Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Monster Duchess's wholesomeness makes up for its lack of isekai-ness vis a vis qualifying for this thread IMO.

For an actual isekai that seems pretty wholesome so far, I've been enjoying The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady quite a bit. It's another "technically isekai but it doesn't really affect much" story, but it stands out in that it's a) almost certainly going the yuri route; and b) looks like it's technically an otome game isekai except the MC has no idea and isn't involved in that plot until she "rescues" the villainess after the MC's brother dumps her. It hits some of the same notes as Bakarina for me, though this MC is completely self-aware about how odd she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Venuz Patrol posted:

extremely ominous that all the female love interests were excised from the trailer

Worrying over nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Y2yQnJUK8

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
They had to find a catapult big enough to launch all of them at Bakarina.

Worth the wait.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Girls PV, yeah!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I love that the ending theme song is called "BAD END".

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fenrisulfr posted:

Monster Duchess's wholesomeness makes up for its lack of isekai-ness vis a vis qualifying for this thread IMO.

For an actual isekai that seems pretty wholesome so far, I've been enjoying The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady quite a bit. It's another "technically isekai but it doesn't really affect much" story, but it stands out in that it's a) almost certainly going the yuri route; and b) looks like it's technically an otome game isekai except the MC has no idea and isn't involved in that plot until she "rescues" the villainess after the MC's brother dumps her. It hits some of the same notes as Bakarina for me, though this MC is completely self-aware about how odd she is.

I love the Giant Mom. She's incredibly awesome.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so does the fact that middle aged man who reincarnated as an otome noble lady doesn't seem to experience any dysphoria mean he's been repressing some poo poo for the first fifty years of his life

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I got the impression that his soul wasn't 100% in control since what he says gets changed to match more closely to what a noble would say. Maybe it also helps him deal with being in a entirely different body.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://mangadex.org/chapter/810586/1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g02QU-xPV1I

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Yakuza Reincarnation

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

doomrider7 posted:

I love the Giant Mom. She's incredibly awesome.

Every member of that family is awesome. Huge, lumberjack looking dad collapses into a giggling mess whenever Leslie is around.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Schubalts posted:

Every member of that family is awesome. Huge, lumberjack looking dad collapses into a giggling mess whenever Leslie is around.

I love that. Papa Bear and Mama Wolf in terms of looks. I also love that the brothers are both varying flavors of oni-chan/oni-sama. The cool, quiet, serious one, and the louder more outgoing one. The maids and staff of the house are awesome too with them breaking into tears whenever she compliments their cooking or the clothes and hot cocoa they make for her due to her sheer adorability.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

I can't wait to meet the real Pon-chan

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I feel like a terrible person saying this, but while Contract Princess is good more terrible things have to happen to our protagonist. She's had an easy ride for too long. The people demand more drama.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
no...! good vibes and tall women only!!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Venuz Patrol posted:

no...! good vibes and tall women only!!

This. If drama happens, it should be the Salvatore's breaking poo poo and pummeling people who hosed with them.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Im waiting for the time skip where teenage Leslie is a magical swordswoman kickin' rear end and takin' names.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Y'all ever wonder what it would look like if the Salvatores just decided to go ape poo poo on some baddies?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a smoking crater, presumably.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nrook posted:

I feel like a terrible person saying this, but while Contract Princess is good more terrible things have to happen to our protagonist. She's had an easy ride for too long. The people demand more drama.

It's coming. The Sperados aren't cutting their losses and something's gonna end up happening, leaving Leslie to patch her wounds with darkness.

I can't tell if it's going to be as bad as losing a limb or her just having an eyepatch made of darkness though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RareAcumen posted:

It's coming. The Sperados aren't cutting their losses and something's gonna end up happening, leaving Leslie to patch her wounds with darkness.

I can't tell if it's going to be as bad as losing a limb or her just having an eyepatch made of darkness though.

Please no. Just have it be more fluff with SOME occasional drama and battle, but in the same vein as Duke's Daughter where things work out for our intrepid protagonist and her posse.

Also Helck is boss and if you've not read it get on that ASAP.

Edit: I really need to find that picture of the family with Leslie as a cute bunny flanked by a family of huge wolves. That pic was badass and I loved that they included the facial features like the scars on their faces.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 21, 2020

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Artificer posted:

Y'all ever wonder what it would look like if the Salvatores just decided to go ape poo poo on some baddies?

They've made it sound like the Duchess is capable of fighting an entire war on her own.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schubalts posted:

They've made it sound like the Duchess is capable of fighting an entire war on her own.

She is. She's as strong as Zoro during the Arlong Arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we haven't even seen her use magic yet, i think

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Living as the Tyrant's Older Sister is probably my favorite isekai so far. The female MC is just one of the best protagonists out of all the stories I read.

It's a Korean otome style isekai. The premise is that the MC's sister was writing a story and went to her for advice. MC told her sister that nobody wants to read a boring story where the rude, lovely playboy slowly changes over time to become a better person. gently caress that. Make a new male lead who's a strong hottie, sex it up, and like, whatever, have the new male lead overthrow the old tyrant lead and behead him and his whole family. Make it, like, more trashy and 50 Shades, you know? And of course it worked. It sold like crazy.

So naturally she dies and reincarnates as the older sister of the old lovely tyrant MC who is destined to die, regrets everything she ever said, and becomes a seething rage-ball. It's just so fun to see her operate.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Got a Premium account at J-Novel and repurchased all of Undead Adventurer for the bonus stories. Very much worth it. Some cool stories with SoL bits in them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
All the posts about Salvatore only remind me of this old-rear end isekai

https://www.goodreads.com/series/42273-spearwielder-s-tale

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Chapter is Unavailable

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

doomrider7 posted:

Edit: I really need to find that picture of the family with Leslie as a cute bunny flanked by a family of huge wolves. That pic was badass and I loved that they included the facial features like the scars on their faces.
Don't remember where that was, but all I could think of when I saw that was this:

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Hell yeah, this is the fukkin best

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Vonnie posted:

Chapter is Unavailable

I had to log in to see it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nalin posted:

Living as the Tyrant's Older Sister is probably my favorite isekai so far. The female MC is just one of the best protagonists out of all the stories I read.

It's a Korean otome style isekai. The premise is that the MC's sister was writing a story and went to her for advice. MC told her sister that nobody wants to read a boring story where the rude, lovely playboy slowly changes over time to become a better person. gently caress that. Make a new male lead who's a strong hottie, sex it up, and like, whatever, have the new male lead overthrow the old tyrant lead and behead him and his whole family. Make it, like, more trashy and 50 Shades, you know? And of course it worked. It sold like crazy.

So naturally she dies and reincarnates as the older sister of the old lovely tyrant MC who is destined to die, regrets everything she ever said, and becomes a seething rage-ball. It's just so fun to see her operate.

I do enjoy this, but I kind of wish it didn't collapse into funny faces quite as often (as in, 90% of the time). Like, they lose their impact when they're the new normal, imo.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Dikkfor posted:

Hell yeah, this is the fukkin best

And when she gets the hang of her shadow magic, she'll be the bunny of doom.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Elfface posted:

And when she gets the hang of her shadow magic, she'll be the bunny of doom.

Later they show the exact same picture but zoomed out a bit and you see a dark energy aura enveloping the shadow bears and actually they all look a bit perturbed now

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Don't you need to sacrifice someone for the powers? How did she get hers? I forget.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Artificer posted:

Don't you need to sacrifice someone for the powers? How did she get hers? I forget.

I thought that you were born with the powers (and the silver-haired family members always had the strongest powers) and the sacrifice was to transfer them to someone else.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Yeah, the sacrifice transfers 80% of the silver-haired kid's power to the gold-haired kid.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

I thought that you were born with the powers (and the silver-haired family members always had the strongest powers) and the sacrifice was to transfer them to someone else.

It's this. The blonde children of the Sperado family have weak magic, but are the "image" of the family and are set to be the heirs of the family, while the silver-haired children are born with powerful magic. The sacrifice is to transfer the power of the second child to the first, to keep up appearances of the powerful blonde Sperados.

The trauma of the fire and the spirits of the previous sacrifices kickstarted Leslie's ability to use her innate magic.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fellis posted:

Later they show the exact same picture but zoomed out a bit and you see a dark energy aura enveloping the shadow bears and actually they all look a bit perturbed now

I can't wait until Leslie finally feeds the marquis to the legions of screaming ghosts that live in her shadow. I wonder if the guy's daughter will ever come around to not being evil? Probably not, right? But apparently isekai stories last forever, so we have until the end of time, and sometimes it feels to me like a redemption flag almost goes up. We'll see if she burns to death or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
1. Bad thing happens.
2. Bad thing is resolved.
3. Leslie tries a new type of cookie and goes NOM or some similar cuteness. $LeslieFriendCount++
4. Ominous foreshadowing.
5. Go to 1.

It's not a bad cycle.