Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Action RTS is when you can be in direct control of units, like Battlezone '98

Maybe RTT (Real-Time Tactics) instead of MOBA, seeing as you're generally only controlling one guy, as part of a small squad/fireteam? As opposed to controlling an army on a higher/strategic level, like in an RTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

but then what do we call Shadow Tactics and Dawn of War 2

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

but then what do we call Shadow Tactics and Dawn of War 2

DoW2 would be Action RTS, as it's similar to Battlezone (god that was a good game).
I guess Shadow Tactics would be RTT, too? Since you're still only controlling a squad - just that one person is, not a group. (Since there's no coop for ST, isn't there?) I guess it really depends on the scale of the forces/engagements

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd lump Shadow Tactics with Commandos and call it a puzzle game. It is one at heart.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Hwurmp posted:

but then what do we call Shadow Tactics

Commandoslike

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Stealth-puzzle (both stealth game and puzzle game are also valid choices)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Sacrifice is king of the action rts

Man i should play sacrifice again

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When I hear Real Time Tactics, I think of Dawn it War II or World in Conflict, where you control a small to medium sized force in battle but you aren’t doing any bigger picture stuff like building a base.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Action Real Time Tactics :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Elman posted:

Action Real Time Tactics :colbert:

Fast Action Real Time Tactics. :colbert:

I’m a ten year old at heart and I want there to be a genre called FARTT, sue me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Base-free Unit Tactics, Type: Squad-focused

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

dudeness posted:

World of Horror seems pretty neat but it likes to crash on me a lot and the game doesn't have any sort of autosave, or any save if you're me. I know there's supposed to be a button to save and exit so you can pickup a run later but it just isn't there for me. This is the gamepass version though, maybe the Steam version is fine.

Also happening to me, also on the game pass version.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

baka kaba posted:

^^^ yeah that soundtrack thing is garbage and it's especially bad for stuff you already own

all right yeah, that makes sense

oh yeah there's always gonna be some people like that, I just saw it as more of a neowwwww bang bang arcade thing people played for fun. Like nobody cared that Ridge Racer was nothing like actual driving, you got to go sideways around a track and that's rad

tbh I can see F-35 stans being extremely drawn to an anime plane game where all your wildest, dumbest fantasies are real and work extremely well actually

Ace Combat takes the position that war is hell and horrible and death to the mic, but also that jets are loving awesome and shooting missiles and doing sweet maneuvers owns

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Ace Combat takes the position that war is hell and horrible and death to the mic, but also that jets are loving awesome and shooting missiles and doing sweet maneuvers owns

Ah so its a Gundam.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

catlord posted:

How was their previous game? I'm not as familiar with Metroidvanias as I'd like, but I do love Record of Lodoss War.

Looking forward to World of Horror too. I dig Junji Ito, and from the videos I've watched it looks interesting.

It's pretty great, though much more in the style of the older pre-SotN Castlevanias. So big mostly linear levels with loads of secrets and some branching then reconnecting paths and not a huge interconnected world.

Importantly it is incredibly good to control, the movement and combat is just straight up genius.

Short though. But cheap. So it's short and sweet and reasonably priced.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Light Gun Man posted:

Yep, also me. All I can do is quit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So with World of Horror what is a full run like? I get that there are "cases", do they string together or is it all random and it doesn't really matter when you go insane and your face melts off and you die? I've only seen the demo case.

dbzfandiego posted:

Ah so its a Gundam.

P much

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 21, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I like "exploration platformer" for your metroids, night symphonies etc. :shrug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They're Night Lites

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

how jump scary is world of horror? i like and can handle weird / gross but get bad during tense moments and surprise cuts

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I like "exploration platformer" for your metroids, night symphonies etc. :shrug:

Explatformation!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kibayasu posted:

Explatformation!

:tizzy:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

This sounds good to me too

Kibayasu posted:

Explatformation!

this does NOT

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I call them metroidvanias because that's what everyone else calls them

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Andrast posted:

I call them metroidvanias because that's what everyone else calls them

Action metroidvanias??

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Diegetic Overworld with Notable Growth States

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

with the popularity of "rooty tooty loot n shooty" on the rise, i propose "happy slappy search and mappy"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As games where you embody a role, I think they should be called role-playing games.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Anything with an RNG should be called a roll-playing game.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tight aspirations posted:

Anything with an RNG should be called a roll-playing game.

Anything where you can turn into a ball should be called a rolling-play game

Example: Metroid

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cowcaster posted:

with the popularity of "rooty tooty loot n shooty" on the rise, i propose "happy slappy search and mappy"

:hmmyes:

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Light Gun Man posted:

Apparently that's an issue with the XGP/Microsoft Store version, and it should be getting a patch today (or at least very soon) going by the developer's twitter.

Hopefully it's fixed soon, since a body horror HyperCard stack is the game I needed but never knew until now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is it normal for Void Destroyer 2 auto-traders to move slow as balls compared to your main fleet?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

So with World of Horror what is a full run like? I get that there are "cases", do they string together or is it all random and it doesn't really matter when you go insane and your face melts off and you die? I've only seen the demo case.

Each case is isolated from the others, but everything about your character/inventory carries over, so if you get real hosed up by a case you’re in trouble, since all you really have is the bath between cases for healing, and there’s an event that takes even that out of commission. The elder god and their effect is also consistent, and there’s a final case about defeating them after the normal five. It’s set up a lot like those horror board games that have you play a consistent character over multiple sessions, if you’re familiar with those.

There’s a standard setup that most cases use, with a grid of locations in town that’ll progress if you investigate the specified one. Some cases have a different setup, though, with a completely different UI to match. I was impressed by how varied the cases can be. I’m worried how it’ll feel once I’ve seen everything, though. Hopefully the plans to add more events over EA will help with that.

Artelier posted:

how jump scary is world of horror? i like and can handle weird / gross but get bad during tense moments and surprise cuts

From my experience, not very, most scare reveals require you to click on the screen, so you can prepare for it. The only out-and-out jump scare I’ve seen is if you stay alt-tabbed for too long (everyone else don’t spoil that if you can handle jump scares, it’s fun).

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 21, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the description! The style is definitely up my alley, once the saves are fixed I'll give it a go.

Lol at the spoiler too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Trailmakers is a ton of fun, and has definitely taken a few points from Nuts and Bolts as much as it has from Lego. A considerably less janky physics engine for starters. (though still p janky)

Though feel like I've hit a bit of a plateau in that the game is more or less expecting me to start making aircraft/hovercraft now, but I don't have the parts.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You also unlock new gear (and events?) as you get achievements in WoH.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ciaphas posted:

This is my favorite now as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is my favorite now as well

It’s so much better than “search action” which sounds like someone was trying to make a worse genre name than “character action”.