Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Honestly until someone posted that picture of troi a few posts up, I convinced myself that sirtis/troi has a mole or beauty mark or whatever on her cheek, just because vajazzle has one and looks exactly like that troi picture in every other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Raffi was such a bad parent that her son ended up with a Romulan cosplayer. Now I finally realize the destructive power that addiction can have on our lives. What brave writing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Giggs posted:

Raffi was such a bad parent that her son ended up with a Romulan cosplayer. Now I finally realize the destructive power that addiction can have on our lives. What brave writing.

What?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

piratepilates posted:

Not just a betazoid, it seems like they intentionally went with someone who looks incredibly similar to troi -- to the degree that if you caught the show at a glance you would mistake her for Troi.

I had to check this myself

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Goon face blindness strikes again

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Until I saw Bijayzl or however it was spelled I thought those dudes just straight up named that character Vajazzle

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Vagjizz'le

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lizard Combatant posted:

Trick the kid with a false plan so he's running interference on the Reptiloid (???) as he radiates pure wholesome candour. While the real plan is happening under the surface. Classic heist bullshit.

I still like the "let's give the front man drugs" plan. Raffi probably just ordered a #2 drug cocktail, adjusted to the captain's mass.

My big question is, why are random mooks transporting to safety when Seven comes back, but the boss is stuck with a well-armed angry woman with a grudge.

It looked to me like Seven set up her own transport, ostensibly to the Ranger ship that was arriving "any minute now". Picard will be very disappointed.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

marktheando posted:

Goon face blindness strikes again

thinking that these people look very similar isn't "face blindeness" lol

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Pel is the only Romulan left who wears her hair like the olde Romulans, so I made a joke to imply that she isn't a Romulan because no other Romulan looks that way anymore (so she then must be a cosplayer), and also that the sad consequence of Raffi's addiction isn't the deterioration of her relationship with her family but that her son is romantically attached to cosplayer, which is a silly thing to say and conclusion to come to, but I said it because I haven't found Raffii's story to be compelling or handled very well at all. All of this is to say I'm making fun of the show, because I don't think it is very good and I feel the way they're writing these characters is farcical.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

mllaneza posted:

I still like the "let's give the front man drugs" plan. Raffi probably just ordered a #2 drug cocktail, adjusted to the captain's mass.

It's fine. That was just my initial thought when watching.

mllaneza posted:

My big question is, why are random mooks transporting to safety when Seven comes back, but the boss is stuck with a well-armed angry woman with a grudge.

It looked to me like Seven set up her own transport, ostensibly to the Ranger ship that was arriving "any minute now". Picard will be very disappointed.

Rios slipped her the chit that had something to do with being able to beam into the club. I don't know where the other patrons went, maybe Seven engineered that to prevent collateral, who knows.

e: \/ yeah, it doesn't seem particularly important except that Vajazzle just hangs around.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 21, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Not everyone transported out; a lot of the patrons were shown running away. I think it's not unreasonable that the staff at a bar/club in a place like Freecloud would have emergency GTFO buttons in case a gang deal went bad or something.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Really not helping the "There are 18 people in the universe, tops" problem that star trek has always had

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rule of Acquisition #42: "What's mine is mine - and what's yours is mine too."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Somehow I think Killing someone who was receiving medical treatment on a ship with 5 people on it while you were the last person in the room with them is not going to go well for Agnes. She'll probably erase logs, but we've seen Raffi being a very competent hacker so she'd pick up any errors.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Really not helping the "There are 18 people in the universe, tops" problem that star trek has always had

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I want a whole episode where Picard wears an eyepatch and speaks in an over the top mustache-twirling French accent.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm starting to get a bit of a Culture novel vibe from the series. A glacial plot, a couple of seemingly unconnected plotlines, a group of protagonists from a utopian society having to interact with their less than utopian neighbours. Feels a little bit Consider Phlebas, a little bit Hydrogen Sonata.

Not as good, but I think I can see how you could take the initial script treatment and instead make it a culture story.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Star Trek was better about this when Gene Roddenberry, who gets blamed for a lot of crap rightly or wrongly, was alive. Roddenberry insisted they not bring back stuff from TOS in TNG. Only after Roddenberry died did they do the Spock episode.

And yeah there really was no reason for this to be Seven or Icheb. There's really no reason for this to be about Picard, come to think of it. They have to immediately hand wave away all the resources he has through personal relationships as one of the most famous and respected men in Starfleet. That scene in Stafleet HQ would have meant a lot more if it was Admiral Riker refusing to help him. But they don't have Frakes in front of the camera for some reason. . . So anyway, we have this Picard who's not really Picard, who is somehow a legend with no admirers and a hero with no allies.

The only reason this story is about Picard is that they needed you to watch it. They made a new Trek show with a new ship and it was a disaster. So now they're throwing things at the wall and hoping one sticks before CBS All Access burns all its money.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Star Trek was better about this when Gene Roddenberry, who gets blamed for a lot of crap rightly or wrongly, was alive. Roddenberry insisted they not bring back stuff from TOS in TNG. Only after Roddenberry died did they do the Spock episode.

And yeah there really was no reason for this to be Seven or Icheb. There's really no reason for this to be about Picard, come to think of it. They have to immediately hand wave away all the resources he has through personal relationships as one of the most famous and respected men in Starfleet. That scene in Stafleet HQ would have meant a lot more if it was Admiral Riker refusing to help him. But they don't have Frakes in front of the camera for some reason. . . So anyway, we have this Picard who's not really Picard, who is somehow a legend with no admirers and a hero with no allies.

The only reason this story is about Picard is that they needed you to watch it. They made a new Trek show with a new ship and it was a disaster. So now they're throwing things at the wall and hoping one sticks before CBS All Access burns all its money.

Citation needed

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

They made a new Trek show with a new ship and it was a disaster.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" and it was the best DIS episode so far, but it has a similar problem in that the Harry Mudd character didn't have to be Harry Mudd

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
My favorite episode so far. No idea why, though. :v:

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh god, super secret Troi sister?
Yessss….. that was sooo distracting the whole time. Why is there a young Marina Sirtis clone in this? I mean, should they want to remake TNG, they got one actress down.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 21, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lol at thinking Disco was a disaster when it was profitable off the Netflix money alone and they followed it up by green lighting ten new Star Treks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't buy the internet doomers' shtick anymore but looking at how STD turned out I'd say somebody somewhere up at CBS was not impressed with it's initial performance and I don't think the fact that their next offering was literally "Um, look we got Picard back!" is a coincidence

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Is this a thing people have decided? It makes sense to me for star wars because the fate of the galaxy is 100% tied to one bloodline and no one else matters, but star trek never felt this small to me.

e: disco is better than picard but I wouldn't cite IMDb and rotten tomatoes considering the people who give ratings are so utterly coocoolabanza

Giggs fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 21, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

AndyElusive posted:

I want a whole episode where Picard wears an eyepatch and speaks in an over the top mustache-twirling French accent.

THAT should be the mirror universe Picard. None of that buff sleeveless nonsense, make him as hilariously black-and-white-films sinister as possible

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tighclops posted:

I don't buy the internet doomers' shtick anymore but looking at how STD turned out I'd say somebody somewhere up at CBS was not impressed with it's initial performance and I don't think the fact that their next offering was literally "Um, look we got Picard back!" is a coincidence

One of the big selling points of Disco S2 was "Um, look we got Spock, Pike and the Enterprise back!" though

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Snow Cone Capone posted:

One of the big selling points of Disco S2 was "Um, look we got Spock, Pike and the Enterprise back!" though

Pike was great, though. :colbert:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That's what I mean, somebody got spooked and they began really leaning into the fanservice to win people back. STD did it's best to sweep it's entire first season story arc under the rug in it's finale episode just so they could have the Enterprise show up as a cliffhanger.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Star Trek was better about this when Gene Roddenberry, who gets blamed for a lot of crap rightly or wrongly, was alive. Roddenberry insisted they not bring back stuff from TOS in TNG.

Lol the very first post pilot episode was Naked Now

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

mllaneza posted:

I think the staff teleported out, and Vajazzle stayed behind to stall Seven in the hopes that her security would get there in time and kill Seven. I don't think she expected Seven to actually gun her down.

The other question is, was the little token she gave Picard actually a tracking device so she can swoop in to save the day again later? And why didn't super-smell guy smell the chemicals suddenly getting Rios high as gently caress?

And, you know, why didn't security just teleport in?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

THAT should be the mirror universe Picard. None of that buff sleeveless nonsense, make him as hilariously black-and-white-films sinister as possible

There are enough parallel universes out there for both.

(I non-ironically love buff sleeveless Mirror Universe Picard)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Catching up on all the drama here, I liked the episode and thought it was nice to see places that aren't just Federation flagships, it makes it more DS9 than TNG. I thought it was clear that Freecloud isn't in the Federation (nor was the Romulan colony from last week) so don't get the money complaints. Picard definitely knew what he was doing the last scene. Seven definitely was dating Vajazzle. Vajazzle might not have been cast to look like Troi but Frakes or the costume team definitely saw it and set it up that way.

Someone several pages back was confused about the Borg implant black market, there was a whole Voyager episode where Ferengi were scheming to steal 7 of 9's implants before they even got back to the Alpha Quadrant so they got to be worth a pretty penny (or pretty latinum?) even now with a bunch of ex-Borgs running around. I think the Picard show called them XBs.

Everything bad seemed to have happened 14 years ago, that seems to be the 9-11/Brexit moment for the Federation and people either gave up or fought losing battles and became embittered. I'd complain about it being too long but it's been 19 years since 9-11 and we are still stuck in forever wars so I dunno

Eyepatch Picard rules

One thing that is both good and bad is the show dumps you off in the middle of this world where we've missed 25 years and doesn't bother to explain a lot of things, which is half of the major disagreements I'm seeing. Not everyone is like me that will watch this stuff 2-3 times and pick up things that are easily missed. The other thing with characters acting out of character is a more nuanced argument. People can change in 25 years but you can make a case for how much they would have changed or how much they would have changed with circumstances that happened the way the show did.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
We need more episodes like the one where Janeway punches a virus to death

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

HD DAD posted:

Kate Mulgrew seems like shes a little ticked for not being on Picard judging by her tweets right now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

She would also have been a better choice than Admiral No-Name.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Noise Complaint posted:

Kate Mulgrew seems like shes a little ticked for not being on Picard judging by her tweets right now.

What? Her twitter seems to have one tweet about it where she replies to someone who posted a picture comparing Picard in an eyepatch and her in an eyepatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

HD DAD posted:

If Picard doesn't have a stupid time travel episode that asks more questions than it answers, I'll be very disappointed