Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

thehoodie posted:

I'm just waiting for Justin to continue his legacy of doing everything his dad did but worse because he isn't smart enough to pull if off

pierre also had a charisma that went deeper than just good looks and tattoos from urban outfitters, made it a lot easier to declare martial law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

also hello this is my second post i think in the cspam canadian thread. i live in vancouver, sup

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

albany academy posted:

also hello this is my second post i think in the cspam canadian thread. i live in vancouver, sup

yooooo lower mainland :whatup:

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

priznat posted:

yooooo lower mainland :whatup:

my wife and i moved here last november, still getting used to the geography

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

for the record i think the rail protests are good

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

albany academy posted:

only assholes live in vancouver

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

DariusLikewise posted:

confirmed

my advice? have a well paying job and live close to it

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

DariusLikewise posted:

i'm not an rear end in a top hat!!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
move to burnaby then

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I used to live in Kitsilano and I miss it :sigh: I went back there recently for the first time in a couple years and it is crazy all the new condos and such. Also traffic was goddamn insane.

but I’m from Victoria and miss that the most. Got retirement to look forward to to move back I figure! :corsair:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

albany academy posted:

*mixes some coloured liquids in beakers*
*scribbles on notepad furiously*
*turns dials on machine labelled COMPUTER*

according to my research everyone in canada is an rear end in a top hat

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Had an old friend share this bullshit to Facebook unironically: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wet-suwet-en-coastal-gas-link-pipeline-lng-1.5469401

I'm trying to come up with a pithy analogy, but I'm too tired.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:kiddo:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Jun 20, 2021

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
We've done it, boys. We've assimilated the savage Indian to the True and Good Canadian values of Home Ownership and FYGM.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The history of post-contact Americas is littered with examples of America's indigenous people not just getting a handle on European modes of production, but excelling at them to the point where colonizers had to implement laws to keep them from competing with European merchants, traders, and labourers.

Honestly I think the only reason that view isn't more prevalent among indigenous people is because of the systems put in place to deny them access to the same rights and privileges granted to settlers.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

albany academy posted:

Don't deny one's true nature friend

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Saalkin posted:

Don't deny one's true nature friend

wow :thanks: :toughguy:

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Dreylad posted:

The history of post-contact Americas is littered with examples of America's indigenous people not just getting a handle on European modes of production, but excelling at them to the point where colonizers had to implement laws to keep them from competing with European merchants, traders, and labourers.

Honestly I think the only reason that view isn't more prevalent among indigenous people is because of the systems put in place to deny them access to the same rights and privileges granted to settlers.

Can you recommend some reading about this?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

jettisonedstuff posted:

Can you recommend some reading about this?

Some of it comes from anecdotes from reading about the early conquests of Mexico/Central America/Peru, like how the conquered Andean populace began asserting their land rights in Spanish colonial courts using their records via the khipu and won, a lot. That pissed off the Spanish conquistadors enough as they wanted to be the landed gentry of the New World, so they got the Catholic Church to destroy all of the existing khipu under the auspices of destroying pagan worship.

In the Canadian context, I wish I could recommend a popular history book, but academically there's:

Rolf Knight, Indians at Work: An Informal History of Native Labour in British Columbia, 1858-1930
Shauna MacKinnon, Decolonizing Employment Aboriginal Inclusion in Canada’s Labour Market
Mary Jane Logan McCallum, Indigenous Women, Work, and History 1940–1980

and the one I like a lot is John Lutz's, A New History of Aboriginal-White Relations it's fairly approachable for an academic text but it may be getting out of date at this point as it was already a bit dated when it got published.

There's probably a ton of work in the American (USA) and Latin American context but I don't have much expertise in that area. And honestly my knowledge of Canadian historiography is starting to get dated.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Crow Buddy posted:

Who owns Global TV now? Their coverage of the protests has been barely concealed pipeline propaganda. (This morning was all about how all our food and coronavirsus medicine was rotting on ships in our cargo ship parking lot.
In a way this is anti-pipeline propaganda, no?

Its that time posted:

I seriously don't know what you can do if you're a left leaning federalist. Kinda like that, deep down, Canada is hard coded to be right leaning.
I don't know anything about Canada but this article kind of argues the same. What do you all think?

Canada Is Fake posted:

But when I say that Canada is fake, I don’t mean anything so universal or theoretical. Canada is not an accident or a work in progress or a thought experiment. I mean that Canada is a scam — a pyramid scheme, a ruse, a heist. Canada is a front. And it’s a front for a massive network of resource extraction companies, oil barons, and mining magnates.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is a good twitter thread (teaser for a longer piece) about changes in affordability over the past 35 years. US data, but hey!

https://twitter.com/oren_cass/status/1230505794686373888

Specifically, I think the emphasis on inflation quality adjustments and the outright unavailability of "the inferior cheaper good" is important, when so many things in life are inflation-adjusted and inflation-indexed ... if we're lucky!

(Reminds me of shadowstats.com ... haven't thought of them in a while!)

James Baud has issued a correction as of 11:32 on Feb 21, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Phone posting so no link but the CBC article about Ali express and wish is hilarious in how bad it is. It's a gigantic yellow peril mess

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Marketplace has been such dogshit since Wendy Mesley (pbuh) left.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Can't wait for a seventh straight episode on Indian call centers

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

platzapS posted:

In a way this is anti-pipeline propaganda, no?

I don't know anything about Canada but this article kind of argues the same. What do you all think?

Basically the same argument you can make over any capitalist country.

The government caters to capitalist/moneyed interests over the well being of their citizens and those citizens rights, any pretense to those rights is dropped as soon as the a) the targeted group is small enough or b) the opposing interest is large enough.

The primary industries forcing our governments hand tends to be resource extraction sector rather than say, medical insurance companies.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Guess which pipeline just failed its environmental assessment?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Is the answer going to surprise me?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Have canada cspam been involved in these protests? This has the potential to end capitalism and settler colonialism in Canada.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Just have em clear the computer and drive around for an hour and try again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chuka Umana posted:

This has the potential to end capitalism and settler colonialism in Canada.

it does?

huge if true

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jan posted:

We've done it, boys. We've assimilated the savage Indian to the True and Good Canadian values of Home Ownership and FYGM.

This is pretty common, though the real dishonesty in the cbc article is how much they use vague descriptors of how many Wet'suwet'en actually support the pipeline. You could only get swayed by this stuff if you're a lib identitarian who thinks that individual opinions are where politics ends.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

Have canada cspam been involved in these protests? This has the potential to end capitalism and settler colonialism in Canada.

I haven't laughed this hard at a post in this here comedy forum in months.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/1231643256099950593

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

Free market capitalism built our country

Uh, I don't think it did Andy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

infernal machines posted:

Uh, I don't think it did Andy.

Yeah, it was built through mercantilism and colonialism.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Throughout Alberta’s history, we can see several distinct cultural themes. A struggle against a colonial government, a desire for individual freedom, a willingness and drive to achieve personal economic liberty; a deep connection and respect for our land; and an economy unique to other areas of Canada.

Immigration patterns of settlers to Alberta are also historically distinct. At a time when the East attracted bankers, lawyers and other capitalists into established industries, Alberta was drawing families who survived harsh climates and had an ability to live off the land. Settlers like the Hungarians, Romanians, Ukrainians, Dutch, Germans, Scots, Chinese, and Icelanders immigrated to Alberta because of poverty, overpopulation and unemployment in their homelands.

Still others came to Alberta driven by the desire for freedom from government oppression. Persecuted individuals like African Americans, Jews, Mennonites, and Mormons sought refuge and opportunity in Alberta.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

lmao this blotchy bitch just responding to email forwards now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, it was built through mercantilism and colonialism.

Exactly.

Helsing posted:

Throughout Alberta’s history, we can see several distinct cultural themes. A struggle against a colonial government, a desire for individual freedom, a willingness and drive to achieve personal economic liberty; a deep connection and respect for our land; and an economy unique to other areas of Canada.

Immigration patterns of settlers to Alberta are also historically distinct. At a time when the East attracted bankers, lawyers and other capitalists into established industries, Alberta was drawing families who survived harsh climates and had an ability to live off the land. Settlers like the Hungarians, Romanians, Ukrainians, Dutch, Germans, Scots, Chinese, and Icelanders immigrated to Alberta because of poverty, overpopulation and unemployment in their homelands.

Still others came to Alberta driven by the desire for freedom from government oppression. Persecuted individuals like African Americans, Jews, Mennonites, and Mormons sought refuge and opportunity in Alberta.

The history of Alberta is a history of rubes being bilked to expand the nation westward

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Very problematic of you to erase the experiences of all those Hungarians, Romanians, Ukrainians, Dutch, Germans, Scots, Chinese, and Icelanders who just wanted to go out west and achieve personal liberty while free from the constraints of lawyers, bankers and other capitalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Tone policing children's television seems like a good use of time for the government in waiting