Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
For those who haven't seen the issue - this is just one of the four substitute Olsons who have appeared in Metropolis since Jimmy's "death". The other three are easy to guess if you remember 1990s Superman comics events (the Olson of Steel, Olson Boy, and the Olson of Tomorrow, naturally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I hope Cyborg Jimmy is voiced by Malcolm McDowell as well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ToxicFrog posted:

The F4 have a habit of handing out spare costumes to heroes who have somehow managed to lose and/or destroy theirs, don't they?

Reed's first invention was branding.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Red posted:

Wait - is that supposed to be...

The late great Frank Nelson!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68b2yww32A

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

FMguru posted:

For those who haven't seen the issue - this is just one of the four substitute Olsons who have appeared in Metropolis since Jimmy's "death". The other three are easy to guess if you remember 1990s Superman comics events (the Olson of Steel, Olson Boy, and the Olson of Tomorrow, naturally).

Yeah, that whole sequence cracked me up. As did most of the issue! I didn't give a crap about Jimmy Olsen before 2019 but I drat sure love him now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

How Wonderful! posted:

The late great Frank Nelson!
Homer: Uh, excuse me.
Usher: [bizarre, sycophantic voice] Yeeeees?
Homer: Do you have a table for the mayor?
Usher: Yeeees!
Homer: Why do you talk that way?
Usher: I had a strooooooke!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
captain america and the mighty avengers 6

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Red posted:

Wait - is that supposed to be...

Knowing that Fraction is the writer, I'd say EEE-Yeeeeeeeeesssss

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I love Pete's ability to just drop a line like that into a conversation.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Couldn't find the clip with a quick search, but the one that always makes me giggle is

"Are you the pilot?"
"Why Yeeeeeessss!"
"My friend here is a bit nervous, it's his first flight."
"Oh, mine too!"

The guy's style could turn a light quip into a knee-slapping zinger.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hawkeye: Freefall #1

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I really loving hate The Hood.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the hood sucks so hard which is why i like those panels very much.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I remember liking his mini when he was introduced and then all this happened.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I remember the Hood being liked a lot in BSS around 2005 and lots of excitement as he got reclaimed from limbo after the miniseries for stuff like Dark Reign. What the gently caress happened?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mind the walrus posted:

I remember the Hood being liked a lot in BSS around 2005 and lots of excitement as he got reclaimed from limbo after the miniseries for stuff like Dark Reign. What the gently caress happened?

Are you maybe confusing him with Cloak?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
From Rick and Morty #57.

Morty's been kidnapped and Rick/Jerry end up in a universe where there is a Rick/Morty convention instead of DragonCon while looking for him.

Nobody involved in creating the comic is bitter or anything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Are you maybe confusing him with Cloak?
Nope! 1000% certain it's the Hood. Brian K. Vaughn, a decent mini, potential with the concept, excitement that he was one of Osborn's recruits, the whole deal.

Cloak was used around that same time as the Avengers' personal transport bus, most prominently in Civil War, but rarely given any actual character.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

From Rick and Morty #57.

Morty's been kidnapped and Rick/Jerry end up in a universe where there is a Rick/Morty convention instead of DragonCon while looking for him.

Nobody involved in creating the comic is bitter or anything.

I'm on the side of the dude in the green hat.

mind the walrus posted:

He got Poochied hard and we got a lot of stories about what an amazing and totally awesome villain he was which turned everyone off pretty much instantly.

I mean, at the end of the miniseries that everybody liked, he's still a shithead thug. He just barely managed to get out from under the threat of guys like the Shocker. Then suddenly he's ultimate badass super evil demonic mob boss of New York who's a dangerous threat to the entire Avengers.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 21, 2020

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I only really remember The Hood from Marvel Heroes of all things, where he's supposed to be this big challenge to the heroes because of his teleportation powers. Then Luke Cage recommends you find where he bases out of and just kick his rear end anyway. Because beyond his fancy cloak, his entire arsenal consisted of two, count 'em, TWO guns! and no powers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zaodai posted:

I only really remember The Hood from Marvel Heroes of all things, where he's supposed to be this big challenge to the heroes because of his teleportation powers. Then Luke Cage recommends you find where he bases out of and just kick his rear end anyway. Because beyond his fancy cloak, his entire arsenal consisted of two, count 'em, TWO guns! and no powers.

God Bless Luke Cage. 🙏

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the hood was the villain version of sentry, bendis' attempt to force some character into being A Big Deal who immediately disappeared from the limelight as soon as bendis stopped writing the big books

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah that makes total sense. It's a shame too because he makes sense as a two-bit thug in way over his head who's constantly riding by the seat of his pants-- like a non-loser version of The Shocker--but gently caress that doesn't sound like they outscaled him way too drat high.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Skwirl posted:

I really loving hate The Hood.
oops, a weird random quote I did not mean to post, for the record I have no idea who the Hood is or if he is bad :o:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If you're going to bring out any obscure character from a mini and make them overpowered it should be Gravity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

I should probably read the original mini, I recently read BEYOND! and he was okay there, but Dark Reign is why I loving hate him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

If you're going to bring out any obscure character from a mini and make them overpowered it should be Gravity.
So... Graviton but he's a good guy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

So... Graviton but he's a good guy?

He also died in BEYOND!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hood works best as an Owl type guy; mid level street villain who starts the odd turf war with Kingpin and has some light powers. Trying to make him some big name or have him be a threat to Doom just overplays him entirely. He's a henchmen who got some ok powers, not a mastermind.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

He also died in BEYOND!

He got better!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

He got better!

I'm gonna be honest, I'd never heard of him before and until today thought he'd been created for BEYOND! just so he could die in it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They also had him do some weird lovely sex assault stuff so I REALLY dont like the character at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

They also had him do some weird lovely sex assault stuff so I REALLY dont like the character at all.

Are you talking about Gravity or The Hood?

I really hope your talking about The Hood.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Annihilation - Scourge: Nova

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Does Annihilus think all humans look the same?

That's racist!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Does Annihilus think all humans look the same?

That's racist!

Dick Rider was wearing a helmet at the time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Did Johnny Storm bringing democracy to the Negative Zone ever stick?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Uthor posted:

Did Johnny Storm bringing democracy to the Negative Zone ever stick?

They all voted for annihilus.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Metaphor!

I meant after that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'd have voted for Annihilus if I lived in the Negative Zone.