Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Depends on ancestry, far as I can tell. The various cultures that spent a lot of time in places good for herding started keeping lactose tolerance into adulthood. Other cultures lose lactose tolerance like you're supposed to. It's an adaptation. Various Germanic peoples eat piles and piles of cheese. There are herding cultures in other places like the Maasai, Mongols, and various other Asian cultures whose names escape me right now.

I think lactose tolerance is most common among European people. Most of Europe went whole hog on keeping herds of dairy cows around as a whole while on other continents it was something specific to only a few peoples.

I for one don't drink a ton of milk but do sometimes. I can positively murder a cheese supply, though. I eat so god drat much cheese.

I know plenty of non-lactose intolerant adults who put milk in their cereal or coffee, but seeing someone just drink a glass of milk is weird. I never see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Depends on ancestry, far as I can tell. The various cultures that spent a lot of time in places good for herding started keeping lactose tolerance into adulthood. Other cultures lose lactose tolerance like you're supposed to. It's an adaptation. Various Germanic peoples eat piles and piles of cheese. There are herding cultures in other places like the Maasai, Mongols, and various other Asian cultures whose names escape me right now.

I think lactose tolerance is most common among European people. Most of Europe went whole hog on keeping herds of dairy cows around as a whole while on other continents it was something specific to only a few peoples.

I for one don't drink a ton of milk but do sometimes. I can positively murder a cheese supply, though. I eat so god drat much cheese.

It’s important to note that some of those populations, like the Mongolians, still have high rates of lactose intolerance because they processed the milk in ways that heavily reduced the lactose, like fermenting horse milk into kumis. They just found ways to use milk without ever needing to introduce lactose tolerance into the population at large.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lactase persistence also spreads pretty fast once it's introduced into a population that really benefits from it. It's known to have developed I think six times essentially through different mutations to the MCM6 gene, and they all are dominant over lactose intolerance in adulthood. You only need one copy of the mutation, to have a degree of lactase persistence suitable to digesting most dairy products.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's known to have developed I think six times essentially through different mutations to the MCM6 gene, and they all are dominant over lactose intolerance in adulthood.

Meanwhile, MCM5 gave rise to tolerance of Prairie School architecture.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

Lucky. I'm currently doing the opposite. I drank milk like it was going out of style until I hit about 30 or so. Then all the sudden drinking milk gives me the bubble guts, but I can still eat cheese, yogurt and whatever else with no problems at all. I'd think that if I were lactose intolerant it would be with any milk product, but it is literally only milk itself. It's weird to me that that started in my 30's.

Most cheeses and yoghurts are cultured, i.e. a useful microorganism does most of the work of turning the milk/cream into the finished product. Lactose is good food for bacteria (that's what happens with lactose intolerance: if you can't process it in the small intestine, it passes into the large intestine, where your intestinal microbes use it to go on a massive bender instead), so the bacterial culture eats the lactose and excretes delicious flavour. Since the sensitivity is to lactose specifically, not casein or other milk components, this makes it comparatively safe to eat.

Note that this doesn't apply to uncultured cheeses (paneer, haloumi) or yoghurts (some mass-produced yoghurts are made with gelling/flavouring agents rather than bacterial cultures and still have all their lactose) -- those are just as unsafe as drinking the milk straight.

Cream also has less lactose than the milk it's made from, since it has proportionally more fat (which does not contain lactose). Butter has much less, for the same reason.

ToxicFrog has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Feb 20, 2020

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Suspect Bucket posted:

Meanwhile, MCM5 gave rise to tolerance of Prairie School architecture.

Not to be confused with MC5, which confers jam intolerance

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I know plenty of non-lactose intolerant adults who put milk in their cereal or coffee, but seeing someone just drink a glass of milk is weird. I never see that.

So what do people do after they finish the cereal, throw the milk away?

Or if you're dunking cookies in milk, do you just dump the milk?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Trabant posted:

So what do people do after they finish the cereal, throw the milk away?

OK what the gently caress kind of milk amateur are you if you have any milk left over from cereal? Jesus you're giving me the vapours here!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah you don’t drown it in milk, you put in just enough so there’s none left

Nowadays I put cereal in Greek yogurt, it’s better anyway

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Making the end of an episode and the end of your handful of sunflower seeds time up so you can finally go to sleep is a Sisyphean task and I'll hear nobody demean any food synchronisation related struggle

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah you don’t drown it in milk, you put in just enough so there’s none left

Well no, of course you don't drown it, the cereal must retain some crisp. But you'll have something left over, probably.

I suppose the cookie-dunking part of the question is the better example. Unless you're doing the dunking in a thimble or something.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ToxicFrog posted:

Most cheeses and yoghurts are cultured, i.e. a useful microorganism does most of the work of turning the milk/cream into the finished product. Lactose is good food for bacteria (that's what happens with lactose intolerance: if you can't process it in the small intestine, it passes into the large intestine, where your intestinal microbes use it to go on a massive bender instead), so the bacterial culture eats the lactose and excretes delicious flavour. Since the sensitivity is to lactose specifically, not casein or other milk components, this makes it comparatively safe to eat.

Note that this doesn't apply to uncultured cheeses (paneer, haloumi) or yoghurts (some mass-produced yoghurts are made with gelling/flavouring agents rather than bacterial cultures and still have all their lactose) -- those are just as unsafe as drinking the milk straight.

Cream also has less lactose than the milk it's made from, since it has proportionally more fat (which does not contain lactose). Butter has much less, for the same reason.

The easy way to remember it is that because of genetic lactase persistence, white people did not need to develop a culture.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Back when I was a kid and would eat several bowls of cereal throughout the day, drinking the remaining milk was always the best part. Especially after honey cereal or nougat crisps!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ToxicFrog posted:

it passes into the large intestine, where your intestinal microbes use it to go on a massive bender instead), so the bacterial culture eats the lactose and excretes delicious flavour.

So lactose intolerance is a flavor enema

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Trabant posted:

Or if you're dunking cookies in milk, do you just dump the milk?

You dunk biscuits in tea you heathen.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Helith posted:

You dunk biscuits in tea you heathen.

Garbage hard British biscuits, sure. But if you tell me you dunk chocolate chip cookies in tea... wtf man?

And this is from someone with a crippling addiction to looseleaf tea.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Trabant posted:

Garbage hard British biscuits, sure. But if you tell me you dunk chocolate chip cookies in tea... wtf man?

And this is from someone with a crippling addiction to looseleaf tea.

Why would you dunk choc chip cookies when Tim Tams exist?
Just do a Tim Tam slam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfmLdRcq1FE

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
historical fun fact: circa 1776CE, the english ceased to speak english.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

So lactose intolerance is a flavor enema

The metabolic byproducts are mostly gas and various compounds that isnt taken up by or degraded in the gut, thus worsening your intestinal water retention which gives you the farts and runny shits.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Only the religious exiles and criminals they sent to colonize other lands. They instead started to develop pidgins known as "American" and "Australian". There's still a semi-isolated island where they speak proper "English", thankfully for those who are cultural and lingual purists it helpfully re-isolated itself recently.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Linguists can actually date the changes in English pronunciation by comparing the dialects of the English colonies and the dates of emigration. They can tell that the shift in pronuncing the long a (the bath trap split) in southern England was gradual because it's only present in some Australian English words compared to southern English, and it's in more words in New Zealand English, as NZ was colonised/invaded later.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Trabant posted:

Hell yes. All biscuits get dunked in tea. If you can't dunk it, it's not a good biscuit

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Hell yes. All biscuits get dunked in tea. If you can't dunk it, it's not a good biscuit

I feel like you're missing the point. A cookie is not a biscuit, so what you dunk your biscuits in is irrelevant for the discussion.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Feb 21, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yum, wouldn't dunk in tea, because it's slathered in gravy or jam or is serving as bread for a decadent breakfast sandwich, and besides I drink coffee like an adult

?????????? I guess tea tastes better than these things so combine two mediocre flavours for a sad, soggy snack

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My "Of course my biscuits are digestive" t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

yum, wouldn't dunk in tea, because it's slathered in gravy or jam or is serving as bread for a decadent breakfast sandwich, and besides I drink coffee like an adult

?????????? I guess tea tastes better than these things so combine two mediocre flavours for a sad, soggy snack

Soggy biscuits are an old British tradition.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

nonathlon posted:

Allegedly, when the first platypus was captured, killed and sent back to the museum in England, the response was something along the lines of "haha guys, you got us good, for a while we thought it was real".

I can corroborate this, and add the pleasing extra detail that they added "...look, you can even see the stitching around the beak."

It wasn't until live specimens were brought back to England that serious biologists believed in such a drat silly thing.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

chitoryu12 posted:

Soggy biscuits are an old British tradition.

there's no education like public education

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

actually pretty accurate, rural dialects in eastern North America preserve pre-1776 English much more authentically than anything being spoken in the British Isles today. we continued speaking proper English while the perfidious Brits descended into weird gibberish.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Straight White Shark posted:

actually pretty accurate, rural dialects in eastern North America preserve pre-1776 English much more authentically than anything being spoken in the British Isles today. we continued speaking proper English while the perfidious Brits descended into weird gibberish.

On the other end of the spectrum you get English spoken in areas where the population is a mish mash of random cultures all smooshed together that, when they were deciding which languages to borrow from, answered "yes" and created a crazy dialect.

I think those are neat but my opinion is probably biased by the fact that I speak one. It's great to lay it on thick for people who are from out of state. There are a lot of people that disagree with me but I think that Pittsburghese in particular is fantastic.

Yinz're in Stiller country. Freakin' jagoffs. Betchyinz dun e'n know what a hoagie is.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Much of the tunnels are still in use. Bazalgate displayed a foresight that astounds me as someone who has examined the current state of American infrastructure politics. From the UK’s Institution of Civil Engineers:

Seems pretty rude to consider it a scandal then

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The old timey pirate accent is a result of Robert Newton playing up his own West Country accent when playing Long John Silver in 1950.

Though that accent is likely at least somewhat historically accurate since Edward "Blackbeard" Teach was from Bristol and Sir Francis Drake was from Devon. Though we don't really know how either of them sounded since the bastards had the audacity of living before audio recordings were invented (and also a century apart). There are some records about Drake having a very thick accent.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Feb 21, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hope that we can all that there is one dude who invented modern english and that he talked like one of us, an american https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s&t=195s

It's weird because french is the other way, the québécois are incomprehensible idiots but even the weirdest accents in France sound good and decent

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
what the gently caress that is not an american accent

that is a british accent that keeps pigs and makes cider

e: far closer to this than anything american https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cun-LZvOTdw

Ichabod Sexbeast has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Feb 22, 2020

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Alhazred posted:

My "Of course my biscuits are digestive" t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

This is a quality humor presentation

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Long term residents of Antarctica are developing their own accent. https://youtu.be/uHKGErnN9W8

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Suspect Bucket posted:

Long term residents of Antarctica are developing their own accent. https://youtu.be/uHKGErnN9W8

thats fascinating and really cool if true, but also the narrator has weirdly elongated vowels

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

What makes the translations so funny? Are they just comically inaccurate?

Here’s some interesting excerpts from the autobiography of Usama ibn-Munqidh, a 12th century Syrian nobleman. The first is him recounting a story told by a Middle-Eastern Christian physician named Thabit who was called to administer to some patients in modern-day Lebanon, and was unimpressed by a European physician who was hired for the same task.

That poor woman...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That reminds me of the antarctic scientist that performed a self-appendectomy to save his own life. https://www.mdlinx.com/internal-medicine/article/1633