Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

wonder how much george clooney and brad pit made off with this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Soricidus posted:

Would you prefer they did it in an even worse language like matlab or R? Or maybe in fortran like the good old days?

I'd argue for allowing programmers to do their job, domain experts to do theirs and people talk to each other, but my experiences tell me I'm expecting too much.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 19, 2020

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know, I'm doing fine in Windows world without containers and without this nonsense, doing state of the art tech I'm not going to get into in order to not doxx myself.

One of the things I do is occasionally get in touch with a library developer and tell them I need a binary that supports a later compiler than they have in their sample I can link to, or else I can't evaluate their product. And they do it! Another thing I do is realize that a library has advanced in a breaking way since we last used it, but I need the latest version to support something else, so guess what? I update our support to the latest version. It takes some time, but it's not hard to do! But you have to do it regularly, or you accumulate technical debt, and block yourself off from future features of important pieces of hardware, and no amount of containerization is going to save you from that.

In the windows world it is normal for applications to ship all of their shared libraries (aka DLLs) with the application and not rely on anything installed system-wide other than what's provided by Microsoft in the base OS install. Docker is often used to accomplish the same thing with software not written with that distribution method in mind.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tei posted:

One of the problems of software is every tool created to make things easier allow worse people to write worse code.

Python enable science and math types to write code, but these people have not concept of usability, portability, maintainability, abstraction leaks, ...

.. so they write 20 lines long scripts that need a entire virtual OS around them to even run.

There are people who know this is a problem, and they're working on training grad students to get better. The problem is that there's only so much time in grad school, and getting to the point where you can write a dissertation takes up most of it. As a result, we might be able to improve the situation, but there are limits on how much better it might get.

On the other hand, with Python, you're no longer trying to compile a terrible programmer's C, C++ or Fortran code. It is progress in that sense.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

I actually like matlab for the way it (i) doesn’t change core functionality every time one of the devs has a meltdown and (ii) warns you at least two versions beforehand on the rare occasions when it does

Matlab has core functionality changes all the drat time, like way way more often than other mainstream programming languages. And they don't always document these changes, the user community has to figure out what happened sometimes

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
horror a colleague found: libstdc++ uses "long double" as part of the hash map implementation, because who doesn't love a little extra x87 to spice things up now and then

https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/commit/e25fc78ff53a6e17c4c8ea4055a110f8b306c614

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

horror a colleague found: libstdc++ uses "long double" as part of the hash map implementation, because who doesn't love a little extra x87 to spice things up now and then

https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/commit/e25fc78ff53a6e17c4c8ea4055a110f8b306c614

The main horror here is the GNU changelog style. Which includes all the stuff I can see from the diff anyway
(or blame), but not the thing I would want to see: why in the world is that the right thing to do?

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

There are people who know this is a problem, and they're working on training grad students to get better. The problem is that there's only so much time in grad school, and getting to the point where you can write a dissertation takes up most of it. As a result, we might be able to improve the situation, but there are limits on how much better it might get.

On the other hand, with Python, you're no longer trying to compile a terrible programmer's C, C++ or Fortran code. It is progress in that sense.

Meanwhile, our management chain is telling us not to bother with any other language but Python, because that's what the clients are asking. (context: cpu architecture R&D)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ultrafilter posted:

Hahahahahahaaa………no.

:negative:

at least they are mostly no longer using f77 in their python modules

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Beef posted:

Meanwhile, our management chain is telling us not to bother with any other language but Python, because that's what the clients are asking. (context: cpu architecture R&D)

Whoa.

I think you're supposed to counter with node.js now. Something something closer to the metal.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

xtal posted:

Picture this, but if all of the correct solutions actually came out in the 1960s, and it's been going downhill and in circles since then. The people old and wise enough to realize it are dealing with some resentment over their Cassandra complex.

could you be a little more obtuse in the future, please. we can't have the children who "program" (if you can even call it programming nowadays!) learning about the mysterious computational wizardry invented in the 60s and then hidden forever

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know, I'm doing fine in Windows world without containers and without this nonsense, doing state of the art tech I'm not going to get into in order to not doxx myself.

One of the things I do is occasionally get in touch with a library developer and tell them I need a binary that supports a later compiler than they have in their sample I can link to, or else I can't evaluate their product. And they do it! Another thing I do is realize that a library has advanced in a breaking way since we last used it, but I need the latest version to support something else, so guess what? I update our support to the latest version. It takes some time, but it's not hard to do! But you have to do it regularly, or you accumulate technical debt, and block yourself off from future features of important pieces of hardware, and no amount of containerization is going to save you from that.

grats, i guess?

i've written web stuff on windows (hosted in iis), and i would have killed to have an isolated, immutable environment like a container

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'd want to kill if I had to work with IIS again tbh.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

redleader posted:

grats, i guess?

i've written web stuff on windows (hosted in iis), and i would have killed to have an isolated, immutable environment like a container

90% of the people talking up containers seem to be doing web stuff. I think that says more about web stuff than about what good programming practices are.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

90% of the people talking up containers seem to be doing web stuff. I think that says more about web stuff than about what good programming practices are.

It's because most new software has a web UI

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, deploying images to cloud hosts is pretty much a motivating use case.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do you find that things you don't know about scare you, generally?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Probably 90% of the people here happen to be web developers anyway

For what it's worth, I'm not a web developer. Basically anyone working in AI is encouraged to use (and likely uses) containers, and containers have gained a lot of traction in supercomputing because that space has always had such insanely disparate environments. It's a big part of new HPC systems

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Containers are excellent for setting up a development environment as well.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sagacity posted:

Do you find that things you don't know about scare you, generally?

I wear a lot of hats in my workplace, and one of them is integrating new technologies into our codebase, from processor intrinsics to new libraries and APIs and interesting uses of C++ templates, so no, things I don't know don't scare me.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

QuarkJets posted:

Probably 90% of the people here happen to be web developers anyway

Web developers? In the coding horrors thread?!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I mean as a web developer I'm fully on board with "Web development was a mistake" but only as a subset of "Computers were a mistake"

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wear a lot of hats in my workplace, and one of them is integrating new technologies into our codebase, from processor intrinsics to new libraries and APIs and interesting uses of C++ templates, so no, things I don't know don't scare me.
Then maybe don't dismiss them out of hand :)

Or, alternatively:
"90% of the people talking up C++ templates seem to be doing embedded stuff. I think that says more about embedded stuff than about what good programming practices are."

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Hol' up. If you're talking embedded, I think you mean m4 templates to generate preprocessor macros for C.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have lots of ideas how to make the world worse.

One of my ideas is this:

Every complex problem can be solved with a single program written in a language created for the type of problems this complex language is written for.

Instead of programmers writting programs, I would have programmers writting programming languages for the type of problem they are tryiing to solve.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 21, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tei posted:

I have lots of ideas how to make the world worse.

One of my ideas is this:

Every complex problem can be solved with a single program written in a language created for the type of problems this complex language is written for.

Instead of programming writting programs, I would have programmers writting programming languages for the type of problem they are tryiing to solve.

Stop stealing ideas from academia.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

NtotheTC posted:

I mean as a web developer I'm fully on board with "Web development was a mistake" but only as a subset of "Computers were a mistake"

i'm glad this is catching on

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Computers were a forgivable mistake. Webdev was criminal negligence

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This thread has commited sins and need to be punished.

Heres a NoSQL database

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUMPS

---

Post about containers I saw on twitter
https://twitter.com/b0rk/status/1230606332681691136

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 21, 2020

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

Computers were a forgivable mistake. Webdev was criminal negligence

unforgivable, imo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hi there don't mind me just naming my software after a disfiguring illness that nobody wants

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Hi there don't mind me just naming my software after a disfiguring illness that nobody wants

well, you can't say they didn't name the language appropriately tho

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

QuarkJets posted:

fun fact, the illness was named after the software

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Other languages named after undesirable things, things I don't want near me or inflicted upon my person: Rust, CPusPus, Python, Haxe, Smalltalk

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Sagacity posted:

Or, alternatively:
"90% of the people talking up C++ templates seem to be doing embedded stuff. I think that says more about embedded stuff than about what good programming practices are."

1 sentence to tell people you have no idea what you are talking about :v: (embedded dev culture is still very strongly against even using C++, much less templates)

But seriously, can we move past containers now? Let's get some real coding horrors in this thread.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Famous comedian finds Mac bug. Can anyone here reproduce?

https://twitter.com/daraobriain/status/1230106421582274567

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Xarn posted:

But seriously, can we move past containers now? Let's get some real coding horrors in this thread.

The distribution of a 2mb application in a 2gb container is not coding horror enough for you?

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

Ola posted:

Famous comedian finds Mac bug. Can anyone here reproduce?

https://twitter.com/daraobriain/status/1230106421582274567

Yeah I just did it. I saved a file named 'TEst' to my desktop and when I renamed it by clicking on the file name in the window, Word asked for permission to access my Desktop, so I gave it. It then asked if I wanted to replace the file named 'Test' so of course I clicked yes. The file disappeared and now I can't save the file at all even though Word seems to imply it's working. When clicking on the file name in the window, I can't even choose a location on my hard disk to move it to, just OneDrive. I don't think this is a bug though.

Also if you make a change then mash command + s a whole bunch Word will tell you it can't save a file that is used by another process and bring up the Save As dialogue and now I can put the file back on my desktop.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Tei posted:

Instead of programmers writting programs, I would have programmers writting programming languages for the type of problem they are tryiing to solve.

That is, in fact, what most software already is: an interpreter for the code that happens to be stored in a database, or sometimes files.

Volguus posted:

The distribution of a 2mb application in a 2gb container is not coding horror enough for you?

If the "2MB application" won't work without the other 1.98GB of data, it's actually a 2GB application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

That is, in fact, what most software already is: an interpreter for the code that happens to be stored in a database, or sometimes files.

If the "2MB application" won't work without the other 1.98GB of data, it's actually a 2GB application.

Of course the 2mb application will work without my 2GB development environment, if it's compiled properly to run on the target distribution/os. But as we can see from this thread, the aim is not to do that, the aim is to take what used to be a joke (it runs on my machine) and put it in the client's machine. After all, there's plenty of space both in ram and hdd.