Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

The Aphasian posted:

Otherwise it's flipper chic, with the money put into luxuries.

This light is either on sale everywhere or was featured on HGTV becuase they are everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Qwijib0 posted:

This light is either on sale everywhere or was featured on HGTV becuase they are everywhere.

It's a cheap Home Depot model:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-De...HDCDI/301294682

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I think I have found the final boss of McMansions.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9079-Gray-Lake-Rd-Gillett-WI-54124/105027819_zpid/

Good lord this roofline

Lawyer foyer? No, lawyer lobby

For such a huge fuckoff living room I'd think they would have a bigger TV. Also excellent placement directly across from huge windows.

This isn't a kitchen, this is a kitchen cabinet showroom

All glory to the ceiling butthole

This is where they keep the concubines

MANCAVE gotta show how many animals I've killed because there aren't nearly enough dead animals in the rest of the house

11,000+ sf and it can be yours for $2.6 million

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Who could possibly think that a tray ceiling looks better with a faded, dirty bedsheet in the center? At first glance, I thought it was some kind of tarp for painting or a leaky roof.

I really hope those mancave ceiling panels are made out of (p)leather like they look like with the HDR set to 1 billion.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Why are some of the skulls apparently plasti-dipped?

Who authorized that stupidity?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Painted skulls are this whole thing:
https://www.pinterest.com/andrearwalters/painted-deer-skulls/

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Jeezus.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I know what this house needs - piles of loving rocks!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

This is where they keep the concubines

There's always the secondary rooms that always feel so like clinical, or commercial. Like hastily constructed off-campus student housing. Just needs the drop ceiling tiles.

quote:

MANCAVE gotta show how many animals I've killed because there aren't nearly enough dead animals in the rest of the house

I'm wondering what got content-aware filled at the bottom here. Probably just the photographer, but I'm wondering why they didn't just crop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

gay antivagrant rocks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guy Axlerod posted:

I'm wondering what got content-aware filled at the bottom here. Probably just the photographer, but I'm wondering why they didn't just crop.

You mean the rug?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Guy Axlerod posted:

I think it's a rug. It's a bit of an optical illusion, but it looks like a rug to me.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I think it's a rug. It's a bit of an optical illusion, but it looks like a rug to me.

It really ties the room together, so it must be a rug. QED

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Aphasian posted:

House shopping in Yakima with a seller's market with 1-2% vacancy. Found a nice Spanish-style house a flipper bought from a hoarder and then made some choices in.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/12-Chicago-Ave-Yakima,-WA,-98902_rb/23686259_zpid/

Before:

After:

Other side of that arch, where a big shade tree was removed on south side of flat-roofed house. "The Palm Springs of Washington" gets 320 days of sun a year.

This window is behind the microwave. That blue box is in the top cabinet, where the microwave/charcoal vent is plugged in. The photo was taken from the narrow strip between houses. There is an ancient giant REEM vent above it that I assume would work for a stove if that window didn't exist.

Otherwise it's flipper chic, with the money put into luxuries. There were permits and stuff on the counter, but if I wasn't already hesitant about the flat roof, that microwave window scared me off. There were a lot of instances of lack of care in the finishing, paint spatter on the finished basement floor, and you can see in the listing photo that the drawer under the sink is missing a handle, right next to the fancy tub. The beautiful vaulted ceiling with exposed beams and a 180 degree view of the hills also still has it's external vent/birdhouse and I'm not confident he insulated and sealed that roof correctly. There is a new panel full of 15 amp breakers and outlets in the floor, but the wiring isn't updated? I've seen a few houses with knob and tube still, but couldn't verify what was in the walls.

Check out the price history for a tale of hubris and shame.

This is a property next door to a friend's place. It's owned by a flipper company. They tore down the old house and built this thing instead. In the process, they put an excavator through my friend's wall. He's having to sue to get them to pay for that.

He's also a contractor. I remarked on how poor the quality looked, and his response was "Good eye. They're just using the cheapest materials and construction methods possible."

Not visible from the Streetview: there's a rooftop patio cut into the roof. It's only accessible by ladder.

They'll probably ask close to $2mil for the place.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 21, 2020

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Youth Decay posted:

I think their bodies are embedded inside the walls

roeburying drywalls

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Post Rainer blow hellscape inspired?

Youth Decay posted:

I think I have found the final boss of McMansions.

Which Packers lineman lived here? There is no way that is Aaron Rodgers crib.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 21, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

They'll probably ask close to $2mil for the place.

Holy poo poo that looks like it could’ve been any of the worker housing from turn of the century iron works, just with bigger windows.

I used to drive by entire blocks of that stuff condemned and boarded up because the slumlords finally stopped caring about basic maintenance and the city had no money to tear it down.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The rocks really look like they're just piled up over/instead of a path to the door.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
what happened to McMansion Hell?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

riderchop posted:

She's still going, but life gets in the way.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

drat. The stove fandom have shown up. Quick everyone, post your opinions on favorite stovetop burner placements. I use all of them, but generally the left front burner gets the most use from boiling water for tea.

If you give a poo poo about cooking, your tools matter to you.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

riderchop posted:

Kate got married and also paid a lot of money to do things that aren't free

I miss it being more frequent, that's for sure, but good for her

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

That's not a McMansion, that's just a regular mansion.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

FCKGW posted:

That's not a McMansion, that's just a regular mansion.

Regular mansions generally resemble houses (but way bigger) and not a procedurally generated mass of faux-stone and 20 different window types.
All the hallmarks of McMansion are there:
-No overarching architectural style; the rooms all look like they might as well be from different houses.
-Many different rooflines with no pattern or symmetry
-Barren lawn with no landscaping beyond the soul patch in the driveway (compare to the often elaborate gardens and ornamental plantings around mansions)
-Car hole takes up a large amount of the overall mass of the building (actual mansions often have below-grade parking or a separate garage building altogether).
-Business in the front, party in the back (no front porches or patios but an elaborate collection of balconies in the rear)
-Multi-story foyer opening directly to a single staircase (real mansions usually have a service staircase closer to the kitchen)
-more bathrooms than bedrooms
-Large carpeted void "bonus space" put in by the builder to increase square footage without much cost on their part to add walls and plumbing)
-Relatively little ornamentation; emphasis on (fake) luxury materials over craftsmanship. Compared to the mansions it is trying to emulate, the level of detail in the wood and metalwork just isn't there

I know I'm missing some but my point is that McMansion size doesn't really have an upper bound.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dillbag posted:

A mobile cave that never went anywhere. Fascinating.

I just want you to know that I understood that reference, and I appreciate it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The whole interior looks shopped to me. Especially the "kitchen". Something about the weird angles and masses of identical cabinets.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

I know I'm missing some but my point is that McMansion size doesn't really have an upper bound.

Mostly, the McMansion hate is just a bunch of sour grapes from individuals that can't afford to make bad decorating/architectural decisions at that level of scale (read: price.) There's plenty of plain/ugly middle class homes with bad layouts and tacky decorations ('Live, laugh, love', Thomas Kinkade 'art', etc.), but it doesn't elicit the same following as making fun of people that can, ostensibly, afford to make unpopular, $6-figure+ decisions.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

B-Nasty posted:

Mostly, the McMansion hate is just a bunch of sour grapes from individuals that can't afford to make bad decorating/architectural decisions at that level of scale (read: price.) There's plenty of plain/ugly middle class homes with bad layouts and tacky decorations ('Live, laugh, love', Thomas Kinkade 'art', etc.), but it doesn't elicit the same following as making fun of people that can, ostensibly, afford to make unpopular, $6-figure+ decisions.

The difference being that McMansions are almost always "custom" or at least "customized" without the input of an architect, whereas poorly laid out modern tract home like KBHomes or Lennar shits out on the low end are built and sold "as-is" with your only options being fixtures and finishes. If you're spending $150k on a house, an architectural consult is a substantial cost, but if you're building for a half million it's not.

Same goes for interior design. Hiring a designer to help you coherently decorate ten thousand sqft is a rounding error on your furniture budget, but hiring a designer for your 2 bedroom budget hut doesn't even make sense, since most of the furniture is either secondhand, discounted, or what you could get at Wal-Mart.

A $250 Live Laugh Love wrought iron wall hanging in your million dollar bullshit palace is ugly and indicative of your lack of aesthetic sense. A $7 Live Laugh Love vinyl cling on the wall of a double wide is just sad. Punch up.

That said, sorry not sorry that you're obviously a bit butthurt by us attacking Middle Class Fancy idiots making bad decisions. We're just as able to help people out of those holes as bury them in them, if you want to post pictures of your McMansion.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

B-Nasty posted:

An ordinary fuckup isn't as spectacular as a monumental fuckup. Literally monumental, a built McMansion is a monument that is a fuckup.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Plastik posted:

That said, sorry not sorry that you're obviously a bit butthurt by us attacking Middle Class Fancy idiots making bad decisions. We're just as able to help people out of those holes as bury them in them, if you want to post pictures of your McMansion.

I'm just playing a little devil's advocate, because above basic utility, most home decorating and designing (at any price-point) is thinly veiled ostentatiousness. It's not like there's some objective, timeless version of good design: today's gray walls are yesterday's honey oak cabinets. The grand Victorian mansions now held in high regard as pinnacles of beauty were probably seen as garish monstrosities by people living in log cabins or whatever back in the 1800s too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

B-Nasty posted:

I'm just playing a little devil's advocate, because above basic utility, most home decorating and designing (at any price-point) is thinly veiled ostentatiousness. It's not like there's some objective, timeless version of good design: today's gray walls are yesterday's honey oak cabinets. The grand Victorian mansions now held in high regard as pinnacles of beauty were probably seen as garish monstrosities by people living in log cabins or whatever back in the 1800s too.

I saw a statue of 18th century King Charles III of Spain made during his lifetime to decorate his palace and he's wearing Roman style muscle-cuirass armor but still looks like a goofball with a giant muppet style Bourbon nose. It looks really silly now and I'm sure it looked silly then.

Design trends may not be universally timeless but tackiness certainly can be.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Guy Axlerod posted:

There's always the secondary rooms that always feel so like clinical, or commercial. Like hastily constructed off-campus student housing. Just needs the drop ceiling tiles.

It's probably just the leftover space in the footprint after all the other dimensioned rooms are put in the template the builder used

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

B-Nasty posted:

I'm just playing a little devil's advocate

[handyman voice] well there's your problem

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You see, I'm only making GBS threads on the filthy poors to be contrarian

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

riderchop posted:

https://twitter.com/thetorpedodog/s...3D96%23lastpost

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

B-Nasty posted:

The problem isn't that their designs are bad so much as incoherent. Like with the beamasterj bathroom, my partner loves damask print, bold colors, chandeliers, modern design, basically all the elements of that bathroom, but hates the bathroom as a whole because it's just random poo poo dumped in a room and the individual elements don't make sense in the context of the room.

There is no artistry there. It's individual decisions made in a near-vacuum, resulting in an incoherent whole. There's no aesthetic it's going for, and it achieves less than the sum of its parts. This isn't some "New Aesthetic," it's a total lack of an aesthetic, and while that's absolutely going to be the Design Trend that the 2000s are ultimately remembered for, "a whole bunch of random poo poo in a room" isn't a coherent enough stylebook for anyone to say they "like" or "miss".

It's nothing. That's nothing. Modern trash design is nothing.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Plus, with stuff people call McMansions, the construction materials and techniques are usually shoddy. Should it matter if someone designs their dream house with ridiculous rooflines? No, except when those rooflines concentrate rainwater into a pocket that rots through because they used cheap material. Cheap foam inserts replicated ruined stone, heavy overhangs on thin, unsound foam columns, and balcony hell all have the same problems. If older buildings have lasted until today, it's because they were built solidly, and that's worth something even if the utilities are out of date and there's architectural elements that don't make sense anymore.

The absolute worst stuff is things people weren't even really intended to stay in, cheap-expensive real estate made for property investments.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:stare: That propane cylinder on the valve of the much larger cylinder inches from a tankless water heater which is unlikely far enough away from that operable window or the poorly sealed sections on the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

what in the goddamn gently caress is that