Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Excelsiortothemax posted:

That would be cool but for some reason PP is very much anchored to Tinker House Games and I couldn’t find another app or piece of software they have developed since Warroom/Tactics.

Tactics was Whitemoon Dreams not Tinker House but it was also not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tactics was a dumpster fire.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I coincidentally remembered that I have WM:Tactics and loaded it up last night. The game was freezing on the main menu when switching between factions for building a squad

I'm going to try and play the game all the way through, just for the novelty of it, but things aren't starting off well :shrug:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I think I got through the third mission or so? I was bored the entire time.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
the game not being better and taking off must have really hurt PP. They had a really successful kickstarter and I remember non-miniatures friends talking about it then utter disappointment. Like why trust your flagship IP to a basically unknown studio? There were multiple good to great other options

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, I definitely agree on that point.

I also think it was a mistake to have the game be a turn based strategy game at all, that's already what WMH is. An RTS or action game like they originally previewed to showcase stuff in motion would've been much better.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
It was such :effort: too. They didn't even bother putting in things like systems.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I am very cautiously interested in Cygnarspace.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Failson posted:

To be honest I've always just preferred sci-fi anyways. And although I really enjoy infinity, in a lot of ways it seems way over designed to me. I just need next Tuesday to get here because I need gameplay examples.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Failson posted:

S.J. posted:

To be honest I've always just preferred sci-fi anyways. And although I really enjoy infinity, in a lot of ways it seems way over designed to me. I just need next Tuesday to get here because I need gameplay examples.

:same:

Now that my life has settled back down after the last few years, I'm looking for a lead back into the miniatures hobby, so I'm hoping this will give me an excuse. One thing I've always wanted to do is make a diorama that doubles as an army display, so if it piques me enough and the KS price is right, I might finally get around to it.

Narrator: He didn't.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Tactics was such a disappointment and just an overall slog to play through, the actual taking actions, the basic loving basics of the game took so goddamned long to happen. XCOM: EW on my tablet feels more responsive and snappy than Tactics did. Coming out not terribly long before Mk3 hit didn't help either because even little things like 'jacks getting to power up would be a massive improvement. I think I got about halfway through the campaign but the grind of playing it won out in the end. Did they ever release the unit painter or the second campaign?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
seems Dark Seduction was released: https://steamcommunity.com/games/253510/announcements/detail/2499926287036840554

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"-UI has been greatly touched up and improved with more art and smoother usability."

lol not really. I hate to know what it was like before because its still really bad.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I kind of wish they'd just release a rules PDF and let people pick their own models. I mean, I have a hundred unbuilt Scyrah elves and a Tau start collecting box in my closet and I'm pretty sure I can make a reasonable approximation of at least half of the models they showed in the preview in glorious GW plastic instead of getting into another war with their lovely resin and white metal stuff.

My recollection of putting together Khador's Ruin warjack was something like 32 or 37 pins in total putting that thing together, and I *still* had to use sandpaper, greenstuff, and filler putty to close all the gaps from their bad molding processes. Fighting the mold lines was another thing altogether.

Drop the PDF for the demo game rules and I'd happily give the game a shot. If it's fun, I'll even drop a hunny toward a kickstarter starter bundle. But given how lackluster PP's support for products that aren't their mainline WMH titles are, I don't have enough confidence to go in as an early adopter for WMH40k.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Maneck posted:

Hopefully they get their international distribution network in order before they launch the Kickstarter.

I'm hoping they've learned from Widower's Wood and not price the tiers above MSRP.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Best possible Warmachine game would be a Dynasty Warriors style game where you can hot swap between your warcaster and the jacks in their battlegroup.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Best possible Warmachine game would be a Dynasty Warriors style game where you can hot swap between your warcaster and the jacks in their battlegroup.

This is what I was hoping for with the initial trailer. This is all I really wanted.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish the Warmachine PC game had a dedicated community and modding to fix its issues, plus add any new figures that have been added to table top since then. It could be a really good game if PP cared.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It wasn't made by PP, I really don't think there's much they can do about it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

S.J. posted:

It wasn't made by PP, I really don't think there's much they can do about it.

They didn't, this is correct, but PP could have still had the developer (WhiteMoon Dreams) do more. Both parties involved obviously cut a lot of corners and just didn't care about the quality of the work done on the game. They sold people a pretty lackluster barebones experience that was bad. They could have also taken over the project, or did any other number of things and they didn't. Other than abandon it before it was ever really finished.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

How exactly do you propose they 'take over the project'? Or force the developer to do more? How were they even supposed to know how the game would be received on launch? I mean I'm sure they got to play around with the game in development, but PP doesn't create video games, and I doubt they had someone sitting in the WMD office making sure everything was up to snuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

S.J. posted:

How exactly do you propose they 'take over the project'? Or force the developer to do more? How were they even supposed to know how the game would be received on launch? I mean I'm sure they got to play around with the game in development, but PP doesn't create video games, and I doubt they had someone sitting in the WMD office making sure everything was up to snuff.

I don't remember it becoming my job to come up with a gameplan to fix PP's lovely halfbaked projects? :v: They attached their name to it, the responsibility is still on them, but they still contracted someone else to make the game, they could have gone back to them with all of the feedback that is out there, paid them extra to finish the job, or work out something within the confines of the contract to make sure the game was actually finished, because it sure as gently caress isn't. Not really sure why we are making excuses for a poorly under delivered Kickstarter? I know that's the norm for Kickstarters, but doesn't really make right.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm not the one pretending to know how much control PP had over the project. You can sit there and say 'should have' all you want, it doesn't mean much :shrug:. The game came out like rear end but if you've only got so much money and authority then that's just how this poo poo happens some times. It sucks! They should have tried to get an actually established company to work on the game from the beginning. Literally no one is making excuses, this is how lots of things actually happen in real life all the time. Projects come out like poo poo but contracts got signed and money exchanged hands.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

koreban posted:

Drop the PDF for the demo game rules and I'd happily give the game a shot. If it's fun, I'll even drop a hunny toward a kickstarter starter bundle. But given how lackluster PP's support for products that aren't their mainline WMH titles are, I don't have enough confidence to go in as an early adopter for WMH40k.

This was kind of bonkers with regards to Company of Iron - we had a bunch of bored wmh players with existing stuff floating around, releasing a different game to play with your existing models that isn't a new SKU and provides a reason to buy small forces of new factions seemed like such a no brainer. Anything to get past the big pain point of 'i have to buy 75pts of stuff to ever get to play a new faction'.

And then we couldn't get the cards in any kind of timely way so it immediately died on the vine.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Trust me, it wouldn't have mattered much. I was at WMW when it released and we broke that game within about 4-6 hours without even really trying. If they had actually followed up and fixed some of the design it might have been okay, but most of the models weren't worth playing and... yeah. Lots of problems there.

e: Wait, weren't the cards available on drivethru?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Iron Company's issues are that it's not that much simpler nor quicker to play than a normal game of WMH.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

S.J. posted:

Trust me, it wouldn't have mattered much. I was at WMW when it released and we broke that game within about 4-6 hours without even really trying. If they had actually followed up and fixed some of the design it might have been okay, but most of the models weren't worth playing and... yeah. Lots of problems there.

e: Wait, weren't the cards available on drivethru?

The cards are still available on drivethrue, but that fact was not communicated well.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

Iron Company's issues are that it's not that much simpler nor quicker to play than a normal game of WMH.

I disagree that it isn't quicker, but simplicity is a problem. The rules are very poorly layed out - I know SOMEWHERE it says an injured model that gets attacked is boxed but it is very hard to find where, and it makes a number of arbitrary differences between regular WMH that are strong stumbling blocks for those used to them (being knocked down for example). Plus, though I don't know if this is an everywhere problem or just people I know, I'd be the only one to read the rules so not only do I have to interpret and relay them, I also get blamed for making slight errors and no-one else bothers to just read the rules themselves.

The idea of WMH but no warcasters/heavies and alternating model activations is a pretty solid one, I feel, but no-one here would get over the hurdle that 'it isn't a real game' or 'why not just play a full game instead'. It provided another way to use the models we had, with more interesting scenarios and less list skew and the capacity to have more terrain on the table, all things I like. Which is why it is a darn shame no-one else wanted to play it, I really liked the couple of games we played, though we did put a ban on riot quest models since there are a couple of overpowered standouts at that scale and they don't have requisition costs.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Captainicus posted:

I disagree that it isn't quicker, but simplicity is a problem. The rules are very poorly layed out - I know SOMEWHERE it says an injured model that gets attacked is boxed but it is very hard to find where, and it makes a number of arbitrary differences between regular WMH that are strong stumbling blocks for those used to them (being knocked down for example). Plus, though I don't know if this is an everywhere problem or just people I know, I'd be the only one to read the rules so not only do I have to interpret and relay them, I also get blamed for making slight errors and no-one else bothers to just read the rules themselves.

The idea of WMH but no warcasters/heavies and alternating model activations is a pretty solid one, I feel, but no-one here would get over the hurdle that 'it isn't a real game' or 'why not just play a full game instead'. It provided another way to use the models we had, with more interesting scenarios and less list skew and the capacity to have more terrain on the table, all things I like. Which is why it is a darn shame no-one else wanted to play it, I really liked the couple of games we played, though we did put a ban on riot quest models since there are a couple of overpowered standouts at that scale and they don't have requisition costs.

I was way more into the idea Company of Iron than my meta. I could have dabbled in multiple factions, been able to get quick games due to my schedule, and be able to field fully painted armies and not feel upset looking at the giant pile of unpainted models I have. But my meta is super into the tourney scene which has helped it stay through all these years, but also made it so that I really just can't ever get out to game for feeling like I am wasting their practice time.

Hell I might have gotten *more* painted due to knowing hey, I just gotta paint these 3 nihilators instead of, gently caress I got a full unit of immortals, two ancrstrial guardians and a few warbeasts to paint just for this one list.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I tried to love CoI, I really did. But PP made it so drat hard. They really crashed that release. Here's a couple of things I hated:
  • no way to buy the card deck (needed to play) separately from the starter in europe. Thanks for forcing me to buy another unit of Stormblades to play. I think it was available on Drivethrurpg or so, but shipping costs where prohibitive to germany.

• Warroom supported, but costs extra. What. Those two points pretty much killed any interest in the game locally.

• The starter box. As far as I recall it didn't even include the CoI cards for the included units. Why? Why deliver a product without all the rules needed to play it?

• No cheat sheet on how the rules differ from wmh. There where quite a few subtle differences, for example how immunities worked. But you had to read the entire rulebook and pay close attention to any difference to the rules you already knew. Not as easy as it sounds.
The games I played where good, and I liked the card mechanic that rewarded you for taking suboptimal units. The balance felt nice, but thanks to the above points noone in my meta except me bothered with the starter. And as has been said, the games took almost as long as wmh, so people just played that instead.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Everything with multiple wounds was bad. The best lists took lots of dudes, a commander that had you draw lot of cards with a big hand size, and you just stack additional dice from cards whenever possible to turn every roll into a near guarantee.

The fact that jacks were just awful, expensive liabilities was really sad.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
A unit of Overlords with a unit of Drudges was basically S++ God-tier completely 100% the best possible army, to the extent it wasn't even slightly fun. All your stuff has tough, you can trivially remove tough, and you can do high powered attacks that hit multiple units (which was HUGE) through walls. It was just 'the best you can have' at every aspect of the game, as far as all my games went. And, in games I didn't play, we agreed it wouldn't have been close if I had.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

!Klams posted:

A unit of Overlords with a unit of Drudges was basically S++ God-tier completely 100% the best possible army, to the extent it wasn't even slightly fun. All your stuff has tough, you can trivially remove tough, and you can do high powered attacks that hit multiple units (which was HUGE) through walls. It was just 'the best you can have' at every aspect of the game, as far as all my games went. And, in games I didn't play, we agreed it wouldn't have been close if I had.

That's how I usually feel about mindbenders + drudges with Thexus in the regular game :v: The balance was definitely spotty, but that's the exact same feeling I have with the regular game anyway. \

Luebbi posted:

I tried to love CoI, I really did. But PP made it so drat hard. They really crashed that release. Here's a couple of things I hated:
  • no way to buy the card deck (needed to play) separately from the starter in europe. Thanks for forcing me to buy another unit of Stormblades to play. I think it was available on Drivethrurpg or so, but shipping costs where prohibitive to germany.

• Warroom supported, but costs extra. What. Those two points pretty much killed any interest in the game locally.

• The starter box. As far as I recall it didn't even include the CoI cards for the included units. Why? Why deliver a product without all the rules needed to play it?

• No cheat sheet on how the rules differ from wmh. There where quite a few subtle differences, for example how immunities worked. But you had to read the entire rulebook and pay close attention to any difference to the rules you already knew. Not as easy as it sounds.
The games I played where good, and I liked the card mechanic that rewarded you for taking suboptimal units. The balance felt nice, but thanks to the above points noone in my meta except me bothered with the starter. And as has been said, the games took almost as long as wmh, so people just played that instead.

Strong agreement, everything costing extra on warroom is just :psyduck:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Warcaster Stream! Le's go!
https://www.twitch.tv/privateerpress/

Oz looks so happy

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Can we get a summary post for those of us not watching?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Not gonna lie, I was sort of hoping it wouldn’t be a game with a ton of tokens and cards (with bonus custom d6 dice).

Taking a page straight out of Fantasy Flight’s playbook.

I’m going to watch the vod again before I pass final judgement, but the first impression is that nothing about it jumped out at me as being something I’m immediately excited to play. I’m not necessarily negative on it, but it’s just... there. It’s a sci-fi game that sort of looks like WMH, but with a twist that’s probably really simple, but complicated by my knowledge and understanding of WMH terms that are being reused, but in slightly different mechanics context.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Menoth army is slowly coming along. I am getting lazy with these guys though, they are a pain to paint but I just have one more to paint. I am currently waiting for Temple Flameguards, and Exemplar Bastions to come in the mail to paint next.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

Can we get a summary post for those of us not watching?

I'll try and do one later

koreban posted:

Not gonna lie, I was sort of hoping it wouldn’t be a game with a ton of tokens and cards (with bonus custom d6 dice).

Taking a page straight out of Fantasy Flight’s playbook.

I’m going to watch the vod again before I pass final judgement, but the first impression is that nothing about it jumped out at me as being something I’m immediately excited to play. I’m not necessarily negative on it, but it’s just... there. It’s a sci-fi game that sort of looks like WMH, but with a twist that’s probably really simple, but complicated by my knowledge and understanding of WMH terms that are being reused, but in slightly different mechanics context.

You have 15 cards, 7 arc tokens, and presumably some effects for spells and abilities. This is no different than WMH before war room.

I said come in! posted:

My Menoth army is slowly coming along. I am getting lazy with these guys though, they are a pain to paint but I just have one more to paint. I am currently waiting for Temple Flameguards, and Exemplar Bastions to come in the mail to paint next.

:getin:

This looks great!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

S.J. posted:

:getin:

This looks great!

Thank you! I was feeling discouraged to be honest. These dudes can be tough to paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Thank you! I was feeling discouraged to be honest. These dudes can be tough to paint.

Those were one of my least favorite units to paint, their loving helmets are absolute bullshit and they have a lot of fiddly detail that I struggled to work out even with a magnifying glass.