Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So, if this is as much as a Plato's Allegory of the Cave reference as it seems to be then I suppose Terezi is about to achieve enlightenment, I hope this comes in the form of her ruining both Rose and Dirk's plans to create a species wide forever war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
Terezi exited the scene in order to avoid Dirk's narrative based omniscience, didn't she?
Dirk is gonna get gigawrecked by underestimating Terezi.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That cold little "More or less." slew me.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Alitur posted:

Terezi exited the scene in order to avoid Dirk's narrative based omniscience, didn't she?
Dirk is gonna get gigawrecked by underestimating Terezi.

this is perfectly set up imo, since Dirk is guaranteed to be distracted by:
-the philosophizing and alchemizing bullshit he craves, and,
-being unable to fight the urge to show terezi how not mad he is by ignoring her

he knows this about himself, of course, but can't help but to act as he is anyway- and having Dirk be the one to identify and outline this fact would be all the sweeter if him being him is what ends up letting Terezi gently caress his plans to all hell

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Was anybody here around when the suggestion box was open for the planet's name?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
No, was there one? I was sure I saw the upd8 almost immediately.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

this is perfectly set up imo, since Dirk is guaranteed to be distracted by:
-the philosophizing and alchemizing bullshit he craves, and,
-being unable to fight the urge to show terezi how not mad he is by ignoring her

he knows this about himself, of course, but can't help but to act as he is anyway- and having Dirk be the one to identify and outline this fact would be all the sweeter if him being him is what ends up letting Terezi gently caress his plans to all hell
The whole aside about Ultimate Selves and knowing your flaws but doing them anyway because that’s You seems to expose the whole concept as an excuse to stagnate and never change. Like the idea of you as a finite thing that can only take their life within a certain range; it seems like something a person with as many issues as Dirk would latch onto in lieu of just sorting their poo poo out.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Lmao at people speculating on the endgame when we are still in the "you can see me, right? Tell me what's wrong with this picture" phase of the story

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Humanimals???????????

https://twitter.com/remjie_malham/status/1229034037328719872

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

bullshit that none of the post-canon content has mentioned musclebeasts even ONCE. flagrant disregard for alternian fine art culture + zoology.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
What's the significance of the planet name

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Remember that Terezi has John's corpse. Rose is presumably going to clone/alter her half-dead body -- which would be why Dirk brought it along, instead of obliterating it a la Dave -- and Terezi conveniently has both a troll source and a human source.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

GunnerJ posted:

I'm assuming it's just Delta (as in D/4 as in Earth D) + Detritus, so like, an Earth D where they're recycling biological matter?

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Hedging a guess that it's a portmanteau of detritus (waste, gravel, debris) and delta (4th Greek letter, usually signifies change). The second bit I wasn't as sure about until Rose said "quadruply so," so I guess she's making a joke about not calling it Earth D.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GunnerJ posted:

Four. It's a pretentious way of saying "Earth 4".

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Anyone thinking about these two being Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido? Colour scheme sorta matches, not a two person session, but close.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

WilliamAnderson posted:

Anyone thinking about these two being Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido? Colour scheme sorta matches, not a two person session, but close.

Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaliedo were carapacians iirc

Spellman
May 31, 2011

There is NO point to centaur butlers

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The new Pesterquest chapter is out. Jake English is a sad boy with complex problems and both endings are downers. Yaaaay....

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The new Pesterquest chapter is out. Jake English is a sad boy with complex problems and both endings are downers. Yaaaay....

Ehhh, I wouldn't really call the good ending a downer, per say? Sure, Mspar's "solve traumatized teenz deep seated psychological issues in 40 minutes or less" routine just crashed and burned in the face of the human brick wall known as Jake English, but I do think that spending some time with Jade will probably do him some good in the long run.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Seems like Dirk's drawing some pretty hasty conclusions about intelligent design being the necessary origin point for Sburb. Why couldn't Skaia be a naturally occurring system? All of physics is naturally occurring, and it's heinously complex.

Like, fruit evolved to be bright and sweet and hand-held so that primates would eat it. Why couldn't a universe creation mechanism evolve to look like a game so that sapient species would play it?

I dunno. Right now it feels like...Dirk is being written as if he's very smart, but he isn't saying things that a very smart person would say. Lampshaded references to Philosophy 101 problems come off as extremely limp considering how dense with more complicated allusions Homestuck's been traditionally. "timaeusTestified" on its own is a deeper cut than the Ship of Theseus or the trolley problem, and given Dirk's prior characterisation, I'd think he'd find this baby stuff pretty tiresome.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I guess Terezi's right, though? Because this conversation absolutely comes off as two philosophy undergrads talking about nothing and demonstrating their knowledge of simple theories by going like, "ah, that reminds me of the trolley problem, a thought experiment with which I'm quite familiar!".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Art's pretty though. Rosebot looks cool.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think it's pretty intentional that Dirk's philosophy is empty bullshit driven by his obsession with being the most important and wise protagonist.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sure, but it used to be at least advanced-level bullshit. Now he just comes off as...sort of dumb?

Meandering screeds about the nature of meaning are what I'd expect from Dirk. This is less well delivered than usual though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, Rose comes off as roughly as stupid, which I'm sure can't be intentional. I guess she gets an out for being mind controlled, but her contributions to the conversation are pretty watery.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i have not cared or paid attention to anything homestuck-related in a long while but Star Fetchers is a bizarre free indie game prologue that dropped last month and gave me extremely strong "dave strider swordfighting on a rooftop" vibes for its 45-minute duration, if anyone is interested

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Sure, but it used to be at least advanced-level bullshit. Now he just comes off as...sort of dumb?

Meandering screeds about the nature of meaning are what I'd expect from Dirk. This is less well delivered than usual though.

In the most recent podcast, Aysha (current ringleader of the HS^2 circus) described this chapter (and Terezi leaving the cave specifically) as "the blind leading the dumb". I think she's aware that Dirk is coming off as hollow here

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I guess Terezi's right, though? Because this conversation absolutely comes off as two philosophy undergrads talking about nothing and demonstrating their knowledge of simple theories by going like, "ah, that reminds me of the trolley problem, a thought experiment with which I'm quite familiar!".

i mean both rose and dirk are very upfront in the epilogues that theyve never actually read any of the philosophy they reference beyond wikipedia articles

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Dirk is sharpened by conflict and uncertainty, and he's spent the last few years eliminating both from his life. Terezi is bored to tears of him, Rose is a complicated and glorified puppet. He loves puppets. Even this mini-session conflict that he and Rose are ginning up is like playing a single-player video game against an AI that he himself programmed.

I'm pretty sure Terezi sees this, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she fucks everything up for him

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

Dirk is sharpened by conflict and uncertainty, and he's spent the last few years eliminating both from his life. Terezi is bored to tears of him, Rose is a complicated and glorified puppet. He loves puppets. Even this mini-session conflict that he and Rose are ginning up is like playing a single-player video game against an AI that he himself programmed.

I'm pretty sure Terezi sees this, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she fucks everything up for him

scalemates

scalemates everywhere

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, Rose’s Seer powers have progressed to the point of uselessness. She literally doesn’t know who she is or who she’s talking to.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

i think a big theme of homestuck is, 'isolation destroys people, community heals them'

Spellman
May 31, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

i mean both rose and dirk are very upfront in the epilogues that theyve never actually read any of the philosophy they reference beyond wikipedia articles

Now that's meta

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Android Blues posted:

When you remember that Dirk's true self also includes Arquiusprite it makes sense

Peanut Butler posted:

i think a big theme of homestuck is, 'isolation destroys people, community heals them'

This is why the carapace people are all perfect beings free from sin

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 21, 2020

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Peanut Butler posted:

Look who's helping build a community to heal :cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B85ArZlgnFX

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Chapter 5 is live and that ain't no jive

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Terezi really does not sound much like Terezi on the first page at least.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

There is only one page. And it's a doozy. And I really hate Dirk.

I miss Rose. And I eagerly await her return.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SO MUCH.

There's one bit keep reading and being unable to parse.

ROSE: You understand this bargain.

ROSE: At least, you should. It's one that was made to leave you alone.

What bargain? With whom?