Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've been mentally pronouncing it as boot the same way as tears up reads as crying or ripping paper in context.

It's just shorthand with a humorous coincidence. I feel like it's a good sign for society when his supporters need to stretch this far to cite evidence of homophobia.

Even ten years ago, a gay presidential candidate would have been a constant late night comedy punchline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m really not sure how Warren lasts much longer

Allegedly she raised more money last month/early this month but she has to spend lots of money on Super Tuesday

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Warren apparently raised 7 million off that debate

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

warren is in not as dire a budget situation after her big post-debate haul but i still don't see her staying in for super tuesday due to the fact that she will lose her home state if she does stay in

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Bloomberg went to bed and woke up $7M richer

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

is there a source on this?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I don't think they ratfuck Bernie unless it's really close. If Bernie has any kind of significant lead, Obama emerges from his lair and publicity knee bends. None of the liberals will be able to defy Obama. He's smart enough to see that it would destroy the party and I think despite his flaws he doesn't want to see that happen.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/VioletTamaskan/status/1230617385465516040?s=20

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't think they ratfuck Bernie unless it's really close. If Bernie has any kind of significant lead, Obama emerges from his lair and publicity knee bends. None of the liberals will be able to defy Obama. He's smart enough to see that it would destroy the party and I think despite his flaws he doesn't want to see that happen.

I agree. I think hes willing to pay some more taxes if it means the facists don't win. Then president bernie nominates obama as supreme court judge, leading to one party rule as every Republican melts down, ark of the covenant style.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

BernieHaus

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cabbages and Kings posted:

We have this thing called a primary, where every candidate believes themselves to be the most qualified, and actively try to prevent anyone else from being president.

Do you think Warren and Pete's best path to being president, is to not try to prevent other people from doing so?

The field should've been cleared for Sanders after everyone else was too chickenshit to take on Clinton (Sanders only ran because he tried to recruit Warren and she declined).

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

20 million people turned on their television to watch Bloomberg eat poo poo live on national television.

CNN posted:

The early figures from Nielsen Media Research, a firm that measures the size of television audiences, indicated that approximately 19.7 million people watched the debate on NBC and MSNBC combined.

Until Wednesday night, the most-watched Democratic primary debate ever had been one that occurred in June 2019, when approximately 18.1 million combined viewers watched the second night of a two-part debate series on NBC, MSNBC, and Telemundo.

The most-watched primary debate of all time still belongs to the 2015 Republican presidential debate in Ohio, for which approximately 24 million people tuned into Fox News. That debate was the first of the 2016 Republican GOP primaries, and featured then-candidate Donald Trump on the debate stage for the first time ever.

Link to full story.

So if you see some liberal hand-wringing that nobody watched, shove that in their face.

Edit: Since this is a Nielsen rating, it does not include digital engagements such as through Hulu, streaming video, or on an app. Those things were less popular in 2015.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 21, 2020

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/hardmodethardus/status/1230622690869776384

:trumppop:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yea, the way these vox pops work is that they interview like a hundred people and then pick the three dumbest motherfuckers and put them on the air.

Reminds me of that really old Jeff Foxworthy joke about how after a tornado or some other natural disaster, they don't interview scientists or climatologists, they find the dumbest looking yokel they can for the clip of "It was pandalerium! I about spilled my beer!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a shame he's basically only known for his hackier "might be a redneck" jokes

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look I've been looking through the right wing media sites, and I think they've finally found the actual images of Bernie's house:

...are we like 100% he's on the right side of the revolution. :ohdear:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Obama despises Bernie lmao

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Despite his many, many flaws I still think Obama would bend the knee rather than see a brokered convention.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sampatrick posted:

IMO, and I understand how one might disagree with this, but IMO he's not dumb or evil enough to blow up the world over a personal distaste for someone.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Honestly, unless it somehow affects his legacy, I don't think Obama gives a poo poo one way or the other.

Despite what we know now (and what I'm sure some of you knew even back then), he's going to go down in the history books as one of the good presidents.
As long as that isn't threatened, he probably doesn't give a Pete's rear end about what the Dems do.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/HeidiNBC/status/1230829650265477121

quote:

Trump's approval rating with black voters stands at just 14 percent

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Bernie and his surrogates really need to start emphasizing the importance of preventing a brokered convention in order to avoid a Trump re-election. Play ads with clips of the '68 convention and GE interposed with clips of Warren, Boot Petigieg and others saying the person with the most votes should be the winner (in reference to the 2016 election).

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

the_steve posted:

Honestly, unless it somehow affects his legacy, I don't think Obama gives a poo poo one way or the other.

Despite what we know now (and what I'm sure some of you knew even back then), he's going to go down in the history books as one of the good presidents.
As long as that isn't threatened, he probably doesn't give a Pete's rear end about what the Dems do.

This is actually exactly why Obama will never endorse Bernie unless he's already the nominee; Bernie is a direct threat to Obama's legacy based on the central plank of his campaign being M4A.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Panicking Biden-Bloomberg Donors on Wall Street Demonstrate That Money Can’t Buy You Common Sense

quote:

CNBC’s Brian Schwartz published a piece about this cohort on Wednesday afternoon, before the debate, writing that “close to a dozen” Wall Street figures and white-shoe lawyers who had been doing major fundraising for Biden had decided to switch their support Bloomberg because they believed that he was the only candidate formidable enough to defeat finance-hostile Sen. Bernie Sanders in the Democratic primary.

And then Bernie Sanders—and Elizabeth Warren, and Amy Klobuchar, and … Chuck Todd?—pummeled Wall Street’s anointed strongman into a stammering, scowling state of helplessness, on national TV. Somehow, what was self-evident to the donors failed entirely to manifest itself in its very first contact with the realities of a presidential campaign.

This shouldn’t have surprised them, since their rationale for choosing Bloomberg echoed the reasoning described in articles about donors who’d decided to support Biden before the Biden campaign launched last spring only to stall and then nosedive as its candidate repeatedly gave uninspiring public performances. One early Biden donor told the New York Times that “he saw Mr. Biden as the party’s best chance to defeat President Trump.” One told the Hill that he was taken by the way Biden had “lit up the crowd” at an exclusive Democratic event in Los Angeles the previous year. Going back even further in the Democratic Party establishment’s ill-starred 21st-century history of anointing presidential front-runners, you see the same pattern: The party’s biggest white-collar coastal donors and “bundlers” predominately line up behind one candidate, describing that person in interviews and endorsements as the strongest or most electable figure in the race. Then that candidate loses to the Republican nominee, or Barack Obama, or, as seems likely right now, Bernie Sanders.

Why does this keep happening? One reason might be that these individuals reductively define the “strongest” candidate as the one who is 1) already famous, 2) closest to “the center” on a left-right scale, and 3) most accustomed to speaking to small groups of people who work in finance, consulting, and corporate law. To be fair, those are important attributes in many campaigns. But other attributes are also important, particularly in presidential primaries during which a number of different candidates can use “earned” media coverage and small donations to gain and hold voters’ attention without the approval of party gatekeepers. One of those attributes is speaking in public without coming across as a total stiff or repeatedly shooting yourself in the rear end.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/02/biden-bloomberg-donors-ask-themselves-well-what-now.html

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

a brokered convention and the death of the democratic party are much bigger threats to his legacy.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sampatrick posted:

This is actually exactly why Obama will never endorse Bernie unless he's already the nominee; Bernie is a direct threat to Obama's legacy based on the central plank of his campaign being M4A.

Not really. If that happens it casts Obama as the precursor / John the Baptist guy, and cements his reputation as part of the progressive wave.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Demiurge4 posted:

Despite his many, many flaws I still think Obama would bend the knee rather than see a brokered convention.

Obama is the most cynical politician in a century.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Obama had your standard centrist "be realistic" objections to m4a, he wanted a public option but was blocked by Joe Lieberman in the senate. I think people ITT like to pretend that what obama delivered was what he wanted to deliver instead of the result of bad-faith negotiation on the part of the GOP and the lack of solid progressive support in the Senate from blue dogs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dietrich posted:

Obama had your standard centrist "be realistic" objections to m4a, he wanted a public option but was blocked by Joe Lieberman in the senate. I think people ITT like to pretend that what obama delivered was what he wanted to deliver instead of the result of bad-faith negotiation on the part of the GOP and the lack of solid progressive support in the Senate from blue dogs.

You cannot possibly be this naive.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I wonder how much her staffing is still costing her. I know she was cutting back on ad buys and likely isn't doing any more expansion of her ground game, but the staffing she still has is substantial and she's not going to want to end this in debt.

Although it's possible she goes deep into debt believing she can leverage whatever Super Tuesday delegates she gets to have the eventual nominee (Bernie) pay it off for her.

Dietrich posted:

Obama wasn't blocked by Lieberman in the Senate. The public option didn't even make it into 2009; he gave that up at the negotiating table months before they even produced a bill. He very clearly never deeply believed in it and abandoned it at the very first opportunity.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 21, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dietrich posted:

The ACA passed with literally 0 republican votes.

Are you interested in an exciting bridge owning opportunity in New York?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It doesn’t seem all that naive. Obama was a high achieving ivy league type who switched to progressive politics as a career. It’s pretty normal for a person like that to correctly identify social problems, correctly identify the solutions, have a go at them, but not be motivated to follow them through in the teeth of opposition because their personal situation won’t be affected. Sucks, but it’s human.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Phone posted:

Wasn't there one republican vote in the house who lost his next election?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Obama wasn't blocked by Lieberman in the Senate. The public option didn't even make it into 2009; he gave that up at the negotiating table months before they even produced a bill. He very clearly never deeply believed in it and abandoned it at the very first opportunity.

The public option did get passed by the house, it just didn't make it in the Senate. Because of Lieberman.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's naive to think Obama wanted better. Look at his reaction to the recession and who he put in economic positions in his administration.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
The proposed bill had the public option until Lieberman said he'd refuse to vote for it. They needed him to avoid a Republican filibuster.

Obviously they could have played things differently, but I think it's fair to say that Obama wanted a public option and caved to lovely moderate dems.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Dietrich posted:

lol what is this horseshit?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

The proposed bill had the public option until Lieberman said he'd refuse to vote for it. They needed him to avoid a Republican filibuster.

Obviously they could have played things differently, but I think it's fair to say that Obama wanted a public option and caved to lovely moderate dems.

They passed the bill through reconciliation. They didn't need him

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Phone posted:

Are you interested in an exciting bridge owning opportunity in New York?

I followed the development of the ACA very closely, I'm 100% aware of that. There were endless negotiations with the GOP, and many concessions to attempt to get bipartisan support for it. Every time the Dems gave something, the goal posts moved for what it would take to get bipartisan support. It took too long to realize the depth of the bad faith from the GOP side. Those were the failures of the Obama administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Garrand posted:

The public option did get passed by the house, it just didn't make it in the Senate. Because of Lieberman.

Ok thanks. I looked it up and had misremembered.

They passed the bill through reconciliation. They didn't need him

The initial passage was actually via cloture, 60-39. And then they used the reconciliation process after passage to amend the bill, but restricted themselves to budgetary concerns because this was long before anyone suggested reconciliation to just pass whatever you want.