Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

That sounds like a lot of fun. Nice job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank ye!

On a later note, is anyone experienced with using the Techmanual to come up with a heavy transport ground unit? I'm looking to adapt this...

For uh... "bizarre" reasons...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Seems like you could replicate it pretty easily as a support vee

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the legacy of corporal dan lives on

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Defiance Industries posted:

Seems like you could replicate it pretty easily as a support vee

Looks like it may be big enough to count as a mobile structure from Tactical Operations. For example, look at the art of this thing with an Awesome standing next to it: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rattler

If the bridge on the front of the vehicle in question is about the size of a warship's bridge, then I can see it being a mobile structure that's like 4 levels tall and 2 hexes long.

Mobile structures can get pretty insane: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wyrm

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What in the living gently caress

This is incredible

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

These are all vehicles built on the planet Focht said didn't have much value beyond the symbolic, by the way.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Wobbies weren't exactly the most rational individuals.

And had plot convenience resources.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, status update: I am assuming that none of you are a part of The Vanderlin Campaign playing out at The Carcosa Club in Brooklyn, NYC. If you are: close this tab immediately, you hack fraud!

I caved and converted it to a "Large Ground Support Vehicle" as per Techmanual rules. Now, to be clear. This is a false flag unit. This unit exists mainly to launch a heavy dual PPC equipped Marauder from the deck and then spin to block the 4/6 Supply Trucks from escaping this narrow canyon trap I've laid out for them. If I get lucky, this fucker will get to do a Tokyo Drift and essentially be a roadblock for the Supply Trucks so BLUFOR has a motivation to engage this unit and try to destroy it. Here is my first draft at a record sheet for this beast:

To be clear, this thing takes up three 1.75" hexes (heroscape) so I wonder if I should go back in and edit it. Double AC/5 and an LRM10 on each side should be enough to cover ground, I think?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I feel like chewing through all that armour will make for a super boring time

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

To be clear, this thing takes up three 1.75" hexes (heroscape) so I wonder if I should go back in and edit it. Double AC/5 and an LRM10 on each side should be enough to cover ground, I think?

Due to the way firing arcs work vehicle side weapons can't fire into the front or rear arcs which is a pretty big hole for the players to exploit. If that's not intentional you might want to bump two of the AC/5s up into the turret.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Endman posted:

I feel like chewing through all that armour will make for a super boring time

It's only 45 armor a side. Hit it with a couple of plasma rifle shots and it's done.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

It's only 45 armor a side. Hit it with a couple of plasma rifle shots and it's done.

Yeah, if you get a reasonably gunned heavy into the proper arc that thing's dead in two turns. Three with bad dice luck.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ahh, no worries then. I’m probably just thinking too much in the context of my lovely succession war lance and their inability to even strip paint off of things half the time :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Slow vehicles can die very fast, much faster than 'mechs with similar total armour values, because they won't have high to-hit mods, they won't be able to enter terrain types that offer a lot of protection, and their hit location tables have very little random variance to the locations that get hit.

That last one especially is why that thing will be easily melted by something with a couple of PPCs and some secondary weapons like a Marauder or Warhammer. There's a high chance of all weapons hitting the same spot rather than being spread around like with a 'mech.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, I slapped a Gauss Rifle onto the top turret in order to help balance things out. Considering it's the backup for when my players first encounter Clan Smoke Jaguar (as determined by 1d6 roll) before it shockingly betrays them and launches a Marauder from its deck, that ought to be pretty fun, no?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was a late pledge through CrowdOx, is there still a way to see all of the backer updates from Catalyst Games on their Kickstarter page? Logged into both Kickstarter, and CrowdOx, and I still can't see all of the updates, it says I need to be a backer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think I'm now the only person alive with an entire company of Bannson's Raiders. Yes, I'm stupid. I like their colors.

You've seen Mars Lance already (Locust, Phoenix Hawk, Annihilator, Rifleman)

But I also have Street Lance (Cicada, Hatchetman, Atlas, Victor)

and Moon Lance! (Enforcer, Hellspawn, BattleMaster, Cataphract)

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think I'm now the only person alive with an entire company of Bannson's Raiders. Yes, I'm stupid. I like their colors.

You've seen Mars Lance already (Locust, Phoenix Hawk, Annihilator, Rifleman)

But I also have Street Lance (Cicada, Hatchetman, Atlas, Victor)

and Moon Lance! (Enforcer, Hellspawn, BattleMaster, Cataphract)

Everything is good, but the cockpit on that Battlemaster is just perfect. Nice job!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Given that coronavirus will likely be delaying the release of the boxed set until IRL 3049, I've just gotten some extremely good MWO 3D prints recommended to me by Stanyer89:

Here's the shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HesperusIIMinis

Honestly some of the best 3D-printed mechs I've ever seen. Scaled very well with the current minis. Really good poses too.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 19, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought dozens from that guy, they’re amazing. Gonna start painting this week!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrPop posted:

Given that coronavirus will likely be delaying the release of the boxed set until IRL 3049, I've just gotten some extremely good MWO 3D prints recommended to me by Stanyer89:

Here's the shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HesperusIIMinis

Honestly some of the best 3D-printed mechs I've ever seen. Scaled very well with the current minis. Really good poses too.

Ooh my! These are awesome. I need to figure out how to get a refund for my Kickstarter order and spend it all on these.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Why would you do that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrPop posted:

Why would you do that

Cause Catalyst has totally dropped the ball on their Kickstarter?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No they haven't? Wave one's been delayed a month due to the manufacturer springing an equipment upgrade on them and wave 2 is still on schedule since most of that work is getting the 3D renders finished.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Wave 1 is still (currently) scheduled to ship to backers at the end of April. Delivery date slippage of ~one month is a monumental success on all fronts for a kickstarter this large.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Particularly given how uphill getting projects started in China is at present

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Cause Catalyst has totally dropped the ball on their Kickstarter?

I don't think that's a fair read on what's gone down at all. Like others have said immediately above, so far the only "official" delay is about a month (and that will probably get longer due to coronavirus). And, as many others have said in the thread during the kickstarter, you should probably have been expecting some delays from the beginning.

Even with several months of delays on Catalyst's end, I wouldn't cancel what I've got pledged. I expected a slow roll-out from the beginning, the third-party minis are just nice extras to tide me over.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 20, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DrPop posted:

(and that will probably get longer due to coronavirus)

Backer Update 86 posted:

Things are getting busy again as we start to ramp back up at the end of the Chinese Lunar New Year, and so far our factories are reporting that the virus shouldn't cause excessive delays.

Yes, the manufacturer could be lying to them (that's always a risk with China), but Catalyst has been great about sending actual updates on the status of the project. If there is a delay, we'll know as soon as they do, which is also a best-case scenario for a Kickstarter project.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wrong thread

Part of me has a morbid curiosity about how bad some of the kickstarter-submitted characters will be. Fortunately they're far more limiting on the information that they'll allow compared to what the Battletech game allowed.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 21, 2020

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
A bunch of those were gone over this week. Yes, some of them were ... special.

Fortunately, with only 80 words to work with for the pilot cards, a lot of the worst elements can be cut due to the perfectly legit issue of wordcount.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I got Bethany Cochraine submitted, that's all I care about.

Of course, I also left her as open as can be. Current or former Steel Viper, intelligence analyst, sometimes pilots a Hunchback IIC. Done.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In about 16 hours, we're about to find out what happens when you put a highly skilled lance of corporate mercenaries between the rock (a Clan star decided via 1d6 roll, mech by mech) and a hard place (a land carrier that can launch a Marauder off the deck for a +2 Jump MP) that has a Gauss rifle bolted on top.

Holy gently caress, this is going to get absolutely buckwild if I get everything right. I even drew up characters and wrote various melodramatic blurbs for me to deliver in-character!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm just going to leave this here, because it's perfect.

It's like the perfect half-way point between the old Skinny Jeans Atlas and the PGI Fatlas.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm a huge fan of the Orion, becauae the head (with antenna) and torso in side profile are the same shape as the constellation Orion.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Are these from the Kickstarter? If so, that's encouraging. I really like the compromise between old and new aesthetics. I always preferred the old stuff to the weird "hypermodern" take done by MWO, but this is great too.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Endman posted:

Are these from the Kickstarter? If so, that's encouraging. I really like the compromise between old and new aesthetics. I always preferred the old stuff to the weird "hypermodern" take done by MWO, but this is great too.

Yes, these are lineart from the Kickstarter update postes today. There is also art of the Marauder II and Crusader.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I liked the Crusader's LRM cuffs, always been a fan of that launcher style.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I liked the Crusader's LRM cuffs, always been a fan of that launcher style.

The new lineart for the Crusader has made me actually like the Crusader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got my fan made 3d printed models today. What size hexagon bases do I need to get for these figures? They didn't come with bases.