Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

qirex posted:

The breaks in the lights are because they’re animated. I think one of my Things I need to get over is that gap between what I see and what the photo ends up being. Someone who hasn’t seen the Bay Bridge at night wouldn’t know that.

I was holding my camera still on a concrete railing over the water, I did longer exposures but they were blurry because my “press down on a flat surface” technique seems to have a ~12 second limit before I twitch.

I have found that the 2 second timer is the perfect tool for that job. Set the camera down somewhere sturdy and press the shutter. 2 seconds is enough time that any jitters from pressing the shutter button settle down. Even if the surface is rounded and you need to keep a grip on the camera, using the 2 second timer lets you press and then grasp firmly in a hold that you're less likely to twitch in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Looking at this photo feels like a massage for my brain

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Love these.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Still kicking myself for not pulling the focus closer. At f22, I thought I had enough, but clearly didn't.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

yo guys, you don't need to thumbnail your huge images here, you're with friends. we're all here to chill and look at photos, stop making me work for it

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Still kicking myself for not pulling the focus closer. At f22, I thought I had enough, but clearly didn't.

looks more like you have a shitload of swing and tilt for some reason

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That I know I didn't do :). It was very late and very cold, but the camera was set up(reasonably) straight.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

there's an obvious tilt, your focal plane cuts right through the crane

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

That I know I didn't do :). It was very late and very cold, but the camera was set up(reasonably) straight.

I'm sure you didn't do it intentionally. I'd love to hear your alternative explanation for why the middle of the cranes are in focus but not their tops or bottoms.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hmm. I see your point (and also why I couldn't make sense of the focus in this). Dark cloth shifted the back, maybe? Just seems like it would have to be a fairly extreme movement.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Hmm. I see your point (and also why I couldn't make sense of the focus in this). Dark cloth shifted the back, maybe? Just seems like it would have to be a fairly extreme movement.

Did you take this with an Intrepid?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

a small amount of front tilt can radically affect focus

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, that'll teach me to pay more attention.

Meanwhile, this is simpler.

(Finally have time to get stuff developed and scanned!)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

a small amount of front tilt can radically affect focus

Yeah, this. The wider your lens is and the further away your subject is, the more a small amount of tilt will affect your focus. Read up on the Scheimpflug principle and if you feel like it, do the math for some real-world examples.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Did you take this with an Intrepid?

The biggest tell for me that the people who made the Intrepid designed their camera without ever having used a LF camera made by somebody else is that there aren't even zeroing marks for any of the movements, much less detents.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

But the question is, why is the entire road from foreground to background out of focus? That looks like it would be pretty obvious on the ground glass, even without a loupe.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

alkanphel posted:

But the question is, why is the entire road from foreground to background out of focus? That looks like it would be pretty obvious on the ground glass, even without a loupe.

Seconding this. Also if you can I'd go back and re-take it.
That looks like a lovely scene/shot that is worth re-doing properly.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

alkanphel posted:

I promised myself I wouldn't make any excuses, but this was after a 14 hour work day. I walked past the spot on my way home, did a test shot on the phone and decided I needed to shoot it. Went back home, backed up my gear (Camera was already on tripod, film was loaded) and got back there at 1am. It was -10C, which is the coldest I've experienced in many years. I'll admit that I did not check the focus on the road, but instead focused (hah!) on the buildings and cranes.

Re-shooting it is doable, but the snow is long gone (It should still work without it)...however, getting the misty air may be tricky without having it raining too much. There's a bunch of other alleyways that I want to shoot as well.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I promised myself I wouldn't make any excuses, but this was after a 14 hour work day. I walked past the spot on my way home, did a test shot on the phone and decided I needed to shoot it. Went back home, backed up my gear (Camera was already on tripod, film was loaded) and got back there at 1am. It was -10C, which is the coldest I've experienced in many years. I'll admit that I did not check the focus on the road, but instead focused (hah!) on the buildings and cranes.

Re-shooting it is doable, but the snow is long gone (It should still work without it)...however, getting the misty air may be tricky without having it raining too much. There's a bunch of other alleyways that I want to shoot as well.

Well hopefully you learned a lesson to always check the final focus before sliding in the film.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Actually I'm thinking of going there with some black and white and make sure I got the technical bits dialed.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I’ve ruined so many shots by loving up the focus. I’m a bit short-sighted which can make it really hard to tell when I’m peering through the viewfinder. I somewhat recently got glasses which kind of help but they make it awkward to hold a camera right up in my face. I’m sure some of you here must also have the same problem, do you get around it with contacts or what? I haven’t tried them yet myself because they sound like a giant hassle but I’d love to be able to see focus properly and not have to rely on auto focus and trying to guess the appropriate aperture so much

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Shooting with a TLR is great for glasses wearers :)

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Unless I'm shooting my Horseman I just wear contacts, and before my Minolta exploded I used a correcting eyepiece. I recommend either or if you don't want to fight with your glasses and want to shoot seriously.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

:drat:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Great photo, for me the mood is somewhat affected by the Coronation Street LP ;)

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

Great photo, for me the mood is somewhat affected by the Coronation Street LP ;)

Haha. I know what you mean.

I was being cheeky and popped my camera in the doorway to take the photo. The owner wanted to know what I was doing so I showed him the shot and he said ‘Oh yeah that’s fine. Just don’t want you to make the place look messy’. :stare: ok dude.

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 22, 2020

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

Dope.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Pretty Cool Name