Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I always feared Scorn was another one of those projects where most of the talent lies in their visual design, as the expense of all other aspects of game design.

Atomic Hearts gives a similar feel in that regard. I hope I'm totally wrong for both titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mindblast posted:

Atomic Hearts gives a similar feel in that regard. I hope I'm totally wrong for both titles.
Remember how You Are Empty ended up?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Shadow Hearts games were pretty decent at making you super powerful but still feel creeped out by (although not necessarily afraid of) the monsters in it. This mainly popped up when dealing with any of the Doll House sidequests that showed up in each game or the buildup and atmosphere of the various locations in the first Shadow Hearts game.

SelenicMartian posted:

No, because only like 2 people and the devs remember You Are Empty exists, and that number is only that high because I just read your post showing that someone besides myself even knows about that game.

Which is a shame because I think it does have some neat design elements but the actual story, ending, voice acting, and the fact that everything is just a monster closet is a shame. The box art is still insanely good though.

I feel like on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is "unplayable garbage program that doesn't even run" and 10 is "pure utter perfection, my face is melting," I'd say You Are Empty is around maybe 3 or 4. I'm not sure why but I always think of Cryostasis when I want to compare You Are Empty to something good and Cryostasis, while not fully 100% horror, is still an underrated and overlooked gem that I'd put at about 7 on that same 1-10 scale. I think it is hard to get a hold of nowadays (please correct me if I'm wrong) and I think it is worth looking up gameplay of it because it is a very wholesome horror title, the gimmicks are interesting, and the aesthetic of ice horror is one that isn't done too often outside of the polarizing Silent Hill Shattered Memories and I wanna say a few point & click games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SelenicMartian posted:

Holy poo poo this post triggered something in the back of my mind, forcing me to look this up to confirm that, yeah, somehow I've played this weird-rear end game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You can tell You Are Empty was chasing Half-Life 2 hard but the end result is basically BioShock Infinite with far better creature designs.

If you're going to play anything published by 1C Company at least make it Cryostasis.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

SelenicMartian posted:

Never heard of it until now. :v:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

al-azad posted:

You can tell You Are Empty was chasing Half-Life 2 hard but the end result is basically BioShock Infinite with far better creature designs.

If you're going to play anything published by 1C Company at least make it Cryostasis.

Not to mention Men Of War, Perimeter, Necrovision: Lost Company, Death To Spies: Moment Of Truth and the Kings Bounty games. And uh...7.62 High Calibre. Okay maybe not the last one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FirstAidKite posted:

Shadow Hearts games were pretty decent at making you super powerful but still feel creeped out by (although not necessarily afraid of) the monsters in it. This mainly popped up when dealing with any of the Doll House sidequests that showed up in each game or the buildup and atmosphere of the various locations in the first Shadow Hearts game.
The Shadow Hearts games were very good at being character-focused horror-comedies. Absolutely horrid and brutal things happen to people all the time in them, but they manage to lighten it up enough in-between to keep it from feeling completely oppressive. It's really one of my favourite types of horror: "the world may be a horror show, but if we really put our back into it, we can still punch it until it goes away."

The other type just always depresses me more than it scares me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FirstAidKite posted:

No, because only like 2 people and the devs remember You Are Empty exists, and that number is only that high because I just read your post showing that someone besides myself even knows about that game.

Which is a shame because I think it does have some neat design elements but the actual story, ending, voice acting, and the fact that everything is just a monster closet is a shame. The box art is still insanely good though.

That soundtrack holds up as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ci4vAyjLI

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

The Shadow Hearts games were very good at being character-focused horror-comedies. Absolutely horrid and brutal things happen to people all the time in them, but they manage to lighten it up enough in-between to keep it from feeling completely oppressive. It's really one of my favourite types of horror: "the world may be a horror show, but if we really put our back into it, we can still punch it until it goes away."

The other type just always depresses me more than it scares me.

The horror to comedy ratio definitely shifted as the series went on though. Koudelka was like 9:1 horror to comedy where you had stuff like exploring an old Welsh monastery currently owned by an ex-sea captain suffering from PTSD due to being blamed for the deaths resulting from a horrible ship crash who has fallen into insanity he fell into after the death of one of the sole people in the world who he could confide in who believed him when he talked about how it wasn't his fault and the monastery itself also used to be a prison that is haunted by the spirits of those locked away by an inquisition and the place in general has a history of all manner of demonic activity, disaster, death, torture, sacrifice, and murder, meanwhile Lord Dunsany's asking why he's the only one eating the soup and he's told that it's because the soup is poisoned and they didn't wanna bother telling him that because whatever who gives a poo poo. Then at the other end of the series is Shadow Hearts: From the New World with like 1:9 parts horror to comedy where you've got stuff like a bunch of creepy South American ruins filled with terrible monsters and evil gods and beings like Shub Niggurath except mistranslated as Jeb Niglas and he's just a giant head covered in eyes and mouths and teeth and poo poo but then your party is made up of Al Capone's sister's boyfriend, a mariachi whose guitar is equipped with a flamethrower and a missile launcher and a shotgun, and Al Capone's personal bodyguard, a giant cat who is a master of drunken fist martial arts and is also a film star who acts in kung-fu films produced by Purramount Pictures, 2 Native Americans of which one is a cryptid hunter who practices gun-fu and the other obtains ritual tramp stamps that allow her to turn into monstergirls when she gets naked, and a French guy who practices the art of Brazilian ninjutsu which involves, among other things, wielding weapons that are just random nonsense items with a katana handle glued to the end, and all of these people are on a quest that has them doing poo poo like "hey let's go to area 51" and "we gotta break Capone outta Alcatraz" and "we gotta stop the Irish mafia, they're up to no good."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh yeah, they definitely did. While I would say that Shadow Hearts 2 is the superior game, I think Shadow Hearts 1 did a better job of catching that atmosphere. Just that first village alone, brr. New World is just plain goofy, from what I hear, and I have no real interest in ever playing it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

New World has an improved combo system. Like, "snap a picture of a boss and still destroy it before it gets to attack" improved.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How good the gameplay is is tied to how much the game is focused around comedy.

Koudelka's gameplay was bad, not unplayably so, just in a poorly thought out way since it was literally 2 people wanting 2 different kinds of games and just deciding to mash them together so you end up with resident evil with random encounters with tactics rpg battles. From the New World has you doing all this cool poo poo to properly set up combos in order to keep the enemy from doing anything and the timed hits stuff makes it even better and it's super fun.

It really is a shame that Shadow Hearts 4 got cancelled so early in development so all we have is some concept art and not much else. I wonder if it would have tried to go back towards horror a bit more or if it would have descended fully into comedy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wouldn't call it descending. Most people I've talked to who have played From The New World either liked it a lot for what it was or hated it because it wasn't enough like SH1 and SH2, which I think says something about the issue being more a matter of audience confusion than game quality. I'm sure with the history of the series, it would've been an excellent game, just not one I want to play.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

From the New World is considered to have the best gameplay of the series. It is just a lot sillier than the other games which is the point of contention, though it still has moments of grisly horror.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I wouldn't call it descending. Most people I've talked to who have played From The New World either liked it a lot for what it was or hated it because it wasn't enough like SH1 and SH2, which I think says something about the issue being more a matter of audience confusion than game quality. I'm sure with the history of the series, it would've been an excellent game, just not one I want to play.

Yeah descending was the wrong word since it implies the comedy is bad, it's just a big tonal shift over the course of the series. Objectively though the gameplay did get better as the series went on.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of giger body horror and poo poo, is Scorn ever coming out?

At least we have that horny sequel to Lust for Darkness where instead of going to horny hell we go to a horny alien world instead.

Looking forward to World of Horror. God, it feels like we've been waiting forever.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

The stars are almost right, friend. Soon.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
World of Horror should be out in a few hours.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
had to drop The Town of Light a few chapters in because of that awful voice-over

kind of detrimental to the atmosphere when i have the narrator gasping and panting and weeping into my ear every five minutes

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anybody remember the recentish eldritch horror game that was set in a city, 2d isometric, and you have like 20 days to figure out the story?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

al-azad posted:

Anybody remember the recentish eldritch horror game that was set in a city, 2d isometric, and you have like 20 days to figure out the story?
A Place for the Unwilling?

WoH is out, and I'm downloading all 100 megabytes of it.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 20, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

WoH is out, and I'm downloading all 100 megabytes of it.

Woah hey a whole 100 Mb? Looks like I'll need to delete my copies of Commander Keen and maybe make myself a memory boot disk to get this bad boy running.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Morpheus posted:

Woah hey a whole 100 Mb? Looks like I'll need to delete my copies of Commander Keen and maybe make myself a memory boot disk to get this bad boy running.

God I remember when my dad bought my family its first PC and it had a 250mb hard drive, my dad and I looked at each other and said “250?! This is going to last us FOREVER! :monocle:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Blattdorf posted:

World of Horror should be out in a few hours.

It's out. Hype . Still not sure how fun it will be but the art is so cool

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

World of Horror looks pretty cool but it also looks like there's a heavy random element to the game which could just screw you entirely, which I'm not a huge fan of.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morpheus posted:

World of Horror looks pretty cool but it also looks like there's a heavy random element to the game which could just screw you entirely, which I'm not a huge fan of.

Pretty much. It’s kind of like this board game Betrayal at House in the Hill where you can just get horrible mutated in a whim and it’s meant to be played multiple times.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I ran into a elder god gazing at me from the sky, failed to run away, got cursed with a face-melting thing that would bring me closer to dying if I cast spells. Thankfully, it all happened in the ten-minute-long tutorial game, and I just beat the boss with a baseball bat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Aw, I didn't know the World of Horror release was just for early access.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Main thing that seems to be missing is mod support, it seems pretty fully featured otherwise.

I just finished my first game. It's... cool?? But I can't say I've played anything quite like it before. It's got atmosphere up the rear end, but it definitely is also a game primarily about dice rolls. It's less punishing than I thought it would be, though, and clearly replayability is a major part of the appeal. I'm not usually into roguelites, but I can't say enough about how cool its style is. Definitely worth the price of admission for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a way to get rid of curses? Being stuck with Suicidal and Brain Damage really sucks.

Kind of broke the difficulty of this run over my knee though when I got a Katana from the first event which just trivializes combat.

First run a success. Fun game

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 20, 2020

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Morpheus posted:

The only true form of horror in video games.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FirstAidKite posted:

In a playthrough you'll deal with 5 randomly selected "cases" from a pool of 12, and the goal for full release is about 20. So you can play the whole game beginning to end but there'll be more variety in the final version.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 20, 2020

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
World of Horror was also released on Xbox Game Pass for PC, if you have that.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there a way to get rid of curses? Being stuck with Suicidal and Brain Damage really sucks.

Kind of broke the difficulty of this run over my knee though when I got a Katana from the first event which just trivializes combat.

First run a success. Fun game

Medical issues can be sorted at the hospital for a price. Also, I got the Katana which trivialised combat until I thought I couldn't attack a monster with it (it kept saying I couldn't reach) so i threw it at the monster. Turns out that even when it says you can't reach, you kind of can reach and that basically hosed my run up. :(

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Lifeglug posted:

Medical issues can be sorted at the hospital for a price. Also, I got the Katana which trivialised combat until I thought I couldn't attack a monster with it (it kept saying I couldn't reach) so i threw it at the monster. Turns out that even when it says you can't reach, you kind of can reach and that basically hosed my run up. :(

I got to that same monster, and actually managed to beat it by doing turns of dodge-search for weapon, chuck weapon, repeat. That thing got so many glass bottles to the ear.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Loving it so far, but then again, everything is new and fresh right now. Not sure how I'll feel having my brain melted for the seventeenth time because all I have to hand is a stick and I lost all my sanity points from drying to drink soda.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

For reals if you like World of Horror then look into Betrayal at House on the Hill or Mansions of Madness 2E. MoM in particular has a guided app that takes over the "dungeon master" role to make it a fully co-op game. Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, and A Touch of Evil are decent and seem like direct inspirations for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Don't play Arkham Horror 2e play 3e. Ain't nobody got time for 2e Arkham Horror or a table big enough for it

Touch of Evil is really fun though and it's like a Arkham Horror lite