Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Still playing through Sword for the first time, I found this Pokémon that reminds me of impmon. I love him. I hope he evolves into something cool (I actually went into this gen pretty blind in terms of the new Pokémon in it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Good grief it's a hassle to get melmetal if you don't really care about Pokemon Go eh? It's not easy really to even just dip in to do the bare minimum. Outside of a few more mundane things and things I am confident I can get from trades that's the main gap in my live pokedex. I hope these get some easier way to get them in the core games eventually.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kurieg posted:

So long as it's still in generation seven I can definitely fix it.

All of my main collection is in Ultra Sun right now so it should be good to go.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Still playing through Sword for the first time, I found this Pokémon that reminds me of impmon. I love him. I hope he evolves into something cool (I actually went into this gen pretty blind in terms of the new Pokémon in it).

I know who you're talking about and if you ever want a gigantmax version of his final evo look me up I've got over 30 of em' at this point.

And yes Impidimp's final evo does in fact rule.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 20, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wurzag posted:

In other news I found my ditto in the end, turns out I'm just an idiot and it was in moon and not ultra moon

If it makes you feel better I've had this happen also with various Pokemon

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I always go into new games blind and imp friend is a very good pokémon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Flopsy posted:

All of my main collection is in Ultra Sun right now so it should be good to go.

I know who you're talking about and if you ever want a gigantmax version of his final evo look me up I've got over 30 of em' at this point.

And yes Impidimp's final evo does in fact rule.

I'm @Kurieg in the pokegoons discord if you want to coordinate the cleansing of your Xurkitree.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

what's even the point of having ivs and evs any more, instead of just giving the mons the highest possible baseline stat growth? tradition? because nobody that's actually doing competitive battling is ever going to run a mon with less than perfect ivs, optimal evs training, and a complimentary nature, so it's not like the random variation in wild pokemon is ever being represented among people that take this game too seriously. it also strikes me as dumb that, if you know how all that poo poo works, you also know that your starter pokemon is going to wind-up mostly useless after about the midway point in the game (unless you have the free time to obsessively restart the intro sequence to get the right point spread).

i feel like, if you're someone that doesn't know/care about ivs and evs then you aren't bothering with them, (so them going away wouldn't impact you) and if you're someone that cares about them a lot you're already only going to maximize them (so having pokemon just default to the maximum value doesn't impact you either). mostly i would just like to be able to use the team of pokemon i play through the game with in the after-game competitive elements, instead of having to breed up and retrain a copy of the exact same pokemon to make sure it's optimally competitive. playing the game normally should produce competitive pokemon!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think IVs and EVs wholesale determining battles is stupid and it should be combined with a probability system to better simulate the Any Given Day nature of competition. basically it'd be an expansion of the Critical Hit system to further vary the power of moves (and also include underpowered attacks)

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

what's even the point of having ivs and evs any more, instead of just giving the mons the highest possible baseline stat growth? tradition? because nobody that's actually doing competitive battling is ever going to run a mon with less than perfect ivs, optimal evs training, and a complimentary nature, so it's not like the random variation in wild pokemon is ever being represented among people that take this game too seriously. it also strikes me as dumb that, if you know how all that poo poo works, you also know that your starter pokemon is going to wind-up mostly useless after about the midway point in the game (unless you have the free time to obsessively restart the intro sequence to get the right point spread).

i feel like, if you're someone that doesn't know/care about ivs and evs then you aren't bothering with them, (so them going away wouldn't impact you) and if you're someone that cares about them a lot you're already only going to maximize them (so having pokemon just default to the maximum value doesn't impact you either). mostly i would just like to be able to use the team of pokemon i play through the game with in the after-game competitive elements, instead of having to breed up and retrain a copy of the exact same pokemon to make sure it's optimally competitive. playing the game normally should produce competitive pokemon!

You can super train EVs to max, you can reset IVs with berries, change natures with mints, change natures with a capsule, and move over bred attacks in the daycare. The only thing that currently can't be done is give a Pokemon their g-max form and give a Pokemon its hidden ability if it didn't already start with one. And I personally don't think that story line Pokemon should equal competitive Pokemon because that's basically two different games.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Freaking Crumbum posted:

what's even the point of having ivs and evs any more, instead of just giving the mons the highest possible baseline stat growth? tradition?

Yeah raising IVs especially feels like busywork to me. It's just something that stretches out time during breeding. Suboptimal configurations and little tweaks can take opponents by surprise though, and I get bored of games without surprises.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah.

Also speed shouldn't be an absolute stat. Every turn should have speed invisibly roll a number between .85 and 1 to multiply speed by much like how attack damage works

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

do u believe in marigolds posted:

You can super train EVs IVs to max

after grinding each individual mon to level 100

you can reset IVs with berries

after grinding a few hours on max raids

change natures with mints

after grinding a few hours on the battle tower

change natures abilities with a capsule

and move over bred attacks in the daycare.

after grinding eggs for a few hours (if you're also going for optimal ivs and nature, or else doing a lot more grinding, as above)

And I personally don't think that story line Pokemon should equal competitive Pokemon because that's basically two different games.

that strikes me as extremely elitist. playing the game along the intended path should produce pokemon that are equally viable in the pve and pvp metas (which are often the exact same thing anyway). requiring players to spend a bunch of hours grinding for arbitrary incremental increases isn't a meaningful differentiator of skill or talent; it just rewards people that have the free time to perform repetitive actions.

i dunno, i just don't see any value in players having to waste hours of their real life to create pokemon to be competitively viable, beyond just catching pokemon and playing with them.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

after grinding eggs for a few hours (if you're also going for optimal ivs and nature, or else doing a lot more grinding, as above)

that strikes me as extremely elitist. playing the game along the intended path should produce pokemon that are equally viable in the pve and pvp metas (which are often the exact same thing anyway). requiring players to spend a bunch of hours grinding for arbitrary incremental increases isn't a meaningful differentiator of skill or talent; it just rewards people that have the free time to perform repetitive actions.

i dunno, i just don't see any value in players having to waste hours of their real life to create pokemon to be competitively viable, beyond just catching pokemon and playing with them.

gently caress that, grind your life away into the video game or don't bother

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I'm @Kurieg in the pokegoons discord if you want to coordinate the cleansing of your Xurkitree.

gently caress dude I'll try but I've said it before discord seriously does not like me. Every attempt I've made at contact on there says something along the lines of "your message has not gone through because this person doesn't know you" or something. Call me loving old but I got no clue how this poo poo is supposed to work.

edit: just tried to accept an invite from the pokemon page and my server went 404. Great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m having some good luck turning shinies from US wormholes (whole looking for legendaries) into actual legendaries on GTS.

I only have a few more to grab before I can decide if I want to be particularly stupid and restart US for more Pokémon trade stock.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
ivs should operate on an absolute point system like evs currently do. you get 93 (or some other arbitrary sub-186 amount) points randomly distributed across your stats, so every pokemon is still relatively unique but 'better' ones don't just have more stats overall. there's still optimisation but you have to make tradeoffs, the same way you have to decide your ev spread.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

ungulateman posted:

ivs should operate on an absolute point system like evs currently do. you get 93 (or some other arbitrary sub-186 amount) points randomly distributed across your stats, so every pokemon is still relatively unique but 'better' ones don't just have more stats overall. there's still optimisation but you have to make tradeoffs, the same way you have to decide your ev spread.

i, too, would like trick room to be even better than it is

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The Mattybee posted:

i, too, would like trick room to be even better than it is

This but unironically. Slow pokemon rule.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Raids and the Battle Tower are the entire postgame of Sword and Shield. If you don't want to engage with them you can just play on Showdown.

Personally I find breeding competitive Pokemon to be a pretty good mindless podcast-listening activity.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Because the battle tower and raids and pvp are the only post game that SwSh has so it's either play that or not play it (which is 100% valid option). So the idea is you're gonna be doing raids anyway so you'll have the XP candies and you'll have the BP cause what else are you doing besides PVP and battle tower, both of which give you BP. Just playing the game gives you the things you need to get/make better pokes. And honestly with all the QoL changes you're incredibly over stating how much time poo poo takes. especially since you can just pass egg moves onto pokes now without hard breeding a new one.

Like after work today with just like 2 hours of bumbling around I got a few good PVP matches and bred an intimidate fake out Litten and Liquid voice Popplio and trained the incineroar up to usuability. It's a p. quick process once you actually engage with it instead of sitting around worrying about how much effort it's going to be.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 21, 2020

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Aren't HAs and potentially-wanted 0 IVs for Speed/Attack the only things you can't get outside of breeding now, anyway? Not to mention said breeding is easy as hell these days, and the Tower rental teams even kick rear end right out of the gate to help you get started.

THAT BEING SAID they need to bring back Battle Factory. Random is best yo. They have all these sets programmed for the AI trainers to use, so let the player use em too!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Aren't HAs and potentially-wanted 0 IVs for Speed/Attack the only things you can't get outside of breeding now, anyway? Not to mention said breeding is easy as hell these days, and the Tower rental teams even kick rear end right out of the gate to help you get started.

Yeah and very rarely do you actually want 0 IV.

Actually Needing them is usually even rarer.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

THAT BEING SAID they need to bring back Battle Factory. Random is best yo. They have all these sets programmed for the AI trainers to use, so let the player use em too!!

Pretty much. It took me a.... very, very long time to get my shiny Magic Bounce 0 IV Speed Hatterene.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Balancing for pvp is what destroys games, pvp people will adapt to whatever you put out and never be happy anyway so should be ignored provided you give them battle systems or whatever to figure it all out themselves, which is what all parties involved would prefer anyway

Berries to reduce EVs is stupid tho, there should be a trainer or bottle cap system to drop them since every other aspect of training involves them

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I've come to very important conclusion today everyone.
We need more spider pokemon. I mean like right loving now. Only three in 8 gens? FOR SHAME! Where my orb weavers at? My black widows? Fucksakes even a daddy long legs would be acceptable!

Ground type trap door spiders, Dark type Ogre face spiders, fairy type Peacock spiders. I'M FEELING DEPRIVED OK???

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 21, 2020

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
totem pokemon loving suck

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Can you bring a totem pokemon into Home?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Flopsy posted:

I've come to very important conclusion today everyone.
We need more spider pokemon. I mean like right loving now. Only three in 8 gens? FOR SHAME! Where my orb weavers at? My black widows? Fucksakes even a daddy long legs would be acceptable!

Ground type trap door spiders, Dark type Ogre face spiders, fairy type Peacock spiders. I'M FEELING DEPRIVED OK???

I couldn't agree more, spiders are great

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Being able to tweak natures and EVs is an essential part of PVP. IVs I can take or leave. Honestly, I’m rarely hurting for bottle caps and they’re a good tool for the developers to tweak difficulty in game. Maybe make it so every mon automatically maxes IVs after hitting lvl100.

I do agree there should be some randomness in speed matchups, though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

I do agree there should be some randomness in speed matchups, though.

I dont think destroying the ability to make calls in pvp would be good

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man I’m getting really into the online this time around. Doubles is fun guys. You get 600BP a month for getting to master rank so actually it gets so easy to make new guys without much hassle (bottlecaps and mints and vitamins and all that)

I got to master the first time entirely with a rented team so don’t let that be a barrier to starting either, you can switch out teams with 0 prep time which is awesome.

This time I got to master with my own team which is a pretty great, different feeling. And now I’m having fun getting ready for next month when there’s gonna be some new stuff like Venusaur and starting to build some pieces around that.

For anyone curious:
Trick room mode:
Snorlax
Clefable (life orb hits harder than people think)
Jellicent

Rain mode:
Ludicolo
Pelipper

Last slot has been rotating (nice thing about not renting), went between Rotom, Darmanitan, was gonna try more but gonna focus on the venusaur team first

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I’m getting really into the online this time around. Doubles is fun guys. You get 600BP a month for getting to master rank so actually it gets so easy to make new guys without much hassle (bottlecaps and mints and vitamins and all that)

I got to master the first time entirely with a rented team so don’t let that be a barrier to starting either, you can switch out teams with 0 prep time which is awesome.

This time I got to master with my own team which is a pretty great, different feeling. And now I’m having fun getting ready for next month when there’s gonna be some new stuff like Venusaur and starting to build some pieces around that.

For anyone curious:
Trick room mode:
Snorlax
Clefable (life orb hits harder than people think)
Jellicent

Rain mode:
Ludicolo
Pelipper

Last slot has been rotating (nice thing about not renting), went between Rotom, Darmanitan, was gonna try more but gonna focus on the venusaur team first

Yeah, I took this month off but ranked is a load of fun. Gen 1/7 starters should add a lot.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah and very rarely do you actually want 0 IV.

Actually Needing them is usually even rarer.

You very rarely use special attackers?

I hatched a shiny Sobble the other day. I wasn't trying to breed for a shiny (can't be bothered with that poo poo), it just popped out. It's a timid girl Sobble and it even had a 0 in Attack and 4 out of the other 5 IVs 31s. She is beautiful and my friend. No particular reason for mentioning this, I just wanted to share.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brick Shipment posted:

Can you bring a totem pokemon into Home?

Yes but it loses what made it special.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Started playing through virtual console Crystal because I have an addictive personality and I'm willing to play a whole-rear end gen-2 game just for one pokemon that I don't have in Home. I played Blue back in the day, but then skipped over to Leafgreen and then X, so it's been a long time since I played such an old pokemon game.

It's really distracting to not be told what a move does before you choose if you learn it or not. And I was completely unaware of the way attack and special attack separated in gen-2. That, and it's kind of hilarious when the pokemon professor has never seen a pokemon egg before and has no idea how pokemon reproduce.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

quote:

Pokemon HOME Will Be Down For Maintenance On February 25th
The Pokemon Company has announced the first scheduled maintenance for Pokemon HOME. On 25 February 2020, Pokemon HOME's services will be down for extended maintenance from 1:30 AM UTC to 11:30 AM UTC.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

They are going to be restoring hyper training to any Pokémon who lost it when it was sent to Home, apparently if you already moved those Pokémon to SwSh that you should move them back to home before maintenance.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

lol prime time in the US

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bobulus posted:

Started playing through virtual console Crystal because I have an addictive personality and I'm willing to play a whole-rear end gen-2 game just for one pokemon that I don't have in Home. I played Blue back in the day, but then skipped over to Leafgreen and then X, so it's been a long time since I played such an old pokemon game.

It's really distracting to not be told what a move does before you choose if you learn it or not. And I was completely unaware of the way attack and special attack separated in gen-2. That, and it's kind of hilarious when the pokemon professor has never seen a pokemon egg before and has no idea how pokemon reproduce.

My biggest advice for Gen 2 is to not try to train up a whole team, the level curve is too lovely. Use 3 or 4 main Pokemon and it feels just right.

Also before you get the Odd egg(the one the daycare man gives you) know that it has a really high shiny chance so you can soft reset for that if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
FunFact: Gen I & II Pokemon brought into Pokemon Bank from the Virtual Console versions automatically get their hidden abilities! So keep that in mind.