Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

bought the know no fear starter set and decided to paint zombos first lookit these icky boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

hollylolly posted:

Ooh, thanks!

I also painted this little bard, thought I'd already put him in here:

Oh I get it, he's a bard, his magic is sonic

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the 40K thread:

JackMann posted:

Finished my Eliminators! That puts me at 1000 points of Iron Hands painted. Now I have until the 7th of March to get Iron Father Feirros painted, and I'll be done with my builder's league painting.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jetfire posted:

I've got two kinda-old bottles of Liquitex varnish, one gloss and one matte. But both go on glossy by now, basically 100% indistinguishable from each other. The bottle of matte, though, is like 2/3rds solid: is that the matte medium part of the mixture or something? Do I need a new bottle of matte or is there some way to revive this stuff?

try putting an agitator ball in there (basically a stainless steal bb) and shake the hell out of it for a while, if it's still 2/3 solid then get a new bottle

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
The same thing happened to my bottle of Liquitex matte varnish recently. I got what looked like everything back into solution, but it was still drying satin.

Anyway, last week I started using Dullcote and it fixed a bunch of the models that the old Liquitex wrecked.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

KING OV HELL posted:

OMG this is raw. Deep see diving dwarves are :discourse:

Excellent job

Cheers! I'm having a good time with this model. Progress update!

I'll do the front endrin, the cannon and a few bits and bobs tomorrow hopefully. Super happy with how this is coming out.

E: pissed off though. I snipped off a small pipe section on that middle thing. It didn't seem like it was fitting and looked like an injection gate... Easy to fix but annoying when I noticed it after already putting glue on the model.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
(xposting from scale models)

so my badger patriot crapped out--unscrewing a couple of the bits for cleaning, i somehow managed to strip some pretty critical threads. i definitely need to replace it, but was wondering if there are any other options out there. despite trying to take intense care of it, it only took a little over a year for it to start sputtering back and threads to start getting stripped. anyone have recs for any other brands/models? did i just get a junk unit?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

so my badger patriot crapped out--unscrewing a couple of the bits for cleaning, i somehow managed to strip some pretty critical threads. i definitely need to replace it, but was wondering if there are any other options out there. despite trying to take intense care of it, it only took a little over a year for it to start sputtering back and threads to start getting stripped. anyone have recs for any other brands/models? did i just get a junk unit?

Harder and Steenbeck Evolution.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Have you gotten in touch with Badger for replacement pieces? They have a life time warranty on their airbushes I think.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Have you gotten in touch with Badger for replacement pieces? They have a life time warranty on their airbushes I think.

I'm not sure a lifetime warranty covers damaging it yourself, but it's worth a try.

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

them some manky rear end bones

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Where is that extremely chill dwarf from, I'm gonna have to get myself one of those.

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Where is that extremely chill dwarf from, I'm gonna have to get myself one of those.

I got him at warhammer world in nottingham, uk.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293434969840?var=0

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Painted a few things.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Booley posted:

I'm not sure a lifetime warranty covers damaging it yourself, but it's worth a try.

It may not help depending on what you stripped, but pretty much every individual part of that airbrush can be ordered individually for cheap.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Does anybody know the differences between the various Citadel Metallic Paints? I know this must sound like a dumb question, but I have some trouble in distinguishing them.

With Silver there's Leadbelcher (the standard 'gunmetal' base color), but now there's Grey Knights Steel, Iron Warriors, and Iron Hands Steel. Grey Knights Steel I know has the blue tint, but I don't know what shades Iron Warriors and Iron Hands Steel have for sure (Iron Hands looks kind of brown, Iron Warriors looks like black metal). With the Layer Paints, there's Stormhost Silver, Runefang Steel, and Ironbreaker (which in that order, seem to go from lightest to darkest)

With Gold there's Retributor Armor and Balthasar Gold, but I recall seeing Balthasar Gold as being intended to obtain more of a bronze color from the Citadel Paint App. Out of the layer paints, Gehenna Gold (from the swatches on GW's site) seems to have warm, reddish tone to it, while Auric Armor is a bright yellow, and Liberator Gold is more de-saturated.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

We’re I in the market for some Raphael brushes, is there a best choice to order from? Dick Blick seems like the obvious choice, but I’d hate to miss a better deal.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there an online shop in the EU that sells Stynylrez and Liquitex inks? Amazon doesn't seem to have either, and I'm wary of eBay when it comes to paints.

E: Correction, Amazon does have Liquitex, but I can't find Stynylrez primers.

Furism fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 20, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i can’t imagine liquitex inks are that hard to come by, my local art store stocks them and i live in a small irish city

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Furism posted:

Is there an online shop in the EU that sells Stynylrez and Liquitex inks? Amazon doesn't seem to have either, and I'm wary of eBay when it comes to paints.

Search Amazon for Badger primer, and you'll see the Stynylrez stuff.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm working on my first Chaos Marine and I'm not content with what I have so far. I wanted to go for a really bright blue so I put a basecoat of VGC Magic Blue, shaded with Agrax Earthshade for some definition, then most of the surface is repainted with the Magic Blue and then highlighted with VGC Electric Blue. The result is a good looking model imo but I think I need to go brighter because it looks too much like the Thousand Sons motif with bronze trim and when I've tried steel trim it looks too much like the Alpha Legion. I've tinted the bronze a couple times with AP Red Tone to try to make the trim look more coppery than bronze and it helps a bit but it still looks too much like Thousand Sons. I want my bad boys to be unique, so I think maybe I should push the blue into more of an icy paler blue but I'm not sure what color would be best to buy.

The legs and arm are painted steel with some red tone over them and it just looks messy, the shoulders are Balthasar Gold washed with Agrax Earthshade, then highlighted with VGC Bright Bronze and washed with the AP red tone. I prefer this to the steel but it still looks too much like the Thousand Sons.

This pic isn't great and the bronze is slightly redder irl. I'm actually really pleased with the Magic Blue blended up to Electric Blue like I said before it's just not unique enough. Any suggestions on paints to try out or maybe different techniques would be welcome.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Booley posted:

Painted a few things.

Incredible as usual. Where are the weapons from?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Incredible as usual. Where are the weapons from?

It's the carab culln leviathan.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Furism posted:

its rebranded i believe to either ammo one shot primer or ultimate modeling products primer in the uk

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

its rebranded i believe to either ammo one shot primer or ultimate modeling products primer in the uk

If you mean the Badger stuff it really is not.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TTerrible posted:

If you mean the Badger stuff it really is not.

I've seen a few reviews say its directly relabelled and some retailers name the product ultimate primer/stynylrez but maybe thats changed in the past year or two.

Either way I've had really good results with UMP especially compared to vallejo :shrug:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've honestly never even seen the two primers you mention in a store. Where are you seeing it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Got my IKEA display case setup for my miniatures. Just need to mount it to the wall, and then get more shelves for it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
What did you get? I've been looking for something to put mine in.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is this base way too much for the model. I flip between liking it a lot and hating it. It's a realm of death wasteland

E: my other idea is basically find a guide to make WW1 looking terrain and stick fantasy rubble into the mud

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 21, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Toebone posted:

What did you get? I've been looking for something to put mine in.

:hellyeah:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

JBP posted:

Is this base way too much for the model. I flip between liking it a lot and hating it. It's a realm of death wasteland

E: my other idea is basically find a guide to make WW1 looking terrain and stick fantasy rubble into the mud

How did you paint your base?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Verisimilidude posted:

How did you paint your base?

Airbrushed on three purples and pink over Vallejo lava. Was too bright so I wound it back with black wash. It's only half done but I'm second guessing it.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

JBP posted:

Airbrushed on three purples and pink over Vallejo lava. Was too bright so I wound it back with black wash. It's only half done but I'm second guessing it.

The purple works great with the general patina of the boat and green glow. I'd keep going on the base.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JBP posted:

it rules, don't change a thing

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm working on my first Chaos Marine ... but it still looks too much like Thousand Sons. I want my bad boys to be unique, so I think maybe I should push the blue into more of an icy paler
i think any blue that leans to the aqua/green side will always evoke Sons, especially with a metallic trim

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Thank you goons. You've prevented a JBP model meltdown going back and ruining the vision for no reason. I've looked at it long and hard and it owns. I'm happy.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Funzo posted:

Search Amazon for Badger primer, and you'll see the Stynylrez stuff.

Checked the German, French and British Amazon and none of them seem to have it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:confused: