Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

it's here

this is exactly it, this is one of my three great childhood mysteries solved and in my hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

From PAGE FOUR

Mister Speaker posted:

Also, there are a few arcade machines that I have been trying to find for a while:
- A mechanical 'soccer' game played by two players facing one another across a field probably about six feet long, with a slope that peaks in the center. Balls are shot across the field by turning a moving crank that rotates two paddles with a gap in the middle of them. If the crank is turned rapidly the ball can be slapped across the field with great velocity and go around or in between the opponent's paddles. I saw this first in a movie theatre arcade in another town, and people used to look at me like I was crazy when I'd describe it to them in vain. But it showed up again at a local sportsbar, vindicating me. I got a couple of games in and swore I'd remember what it was called, but the place closed down and I forgot. The closest thing I can find to it online is FIREBALL but that's not quite it, although it is very similar as I said this one has a hole in the center of each paddle that can be scored through.

I'm currently still on Page 10, hopefully I find some more treasures.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

This is something I remember playing once as a kid in the early 00s at the old Gameworks location underneath the Coca Cola store building.

It was like this giant four player thing where you were playing some kind of police helicopter gunner maybe? You were strapped into a chair and you had a gun on it, and you shot at this massive projection screen to clear out a floor of baddies, and then when you finished with that your chair is lifted up to the next floor and you repeat the process. I think it went up to four 'floors' or so maybe? I remember it being scarily tall, but I was also very young at the time too.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

When the Clone Wars cartoon was on Disney XD, my son was a huge fan, so we watched it a lot. During commercial breaks, they'd have a few seconds of an episode that they'd redone the voiceover to make it totally unrelated to the show.

There was one in particular where Savage Opress is lying on a table, and I think one of the Nightsisters comes to wake him up. In the episode it was dramatic, but in the voiceover it was something like:

Nightsister: Wake up, sweetie, it's time for school! I laid out your clothes, and I made you hotcakes...
<Savage Opress's eyes suddenly open and he quickly reaches up and grabs the Nightsister by the throat>
Nightsister <voice sounds hoarse/choked>: I... made you... hotcakes...

We laughed so hard, and even still giggle about it today, and I'll be damned if I can find it on Youtube.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
so i think earlier in this thread someone posted about a story where there was a boy and his mother and teacher stuck in a giant house? and mother and teacher were the same? that's Ray Bradbury from the October Country compilation.

Pastry of the Year posted:

it's here

this is exactly it, this is one of my three great childhood mysteries solved and in my hands

amaaaaaaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. we should add success stories to the OP.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ishikabibble posted:

This is something I remember playing once as a kid in the early 00s at the old Gameworks location underneath the Coca Cola store building.

It was like this giant four player thing where you were playing some kind of police helicopter gunner maybe? You were strapped into a chair and you had a gun on it, and you shot at this massive projection screen to clear out a floor of baddies, and then when you finished with that your chair is lifted up to the next floor and you repeat the process. I think it went up to four 'floors' or so maybe? I remember it being scarily tall, but I was also very young at the time too.

Some googling suggests this was Vertical Reality and every installation was unique. I remember seeing it at the gameworks in Phoenix as a kid but I never tried it out.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

There's a documentary called Before The League, talking about pro football before the NFL came to be. Ever since I heard about it I've looked for it but no go.

The trailer is still up on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-DNClTtSJQ

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
That's pretty crazy - it's not like it was only shown in 2015 and then lost forever, it was on TV again a few months ago! (e.g. https://www.irontontribune.com/2019/12/10/before-the-league-airs-wednesday-on-spectrum-1/)

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've been trying to track down a hilarious gif/video of fart particles from one apartment building infecting the next one over in the wind which was an honest to God informational gif or video about a case of SARS spreading in Hong Kong and I'm having no luck.

I swear it is real and not something I fever dreamed.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So because this thread is 2 for 2 on helping me give context to old, damaged memories I want to see if it can pull off the hat trick.

As a kid I watched a movie (that I now realize was probably an imported anime) that involved a team being brought together to pilot a giant mech (which is why I assume it's anime). I only remember two details: the first is an introduction to one of the pilots during which he/she is leaping around what seems like a ninja training course and at one point a gun turret pops out of the floor between their feet and they have to destroy it. The other detail is that one of the enemy robots they fight is, like, a giant birdman robot with a metal mohawk that it can launch as a weapon on a chain. At one point the mohawk blade smashes into the control room of the robot.

I remember nothing else about this movie whatsoever, aside from the fact that it came from my local library.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Polaron posted:

So because this thread is 2 for 2 on helping me give context to old, damaged memories I want to see if it can pull off the hat trick.

As a kid I watched a movie (that I now realize was probably an imported anime) that involved a team being brought together to pilot a giant mech (which is why I assume it's anime). I only remember two details: the first is an introduction to one of the pilots during which he/she is leaping around what seems like a ninja training course and at one point a gun turret pops out of the floor between their feet and they have to destroy it. The other detail is that one of the enemy robots they fight is, like, a giant birdman robot with a metal mohawk that it can launch as a weapon on a chain. At one point the mohawk blade smashes into the control room of the robot.

I remember nothing else about this movie whatsoever, aside from the fact that it came from my local library.

Goldorak? If it is I'm surprised, for some odd reason I've only seen it in french.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

stab posted:

Goldorak? If it is I'm surprised, for some odd reason I've only seen it in french.

If they're right that it's a team of pilots, it can't be Grendizer (Goldorak is the name of the French adaption). That one only has one pilot.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Polaron posted:

Voltus 5

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Here's a clip with the chain mohawk weapon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC8whfZmg2U&t=60s

Edit: someone uploaded the entire thing to Youtube, the voice acting is atrocious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_KoRb_F6Ls

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 22, 2020

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
There was an extremely insensitive screenplay I read online like 20 years ago called Lu & Sambo, or: How I learned To Stop Worrying and Love Slavery. It was a piece of ill-conceived satire about two African-American slaves who were put into suspended animation by their mad scientist master, only awaking in the modern day. They then have to navigate modern life. I read the whole goddamn thing and now I can’t find a single trace of it. I swear it was real and not a fever dream. I’d kinda like to read it again to see if it was as bad as I remember. It reminded me of Bamboozled had it been written by an out of touch white guy who had only ever seen black people on television.

I’m pretty sure I got the title right. Obviously this screenplay was never produced.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Holy poo poo, that's it. I found the full film on YouTube and it has the ninja scene as well.Turns out I actually remembered a third thing: them carving that notched V into the giant monster robots. I had just conflated that with Voltron :v:

Edit: The Philippines are making a live action sequel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBl6HicWaPc

Polaron fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 22, 2020

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer

Sushi The Kid posted:

This sumbitch that I just found the name of this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twice_Upon_a_Time_(1983_film)

I have been no poo poo looking for this since I saw it on HBO (which ran once) in like 85 I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqCRgiHHvB4

Enjoy Yer white whale!

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm36406500

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Way back in 2002/2003 I used to read fan scripts of horror or sci fi films, there are two that I remember and would love to see if they were actually good.

One was a Halloween sequel. It was well put together with the twist being that Michael Myers was not actually the killer, it was a journalist in disguise, except later on Michael actually turns up and murders everyone.

The second was a sequel to Return of the Jedi that I think I downloaded from Kazaa or Lime Wire. I've forgotten most of the details but it has a cliffhanger ending where Luke, Leia and Han are all inside an asteroid with the revived Sith cult hurtling towards a sun.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space
I have two games from between 2000 and 2005 that haunt me:

1. A freeware exe. Probably Asian in origin. Giant robots with a pink/purple explosion aesthetic. Kind of like Gundam Seed in appearance, but definitely not a robot game. You fought HUGE numbers of enemies with tons of upgrades available. The Dynasty Warriors Gundam games eventually scratched a similar but not quite same itch.

2. I think this was a Javascript applet. A tower defense sort of game where you controlled the castle in the middle. Standard stuff from that flavor of game except I remember two of the upgrades being unique for that time: A cannon that automatically targets the biggest enemy on screen and a group of wolves (dogs?) that you could release on a timer to hunt down the smaller enemies. All the while you'd be firing increasingly powerful arrows from the central tower. I think it may have been a tie-in for an MMO or RTS game.

I'm playing Immortal Defense because of this thread. Loving it.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This isn't it but in case anyone else remembers these halfway and can't figure it out - one of the best little collections of freeware I've ever come across is ABA Games -

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/

Tumiki Fighters is rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfaiAW9TKC0

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
When I was a kid, there was a short film I rented a few times (between 85 and 88) where toys (like the silly wind-up toys) wanted to find out where they came from. So they looked at their 'MADE IN JAPAN' labels, hopped on a plane, and found out how they were made and packaged.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Red posted:

When I was a kid, there was a short film I rented a few times (between 85 and 88) where toys (like the silly wind-up toys) wanted to find out where they came from. So they looked at their 'MADE IN JAPAN' labels, hopped on a plane, and found out how they were made and packaged.

Pretty sure that’s Blade Runner

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Red posted:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0331711/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Peepers and Zoom! Zoom was the cool one

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Son of a bitch. I brought this up repeatedly in Cinema Discusso's 'what was this?' thread, hoping someone would remember it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Red posted:

Toy Story 2

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Red posted:

Son of a bitch. I brought this up repeatedly in Cinema Discusso's 'what was this?' thread, hoping someone would remember it.

Last i checked nobody knew which short movie I was talking about!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Red posted:

Guess what's on youtube in full?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Holy poo poo. Welcome to repressed memories town, Population: Me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Repressed? Jeeze, it's not that bad

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I think I asked about this in an earlier iteration of this thread, not sure that anyone ever got it...

Basically I think it's a short claymation Nickelodeon Short thing, where a little orange guy lives in the wall behind a kitchen sink, pretty sure the tiles are blue. I don't really remember what happens specifically but those details I am like 95% on. I'm pretty sure he had a one-word name like GRANK or some such.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Brolander posted:

I think I asked about this in an earlier iteration of this thread, not sure that anyone ever got it...

Basically I think it's a short claymation Nickelodeon Short thing, where a little orange guy lives in the wall behind a kitchen sink, pretty sure the tiles are blue. I don't really remember what happens specifically but those details I am like 95% on. I'm pretty sure he had a one-word name like GRANK or some such.

My first thought was Purple and Brown.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

symbolic posted:

My first thought was Purple and Brown.

Thanks for the stab but the animation I'm thinking of would've been from the late 80s to mid 90s. Possibly late 90s but I think this memory is older than that.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Looking for a claymation music. Dark, very similar to Keane’s “Bedshaped” but it’s not the right song. In fact I’m like 90% it’s by Keane but I just can’t find it. Seemed like like a weird dystopian eraserhead style world. Thinking i remembered something like a merry go round and the weird clay dude like, building himself a heart?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Brolander posted:

This makes me think of Teeny little super guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjvt6xqKwV8

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Brolander posted:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about Mr. Bogus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niVSq2H9S6s

quote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Bogus

Mr. Bogus is an animated television series created by Peter Keefe, directed and produced by Tom Burton with Claudia Burton of Zodiac Entertainment, and was only aired in syndication from September 28, 1991 to November 22, 1993. The show ran on Fox Family Channel on August 23, 1998. It is loosely based on the French / Belgian clay animation series of shorts simply titled, Bogus. Each episode is separated into two distinct parts, one using mostly traditional cel-based animation and another using what the show is based on, which are 42 localized versions of the 300 original clay animation shorts. Characters often walked around on a kitchen counter having various adventures with common household items.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Julius CSAR posted:

Looking for a claymation music. Dark, very similar to Keane’s “Bedshaped” but it’s not the right song. In fact I’m like 90% it’s by Keane but I just can’t find it. Seemed like like a weird dystopian eraserhead style world. Thinking i remembered something like a merry go round and the weird clay dude like, building himself a heart?
Was this the one where he opened his chest and there was a light, he uses the light to produce a commercial product, becomes successful, and finds his light has gone out. Far away he sees a glimmer, and it’s the merry go round with children on it flashing in the distance.

I don’t know what it’s called but it’s got sad clay dudes and a merry go round.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Tip posted:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about Mr. Bogus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niVSq2H9S6s

haha hell yeah. mr bogus. i did not remember him ODing on ground coffee and dying, though

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Brolander posted:

haha hell yeah. mr bogus. i did not remember him ODing on ground coffee and dying, though

With that 5% uncertainty I was eagerly waiting for you to say very clearly, that no, it is not that animated series about an orange guy who goes behind bathroom tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Julius CSAR posted:

Hellbent, by Kenna. http://www.mtvbase.com/music/videos/2ugyvk/Hell-Bent