Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Booley posted:

Painted a few things.

Christ Booley your poo poo belongs in an exhibition hall.

For clarification, is that dread a modified Culn?

DandyLion fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hi folks, just a quick rando question. i have an absolute shitton of warhammy stuff from like 6th-7th edition and earlier. im assuming i need all new rulebooks other than the big one. do all the forge world models need updated rulebooks too and how many hundreds of dollars will they cost?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

ffoecaf posted:

I need a techmarine for my Adepticon list,and I really love the Iron Father Feirros model. I'm not playing Iron Hands, so I am looking to convert him into one.

So, for anyone that owns him, are there a bunch of Iron Hands symbols that would require trimming? And is his base significantly larger than the basic techmarine?

Look at the last page, I did exactly that. He's on a 40mm base, which will be problematic at events, and is going to be pretty tough to fit on a 32.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sneakyfrog posted:

hi folks, just a quick rando question. i have an absolute shitton of warhammy stuff from like 6th-7th edition and earlier. im assuming i need all new rulebooks other than the big one. do all the forge world models need updated rulebooks too and how many hundreds of dollars will they cost?

They do, but the rulebooks for FW are getting replaced this year, so don't buy them.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DandyLion posted:

Christ Booley your poo poo belongs in an exhibition hall.

For clarification, is that dread a modified Culn?

Yeah, the leviathan is culln with red scorpions iconography filed off.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Booley posted:

They do, but the rulebooks for FW are getting replaced this year, so don't buy them.

thanks friend.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Booley posted:

Look at the last page, I did exactly that. He's on a 40mm base, which will be problematic at events, and is going to be pretty tough to fit on a 32.

Can you put a 32 mm base under the 40 mm base and measure from that?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

thanks friend.

Pick up your faction codex and the core rules, use battlescribe for the rest.

There is a potential edition bump coming in the next year so don't but in too hard imo.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Ok I’m stretching for some of them, but the Armoured Orcs and Ossiarch Bonereapers are totally space marines.

How are Bonereapers like space marines? They look nothing like them, and gameplay wise they're a melee army centered on blocks of 10-40 hard to kill dudes who regenerate.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Preem Palver posted:

How are Bonereapers like space marines? They look nothing like them, and gameplay wise they're a melee army centered on blocks of 10-40 hard to kill dudes who regenerate.

*Points at seagull*
SPACE MARINE

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How easy is it to scrub paint off with Simple Green? Also, any good tips on detaching a model from a base? Looking at some good deals on poorly painted poo poo on eBay

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have done that but keep in mind some folks paint their poo poo in horrible amounts or weird rear end paints.

caveat emptor

that being said simple green treatment is pretty much drop in simple green, walk away come back a day or so later depending on what the base model is made of and scrub off with a bristle brush

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

SteelMentor posted:

Fuckin' lol at how the WMH players were acting. Every time I hope it's just my local scene that were big ol' assholes someone proves me wrong.

Is page 5 still a thing?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

goose willis posted:

How easy is it to scrub paint off with Simple Green? Also, any good tips on detaching a model from a base? Looking at some good deals on poorly painted poo poo on eBay

It’s generally pretty good but I’ve had better experiences using Super Clean. For example, my Rescue Tyranids which had something like three different thick layers of craft paint on them spent weeks on end in Simple Green and even then it took a lot of rounds of scrubbing and soaking, and not all of the paint came off. Super Clean did the work on one of them overnight and I barely had to scrub.

Just be sure to wear gloves, because Super Clean does not gently caress around. One of the ingredients is sodium hydroxide, which you may recall from chemistry class as the chemical name for lye.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Kitchner posted:

Do they really announce when each turn should be ending like that? That can't be anything other than frustrating, particularly as in theory 3 hours for 6 turns is 30 minutes a turn but in reality it will fluctuate a lot in terms of whether the early turns or later turns take longer depending on the army and stuff.

Not exactly- they use chess clocks or whatever. It’s more of an announcement that if you’re not around that point in the game that you may not be able to finish before the round. It’s a courtesy thing tbh

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn

Booley posted:

Yours looks incredible, I love the red of the armor.

It does look like he'll barely fit on a 32 knowing thats 40. I'm going to try anyway. I'll magnetize him to the base and swap to 40 for friendly games, or add an overhang platform or something if needed.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

DiHK posted:

Is page 5 still a thing?

No, they ditched that with Mk3, only a decade or so too late.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

sneakyfrog posted:

i have done that but keep in mind some folks paint their poo poo in horrible amounts or weird rear end paints.

I bought a tank once only to discover that it had been painted with (I think) the enamel paints that scale modelers used to use all the time. I couldn't get that off without some damage to the vehicle. Fortunately it was destined to be an Ork looted wagon so everything worked out fine in the end, but something to keep in mind when you're rescuing old stuff - sometimes you'll get a dud that has been really hosed up.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Ashcans posted:

something to keep in mind when you're rescuing old stuff - sometimes you'll get a dud that has been really hosed up.

Beware people who manage to gently caress something up using plastic glue, there's only so much you can do to try and save something like that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I ended up with some old meganobs that appeared to be assembled with a two part epoxy.

I still haven't decided to take the time to attempt to clean them up.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Heat might help with epoxy, or at least loosen it up enough to pull the bonds apart by hand (wear gloves or something heat resistant obviously)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So if anyone was curious what the Primaris Librarian looks like kit bashed into a grey Knights librarian the result is not bad:

I think what really sold it here was using the Grey Knight terminator helmet I had knocking about from the Dreadknights.

The Chaplain though doesn't look as good for a couple of reasons. Firstly i used the Primaris chaplain head because it's pretty cool. Secondly it doesn't have a psychic hood at the back of the head. Thirdly, I chickened out and didn't cut back the right shoulder to stick the grey Knight justiciar shoulder on the right.

At the moment I've left it black because it's like the rest of the armour is silver but instead of personal heraldry or the filigree on the right he has a black chaplain sign.

Thing is though a lot of the rest of the model is black due to its robe so I may just paint the right shoulder pad the same colour as the armour to break up the colour a bit.

Spent some time just putting down the base coats on them:

The conversions were pretty easy though. The librarian was just a head swap, cutting off and filing down the right hand and a warding stave can go straight on from the strike squad. The storm bolter was just stuck on with a bunch of plastic glue, was thinking I may have to green stuff the sides but not necessary in the end.

The Chaplain was more of a hassle simply because his right hand was clearly holding a pistol grip, so I swapped it out for a spare strike squad fist holding a sword which is less noticeable. The bigger problem was the pistol holster on his front. It was easy to cut off but left a big ugly hole. In the end I figured I could move his book to the front and it even lines up with the leather belt to the pistol and the strap on the book, and then stuck a grey Knight decoration over the rest of it, looking like it's just another thing dangling down.

If I did the chaplain again I'd use the grey Knight justiciar shoulder on the right for sure, even though it would be a pain.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

goose willis posted:

I've been using Simple Green and it's just not up to the task. I really hoped it would work but it isn't strong enough to loosen the stuff in the nooks and crannies so you lose definition. Also the paint matters - I've been stripping models I painted myself and can say that VMC black in particular is highly resistant to Simple Green. Look elsewhere.

edit: another issue I've found with stripping models with Simple Green is that the models float, so the models' heads and guns are often not sufficiently covered with detergent and I'm wary of supergluing something heavy to the base because I'm just now starting to experiment with pinning my models and I doubt my cheap pin vise bits will bore through metal washers. One Youtouber recommended using ziploc bags but every time I've tried that a model edge or spike has pierced the bag and caused a slow leak.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 20, 2020

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Booley posted:

Painted a few things.

What's this model, it looks sort of like a loyalist version of a plagueburst crawler

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Filthy Hans posted:

What's this model, it looks sort of like a loyalist version of a plagueburst crawler

An Arquitor Bombard, and yes it's the heresy tank the PBC was based on.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Heat might help with epoxy, or at least loosen it up enough to pull the bonds apart by hand (wear gloves or something heat resistant obviously)

Honestly I got them cheap enough that I'll probably not waste the effort.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
What model do people recommend for a thunder hammer storm shield smash captain?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Good Citizen posted:

What model do people recommend for a thunder hammer storm shield smash captain?

Vanguard veterans has fancy jump pack characters with stormshield and thunder hammer. Probably the easiest to do.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I feel like Warmachine for a short time had a bit of a lead on GW for mini design but ehhhhh this doesn't look like the way forward for them.

PP missed their chance about 3/4 years ago at the height of the GW hate.

But that's not surprising, they failed to capitalise with Wm/H and from all reports messed up the game.

At best I see an up hill struggle for PP with this new game.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't there some kind of shenanigans with Press Gangers, too? From what I understand the way they ended that program did not make friends and influence people.

Apparently. Because of what was (still is?) going on with Magic, volunteer programs ended industry wide. It's not even that the law had actually changed, but rather that when part of the Magic lawsuit was not immediately dismissed, it was blood in the water for class action lawyers. Even a moderately sized company may not be able to weather a class action lawsuit, so volunteer programs by for profit companies are dead in the US.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

PP missed their chance about 3/4 years ago at the height of the GW hate.

But that's not surprising, they failed to capitalise with Wm/H and from all reports messed up the game.

At best I see an up hill struggle for PP with this new game.

Warmachine originally appealed to me because it was skirmish as someone else said. The idea of playing with a super powerful but indisposable character model and a bunch of dreadnoughts was very much what I wanted in a game and the jacks/monsters looked awesome. Then they started making it more and more infantry heavy and then much bigger in scale per game and I started to fall off. It was complicated enough and also lots of fun with three jacks, an auxiliary character or two and a unit of dudes.

Even if the new game looked incredible they're launching it with an ascendant GW which is just so hard to go up against. So uphill struggle looks more like doomed expedition, but who knows GW might do something crazy for old times sake.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Even if the new game looked incredible they're launching it with an ascendant GW which is just so hard to go up against. So uphill struggle looks more like doomed expedition, but who knows GW might do something crazy for old times sake.

It would make more sense to revamp and promote a more friendly Warma/hordes set of games. Improve and try get people back playing.

This release is just going to hurt them.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
I’m not sure anyone in here has played Infinity (I havent since 1st edition) but the description of how Warcaster plays sounds similar enough to complicate it as a launch into already populated waters.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

JBP posted:

Warmachine originally appealed to me because it was skirmish as someone else said. The idea of playing with a super powerful but indisposable character model and a bunch of dreadnoughts was very much what I wanted in a game and the jacks/monsters looked awesome.

Same for me. I really liked the gameplay and certain rules, TBH. The warcaster being the "anchor" for your army as far as powering warjacks is really cool to me. Then how they handle line of sight is far better than 40k/Sigmar imo. Doing stuff like your warjacks picking up and throwing another warjack was also wicked fun.

I still have my Khador models and would gladly start playing it again, but the game is dead locally.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I’m not sure anyone in here has played Infinity (I havent since 1st edition) but the description of how Warcaster plays sounds similar enough to complicate it as a launch into already populated waters.

I do, along with a couple of others. The reinforcement rules and unit activation sound like some weird mix of kill team and an FPS deathmatch. Infinity still lives and dies on "it's always your turn" by responding to opponent actions and an order pool which lets you push advantage with a single model.

This looks a lot like Mantic's kill team-esque game to me. Populated waters is right. Even 8e is starting to look a lot like old GW codex creep, AoS seems like the game to beat for players who are tired of it, and this game won't cut it

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

So Privateer Press just announced their scifi kickstarter set 5000 years in the future of warmachine: Warcaster or I guess Warmachine 5k.

https://home.privateerpress.com/warcaster/

Personally I think they kinda hosed up on the design, I would have just assumed these were Infinity miniatures if I scrolled past them.

I literally cannot tell the two(?) factions apart other than their color schemes.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Tbh stuff like Battlescribe makes it hard for me to get too worked up over codex creep.m. Actually paying for Psychic Awakening seems like a big mistake, and even the codex feels more like a lorebook than a rulebook nowadays.

I think the stratagems are the only things you can't just pull up on Battlescribe nowadays?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

The most egregious thing, though, was not giving my girl Ashlynn an epic update. That probably would have kept me in!

You saved yourself some heartache overall, however...

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Stratagems are pay for PA only which is mainly the reason to get the book.

Here is hoping a 9th ed doesn't quash all those books that just all came out. That'd be a pretty GW move though.

I'm interested in future wmh as PP makes a good game. The rules are good an they constantly work towards game balance with direct communication with their player base with the CID.

You can put bigger an bigger games on the community as wmh was built as a low model low points game but ppl wanted to fit grand armiesvala 40k size.

As a company wanting to sell things for money (what a shock) they made giant models an were happy to focus on infantry that people wanted to buy. Careful what you wish for because ppl got exactly that, songle gargantuans and a field flooded with infantry.

So they focused more on heavies less on infantry into mk3. The launch was botched an a ton of creativity left with one guy basically in charge. You need people around you to tell you when something is bad or you just keep making bad decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I haven't bought any of the PA stuff because people are my club don't care if you want to save your $60aud and just have the one extra rule or two in battlescribe or whatever. The fluff is all really underwhelming. I'm tempted to get the Saga of the Beast but it's just going to be another stupid standoff where nothing happens.