Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Elgin Marbles sounds like a Tory name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

be grateful they're just asking for some statues, if britain had to give back EVERYTHING it stole we would be here for millennia

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Any news tags with the choice headline "UK HAS LOST ITS MARBLES"???

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My favorite museum slapfight is at the Technikmuseum in Berlin. In the airplane section there's a room with a bunch of historical artifacts from WWI era aviation. Except it's just a bunch of pictures or wooden reproductions, and then a plaque explaining basically "the Nazi's moved this collection to Poland for safekeeping during the war when it looked like Berlin was going in to get bombed all to gently caress. After the war we politely asked for the stuff back but Poland keeps saying 'we're really busy' and 'well think about it and get back to you' :qq:"

Just laughing forever at Poland sitting on a room full of old airplane kitsch and while German curators act passive-aggressively salty about it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/marcusleroux/status/1229838542924402688?s=21

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

mrmcd posted:

My favorite museum slapfight is at the Technikmuseum in Berlin. In the airplane section there's a room with a bunch of historical artifacts from WWI era aviation. Except it's just a bunch of pictures or wooden reproductions, and then a plaque explaining basically "the Nazi's moved this collection to Poland for safekeeping during the war when it looked like Berlin was going in to get bombed all to gently caress. After the war we politely asked for the stuff back but Poland keeps saying 'we're really busy' and 'well think about it and get back to you' :qq:"

Just laughing forever at Poland sitting on a room full of old airplane kitsch and while German curators act passive-aggressively salty about it.

Mine is the Virginia Confederate battle flag that Minnesota captured on the field of battle, Virginia keeps asking for it, and Minnesota keeps saying gently caress you we won this from traitors.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dravs posted:

Just googled the elgin marbles and was surprised to find that it is just like a fresco of sculptured (presumably) marble? Is it weird I just assumed they would be little spheres like the marbles you would play with back in school?

Just give them back to Greece, goodness me, if Brexit is the thing that causes the UK to lose the last echos of its imperialism then that sounds like an unintended good thing.

Also it will make the gammons super mad, maybe Mark Francois will finally blow the blood vessel that causes his face to go that colour.

they are worth going to see if you can. they are breathtakingly amazing.

(they need to be in Greece)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

silvergoose posted:

Mine is the Virginia Confederate battle flag that Minnesota captured on the field of battle, Virginia keeps asking for it, and Minnesota keeps saying gently caress you we won this from traitors.

:heritage:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

silvergoose posted:

Meanwhile Diane Feinstein had to be lambasted into not flying a Confederate flag from San Francisco city hall

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bust Rodd posted:

wasn’t this Churchill’s, like, entire UK-Indian foreign policy?

no, to be clear the media's line was "let them starve, its because they cant take care of themselves,"

the government's line was actively and purposefully starving them to death to clear the surplus population and make profits on food speculation

e: there was one governor in india during the famines who actually started a proper relief work, while thousands and thousands died all around him his whole province only lost a dozen people to famine.
he was crucified in the UK press and called back to parliament to be shamed. next time we caused another famine he did what he was told and let thousands die.

there was also a rich private UK citizen who was so horrified by the famine he set up famine releif out of his own wallet and managed to help hundreds of people survive. the UK government sanctioned him and sent the military police in to break up his famine relief.

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Feb 19, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Meanwhile Diane Feinstein had to be lambasted into not flying a Confederate flag from San Francisco city hall

That is distinctly not my favorite museum tiff.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it cant really be overstated how intentionally murderous, perverse and cruel the british empire was.

we never learn about it and now we're brexiting as a direct result of never facing up to our digusting racism, its very poetic imo

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

it cant really be overstated how intentionally murderous, perverse and cruel the british empire was.

we never learn about it and now we're brexiting as a direct result of never facing up to our digusting racism, its very poetic imo

it’s true. people think it’s political correctness gone mad to even teach kids about the crimes of empire.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The USA has this issue too and everyone melted down when the nyt did its 1619 project

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Communist Thoughts posted:

I can recommend Britain's Empire: Resistance, Repression and Revolt by Richard Gott for this!!!!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

oliwan posted:

I can recommend Britain's Empire: Resistance, Repression and Revolt by Richard Gott for this!!!!

Thanks will pick it up on payday.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Thanks will pick it up on payday.

Speaking of pay:

UK Wages back above pre-economic crisis levels

That's ... good, right?

Analyst Andy Verity posted:

But to many workers, this minor economic landmark will serve less as a cause for celebration and more as a reminder that the past decade has been the worst for improvements in living standards in more than 200 years.

The 2008 crisis, caused in part by reckless mismanagement of the banks, is one reason (not the only one) that the average pay packet has failed to do what we used to take for granted - i.e. increase by more than inflation.

lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Speaking of pay:

UK Wages back above pre-economic crisis levels

That's ... good, right?

lol

worse than the 1930s lmebo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

"Low-pay think tank the Resolution Foundation points out that if pre-crisis trends for increases in pay in real terms had continued, the average wage would now be £141 a week higher."

Haha. gently caress.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

And that's the last decade i.e. from 2010, so even accounting for the crisis itself.

Tories: very good for the economy

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Private Speech posted:

And that's the last decade i.e. from 2010, so even accounting for the crisis itself.

Tories: very good for the economy

You fool, you absolute buffoon, the economy isn't ordinary people's wages it's some ethereal number the rich worship and gamble with.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Elgin Marbles are just the beginning of it for Athens. All the areas around the ancient section are full of headless and handless statues, and I know you bitches got museums full of heads and hands!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

you laugh now, but wait until you have to treat the UK the same as one small part of Indiana

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

The Elgin Marbles are just the beginning of it for Athens. All the areas around the ancient section are full of headless and handless statues, and I know you bitches got museums full of heads and hands!

I'm the Carmen Sandiego that aggressively steals things off of monuments and works of art to actively ruin them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

think most of them are in Italy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Victory Position posted:

I'm the Carmen Sandiego that aggressively steals things off of monuments and works of art to actively ruin them

The big question when you walk around like the Agora is "What kind of loving rear end in a top hat would do this?"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Victory Position posted:

But also steal entire monuments, too.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the main thing that sticks in my mind from the British Museum is they shipped an entire ancient temple there, it's shameless lmao

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

PostNouveau posted:

Heads, yes. For hands you're gonna need to go to Belgium

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PostNouveau posted:

The big question when you walk around like the Agora is "What kind of loving rear end in a top hat would do this?"

:wotwot:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gum posted:

:drat:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gum posted:

Goddamn, take that Leopold

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lol at this idiot

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1230283289073737730?s=21

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
The UK don't need those marbles anyway.
Just replace 'em with Brexit.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

marktheando posted:

it’s true. people think it’s political correctness gone mad to even teach kids about the crimes of empire.

When I was at school our history lessons, at least to GCSE level, were like:

Ancient Egypt was cool right???
The Roman Empire basically built our country although Boudica definitely had girl power! Let's watch Gladiator.
Chaucer
Lindow Man and other assorted bog bodies.
Life of Shakespeare
Medieval kings and queens (never getting past Elizabeth 1), generally focused around Protestant vs Catholic conflicts with maybe a single line referencing the people who left to find ~a new world~ right at the end
Wasn't it great when we decided to stop slavery? Wasn't what the Americans did to the slaves just awful?
Completely unrelated note but look at all the cool stuff our town built with how much money it had from trade!
The Russian Revolution and why communism is bad
A little Stalin, as a treat
Wasn't ww1 sad? But weren't we awesome in ww2? You guys only need like one page in the textbook about the Holocaust right? Let's watch Blackadder and Saving Private Ryan.

And that was it. Notice any Empire sized gaps? How about Irish ones?

(this was also a fancy expensive school where a bunch of BBC people and celebrities sent their kids or went as kids themselves)

Pyrotoad has issued a correction as of 16:02 on Feb 20, 2020

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
I remember being taught that the British people betrayed War Hero Churchill by voting for Attlee. State school ofc

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
the idea of smart-rear end UK kids in High School being like “what? we were the largest imperial colonizers in human history and owned 25% of the planet and now were just a loving mudskip away from total economic collapse, LMAO, yeah right you tosser!” or whatever the gently caress young brits talk like is very funny to me, the same way it was when the very smart and extremely woke kids at my high school kept interrupting our lessons on the Industrial revolution with questions like “but where was all the cotton coming from?” “why was everyone so eager to do trade with the American South” until the school swapped her into AP history so she wouldn’t corrupt the dumb-dumbs.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol even after the brits outlawed slavery on the islands they kept selling them to the us. doesnt count if you cant see it

amazing grace was written by a converted slave ship captain lol tho he realized how lovely a person he was and was an abolitionist by then

Robo Reagan has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Feb 20, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I 'like' (scare quotes b/c seriously wtf) how BBC linked the recent attack in Germany with accepting refugees from the middle east

BBC Security Correspondent posted:

The problem has been particularly acute in - but not confined to - the east of the country, in the former East Germany. There, unemployment levels have been higher than in the rest of Germany and a simmering resentment, by some, of the recent immigrant arrivals has manifested itself in arson attacks on hostels.

In 2015 Germany opened its borders to an estimated 1.5 million refugees from the Middle East. Although the number of subsequent incidents involving them has been very small, their arrival has been used by far right extremists to stoke ethnic tensions and recruit more young men and women to their cause.

see Germans should have just deported the lot of them like we did :britsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

the idea of smart-rear end UK kids in High School being like “what? we were the largest imperial colonizers in human history and owned 25% of the planet and now were just a loving mudskip away from total economic collapse, LMAO, yeah right you tosser!” or whatever the gently caress young brits talk like is very funny to me, the same way it was when the very smart and extremely woke kids at my high school kept interrupting our lessons on the Industrial revolution with questions like “but where was all the cotton coming from?” “why was everyone so eager to do trade with the American South” until the school swapped her into AP history so she wouldn’t corrupt the dumb-dumbs.

People who've grown up in the last two decades won't need much convincing that the country is collapsing. That we were once a giant murder empire, yeah that bit might confuse them. Mainly because they won't understand how as they've only ever known a country with 3 ships and 20 underequipped squaddies.