Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's not, but I kind of wish it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I've been told by various organisers of the push for MarRef that when he was asked about it at various events he laughed and told them it'd never happen. Also when he became a Minister Matt stopped playing Magic the Gathering in Gamer's World on Jervis street, apparently "just in case".

Of all places, the last place I would have thought gamers would be mentioned would be in this context/here.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

There is something so messed up about the idea of
"The tabloids would have a field day if they knew that your partner spent their disposable income on a collectable card game.
On a recreational hobby that involves socializing with other people.
It's just so weird, and not normal like someone spending all their money on booze or clothes.

Can't have that. If the media find out about it, the party will just have to elect Simon Convey as the party leader. And he already has the Illuminati vote.

Just tell your partner he has to go cold turkey and quit. And to be on the safe side, he should probably burn all his old decks too."

Hopefully with Varadkar going into opposition, maybe they will let Matt play Magic again.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Can anyone recommend a good starting point for a Brit who wants to learn about Ireland and its history?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Can anyone recommend a good starting point for a Brit who wants to learn about Ireland and its history?

Depends on what you want out of it. Are you looking for a whole history of Ireland with relation to English/British occupation, or are you content with the foundation of the modern State?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Skull Servant posted:

Depends on what you want out of it. Are you looking for a whole history of Ireland with relation to English/British occupation, or are you content with the foundation of the modern State?

The further back the better really, i'd like a good general history if possible and then maybe some specific bits on the really important events/people/places.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jonathan Bardon's A History of Ireland goes back to the end of the Ice Age then all the way to the 90s peace process, is that far enough back? :v:

Obviously in a pop history way through snippets, that's the only way to do that without hundreds of volumes, but if you want a general interest view of the island of Ireland then it's p. good.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Lungboy posted:

The further back the better really, i'd like a good general history if possible and then maybe some specific bits on the really important events/people/places.

You'd be best starting at 1169 then. You can probably read up the wikipedia pages for anything before that honestly. As for sources, it depends on what you want to invest in! I would recommend The Course of Irish History by Moody and Martin. It has been updated a bunch in recent years. It is basically a textbook, but very readable and gives good insight. I can't really recommend any documentaries or YouTube series, except for Reeling in the Years on RTE, but that is a very modern history of Ireland and exclusively uses archival footage.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Not to doxx myself but I work in the telecoms industry and we had an interesting meeting with two Americans recently. Trying to convince us Huawei equipment for 5g is a very bad idea. Not only will it open our networks to Chinese state hackers, but American multinationals won’t want their data transmitted across insecure Chinese infrastructure. Was almost a threat that going with Huawei could lead to the pull out of American multinationals like Apple etc.

I expect our government will ban Huawei from certain sectors in the near future.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
American multinationals only want their data transmitted across networks that can be hacked by the NSA.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

For more focused stuff the rather good four part RTÉ documentary Haughey that charts the rise and fall and rise and fall of Charles Haughey is up on YouTube and well worth a watch, the Haughey years where very important in shaping Ireland politically and also frequently loving bizarre

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Guavanaut posted:

American multinationals only want their data transmitted across networks that can be hacked by the NSA.

Is it really hacking when you tell the companies to install your own backdoors?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only when China does it, apparently.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Marenghi posted:

Not to doxx myself but I work in the telecoms industry and we had an interesting meeting with two Americans recently. Trying to convince us Huawei equipment for 5g is a very bad idea. Not only will it open our networks to Chinese state hackers, but American multinationals won’t want their data transmitted across insecure Chinese infrastructure. Was almost a threat that going with Huawei could lead to the pull out of American multinationals like Apple etc.

I expect our government will ban Huawei from certain sectors in the near future.
That's gotta have been a fun meeting. I'd have struggled to avoid asking them to define "insecure".

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
It was awkward. A strange dichotomy between two very ordinary men and the powerful state behind them and the politics at play.

They were both the kind of personalities you’d imagine of a red neck, just dressed in a suit. One of them actually grew up a farm in Virginia, where both of them were from.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Marenghi posted:

Huawei is too cheap I can't see the bans going through.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Not in the rest of Europe, but we are small enough and dependent on American investment. I could see Huawei not getting contracts if the government leaned hard on it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There's no way the Government would give any contracts to Huawei, DO'B doesn't have any stake in them. :v:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

irlZaphod posted:

There's no way the Government would give any contracts to Huawei, DO'B doesn't have any stake in them. :v:

I wouldn't rule out Dobby having a series of shell companies that somehow give him a stake in a Chinese state-run telcom

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

But how long is the US going to have an anti-Huawei policy?
Like isn't the whole thing mostly being driven by Trump and his bizare "Loves China's authoritarian strongman policies. But hates their competitive business practices."

If there is a new President will the whole thing not go away?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

But how long is the US going to have an anti-Huawei policy?
Like isn't the whole thing mostly being driven by Trump and his bizare "Loves China's authoritarian strongman policies. But hates their competitive business practices."

If there is a new President will the whole thing not go away?

Even a Sanders administration is going to have to deal with the realpolitik of the post-Soviet US hegemony transitioning to a multipolar global order with China and US in constant tension and an ascendant Global South. Like, President Bernie isnt going to cause Xi to stop spending trillions on Belt and Road projects through Eurasia and Africa, and neo-colonising seaports via predatory development loans (much like the Troika has done for some time now).

There will be many flashpoints in the coming years, and telcoms/satellite internet will be a big one .

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

irlZaphod posted:

In Cork here they were updating my exchange here, and all the telegraph poles.
All the tech was Huawei

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Failed Imagineer posted:

I wouldn't rule out Dobby having a series of shell companies that somehow give him a stake in a Chinese state-run telcom

Deccie Ganley wil pitch a fit since that's what Rivada are into.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

Deccie Ganley wil pitch a fit since that's what Rivada are into.

Haven't thought about that dickhead egg in some time

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Even a Sanders administration is going to have to deal with the realpolitik of the post-Soviet US hegemony transitioning to a multipolar global order with China and US in constant tension and an ascendant Global South. Like, President Bernie isnt going to cause Xi to stop spending trillions on Belt and Road projects through Eurasia and Africa, and neo-colonising seaports via predatory development loans (much like the Troika has done for some time now).

There will be many flashpoints in the coming years, and telcoms/satellite internet will be a big one .

Oh I get that the US and China will clash over things over the next few years.

It's just the Huawei thing stuck out as being one of Trump's personal bugbears. And since it was Trump doing it, I assumed he had gotten the information fundamentally wrong or was perusing it for quasi-rascist reasons.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Oh I get that the US and China will clash over things over the next few years.

It's just the Huawei thing stuck out as being one of Trump's personal bugbears. And since it was Trump doing it, I assumed he had gotten the information fundamentally wrong or was perusing it for quasi-rascist reasons.

Well, it's not like I've personally opened a Huawei router and microscopically analysed the motherboard to find the backdoors, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that China's strongly motivated to spy and collect all the communications they can.

But then again, they're still trailing well behind the NSA/CIA in that arena. Sure in the last few weeks there was that story about Crypto AG being a CIA cutout, meaning the CIA were capturing almost all encrypted information worldwide between 1970 and at least the late 90s. Extrapolate from that and the Snowden leaks and you'd have to conclude that almost everything is compromised and every wank you ever had is saved in 4k resolution on an underground server in Langley

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well, it's not like I've personally opened a Huawei router and microscopically analysed the motherboard to find the backdoors, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that China's strongly motivated to spy and collect all the communications they can.

But then again, they're still trailing well behind the NSA/CIA in that arena. Sure in the last few weeks there was that story about Crypto AG being a CIA cutout, meaning the CIA were capturing almost all encrypted information worldwide between 1970 and at least the late 90s. Extrapolate from that and the Snowden leaks and you'd have to conclude that almost everything is compromised and every wank you ever had is saved in 4k resolution on an underground server in Langley

Wow, that sounds like they must have a pretty big bank of hard drives to store all that information.
Would it be fair to describe that as a spank bank?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

you'd have to conclude that almost everything is compromised and every wank you ever had is saved in 4k resolution on an underground server in Langley

I assume this anyway as I find it helps the process along.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Failed Imagineer posted:

Haven't thought about that dickhead egg in some time
Every now and then I remember he hasn't blocked me on Twitter yet and I make an attempt to remedy that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I assume this anyway as I find it helps the process along.

*Screaming into the mirror in extremely Rorschach voice*: None of you seem to understand. I'm not being voyeured by you... you're trapped JOing with me!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

Jonathan Bardon's A History of Ireland goes back to the end of the Ice Age then all the way to the 90s peace process, is that far enough back? :v:

Obviously in a pop history way through snippets, that's the only way to do that without hundreds of volumes, but if you want a general interest view of the island of Ireland then it's p. good.

I'm a Geologist so going back to the Ice Age is fine by me! I was looking at that book. As I understand it it started out as a Radio 4 docu series and then got turned into the book. It's not on iPlayer anymore but is on Audible so I'm not sure which version is the better.

Skull Servant posted:

You'd be best starting at 1169 then. You can probably read up the wikipedia pages for anything before that honestly. As for sources, it depends on what you want to invest in! I would recommend The Course of Irish History by Moody and Martin. It has been updated a bunch in recent years. It is basically a textbook, but very readable and gives good insight. I can't really recommend any documentaries or YouTube series, except for Reeling in the Years on RTE, but that is a very modern history of Ireland and exclusively uses archival footage.

I'll check out the Moody and Martin book, thanks.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1231971426586046465?s=19

Seems like ISF are depoliticising after one of their mods accused the SDLP MLA of South Belfast of taking the soup

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I've noticed a lot of west brits complaining about ISF being too lefty.

Is this attempt to depoliticize to get the tans back on board?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
lame, it's a loving Twitter account, they don't need to adhere to some imaginary standard of neutrality when none of the actual Irish media even pretends to do so

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol didn’t they start a political party

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
If the blueshirts on twitter and reddit are to be believed, ISF was a front by SF to brainwash the youth of Ireland (everyone under 65 from the vote results).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marenghi posted:

If the blueshirts on twitter and reddit are to be believed, ISF was a front by SF to brainwash the youth of Ireland (everyone under 65 from the vote results).

ISF = I, SF :aaaaa:

tbh I would love ot live in a world where the greatest political upset since the foundation of the State came about thanks to dedicated shitposting

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Irish Sinn Fein.

That's a legitimately odd response from ISF. They've been political for ages now with no real loss. As noted already, they set up a "political party" and were heavily pushing an anti-FF/FG position in the run-up to the election. To abandon that now and claim to be apolitical is nonsense.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think calling someone from the SDLP a souper veers from tongue-in-cheek tan bashing to full on garrison ball republicanism and as per usual as soon as a Northerner actually says that's not very funny there's a sudden whiplash of "it's only a joke it's only a joke sorry" (that happened with the whole me_ira as well).

Not exactly suprising, like someone with a Belfast accent raising their voice when someone starts chanting up the ra and everyone suddenly staring down at their pints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It’s weird also because it’s just reposting the best of user submitt d content. I think the mods think it’s their voice or something now lol