Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SeANMcBAY posted:

What panel issues?

The 5 series has some pretty significant clouding and off angle viewing issues. They feel more just like low quality panels (obviously) than defects. Perfect for a bedroom TV where it doesn't bother me but I wasn't a fan of it for a daily driver. Depends on usage though. Some people might be fine with that for the main tv depending on what it's for.

edit: Although RTINGS says it doesn't have clouding issues. But man oh man my very much does. Panel lottery again.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

That's not it.

My test for 4K HDR is The Grand Tour S1E1 on Amazon Prime at the opening montage about 7 minutes in. I looks glorious on my LG OLED and my TCL 6-Series.

If I put on something like Mandalorian on my OLED, looks great with no complaints. If I put it on my TCL 6-Series... the show looks so incredibly dark. If I fast forward in the show, the thumbnail image is brighter and has more detail than the show itself. And it's the same way putting on something like Free Solo. It looks like the brightness takes a big hit.

Now my tests for 4K HDR content have pretty much been Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, and the Super Bowl. Only Amazon Prime stuff looks good.

Edit: I should also add that if I disable HDR through the secret menu (HOME BUTTON (5X) - RW - PAUSE - FF - PAUSE - RW), the picture looks bright and acceptable, but not in HDR anymore, for something like Mandalorian. For something like Grand Tour, the quality looks notably worse with the image being much more grainy as a result like I'm watching HD

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 20, 2020

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
What soundbards do people use with the LG C9? I'd like something that's a good bang for the buck but not the cheapest crap.

I'd spring for the Samsung HW-Q90R/EN if it didn't cost as much as my TV did on sale :negative:

e: And do non-LG ones work great? Also, when the audio is anything but regular 2.0 it's awfully quiet so I tend to switch the audio streams a lot of Netflix and it's annoying.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 20, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
If you can find it still the Samsung HW MS650 is extremely good value if you don't want to spend stupid money. I have one and it's my main music source now. It's a couple of years old at this point but the newer models aren't necessarily better.

Edit: $350 at Walmart, assuming you're american. Works fine with all makes of TV and has good enough inbuilt bass that it doesn't need a separate subwoofer, so cuts down on clutter too.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 20, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Going to leap in as "cranky old dude" and just state that if you're spending $300 on audio you're really better off with powered bookshelf speakers. Yes they're bigger and need more cables but the sound, particularly voices, you get out of something with a 5" or bigger woofer is entirely superior to all soundbars. It's just physics :science:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

What soundbards do people use with the LG C9? I'd like something that's a good bang for the buck but not the cheapest crap.

I'd spring for the Samsung HW-Q90R/EN if it didn't cost as much as my TV did on sale :negative:

e: And do non-LG ones work great? Also, when the audio is anything but regular 2.0 it's awfully quiet so I tend to switch the audio streams a lot of Netflix and it's annoying.

I have this Vizio unit, which has a subwoofer and surround speakers. A lot of r/hometheater types will tell you cheap 5.1 is a gimmick and you should spend the money on better speakers instead.

I can definitely appreciate high quality audio. I own a pair of $1500 headphones and a dedicated headphone amp, so I’m more of an audiophile than most. Let me tell you that 5.1 sound is pretty loving cool, even with cheaper speakers. I’ll upgrade my speakers eventually but that Vizio kit works pretty great if you want to keep the cost down.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Arcsech posted:

I have this Vizio unit, which has a subwoofer and surround speakers. A lot of r/hometheater types will tell you cheap 5.1 is a gimmick and you should spend the money on better speakers instead.

I can definitely appreciate high quality audio. I own a pair of $1500 headphones and a dedicated headphone amp, so I’m more of an audiophile than most. Let me tell you that 5.1 sound is pretty loving cool, even with cheaper speakers. I’ll upgrade my speakers eventually but that Vizio kit works pretty great if you want to keep the cost down.

I have that same Vizio unit and it really is amazing at that price, even with dialogue.

I have another, cheaper, Vizio soundbar and it kinda was like "ok this is slightly better than the TV speakers but not blowing me away" but that Vizio you linked is pretty stellar. I bought it refurb'd for $130 and love it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I hate but also love those Vizio 5.1 Soundbars.

They sound great for the price, but cut in and out. It's like if there is no signal it does this thing where the audio fades up when the signal comes back. So even in that split second when changing channels or after a video game load screen, it cuts off the beginning of sounds. Like trying to play games on my NES classic is horrible because there are times in the games where there is no sound.

It's not annoying enough where I bought two of them, but would think they are fine other than that

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Astro7x posted:

They sound great for the price, but cut in and out. It's like if there is no signal it does this thing where the audio fades up when the signal comes back. So even in that split second when changing channels or after a video game load screen, it cuts off the beginning of sounds. Like trying to play games on my NES classic is horrible because there are times in the games where there is no sound.

It's not annoying enough where I bought two of them, but would think they are fine other than that

... mine definitely does not do that

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Astro7x posted:

They sound great for the price, but cut in and out. It's like if there is no signal it does this thing where the audio fades up when the signal comes back.

Mine definitely does not do that. I think yours (or something in your signal path) is broken or misconfigured.

I do have one complaint I forgot to mention: I have an LG C9 and I had a heck of a time getting the audio via ARC from my XBone to not have an ungodly amount of delay. I think this might be specific to the C9 though, because it worked great out of the box on my old Panasonic plasma. I eventually fixed it by setting the audio format to “passthrough” in the settings on the C9.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

qirex posted:

Going to leap in as "cranky old dude" and just state that if you're spending $300 on audio you're really better off with powered bookshelf speakers. Yes they're bigger and need more cables but the sound, particularly voices, you get out of something with a 5" or bigger woofer is entirely superior to all soundbars. It's just physics :science:

Hello maybe you can help. I've been trying to research getting a powered 2.1 or 3.1 system to replace my sound bar and I can't seem to find any straight answers. Would want to be able to control the volume with my harmony remote.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Hello maybe you can help. I've been trying to research getting a powered 2.1 or 3.1 system to replace my sound bar and I can't seem to find any straight answers. Would want to be able to control the volume with my harmony remote.
What's your budget? My "if you're spending over 300" line meant stereo. That said decent 2.0 is better than bad surround and a decent bookshelf speaker will put out more bass than most soundbar subs could. If you want 3.1 you need a surround decoder and a crossover, aka a receiver. There's not really such a thing as a powered 3.1 system that isn't just a 5.1 system with missing bits.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

qirex posted:

Do you have any specific recs for these?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

BonoMan posted:

I have that same Vizio unit and it really is amazing at that price, even with dialogue.

I have another, cheaper, Vizio soundbar and it kinda was like "ok this is slightly better than the TV speakers but not blowing me away" but that Vizio you linked is pretty stellar. I bought it refurb'd for $130 and love it.

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon, I've had one for a few months now and have absolutely no issues with the sound quality. I know it isn't exceptional but it really sounds fine. Google Cast functionality is great to since we already use Google Cast for whole house audio.

Astro7x posted:

Um, I don't have this problem either.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have a cheap Vizio “5.1” sound bar. Remote sub with two rear speakers.

The rear speakers are _mono_. There isn’t left rear and right rear. Just rear. I complained to their customer service. They claimed since it was five speakers and a sub, it was 5.1, even though they didn’t process all 5 channels...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

Do you have any specific recs for these?
Strong disclaimer: I've only personally heard Audioengine A5s out of what I'm going to recommend. I'm sticking to 2.0 systems with bluetooth, remote controls and digital inputs. Studio monitors are great speakers but without volume control they can get annoying.
Vanatoo Transparent Zero and Transparent One $319-600
Aperion Allaire $399 [they have sub bundles too]
Audioengine A5 Wireless, HD6 $499-699 [there's a slightly cheaper model without bluetooth]
Fluance Ai40, Ai60 $199-299
Edifier, too many to list $199-a lot
KEF EGG on AC4L $299
Kanto YU4, YU6 $329-399 [come in lots of colors, go on sale in Canada a lot]
Swans used to be an old standby but they seem to be reaching upmarket. Their cheap model is $500 now.

There's probably more, this is just what I've seen floating around. Sadly Z Reviews on Youtube is one of the best resources of info about a lot of these, he will gladly talk about a pair of $300 speakers for like 40 minutes but the good news is he includes weird usability quirks that a lot of other reviewers gloss over. I'd say if you're going to spend more than $500-600 you should probably look at receivers and passive speakers.

The big downside to taking this route is it's hard to expand later if you want surround or a subwoofer. There's options but they're all janky, even for the ones that do include a sub out. Low bass is annoyingly tricky.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ultimate Mango posted:

The rear speakers are _mono_. There isn’t left rear and right rear. Just rear. I complained to their customer service. They claimed since it was five speakers and a sub, it was 5.1, even though they didn’t process all 5 channels...

What model? That doesn't sound right at all.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have the audio engine a5s and the sub. They are nice but I wouldn’t use them instead of a 5.1 system or “good” sound bar for the same price for pairing with a TV.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Um, no, at least the version posted here that I have and paid $130-ish for refurbished definitely has separate rear channels.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BonoMan posted:

What model? That doesn't sound right at all.

I think it’s this one.

I was pissed when I saw that the rear did not have left or right sides, and when I called to talk to their customer support, they were all kinds of rude. I confirmed this by playing test sounds through a home theater configuration disc. Rears are not separated.

But it was cheap and I wasn’t pissed enough to return it to Costco. It isn’t my main TV, just one used mostly for Switch, previous gen game systems, and movies for the kids in a little nook upstairs.

But yeah don’t be suckered into not actually 5.1 sound bars.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My Vizio 5.1.2 bar does a weird thing where the audio just disappears for a second when i raise or lower the volume. It's probably TV related. Just havent had time to dig into it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ultimate Mango posted:

I think it’s this one.

I was pissed when I saw that the rear did not have left or right sides, and when I called to talk to their customer support, they were all kinds of rude. I confirmed this by playing test sounds through a home theater configuration disc. Rears are not separated.

But it was cheap and I wasn’t pissed enough to return it to Costco. It isn’t my main TV, just one used mostly for Switch, previous gen game systems, and movies for the kids in a little nook upstairs.

But yeah don’t be suckered into not actually 5.1 sound bars.

That doesn't seem right and reviews of that unit confirm its real 5.1.

Are you sure you don't have the wrong mode selected? There's a stereo x 2 mode that just duplicates the front channels to the back.

I can't imagine they made a 5.1 unit that didn't actually have separate rear channels.

Edit: this article sort of mentions something similar. But it's about how the 5.1 signal isn't getting properly passed through the TV (which isn't uncommon). So the signal is dumbed down to stereo. I'd bet dollars to nuts that's what's happening to you. But that's a TV issue and not a sound bar issue.

So I'd check how it's connected and try to skip the pass through.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/vizio-s4251w-b4-review/

quote:

So the S4251w-B4 can create the most immersive, convincing home theater sound we've heard from a budget sound bar -- the only problem is, it's harder than you'd think to get the full effect.

If you connect all your devices directly to your TV first -- as Vizio instructs you to do -- the S4251w-B4 will likely only receive a two-channel PCM signal. That's because the vast majority of TVs "dumb down" incoming surround signals to two-channel PCM, rather than passing a true surround-sound signal. We tested several TVs in the CNET lab and only one of them (Sony's high-end XBR-55HX950) passed bona fide true Dolby Digital signal via its optical audio output.

That doesn't mean you won't hear anything in the rear speakers with the dumbed-down signal. The S4251w-B4 includes DTS Circle Surround processing, which is capable of creating a faux surround-sound mix from stereo sources. Switching between full Dolby Digital and DTS Circle-created faux surround on "Ratatouille" made it clear that there's a definite difference, with the Dolby mix sounding livelier, with a more defined surround-sound stage. But the DTS Circle mix wasn't bad, either, still creating a rainy ambiance in the opening scene with pitter-patter in the surround channels. Most listeners will likely appreciate the 360-degree sound without being too picky about the difference.

The other workaround is directly connecting devices to the sound bar using their audio outputs, rather than using your TV as as switcher. It's ultimately less convenient and you'll be limited to four devices overall. Only two of the inputs support true surround sound (optical and coaxial), and one of your devices will need a coaxial audio output, which is less common. It can work for some setups, but it's less than ideal. (Consider a universal remote to ease the pain of all the input switching.)

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 21, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BonoMan posted:

That doesn't seem right and reviews of that unit confirm its real 5.1.

Are you sure you don't have the wrong mode selected? There's a stereo x 2 mode that just duplicates the front channels to the back.

I can't imagine they made a 5.1 unit that didn't actually have separate rear channels.

Edit: this article sort of mentions something similar. But it's about how the 5.1 signal isn't getting properly passed through the TV (which isn't uncommon). So the signal is dumbed down to stereo. I'd bet dollars to nuts that's what's happening to you. But that's a TV issue and not a sound bar issue.

So I'd check how it's connected and try to skip the pass through.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/vizio-s4251w-b4-review/

I have confirmed good signals going into the unit. The rears aren’t even labeled left and right and their support confirmed that both rears should output the same thing, that they are not stereo.

I can even get the sound bar to show it’s doing Dolby digital or whatever, but the rears are still mono.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn’t that how Pro Logic worked, with a single rear channel matrixed into a stereo signal rather than discrete channels.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have confirmed good signals going into the unit. The rears aren’t even labeled left and right and their support confirmed that both rears should output the same thing, that they are not stereo.

I can even get the sound bar to show it’s doing Dolby digital or whatever, but the rears are still mono.

The speakers aren't labeled left and right on any of the units like that (mine included ) because the idea is you could swap if needed.

The support likely just doesn't know what they're talking about. That's not uncommon. That unit does true 5.1.

And the whole point of what I posted is that it doesn't matter if you're feeding it a good signal or you have the proper settings on the sound bar. It's easy to get the TV to block it from getting parsed right.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time with it. But you didn't get tricked. It offers 5.1 channels. You just have something screwing it up in the chain.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a small LCD tv that I'm using for vidya games and I'm trying to find a stand for it that will let me rotate it 90 degrees for shmups.

The stand I have no has a rotation feature but since it's a 32" tv on a stand built for a tv that size, I can't rotate the tv without smacking the stand itself.

I think I just need the exact same thing I have now but for a bigger television but i can't find any other stands that allow for rotation in a bigger size.

Any ideas?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Lie on your side while playing them

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

The rears aren’t even labeled left and right

Yeah, just occurred to me why you thought this, they are marked but very poorly, they are however color coded, both the jacks on the sub and the rear speaker and the cables, white to white, blue to blue.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, just occurred to me why you thought this, they are marked but very poorly, they are however color coded, both the jacks on the sub and the rear speaker and the cables, white to white, blue to blue.

It shouldn't matter regardless. I mean I guess it can help for making sure it's on the right side (but you can do that by sight unless you're running cables through the wall and it's easy to forget). The speakers are identical tech wise and should be swappable.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have a small LCD tv that I'm using for vidya games and I'm trying to find a stand for it that will let me rotate it 90 degrees for shmups.

The stand I have no has a rotation feature but since it's a 32" tv on a stand built for a tv that size, I can't rotate the tv without smacking the stand itself.

I think I just need the exact same thing I have now but for a bigger television but i can't find any other stands that allow for rotation in a bigger size.

Any ideas?

Assuming it has a vesa mount, would something like this work?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Assuming it has a vesa mount, would something like this work?

I saw that one but it doesn't rotate. It use swivels.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm looking for a television recommendation. I'd like to spend less than $1,500 dollars, and I have the following needs:

70 inches (75 inches won't fit where I need it to go)
4k, HDR (Dolby Vision compatible)
A fairly decent stand

When I go to Best Buy or wherever and I look at TVs, the differences in HDR quality between panels is huge, and I don't really understand why. There seems to be OLED and QLED technology, which I think is basically the same, and then there are the crazy high-end $4000 TVs. I've had a hard time telling the difference between marketing-speak and actual technology and I can't figure out which series I'd have to buy in order to get that stunning bright/dark contrast effect with HDR. Is all of this possible within my budget?

I also have a question. I've got a receiver, a Denon AVR-E400, and it does HDMI pass-through. Will it work for 4K HDR pass-through or do I need to get a new receiver?

Thanks!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

If you want the best picture quality for around the price you're asking then look for the 65 inch LG OLED B9 or C9.

OLED and QLED are decidedly not the same technology, QLED is Samsung's marketing gimmick named to make people think they're equivalent. They're just high end LED tvs. This thread seems to hate Samsung for that and other reasons I don't fully understand, but they still make very good TVs, but there might be better value propositions depending on your specific usage needs.

You're best off doing some research on rtings.com and educating yourself a bit more before taking the plunge. Any TV you buy at $1500 is gonna have excellent HDR, but generally regular LEDs can get brighter, whereas OLEDs have perfect blacks, so depending on where you'll be putting the TV one or the other might be more appropriate. (Brighter room; LED, darker room, OLED)

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 22, 2020

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I saw that one but it doesn't rotate. It use swivels.

Oh duh, my bad. Not sure what your setup looks like, but what about a monitor arm like this?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BonoMan posted:

The 5 series has some pretty significant clouding and off angle viewing issues. They feel more just like low quality panels (obviously) than defects. Perfect for a bedroom TV where it doesn't bother me but I wasn't a fan of it for a daily driver. Depends on usage though. Some people might be fine with that for the main tv depending on what it's for.

edit: Although RTINGS says it doesn't have clouding issues. But man oh man my very much does. Panel lottery again.

Maybe I'll stick with my S405 and wait for the 2020 5 series. Do we have any indication when that's coming? When does TCL usually release new models?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Maybe I'll stick with my S405 and wait for the 2020 5 series. Do we have any indication when that's coming? When does TCL usually release new models?

Apparently rtings.com says it doesn't have cloudiy so it's likely just my panel. It was black Friday so they were all packed in like sardines. Who knows what happened to it. Excellent TV for the price though.

As for the 2020 panels. The 2019 didn't come until the end of the year-ish so I'd expect the same. As well as a 75" version of the 6 Series.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish they'd make a 43 inch version of the 6 series. I'd buy it then.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Sneeze Party posted:

There seems to be OLED and QLED technology, which I think is basically the same

Sneeze Party posted:

I've had a hard time telling the difference between marketing-speak and actual technology

Yeah, these go together, but to be fair, QLED exists to confuse customers. QLED = a standard LCD with quantum dots for wider color gamut.

You want two things for good HDR: High peak brightness and great contrast ratio.

OLEDs clearly win contrast ratio but don't get to the peak brightness of some of the premium LCDs.

The LCDs with the best contrast ratio will have local dimming to individually turn off backlight zones, along with a LOT of backlight zones. If you're at a Best Buy you may be seeing high end LCDs like the Samsung Q90R with ~480 or a Sony Z9G with 700ish. More budget TVs might have 50-120 zones. They will still not approach the contrast of an OLED set.

It's a bit of a tradeoff you have to make. You also have a lot less options at 70 than at 65/75/77, unfortunately. In fact I can't think of a single premium set at 70" :/ You may be better off with 65. Agree with the recommendation to review rtings reviews.

Here are a few to compare: Sony X950G or H, LG OLED65C9 or CX, Samsung Q80R/Q90R, Vizio PX65-G1. More budget models: TCL 6 series, Hisense H9F.

Sneeze Party posted:

I also have a question. I've got a receiver, a Denon AVR-E400, and it does HDMI pass-through. Will it work for 4K HDR pass-through or do I need to get a new receiver?

I'm afraid not -- I don't think that receiver has HDCP 2.2, the key feature, so can't pass through 4k copy protected stuff.

KS fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 23, 2020

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

KS posted:

Yeah, these go together, but to be fair, QLED exists to confuse customers. QLED = a standard LCD with quantum dots for wider color gamut.

You want two things for good HDR: High peak brightness and great contrast ratio.

OLEDs clearly win contrast ratio but don't get to the peak brightness of some of the premium LCDs.

The LCDs with the best contrast ratio will have local dimming to individually turn off backlight zones, along with a LOT of backlight zones. If you're at a Best Buy you may be seeing high end LCDs like the Samsung Q90R with ~480 or a Sony Z9G with 700ish. More budget TVs might have 50-120 zones. They will still not approach the contrast of an OLED set.

It's a bit of a tradeoff you have to make. You also have a lot less options at 70 than at 65/75/77, unfortunately. In fact I can't think of a single premium set at 70" :/ You may be better off with 65. Agree with the recommendation to review rtings reviews.

Here are a few to compare: Sony X950G or H, LG OLED65C9 or CX, Samsung Q80R/Q90R, Vizio PX65-G1. More budget models: TCL 6 series, Hisense H9F.

I'm afraid not -- I don't think that receiver has HDCP 2.2, the key feature, so can't pass through 4k copy protected stuff.
This is very helpful information, thanks! I'm leaning toward a Vizio now, since it's the least expensive and it seems like I'd need a new receiver too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have a bad feeling my 2015 Samsung tv is failing on me. But any suggestions would be appreciated.

I recently noticed that the colors on my tv seem off. Mostly noticeable in people’s faces. They seemed more red and washed out. I initially chalked it up to watching tv during the daytime, as the room this tv is in had a couple of windows. But the problem persisted at night when we don’t have a lot of lights in the room.

I checked the settings, and they were the same as the RTings settings from when I initially set up the tv, so nothing changed there. I got the image to look a little better be sliding the red/green slider towards green, and toning down the brightness a bit. But the colors still look a little off, but I am not sure what is off about them.

I also noticed that when playing DQ11 (Switch version) that now dark spaces look especially dark, and bright spaces are especially bright. I turned up the brightness in the game a bit to compensate for the tv brightness being turned down, but it seems like I have to constantly adjust the game brightness when I didn’t have to before.

Is there a decent tool/app I can use to manually adjust the tv colors and try to bring them back to normal? Or is some controller failing, and it’s just going to get continually worse. I would like to avoid having to replace this tv, as I spent a pretty good amount of money on it at the time, but it is our primary tv.