Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

axolotl farmer posted:

I set a scrap of paper on fire with the toaster when the pilot light on my stove had gone out and I didn't have any matches or lighters around.

Gas? In Sweden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Groda posted:

Gas? In Sweden?

Nei, elektrisk, varför?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Groda posted:

Gas? In Sweden?

I'm sure men in saunas are a net exporter

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

axolotl farmer posted:

I set a scrap of paper on fire with the toaster when the pilot light on my stove had gone out and I didn't have any matches or lighters around.

Dry spaghetti also makes a great fireplace/pilot match

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Arms_Akimbo posted:

This is absolutely true, and it has the added bonus of making you look like a loving crazy person, waving burning spaghetti around.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Groda posted:

Gas? In Sweden?

There are gas ranges here. A handful of cities (Stockholm, Malmö, Helsingborg and a couple more) have gas lines to some residences. And there's a bunch of people like me who use propane so we can have a proper range.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Memento posted:

Yep, chainsaw chaps. I was clearing a deadfall tree from a country road in the early 2000s with a chainsaw, and I had chaps and a face mask on. I had no mobile reception and was more than 20km away from the nearest person.

I cut a branch applying steady force and letting the chainsaw do the work, without realising that the branch was full of dry rot. The chainsaw went straight through it like a hot knife through butter and swung down to smack me on the middle of the inner thigh before I could get my wrist up to hit the chain brake. The saw stalled out as it mulched my chaps. It was in femoral artery territory, so considering where I was I'm pretty comfortable saying that pair of assless pants saved my life.

Cutting a ~30" diameter Oak trunk wearing assless chaps, and a mask. Hit something, and the saw kicked back and nailed my right shoulder. The saw was an older Homelite with no anti-kickback hardware at all. I got real lucky in that when it kicked, I let off the throttle, and the chain was only spinning from its inertia. Tore a nice hole in my jacket. REAL lucky.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to do some work in the mid to late 90s for a company involved with the Stihl Timbersports series. They had promotional stuff for those saw stop chaps, but said the guys in the competition refused to use that stuff because of the damage it would do to their custom saws. Same with the axe guys and steel toed boots and whatnot.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You'd think those guys would be looking for excuses to make/buy even cooler custom saws.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I used to do some work in the mid to late 90s for a company involved with the Stihl Timbersports series. They had promotional stuff for those saw stop chaps, but said the guys in the competition refused to use that stuff because of the damage it would do to their custom saws. Same with the axe guys and steel toed boots and whatnot.

[cuts off own leg] is my saw okay??

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

They’re ineffective with electric chainsaws, which cannot stall out.

They don't stall the saw in all cases (like the one posted). They jam the clutch.
They're definitely not as effective on electric saws, which make more torque the slower they spin, but they're not completely ineffective. I haven't seen an official report, but there sure is a lot of "chaps won't stop an electric saw" scuttlebutt.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/h8tGcdL.mp4

Chainsaw protective pants. Imgur comments say this has been around a while, the Kevlar peels off and jams the saw.

That's a small (maybe 61cc) saw at not-full RPM. Husqvarna branded pants I think, and made more for mobility and comfort than high-end protection. I think they're Class 1's, based on the 20m/s sticker. Primarily aimed at climbers and lighter saws.

I wear Labonville full-wraps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEt0Fl1cosw

That's a serious saw, at full RPM. No cut-through. They're hot, heavy, and not for climbing at ALL. However, they'll save my leg if I gently caress up with my 262XP.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 20, 2020

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I like how these guys consider their saws to be more important than their own lives. Did they even understand the difference between "broken saw and nicked leg" versus "slashed inner thigh, minutes to live without a tourniquet?"

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So Stihl Germany is no fun.
All their events feature full PPE for all participants.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Doritos are a really good fire starter. The oils and dust make them light easily, the cornmeal means it lasts a long time.

sharkytm posted:

I wear Labonville full-wraps

That's a serious saw, at full RPM. No cut-through. They're hot, heavy, and not for climbing at ALL. However, they'll save my leg if I gently caress up with my 262XP.

I had a full-weight set of chaps on at the time, and the ball sweat was always a serious consideration. My mother still has them in her attic, in a box somewhere, with a photo of the bruise I gave myself on my inner thigh from the blade. I've always been an ATGATT type of guy and I'm still around because of it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Zernach posted:

Can't you do that same thing with a 9V battery much easier (and safer)?

Yeah, steel wool + a 9V battery is an excellent all-weather firestarter

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/suG9rlX.mp4

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Unless there was a person under there that they needed to rescue right that second that seems dumb as gently caress.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/luLJdWT.mp4

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

ohgod ohgod ohgod ohgod ohgod ohgod

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

I'm so conflicted with not wanting to see anyone get hurt, but also wanting these people in particular to get hurt.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
That's a clencher right there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So Stihl Germany is no fun.
All their events feature full PPE for all participants.

So glad Australian woodchops are still pretty much old school.

Fat men with huge arms in blue singlets brutalising the gently caress out of tree trunks thicker than their guts.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
had a friend who smacked a fly on a french window and one of the little panes broke...he sliced a nerve and artery in his palm, had to have multiple surgeries, lost feeling in part of his hand. glass is not something to play with.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

ohgod ohgod ohgod ohgod ohgod ohgod

Extremely :same:

"no no no no no why what no what no"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Unless there was a person under there that they needed to rescue right that second that seems dumb as gently caress.

Even if there was, they were rocking it back and forth over them like a rolling pin...

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I watched it twice before I saw the guy flip into the truck bed.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

sharkytm posted:

...I wear Labonville full-wraps
Could you recommend something reasonably priced and effective for use with a small gas saw, for someone that uses a chainsaw a handful of times a year? I'm guessing probably not full-wrap, but also not not full-wrap if that's very important.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SpaceCadetBob posted:

An overturned vehicle is always a risk of fluid leakages, and the more you delay with obstacle clearance the more the traffic gets jammed, which in itself can delay a lift truck from reaching the place.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
They'd have done this with a winch but ten men and one acrobat do just as good work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hugh Malone posted:

I watched it twice before I saw the guy flip into the truck bed.

You gotta know when to let go.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

Could you recommend something reasonably priced and effective for use with a small gas saw, for someone that uses a chainsaw a handful of times a year? I'm guessing probably not full-wrap, but also not not full-wrap if that's very important.

Class 1 pants, either Husqy or Stihl. Every arborist here wears them. Plenty thick enough to stop a top handle or homeowner saw, comfy, flexible, and like $100. Expensive, yes, but that's two pairs of Carhartt pants, and what's your femoral artery worth? You'll likely have them for a decade, especially if you aren't running a saw a lot.

My chaps are overkill for most things, but I run non-homeowner chain and a reasonably big saw. I used to cut a lot more wood, but those days are behind me. Mostly I run my Echo CS-440 these days. The 262XP only comes out for big oaks or after storms

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 21, 2020

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Vanadium Dame fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 3, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/DZ7lNn7.gifv

I think I can see how it was set on fire...

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah but hay can autoignite if it's damp enough

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Oh look, a fire truck.

Soon to be followed by other, different fire trucks.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Memento posted:

I had a full-weight set of chaps on at the time, and the ball sweat was always a serious consideration. My mother still has them in her attic, in a box somewhere, with a photo of the bruise I gave myself on my inner thigh from the blade. I've always been an ATGATT type of guy and I'm still around because of it.

I misread this that your mother had your balls in the attic, in a box somewhere and my first thought was 'well, that's a good anecdote to make men wear protective trousers'.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shut up Meg posted:

I misread this that your mother had your balls in the attic, in a box somewhere and my first thought was 'well, that's a good anecdote to make men wear protective trousers'.

lol "this is what I got out of that useless idiot instead of grandchildren"

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Memento posted:

https://adrbook.com/en/2017/UN/1327

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Low budget Ghost Rider on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Memento posted:

Doritos are a really good fire starter. The oils and dust make them light easily, the cornmeal means it lasts a long time.

ATGATT

Like any self respecting goon would burn Doritos. Even in a life or death situation.

What the poo poo is ATGATT?