Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

My grandfather got used to weak or substitute coffee during the Depression and the war, and it wasn't until the 90s that he figured out he could drink real, strong coffee again.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Halloween Jack posted:

My grandfather got used to weak or substitute coffee during the Depression and the war, and it wasn't until the 90s that he figured out he could drink real, strong coffee again.

I got used to vending machine coffee in law school and my coffee tastes are forever hosed now.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

At first I thought “well, maybe they didn’t realize that caffeine was in coffee and not this other stuff, and that’s why they even bothered”, but nope, caffeine was discovered in 1819. Buncha decaf-drinking lunatics down south.

Sometime, when you definitely cannot find some, you just gotta have the feeling of drinking coffee I guess. I remember story from WWII era Thailand where people would just roasted tamarind seed to cut with/substitute coffee.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Halloween Jack posted:

Not sure about other nations/services, but in WW2 the USN liked its coffee weak. The idea was that you'd drink it while standing watch and it'd help you stay alert, but lacked the caffeine to interfere with your sleep, which for watch reasons might be at very odd hours

I know I've posted this before: so when the US entered World War 2, almost immediately, all the German U-boats that could went to the US east coast and started sinking ships. The US hadn't started blackouts or convoys, so it was happy time #2 for U-boat crews. Happy time #3 was when the same U-boats moved on to the Caribbean. This had some profound effects (the reason battleships didn't accompany the task force backing up the Guadalcanal invasion was because the United States tanker fleet had been badly mauled) but it also meant coffee from South America suddenly couldn't be shipped, and suddenly, there was coffee rationing.

Life Magazine on tips to stretch that ration further. The one I'd be curious to try is that "add chicory to coffee, it really stretches it out and you can't taste the difference!"

Eventually, the U-boats were beaten back and the rationing ended.

Oh and I've no idea about the deets, but at one point WW2 USA ran out of cigarettes:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Life Magazine on tips to stretch that ration further. The one I'd be curious to try is that "add chicory to coffee, it really stretches it out and you can't taste the difference!"

Hit up an Asian grocery store and look for Cafe Du Monde coffee, in a bright yellow can. It's got chicory in it. I've only ever used it with the Vietnamese "phin" brewing system, never tried in a regular drip brewer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chicory adds a bit of a nutty flavor to coffee but it’s not much of a difference unless you make a 100% chicory substitute. It’s common in New Orleans after Civil War rationing gave them a taste for it: Cafe du Monde coffee comes from the famous 19th century cafe still operating there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Last thing I did in New Orleans before I came home.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Lots of Indian coffee is also chicory blend. Madras style.

I love me some plain coffee, but every once in a while I get a can of Cafe du Monde or the green bag stuff from the Indian market.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Missing Name posted:

the green bag stuff from the Indian market.

Bru? Bru Instant is some good poo poo, didn't realize it's got chicory in it. We like to mix it with milk, sugar, and ice in one of those shakers people use to mix protein powder, since it can get a little clumpy otherwise.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Chicory is a very common flavouring additive to this day in coffee.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I cannot imagine the chaos when there were no cigarettes to buy.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

Bru? Bru Instant is some good poo poo, didn't realize it's got chicory in it. We like to mix it with milk, sugar, and ice in one of those shakers people use to mix protein powder, since it can get a little clumpy otherwise.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

a powerful image

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

chitoryu12 posted:

Chicory adds a bit of a nutty flavor to coffee but it’s not much of a difference unless you make a 100% chicory substitute. It’s common in New Orleans after Civil War rationing gave them a taste for it: Cafe du Monde coffee comes from the famous 19th century cafe still operating there.
Chicory coffee was common in New Orleans before the Civil War. There was apparently a wave of popularity in New Orleans in the 1840s due to economic reasons, but the French had developed a taste for chicory coffee in the first decade of the 19th Century due to disruption of the coffee-coffee trade during War of the Third Coalition (which is roughly contemporaneous with the Louisiana Purchase).

Chicory coffee appears to date, like European coffee trade itself, to the Dutch in the early to mid 18th Century. Coffee brewing in the sense we think of it today is from Arabia in the mid 15th Century (there are various food origin myths that place the date earlier but those are not supported by evidence) and spread through the Ottoman Empire in the 16th. But while coffee had spread elsewhere by 1600 (to the point where the Pope weighed in on the subject of coffee consumption) it wasn't until the early to mid 18th Century that European trade in coffee became common enough for coffee to be an everyday item instead of an exotic luxury. And apparently more or less as soon at that happened, people started coming up with cheaper alternatives.

Chicory itself has been used, for culinary and medicinal purposes, since antiquity, although modern cultivars date to no earlier than the late middle ages.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It was basically the coffee people drank here during WW2 in finland and sweden as well, because they couldn't get real coffee. I would like to try chicory coffee some day.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 21, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

His Divine Shadow posted:

It was basically the coffee people drank here during WW2 in finland and sweden as well, because they couldn't get real coffee. I would like to try chicory coffee some day.

Cafe du Monde is a chicory coffee blend that's available pretty widely. It might be available from your local Amazon or a specialty grocer that has a decent selection of American items.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Man. I used to have some chicory tea which I quite liked. Strong, coffee-like stuff, caffeine free. I wonder if I can still get that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So when I read a bunch of newspapers from the 30s, a common advertisement was for "dated coffee." The idea was that stale coffee gives you jitters that fresh coffee doesn't, and this brand of coffee stamped the date that it was packaged.

It was probably Wesson Oil bullshit, but Idunno, maybe coffee was packaged much differently then and stale coffee was noticeably lower in quality.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Another coffee substitute that used to be out there was Postum. It was made from roasted wheat. I remember being served it once and being unimpressed, but then I really love my coffee and don't tend to care for substitutes.

I see a few crazy-expensive jars on Amazon, but I don't know if that's new old stock or if it is still being produced. It doesn't seem to be in any US stores in my mid Atlantic region anymore.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's still around, but I don't think they have distribution to grocery stores anymore. Definitely a boutique product now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

It's still around, but I don't think they have distribution to grocery stores anymore. Definitely a boutique product now.

It was discontinued for like 5-6 years. I’m pretty sure it’s still popular in Utah now, but you can find it online for like ten bucks, cafix is similar but a bit cheaper.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Also Pero (in the U.S.; Caro elsewhere) made of roasted barley, malted barley, chicory, and rye. I started drinking it when I was pregnant and stopped as soon as I could have real caffeinated coffee again. :( It's not that bad in the evenings when I'm out of decaf and/or just want a quick cup of something hot and coffee-adjacent.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

TofuDiva posted:

Another coffee substitute that used to be out there was Postum. It was made from roasted wheat. I remember being served it once and being unimpressed, but then I really love my coffee and don't tend to care for substitutes.

I see a few crazy-expensive jars on Amazon, but I don't know if that's new old stock or if it is still being produced. It doesn't seem to be in any US stores in my mid Atlantic region anymore.

Postum! I had a college roommate who introduced me to it. It's an acquired taste but I got hooked on it. I was doing a lot of painting in those years and I'd generally get the creative itch late at night. I'd drink that instead of coffee so my hands wouldn't shake and I'd be able to sleep eventually.

I hadn't thought about it for like 10 years until I was reading a book about rice cookers by Roger Ebert (yes, the film critic) and he mentioned it. Much to my chagrin, that's how I learned it didn't exist anymore, and forgot about it again for another 10 years.

But it's back! Kraft sold the brand to another company in 2013, so what you're seeing is indeed new stock. I just visited their website, and they've got a store locator --- yeah, looks like mostly health/natural food stores, some scattered Safeways, etc. You can buy it direct from their website, but it's still $10.50 a jar, which does seem way more expensive than I remember.

I don't know if they always had these, but they have coffee and cocoa flavors on the site, as well. I'd really like to try those. If anyone's curious, it's (as Tofu said) roasted wheat and molasses, so it's nutty and malt-y.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dandelion root tisane was also a pretty common coffee replacement, as far as I know. I've not personally tried it, but from what I've gathered, it's...similarish to coffee, but with a slightly sweeter, earthier flavor. And of course no caffeine.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Dandelion root tisane was also a pretty common coffee replacement, as far as I know. I've not personally tried it, but from what I've gathered, it's...similarish to coffee, but with a slightly sweeter, earthier flavor. And of course no caffeine.
Yeah, it's pretty good. Dandelion is supposed to be a diuretic (hence the English folk name for it, pissabed, which is mirrored in a few other languages), so it shows up in some "for your swollen feet at the end of a long day" tisane blends. Big brands Yogi Tea and Celestial Seasonings use it in their "detox" products. I like it fine with a little sweetener. This was also a nice choice during my pregnancy.

Speaking of Celestial Seasonings, they make a coffee alternative with roasted barley, roasted chicory, roasted carob, cinnamon, allspice and star anise.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Since we're on the subject when I went western (Canada) supermarkets sold a polish coffee substitute, Krakhaus? It was made from similar stuff, but with beets substituting for.......something

It tasted better than instant, though I thought you could get a subtle beet flavor on it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

RoboRodent posted:

I cannot imagine the chaos when there were no cigarettes to buy.

I know. Sickly people over the age of 14 were being told by doctors to take it up for their health

It happened sometime in the summer of 1944. I can only imagine that for a month America had quadruple the normal rates of fistfights and domestic disturbances

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Since we're on the subject when I went western (Canada) supermarkets sold a polish coffee substitute, Krakhaus? It was made from similar stuff, but with beets substituting for.......something

It tasted better than instant, though I thought you could get a subtle beet flavor on it
I understand Krakus is now known as Akava. I don't know if I could get behind actual beets in there. :shudder: There's a Polish coffee substitute called Inka that's made with sugarbeet, which is much more palatable.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Dandelion root and wild chicory root make a very similar coffee. Modern chicory cultivars grown commercially--Belgian endive, radicchio, puntarelle, and so on--have distinctive appearances and flavours, but if you weren't already familiar with the differences between wild chicory and dandelions you could easily mistake the two, unless the chicory happened to be in bloom.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

SubG posted:

Dandelion root and wild chicory root make a very similar coffee. Modern chicory cultivars grown commercially--Belgian endive, radicchio, puntarelle, and so on--have distinctive appearances and flavours, but if you weren't already familiar with the differences between wild chicory and dandelions you could easily mistake the two, unless the chicory happened to be in bloom.

SubG, are you a food-knowing historian/academic by trade, or "just" a well-read person? Don't care either way, I just really like your informative posts and am curious. :)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

SubG, are you a food-knowing historian/academic by trade, or "just" a well-read person? Don't care either way, I just really like your informative posts and am curious. :)
Just a dedicated amateur. But whenever I'm interested in a subject one of the first things I do is figure out how the subject is taught (when it's taught formally) and do the reading or whatever. It turns out that used textbooks that aren't the most recent edition are dirt loving cheap, as are industry-published reference works that are more than a couple years old.

Knowing the chicory stuff is mostly just being old, though. I know a bunch of folksy poo poo about chicory because I learned about it while working on a ranch when I was a teenager. The belief then was that wild chicory was good for livestock because it prevents/helps treat worms. It unsurprisingly turns out it's more complicated than that, but because it was always around I know how to identify it, and because I'm the first generation of either side of my family that didn't have to practice subsistence farming (and hunting) I've had wild chicory in various forms (the greens as food, the roots and leaves as tea and coffee, and so on). I also happen to live in a place where wild chicory and dandelions both grow naturally, so I've had to explain the differences more than once recently.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The best South Indian filter coffee is supposed to be an 80/20 coffee chicory blend. It's what I drink regularly at home and good stuff. I don't know about stretching the beans but there is a distinct fruitiness to the flavor.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
You can get some kind of chicory coffee syrup from my local Tescos, I'll have to try it!

In other coffee news, I can heartily recommend roasting your own green beans on a stovetop - you can buy the online and it's fun to experiment with roast levels yourself.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

MikeCrotch posted:

You can get some kind of chicory coffee syrup from my local Tescos, I'll have to try it!

In other coffee news, I can heartily recommend roasting your own green beans on a stovetop - you can buy the online and it's fun to experiment with roast levels yourself.

Your av/usertext still kills me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

MikeCrotch posted:

Seconded, I found some interesting flavours that I never associated with coffee before.
Everyone who consider themselves a coffee lover should give it a try.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
This is the sort of thing y'all may appreciate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Alkctc1Vk

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just wanted to add that the chicory coffee tangent led to me buying this, and this is by far the best instant coffee I've ever had. The only instant coffee I can recall genuinely liking, for that matter.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

captkirk posted:

This is the sort of thing y'all may appreciate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Alkctc1Vk
Oh man, my little sister, a professional bartender got seriously into milk cocktails 8 years back.

If anyone hasn't looked into Michael Twitty, this is my name drop for him, he is 100% legit as a person, and as a historical culinarian. He's more "experienced" on the historical side, inso much as professional training, but he took the time to come chill with us in the culinary building after his big talk, and I appreciate that.

edit: his videos with thread favorite Townsends is a good jumping off point: https://youtu.be/GwkRWIwZ43A

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Oh man, my little sister, a professional bartender got seriously into milk cocktails 8 years back.

If anyone hasn't looked into Michael Twitty, this is my name drop for him, he is 100% legit as a person, and as a historical culinarian. He's more "experienced" on the historical side, inso much as professional training, but he took the time to come chill with us in the culinary building after his big talk, and I appreciate that.

edit: his videos with thread favorite Townsends is a good jumping off point: https://youtu.be/GwkRWIwZ43A

Also read the Cooking Gene! His projects are legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Aging liquids to improve it is a very old technique. While Romans usually drank their wine very fresh (without sulfites or proper bottling to preserve it, wine will go bad pretty quickly), some expensive wines were aged for a very long time. The Opimian vintage of 121 BC was considered the absolute best in Rome and leftover wine continued to be drank for a very, very, very long time. Pliny the Elder had it over 200 years after it was made and described it as being undrinkable, basically syrup with an extremely concentrated flavor. There were jokes in comedies about 160-year-old vinegar being served at aristocratic banquets because of this trend.

In Denmark they still serve wine that is partly from about 1598 at the royal new years banquet.
http://www.kongernessamling.dk/en/rosenborg/room/the-rosenborg-wine/

Apparently it tastes awful, but it's old and royal so it must be good right?
This from the country that gave you the emporors knew clothes...