Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I got a six hour ban on the discord channel last night but it still won't let me into the channels? Can someone get in touch with the moderators?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lol wyd

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Got soaked to the bone manning a picket in Manchester today. It was great and very few staff scabbed. RLB spoke to us, fairly standard stuff but she was clear in her support, we also had some great support from proper lefty students and mcr momentum as well as a few other union branches. It's going to be a tough few weeks especially if the weather keeps on like that but spirits were high and there were plenty of thermoses of coffee doing the rounds.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Apologies if this has been mentioned, but Der Starmer's leaflets have gone out.

The slogan: "Integrity; Authority; Unity"

sigh

ed: also the front of the envelope had "Contains: integrity; authority; unity"

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WhatEvil posted:

Good vid about why Starmer is poo poo, and more broadly, the soft left are poo poo:

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1230537399991705602?s=20

Tweet doesn't exist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CGI Stardust posted:

Apologies if this has been mentioned, but Der Starmer's leaflets have gone out.

The slogan: "Integrity; Authority; Unity"

sigh

ed: also the front of the envelope had "Contains: integrity; authority; unity"

How appropriate, it sounds like a health warning.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

StarkingBarfish posted:

Got soaked to the bone manning a picket in Manchester today. It was great and very few staff scabbed. RLB spoke to us, fairly standard stuff but she was clear in her support, we also had some great support from proper lefty students and mcr momentum as well as a few other union branches. It's going to be a tough few weeks especially if the weather keeps on like that but spirits were high and there were plenty of thermoses of coffee doing the rounds.

Hell yeah I knew the emo kids were alright!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

i posted a tasteful collage of a classic piece of art and a modern political cartoon about amy klobuchar

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

WhatEvil posted:

Good vid about why Starmer is poo poo, and more broadly, the soft left are poo poo:

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1230537399991705602?s=20

"This Tweet is unavailable"

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Ms Adequate posted:

Hell yeah I knew the emo kids were alright!

Best was when a bunch of 'em saw an swp banner down the road and went to tell them to gently caress off. These kids are clued in!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Trin Tragula posted:

"This Tweet is unavailable"

Lungboy posted:

Tweet doesn't exist.

Ah sorry try this one:

https://twitter.com/novaramedia/status/1230537712844890115?s=20

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/1230508100819595264
https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1230534718199869442

I think it's still likely for RLB to win the leadership race; this might have legs

ronya fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 20, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
oh look it's the Beeb being shitheads again:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

i posted a tasteful collage of a classic piece of art
shepherdess feet?

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

When this story was first appearing I was looking to find out what had gone on and what the motive was and noticed it was weirdly sedately reported with no rampant speculation about deaths and links to terrorism so I assumed it was some neo nazi. It's kind of awful how differently it's reported that right from the start you can tell who the perpetrators and victims will be.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Julio Cruz posted:

Actually there's an even more lovely bit in the article, which I posted in CSPAM:

BBC Security Correspondent - Why He Dun It posted:

The problem has been particularly acute in - but not confined to - the east of the country, in the former East Germany. There, unemployment levels have been higher than in the rest of Germany and a simmering resentment, by some, of the recent immigrant arrivals has manifested itself in arson attacks on hostels.

In 2015 Germany opened its borders to an estimated 1.5 million refugees from the Middle East. Although the number of subsequent incidents involving them has been very small, their arrival has been used by far right extremists to stoke ethnic tensions and recruit more young men and women to their cause.

The Germans reaping what they've sown by accepting all those refugees according to international law, unlike us sensible Brits.

e:

Algol Star posted:

When this story was first appearing I was looking to find out what had gone on and what the motive was and noticed it was weirdly sedately reported with no rampant speculation about deaths and links to terrorism so I assumed it was some neo nazi. It's kind of awful how differently it's reported that right from the start you can tell who the perpetrators and victims will be.

This is even more obvious with todays London Mosque stabbing. A white young guy stabbing the muezzin during prayer hard to see any possibility of a terror attack. I'm not saying it is, necessarily, but if that was a young Muslim stabbing churchgoers in a prominent church during prayer I'm sure the media would have been just as restrained.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 20, 2020

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

I got a six hour ban on the discord channel last night but it still won't let me into the channels? Can someone get in touch with the moderators?

Sorted.

You should have had access to one channel with just you and the mods though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Surely to god saying "I will of course serve the next party leader in whatever capacity I am able" is just the done thing? Like when you concede the other person wins power and you say "I'm here to work with the PM/President for the good of the country"?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Private Speech posted:

Actually there's an even more lovely bit in the article, which I posted in CSPAM:

The Germans reaping what they've sown by accepting all those refugees, unlike us sensible Brits.

Congratulations on missing off the first paragraph, which explains that the "problem" is in fact Nazis:

quote:

Nazi salutes, banned swastika emblems and even the playing of the Horst Wessel, the one-time Nazi "anthem" - all have been cropping up in far-right extremist circles as Germany struggles to contain a growing wave of home-grown extremism.

It is absolutely the case that Alternative fur Deutschland have been using the arrival of the refugees to stoke racial tensions, and their strongholds are all in the more economically depressed East. The BBC are reporting facts here, I don't know where you got this idea that they're saying "Germany's got a problem with racism because of the refugees - good job we're too racist to take refugees in the first place!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nazis are, ironically enough, the one problem that should be solved with nazis methods.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Jedit posted:

It is absolutely the case that Alternative fur Deutschland have been using the arrival of the refugees to stoke racial tensions, and their strongholds are all in the more economically depressed East. The BBC are reporting facts here, I don't know where you got this idea that they're saying "Germany's got a problem with racism because of the refugees - good job we're too racist to take refugees in the first place!"

How does it explain it? It's obvious the problem is nazis - but why point out that Germany has "opened its borders", when, in reality, it was just following international law? And was not alone in doing so, at that. The number of people granted asylum by Germany in 2015 (and also more recently) was less than 50%, unlike with Sweden's 70% it's hard to call that generous.

Wikipedia posted:

In 2015, Germany made 282,762 decisions on asylum applications; the overall asylum recognition rate was 49.8%.

What I'm saying is they should have written "the arrival of significant number of refugees has been leveraged by the German far right", rather than "Germany has opened it's borders to 1.6 million refugees which led to arson attacks".

Opening implying an active change rather than a decision to follow the law.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 20, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mehall posted:

Sorted.

You should have had access to one channel with just you and the mods though.

If the mods don't start every post with SILENCE! then someone has dropped the ball badly.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Real life coinciding with Goon World:

I have a little project on at the moment and it involves matching certain postcodes to MPs... I entered a postcode and the MP is JBrereton!

Anyway, that's my story.

yeah he keeps trying to pretend it's not him, which exactly what a tory MP would do isn't it??

Jedit posted:

I feel like describing violent terrorist attacks against a vulnerable minority as "because of high unemployment" is veering a little too close to LEGITIMATE CONCERNS, and that bad phrasing is followed by "opened its borders to 1.5 million refugees" so yeah. It's not about the facts, it's how you present them as a narrative

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

How does it explain it? It's obvious the problem is nazis - but why point out that Germany has "opened its borders", when, in reality, it was just following international law? And was not alone in doing so, at that. The number of people granted asylum by Germany in 2015 (and also more recently) was less than 50%, unlike with Sweden's 70% it's hard to call that generous.

What I'm saying is they should have written "the arrival of significant number of refugees has been leveraged by the German far right", rather than "Germany has opened it's borders to 1.6 million refugees which led to arson attacks".

Opening implying an active change rather than a decision to follow the law.
Merkel also shoved Turkey a bunch of cash to close their borders and keep people there, so presenting the current administration as making some kind of change for the better is disingenuous.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

marktheando posted:

I appreciate you being more nuanced on the topic of independence coolcab. The thing with the SNP splitting is, well you say so yourself it's a big tent. I can't see why young left wing activists and tartan tories would be in the same party any more without independence as a shared goal.

Because it's the party that currently has hegemonic power in Scotland and doing a Scottish version of the CUKTIG thing isn't going to get their goals achieved?

I mean, people talk about the inevitability of the SNP splitting, but that doesn't make so. A number of countries have or have had free and fair elections and yet are basically one-party states where all the actual useful politicking at a national level happens within the party. Consider the ANC in South Africa, for example, which has ruled the country ever since it voted Yes in 1994.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They voted Yes in 1992, then ANC in 1994, but yeah, the ANC, SWAPO, and parties like that often coast on "we forced the good thing to happen" for decades.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

feedmegin posted:

Because it's the party that currently has hegemonic power in Scotland and doing a Scottish version of the CUKTIG thing isn't going to get their goals achieved?

I mean, people talk about the inevitability of the SNP splitting, but that doesn't make so. A number of countries have or have had free and fair elections and yet are basically one-party states where all the actual useful politicking at a national level happens within the party. Consider the ANC in South Africa, for example, which has ruled the country ever since it voted Yes in 1994.

Or the LDP in Japan, aside from a couple of brief stints they've been in office since 1955.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'd say Singapore but there's considerable limits on things like demonstrations and free speech, so depends how you look at it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Just seen this:

"Scottish Parliament just voted to give all adults* resident in Scotland the right to vote in Holyrood and council elections. Based on last time, should apply to the next indyref too.

*except prisoners serving over 12 months"

Good stuff. Get it enacted.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Also there's inevitably going to be some heavy economic weather following Scottish independence and it's very easy for the SNP to sell that as "The English are loving us over" in the exact same way the Tories are going to do with Europe over Brexit, so they can keep themselves relevant on more than "Hey we got you independence" for quite some time.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
In the case of an hypothetical Scottish independence, what would happen with the Union itself? Would it need to be reformed into another entity or it can just continue as it is?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

In the case of an hypothetical Scottish independence, what would happen with the Union itself? Would it need to be reformed into another entity or it can just continue as it is?

It wouldn't NEED to be, there's no constitutional issue. It'd just look a bit silly.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Eh given how poo poo the other major parties in Scotland are, the SNP will be in power for the foreseeable future, independence or no independence, but I can't imagine that lasting for decades and decades like Japan. Since the alternative is endless tory rule, I'll take it.

Angry Lobster posted:

Which union do you mean? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would obviously be replaced by The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, or do you mean the union of the crowns? Liz would still be queen in Scotland. But I'm not sure if she would be Queen of Britain, or Queen of Scots and also Queen of England.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

Eh given how poo poo the other major parties in Scotland are, the SNP will be in power for the foreseeable future, independence or no independence, but I can't imagine that lasting for decades and decades like Japan. Since the alternative is endless tory rule, I'll take it.

Which union do you mean? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland would obviously be replaced by The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, or do you mean the union of the crowns? Liz would still be queen in Scotland. But I'm not sure if she would be Queen of Britain, or Queen of Scots and also Queen of England.

I mean, the LDP's unchallenged ascendancy owes a significant debt to the CIA, so I guess it depends what foreign intelligence agencies Sturgeon is feeling particularly friendly towards.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1230581899829161992?s=20

Lol I saw this and thought "Ha, I bet she got him because he did the olympics ceremony" and then in the first 3 seconds of the video "Olympics" is on the screen on its own, white text on black background. The whole video is literally about that.

loving libs.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Why confront the existential threats to our party when we can make gotchas?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

FFFfffff

https://twitter.com/jasebyjason/status/1230595563718139911?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

pisshead posted:

Why confront the existential threats to our party when we can make gotchas?
I don't know his current location.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

marktheando posted:

The first one, didn't think about the crowns and titles but you're right, she would still be Queen, which is kinda funny. How popular is the monarchy in Scotland nowadays? Last data I saw some years ago showed that at least half of the Scottish population did not support the monarchy, has Brexit changed this trend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
LOL - don't know where this person is from!

https://twitter.com/katie_eckler/status/1229987833181614081?s=20