Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One of my favorite things about Gothic and Elex is that you can and will run into high-level poo poo that you don't stand a chance against, and wont for a while unless you find a weird way to cheese them. Running away is absolutely something you need to do, a lot, early on. It gives you a memorable reason to go back there later when you're more powerful.

All those games are also really good at communicating relative threat levels.

You can take on the weirdly aggressive muta-turkey with a large stick if you can jump out of its way. The mutated boars look more physically imposing and are consequently harder to fight. A single goblin doesn't look like much and is indeed a pushover, but a group of them will murder you. A snapper looks like a thing you should stay away from and so does the man-sized bug warning you to not get closer.

There are no lvl5 and lvl20 versions of the same creature. If you see a rat it's going to have the strength of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/panstasz/status/1230508819551309826?s=19

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Elex is awful and janky and I can't wait to play more of the same

:same:

Elex is janky in every conceivable way, the platonic ideal of jank, but the world it portrayed was great thanks to being a post apocalyptic game not set on Earth.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

OutOfPrint posted:

:same:

Elex is janky in every conceivable way, the platonic ideal of jank, but the world it portrayed was great thanks to being a post apocalyptic game not set on Earth.

According to Steam I played Elex for 68 hours. I never did finish the story because I'm slow like that, but I figure if I enjoyed the game enough to play it for 68 hours then I got my money's worth out of it. I never played any of the Gothic games or Risen.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Elex is okay to good depending on your jank / PB love, but doesn’t do much interesting with its best asset: the jet pack. The little warehouse you run into in the first 30m is practically the only thing in the entire game designed for it.

Great foundation for an Elex 2 though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Iverron posted:

Elex is okay to good depending on your jank / PB love, but doesn’t do much interesting with its best asset: the jet pack. The little warehouse you run into in the first 30m is practically the only thing in the entire game designed for it.

Great foundation for an Elex 2 though.
You can fly into the cleric base around the bouncer at the entrance, and start stealing poo poo before you're even allowed inside.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's also the easiest way to break into the garbage dump outside of Starting Town. Just walk into town, jump off the cliff, and stop yourself before you go splat at the bottom. Conservation of momentum is for chumps.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

You can fly into the cleric base around the bouncer at the entrance, and start stealing poo poo before you're even allowed inside.

That’s not really a design so much as clever avoidance of game mechanics. But yeah the jet pack rules I just wish the game wouldn’t be 99.9% the same without it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Iverron posted:

That’s not really a design so much as clever avoidance of game mechanics.

That's why it's good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iverron posted:

That’s not really a design so much as clever avoidance of game mechanics. But yeah the jet pack rules I just wish the game wouldn’t be 99.9% the same without it.

Avoiding challenges by being clever with the tools you’re given in ways that are likely unintended is half the fun of eurojank games. It’s like the opposite of Prey, which is a game that’s got a very detailed simulation going on so you solve problems like you would in real life. Elex, Gothic and the like are very game-y, you know the rules of that game can be exploited, whether it’s from glitchy physics or strict AI behavior, and you can go hog wild with it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
To pick back up on an old thing, I've been itching for a "you're ridiculously overpowered and basically spend the game terrorizing the enemy" game like Crysis but all I've got is Crysis 2. :(

Besides Doom 2016, are there any more recent ones like that?

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is sort of an oblique recommendation but SUPERHOT and other murder puzzlers are really the only things I can think of, the issue being that it's more of a, you clown on people on a success run rather than as a matter of course.

E: Oh and that Trepang 2 demo where you are a grossly over-powered karate and gun slow-mo man.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

To pick back up on an old thing, I've been itching for a "you're ridiculously overpowered and basically spend the game terrorizing the enemy" game like Crysis but all I've got is Crysis 2. :(

I can't think of any FPS ones but (most of) Saints Row 4 and the Prototype games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Maximum Action? With cheats.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Shadow of Mordor/War is basically that as an open-world game. Terrifying the poo poo out of orcs is literally a game mechanic. There are just so many ways to gently caress with them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

niche genre but ace combat 7 of all things

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

AC7 loving owns.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Irritated Goat posted:

I feel kinda like the Dishonored games are the stealth version of this, but they do depend on you being skilled with your tools and embracing chaos (literally).

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
12. Super Time Force Ultra
13. Touhou Luna Nights
14. Spark the Electric Jester 2
15. Serious Scramblers
16. PONCHO
17. Umihara Kawase
18. Noita
19. Rain World

20. 8BitBoy

I always get very nervous when developers say they’re paying tribute to the games of their youth. Being inspired by something to make something new is fine, but making a game specifically to emulate other games rarely amounts to much. Case in point is 8BitBoy, a game that wants to remind you of the Marios and Jazz Jackrabbits of your youth, and in doing so brings its own faults into sharp focus. It’s not even that bad on its own, but once the annoyances and inconsistencies start adding up, you’ll be wishing you were playing something from the 80s instead.

8BitBoy starts like any other classic platformer, with a depressive episode from the main character as they lament their wasted life and how they’re clearly not going to amount to anything. The solution to this is obviously video games, so they dig their old console out of the basement and plug in a creepypasta cartridge with no label that just happened to be laying around. Lo and behold, they are zapped into a video game just like the good old days, where they’ll have to run, jump, and huck fire at birds and bird-adjacent creatures to reach the end of the adventure and… validate their existence? I didn’t finish it so I don’t know if the hero finds meaning in their life or dies alone in front of their TV or becomes off-brand Captain N or something.

I need to insert something here because I have the store page open on my other monitor and I just noticed it promises “8-12 hours main story!”. I’ve seen some inflated estimates before (and I completely understand the desire) but I would be absolutely shocked if this game took the average person more than 2 hours to beat. I spent a little under an hour on it today and got halfway through the fourth world out of five. Also there is no “story” between the opening cutscene and whatever the ending is, because it’s just pure platforming through ten levels per world and then you touch your magic console inside the game to get warped to the next world, for some reason.

I do want to back up and state that the platforming itself isn’t all that bad, and is in fact pretty fun for the first world or two. Your hero is plenty swift with their normal move speed, they have a run button akin to good ol’ Mario, and their jumps are high and also adjustable by button press. Powerups come in the form of fruit, allowing you to shoot a red bouncing ball, two green bouncing balls, or two speedy fireballs as you stack pickups. There’s also a shield that takes a hit for you, more time which helps if you’re exploring a lot, and the occasional 1-up. Levels have plenty of secrets hidden off of invisible blocks and pass-through walls, including coins, extra powerups, and one special coin hidden in each level. From the start this will feel like a perfectly competent indie platformer, with no surprises but solid fundamentals.

The further you go, though, the more oddities will start cropping up as the challenges mount. Nothing in the game feels entirely consistent, and it’s most apparent with blocks you break from above. These blocks vanish when you fall on them, giving you a little boost back into the air, but if you don’t fall far enough first or land on them from too sharp an angle, they won’t break. Certain enemies pace back and forth on platforms, except when they don’t and decide to march right off into your face. There are conveyor belts that will launch you great distances, but only if you DON’T hold the run button on them. Once you’re making single-block leaps over death pits with birds buzzing by, details like this start to make a real difference.

Even beyond the wonky mechanics, there’s just not a lot of ambition here. Almost all your foes are rotund birds that pace or throw things, and the bosses of each world are all recolors of the same giant bird. You have lives but they’re essentially pointless, because levels don’t have checkpoints and you reload your state at the last level you entered when you lose all your lives, points and coins and powerups included. And coins don’t give you more lives, they give you a random powerup which can be something you already have. I appreciate wanting to make something that recaptures the magic of classic games, but it needs to be something that builds on it, instead of crudely imitating. Hopefully all these nostalgic developers will see that someday, but I’m not holding my breath.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tank Mechanic Simulator or something is out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/407130/Tank_Mechanic_Simulator/

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I can't wait to get mad at how needlessly complicated German tanks are to repair.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The Joe Man posted:

G2->G1->R1->Elex

It's enjoyable and scratches some of the same itches (varied quest outcomes, factions/armor, exploring where you shouldn't), but it can be pretty copy/paste and uninspired at times.

I have a soft spot for Elex because after a while I went to the first faction leader you find, asked to join and he enumerated all the quests I had done until that point, how many times I had helped/hindered them and went "gently caress you, you're an rear end in a top hat, go away."

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Avoiding challenges by being clever with the tools you’re given in ways that are likely unintended is half the fun of eurojank games. It’s like the opposite of Prey, which is a game that’s got a very detailed simulation going on so you solve problems like you would in real life. Elex, Gothic and the like are very game-y, you know the rules of that game can be exploited, whether it’s from glitchy physics or strict AI behavior, and you can go hog wild with it.

My point was that it would be nice if the best part of the game didn’t feel like a last minute addition since vertical exploration loving owns after decades of being chained to the ground in these games.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Breaking progression is probably one of my favorite things to do in games. Games that try to prevent you in every conceivable way from doing so annoy me a lot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Irritated Goat posted:

Dishonored games are fantastic for that. The entire premise is thatthe protagonist is way too overpowered for this poo poo so the only thing that limits them are their morals or lacks thereof.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dramicus posted:

I can't wait to get mad at how needlessly complicated German tanks are to repair.

There’s a reason the 2001 models are so cheap on Craigslist.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Games that make you feel like you got one over on the devs by doing something they didn't consider or just breaking something are the best (even if it was actually intended by the devs)

Nothing gives you that feeling like eurojank

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

Games that make you feel like you got one over on the devs by doing something they didn't consider or just breaking something are the best (even if it was actually intended by the devs)

Nothing gives you that feeling like eurojank

The amid evil AGDQ 2020 run was a good live example of this.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cowcaster posted:

Alright, so, I'm going to need you to expand on this.

I've been eyeballing AC7 for some time but I just wasn't sure how batshit things got cause I don't just want a bog standard plane shoot game, I want nigh shmup esque scenarios where I can send out volleys of missiles to destroy a wall of planes but from third person.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Irritated Goat posted:

Could go for the obvious parallel to Crysis: Any and all of the Aliens vs. Predator games. Even the most recent one had some decent Predator fun even if it was obscenely short.

I've also always been intrigued by Predator: Concrete Jungle (PS2) but I don't know a lot about it or how easily you can get your hands on it or if it emulates worth a drat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Deakul posted:

I've been eyeballing AC7 for some time but I just wasn't sure how batshit things got cause I don't just want a bog standard plane shoot game, I want nigh shmup esque scenarios where I can send out volleys of missiles to destroy a wall of planes but from third person.

AC7 lets you put 88 8AAM missiles on an F22. That means that your special weapon can fire 11 salvoes at 8 different targets.

That’s on top of the 150+ regular missiles.

The DLC missions own, too, one gives you so many air targets to go nuts on.

E:Mission 11 lets you sink an aircraft carrier, destroy two giant oil-rig style military bases piece by piece, and shoot down a few dozen planes and helicopters. It’s hard to do ALL that under the time limit, but you can when you’re really good. It’s a really fun score attack level, go watch it on YouTube.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I thought the appeal of JetFigher games was their plausible realism? Right?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hah, not Ace Combat. This is a series that thrives on insane cinematic bullshit like flying through tunnels, giant laser towers and jousting but with JETS while spanish guitar plays.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Deakul posted:

it's closer to a star fox or a wing commander than a frumpy down-to-earth flight simulator and anime as hell so it might fit your bill. your planes are equipped with like 100 missiles each and you shoot down dozens of enemies in a big furball in most missions. and the fact you're racking up 100s of kills over the course of the game is reflected in enemy radio chatter as the campaign goes on, with people freaking out when you show up and in later missions just loving ditching when they identify you (100% fluff only, you'll still be shooting down hordes of targets in a big clusterfuck)

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 20, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hah, not Ace Combat. This is a series that thrives on insane cinematic bullshit like flying through tunnels, giant laser towers and jousting but with JETS while spanish guitar plays.

Definitely my favorite video game song featuring castanets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4Jx76vSTk

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Looks like Kingdom Under Fire 2 is getting a free weekend.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Ace Combat is as realistic as Metal Gear Solid.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Samuringa posted:

Ace Combat is as realistic as Metal Gear Solid.

that's such an obvious comparison i'm embarassed i didn't think of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Apparently this just got stealth released onto Game Pass, too.