Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Cheesus posted:

My father sleeps 18 hours a day, watches either CNN or NCIS the remaining hours. Clearly he's depressed but of course won't work through any kind of therapy at all.

Ten years ago I moved from 1600 miles to 40 minutes away from my parents, working from home. Once or twice I got a knock on the door at around noon with both of my parents at the door smiling and asking if I wanted to go out for lunch. I had to explain to them that no, I'd already eaten and I was working. They were visibly disappointed, but from that point onward, my mother was sure to give me an hour or two heads up before trying that again. And with enough heads up I could usually re-arrange things to make it work. So good?

Six years ago I bought a house 15 minutes from theirs. One day my father got it in his head that he should just stop by alone at noon on a Wednesday. I asked him if everything was ok and he just said, no, he just stopped by for a few minutes (~30-59) to say "Hi." When I told him I was working and couldn't talk, he looked crushed.

I'm convinced that "rejection" led to his current state, but gently caress if I'll take any responsibility for it.

I get that it was a Greatest/Silent generation thing to "come to call" upon a relative or neighbor by just showing up unannounced and that my Boomer father thinks it's something he's entitled to as well. I find it hard to believe that anyone from those generations "come to call" on any day other than a weekend when nobody was (likely) working.

Furthermore, when asked about his anxiety, he always ties it genetically to his mother and describes how much it stressed her out when people came to call at their house and she was expected to drop everything to entertain by cooking a meal or something. So why would you do it to your own children?

And finally, the entitlement of feeling that you don't need to phone beforehand?

My dad would call my cell phone at 4:58pm and ask me what I was doing after work. If I didn't answer my cell he'd call my home, then office. A co-worker over heard me saying things like , "I'm wrapping up for the day....I'll call you when I'm home....I can't tonight...**SIGHhhhhhhhhhhh**...FINE!" for a few days and thought I was talking to an ex.

"Nope, just my Dad!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cheesus posted:

Furthermore, when asked about his anxiety, he always ties it genetically to his mother and describes how much it stressed her out when people came to call at their house and she was expected to drop everything to entertain by cooking a meal or something. So why would you do it to your own children?

I've posted about this before but I think there are essentially two kinds of people: we all suffer in life, but some of us will suffer and say "nobody should have to suffer like that ever again" and some of us will suffer and say "if I had to suffer, by God everyone else has to suffer too". Boomers overwhelmingly fall into the second camp.

A little further down that path is "man I can't wait until it's my turn to cause this suffering" which is why so many millennials are hosed up from abusive childhoods

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Bonzo posted:

My dad would call my cell phone at 4:58pm and ask me what I was doing after work. If I didn't answer my cell he'd call my home, then office. A co-worker over heard me saying things like , "I'm wrapping up for the day....I'll call you when I'm home....I can't tonight...**SIGHhhhhhhhhhhh**...FINE!" for a few days and thought I was talking to an ex.

"Nope, just my Dad!"

This poo poo is why my mom learning to text is the best thing ever. I mean, now I get random texts in the "voice" of my nieces complaining that my wife travels for work too much, but it's worlds better than the constant phone calls.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bonzo posted:

"Nope, just my Dad!"

What is it with boomers having no concept of other people's time?

Like they expect me to not do anything but sit around at home and wait for them to call me 24/7. Recently my dad got offended that I was busy driving home, because I stopped to pick up some food, on the way home, and sounded irritated.

There was another time when my mom called me as I'm pulling into the parking lot at work. Because it's about 7 in the morning, I'm thinking someone died, so I called back immediately. She wanted to ask me what my plans were for Christmas, this was September.

There was also the time that I was working in a restaurant, so I didn't have a set schedule, and my mom threatened to call the police for a welfare check because she hadn't heard from me in 3 weeks. So I called her at 11:30 at night to let her know that I had to work when normal people are not.

On the flip side, right now I call them most weeks, it's always on Sunday within 15 minutes of noon, and they're always surprised by it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I'm seeing a newish trend of tv and radio ads that are lawyers that specalized in getting out of your (parents) timeshares.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Whoria Discordia posted:

related to the whole brand loyalty thing, remember when brands would wage "wars" against eachother? Like the "cola wars", or "console wars" ? And people would actually get invested in it? Boy that was some bullshit.

That might be more of the gen X version though.

True, and looking back it's such an obvious marketing ploy. Framing it as a 'war' invites people to pick a side and get personally invested in the products

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Mission of Bruma Guitarist Roger Miller one described his Fender Lead 1 guitar as "a Chevrolet, you get rid one chevy and then just get another one. "

I think that is closer to the boomer mentality, that I also inherited. There is a certain stability to buying an item, using it to hell and back chucking it out and then getting the same item and doing it again. It's why I've been wearing converse since '03. I know how long they will last. I know how they will wear down. I know how far to push them.

Buying products that you feel are the best for you isn't brand loyalty as you're just looking out for yourself. 'Loyalty' suggests that even if the product was inferior you would still buy it simply because you support the company.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It does seem like there is less "brand loyalty" and more "this brand is part of my identity" or "this brand makes me look rich/important/cool."

The weird iPhone supremacist poo poo is in this neighborhood, as were Nike Air Jordans at one point, and now I guess displaying other brands is in vogue. I've always found this kind of thing weird and pointless. There seems to be significant portion of the population who cannot understand that price doesn't equal value, nor does price equal quality. Like someone said up-thread, fanboyism is loving weird and seems like a desperate attempt to cobble together a personality from material goods, like a deranged magpie gathering shiny things to put in a nest of three twigs held together by a thin layer of poo poo.

LOL I like that description, said it much better than I could

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Does anyone's parents still have old phones where they can both talk at the same time?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

What is it with boomers having no concept of other people's time?

Like they expect me to not do anything but sit around at home and wait for them to call me 24/7. Recently my dad got offended that I was busy driving home, because I stopped to pick up some food, on the way home, and sounded irritated.

There was another time when my mom called me as I'm pulling into the parking lot at work. Because it's about 7 in the morning, I'm thinking someone died, so I called back immediately. She wanted to ask me what my plans were for Christmas, this was September.

There was also the time that I was working in a restaurant, so I didn't have a set schedule, and my mom threatened to call the police for a welfare check because she hadn't heard from me in 3 weeks. So I called her at 11:30 at night to let her know that I had to work when normal people are not.

On the flip side, right now I call them most weeks, it's always on Sunday within 15 minutes of noon, and they're always surprised by it.

Your daily schedule is dominated by work or family responsibilities. If you're old and retired your schedule is suddenly wide open. You can volunteer or pick up a hobby or surprise your kids at odd hours.

After retiring my mom found herself waking up in the middle of the night and like, doing poo poo before going to bed again. Ends up that is how we used to live prior to our more rigid, scheduled lives. People would go to bed at dusk, wake up at 1am, have a bite to eat, visit neighbors, have sex, go back to sleep, and wake up again at daybreak. Once she lacked all the things that pigeon hole us into our adult time tables she reverted back to this weird pre-industrial sleep schedule.

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-used-to-sleep-in-two-shifts-maybe-we-should-again

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Bonzo posted:

"Nope, just my Dad!"

I had to get my aunt to stealth delete my work number from my Grandma's phone because she kept calling my cell 3-4 times during work hours then calling my work phone and leaving vague messages about it being extremely urgent I call her back ASAP. So I'd dip out on whatever I was doing thinking it was an emergency and it'd be something like, "Macy's has a sale on cardigans, I need you to look online right now and tell me what ones you like so I can go get them while I still have a coupon."

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 20, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The cycle of suffering /abuse thing probably happens because if the suffering /abuse is passed down, it kind of normalizes it. If it's happening to everyone, it can be easier for an individual to deal with it. Some people will feel resentment at the idea that they were the last generation to have to put up with being spanked or treated like some slave so they'll have this crab in a bucket attitude about it.

It's like that for other things too. My job is seniority based, and unusual in that early on your lack of choice of schedule means the first 2 years will be chaotic but steadily improves to the point that 7 years in you'll be able to pretty much work when and where you want. Around when I started they started this two tier system where the lower tier was the actual entry job and you moved up to the upper tier as openings came available. The lower tier paid half what the upper tier paid yet because the starting schedules were way nicer the boomers in the union threw a fit that all these new people were getting weekends off right out of the gate when the old timers had to slog through horrible split shifts with Tues/Wed off for years. They didn't get that the catch to those nice schedules was far less pay, and the boomers in the union decided if they couldn't have decent schedules the first two years of their career, nobody could.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It does seem like there is less "brand loyalty" and more "this brand is part of my identity" or "this brand makes me look rich/important/cool."

The weird iPhone supremacist poo poo is in this neighborhood, as were Nike Air Jordans at one point, and now I guess displaying other brands is in vogue. I've always found this kind of thing weird and pointless. There seems to be significant portion of the population who cannot understand that price doesn't equal value, nor does price equal quality. Like someone said up-thread, fanboyism is loving weird and seems like a desperate attempt to cobble together a personality from material goods, like a deranged magpie gathering shiny things to put in a nest of three twigs held together by a thin layer of poo poo.

If you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend reading No Logo, which goes a bit into how this is something those companies spent billions of dollars to drill into people

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Does anyone's parents still have old phones where they can both talk at the same time?

No but my dad's phone is on speaker mode all the time even when he has it up to his ear, so mom can always chime in anyway

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Bonzo posted:

A landline? Mine do, but only because my grandpa needs it for his pacemaker or some poo poo.

Also, after 43 years of busting his rear end in a limestone mine, my dad retired yesterday. He told off everyone he hated on his way out. I love my dad. By far the hardest working man I have ever met.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you haven't read it yet, I'd recommend reading No Logo, which goes a bit into how this is something those companies spent billions of dollars to drill into people

Sounds interesting. Consuming, or not consuming, has always been a fundamental part of people's identities, it's just something that's gone into overdrive with the late capitalist mode of production, which emphasizes constant fluctuation, personalization, and differentiation.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's not about consumption per se it's about making brands like Nike synonymous with vague aspirational concepts of athleticism or street cred instead of, like, shoes, that you put on your feet, and maybe they're better at doing shoe things than Reeboks or maybe they're not. If you identify with those ideas and let their mass media saturation-bombing percolate into your head, you're a Nike wearer, that's your identity now.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 20, 2020

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
sending texts that just say "Call me"

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
loudly discussing what the person at the next restaurant booth is wearing

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
a positive one: all boomers love Red Green

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It's not about consumption per se it's about making brands like Nike synonymous with vague aspirational concepts of athleticism or street cred instead of, like, shoes, that you put on your feet, and maybe they're better at doing shoe things than Reeboks or maybe they're not. If you identify with those ideas and let their mass media saturation-bombing percolate into your head, you're a Nike wearer, that's your identity now.

im so glad i was raised with the idea that the only reason i should cover myself in logos is if im getting paid for it. nipped the idea of brand loyalty in the bud when you have a parent explain that its less than free advertising because youre paying apple to be able to show off their logo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Robo Reagan posted:

im so glad i was raised with the idea that the only reason i should cover myself in logos is if im getting paid for it. nipped the idea of brand loyalty in the bud when you have a parent explain that its less than free advertising because youre paying apple to be able to show off their logo.

Millennials disrupting the advertising industry with new "reverse advertising" trend!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

ghost emoji posted:

leaving voice mails that say, "CALL ME BACK ASAP! "

and when you call back they say poo poo like, "Do you recall the brand of TV we had in the basement in 1982?"

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ghost emoji posted:

RE: No.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

Robo Reagan posted:

I always felt this as a kid and have no idea where I picked it up. When I went through a phase of being "that guy with the hat" I spent forever trying to find an unbranded cap. They almost dont exist at this point.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
boomers love rageposting on facebook that they saw a homeless person with a cell phone

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

CrowdControl posted:

I always felt this as a kid and have no idea where I picked it up. When I went through a phase of being "that guy with the hat" I spent forever trying to find an unbranded cap. They almost dont exist at this point.
Where were you looking? My dad likes unbranded hats for outdoor stuff, and it's never been an issue. three dozen colors

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ghost emoji posted:

boomers love rageposting on facebook that they saw a homeless person with a cell phone

Or a computer, or... Wasn't there some dumb infographic from like, Fox News or something that complained that like, 96% of poor households had fridges or something?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

After retiring my mom found herself waking up in the middle of the night and like, doing poo poo before going to bed again. Ends up that is how we used to live prior to our more rigid, scheduled lives. People would go to bed at dusk, wake up at 1am, have a bite to eat, visit neighbors, have sex, go back to sleep, and wake up again at daybreak. Once she lacked all the things that pigeon hole us into our adult time tables she reverted back to this weird pre-industrial sleep schedule.

I'm ok with being past the era of waking up at midnight to go gently caress the neighbors

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

PostNouveau posted:

No but my dad's phone is on speaker mode all the time even when he has it up to his ear, so mom can always chime in anyway

Goddamn do those motherfuckers love speaker phone.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

could we go back to when they had wars instead of now, when Planters kills Mr. Peanut for the Super Bowl and all the other brands hold a wake for him on Twitter

For real this was so perfect it should've killed both super bowl marketing and brand twitter forever.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Duracell/status/960352900546547712

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

shame on an IGA posted:

For real this was so perfect it should've killed both super bowl marketing and brand twitter forever.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Duracell/status/960352900546547712

Holy gently caress I'd accuse you of faking that if it weren't a real, actual blue checked tweet.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

purple death ray posted:

I've posted about this before but I think there are essentially two kinds of people: we all suffer in life, but some of us will suffer and say "nobody should have to suffer like that ever again" and some of us will suffer and say "if I had to suffer, by God everyone else has to suffer too". Boomers overwhelmingly fall into the second camp.

A little further down that path is "man I can't wait until it's my turn to cause this suffering" which is why so many millennials are hosed up from abusive childhoods

literally_every_issue_in_the_US_explained.txt

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CrowdControl posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Goorin-Bros-Slayer-Baseball-black/dp/B0037OVDA2?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

Best cap I've ever owned. There's a logo, but it's small and tasteful and hardly visible with the dark color options.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

ghost emoji posted:

My mother saw a man in an electric wheelchair charging his chair in a public park and was furious that he doesn’t pay for that electricity.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RadioPassive posted:

My mother saw a man in an electric wheelchair charging his chair in a public park and was furious that he doesn’t pay for that electricity.

sever

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

purple death ray posted:

Totally. I've had more than my share of suffering in life and been in some pretty dark places but in the end that's actually what fuels my love and compassion for humanity and my desire that no one should have to suffer without cause. If you let your pain make you into a worse person you've made a huge mistake.

I feel like the Boomers who have suffered the least are probably the most cruel

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bonzo posted:

edit: actually how many of you have to take vacation days AFTER you've had a visit with your parents?

Hi. Literally every time I visit my family I need to either leave early or bake in some time to decompress. It has only been since I got married and a neutral observer (my wife) has been around that I've started to actually see the insanely hosed up poo poo my family does and it's made me wonder if literally every child of boomers has these issues or is it just me.

edit: Literally the biggest stumbling block during the runup to my wedding was my mom (60s) causing increasingly large problems by likely having an untreated anxiety disorder and injecting her fears and whatnot into our wedding planning.

gently caress. why the hell are boomers allergic to talking to a drat therapist? I did and it was the single greatest decision I've ever made save for marrying my wife.

edit 2: it was also extremely hosed up that at my grandma's funeral the only people who ID'd all the weird poo poo going on family-wise was me, my wife, my cousin's wife and my cousin who is an actual licensed psychologist. all of us either from outside the family or having received enough therapy/insight to finally see how hosed up everything was.

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 21, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

axeil posted:

Hi. Literally every time I visit my family I need to either leave early or bake in some time to decompress. It has only been since I got married and a neutral observer (my wife) has been around that I've started to actually see the insanely hosed up poo poo my family does and it's made me wonder if literally every child of boomers has these issues or is it just me.

edit: Literally the biggest stumbling block during the runup to my wedding was my mom (60s) causing increasingly large problems by likely having an untreated anxiety disorder and injecting her fears and whatnot into our wedding planning.

gently caress. why the hell are boomers allergic to talking to a drat therapist? I did and it was the single greatest decision I've ever made save for marrying my wife.

edit 2: it was also extremely hosed up that at my grandma's funeral the only people who ID'd all the weird poo poo going on family-wise was me, my wife, my cousin's wife and my cousin who is an actual licensed psychologist. all of us either from outside the family or having received enough therapy/insight to finally see how hosed up everything was.

It is definitely not just you. My wife opened my eyes to a ton of poo poo that I just never paid attention to before.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Play posted:

I feel like the Boomers who have suffered the least are probably the most cruel
My mom has had it pretty drat nice since her early 40s and it has absolutely made her into a less sympathetic person.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Bonzo posted:

It is definitely not just you. My wife opened my eyes to a ton of poo poo that I just never paid attention to before.

I think that happens to a lot of people - their spouses are not only showing them the love and support that their parents never gave them, but encouraging them to draw boundaries and stand up for themselves for the first time. That's why you have so many posters on those Estranged Parents boards seething with rage about their evil son-in-law/daughter-in-law who corrupted their baby with lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

RadioPassive posted:

God drat that’s so much boomer energy she could have charged his wheelchair.