Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Ostriches are specifically listed under "not kosher" which for legal purposes is obviously "close enough" to apply to emus.

Edit: I'm not Jewish, I'll eat anything but I love a good debate.

The only paleognath mentioned in Leviticus is the unclean ostrich, so it would makes sense that the rest of the clade (emus, rheas, kiwis, cassowaries, and tinamous) are unclean as well.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Feb 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zil posted:

Anything that involves a needle causes autism

Bip Roberts posted:

it was called "trainspotting" for a reason

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm really proud at having started a multi page derail about ostriches.

My class in like 3rd grade got to take a field trip to our ostrich farm and I thought I was the coolest motherfucker ever.

I saw my dad ride one once. He was trying to wrangle it into a trailer and when it took off he was in a position of either falling down and potentially getting kicked or stepped on so he hung on for a good 100 yard sprint.

When I was probably six we had a male drop dead for no discernible reason, and considering it was worth a good $20k my dad had the vet come out for an autopsy on the spot. The vet finally had to make my mom take me inside because I was so fascinated I kept trying to practically stick my head into its chest cavity. I remember when he pulled the esophagus out how long it was and I thought it was amazing.

Ostrich art was a thing at my house. We had various forms of it. Ostrich feather arrangement center pieces on tables and quite a few elaborately painted ostrich eggs among other things.

The chicks are super cute and playing in an enclosure with like 20 of them at once was always fun.

Getting their eggs was always a matter of distracting them and running in and out as fast as possible as the parents realized you were stealing it and came charging after you.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

lmao

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
D-pad, do an A/T!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

D-Pad posted:

I'm really proud at having started a multi page derail about ostriches.

As well you should be. This whole discussion has been as interesting and informative as the banana thread in C-SPAM which started with a poo poo post about Donkey Kong.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914227

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:hmbol:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bring back old gbs posted:

i get a bunch of chloe faces posted at me when i say it but i genuinely believe everybody should use MDMA once even if they never drank or smoked a joint in their life, just to make drat sure their empathy center is jump started

Oscar Wild posted:

Can you imagine Stephen Miller on molly?

Steve Yun posted:

The end of Soylent Green, except Charlton Heston is yelling that black people are made of people

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There was a farm near my town when I was a kid that had ostriches and camels for maybe 2 years, and when I tell people now they don't believe me. I'm feeling very vindicated right now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is amazing

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
what the gently caress, there was an ostrich farm in my town too. though that was early 2000s poland, but whatever. i remember going there to look at the ostriches through the fence

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are some ostriches that live by the Canby ferry here in Oregon.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

There was a farm near my town when I was a kid that had ostriches and camels for maybe 2 years, and when I tell people now they don't believe me. I'm feeling very vindicated right now.

Like, a farm farm, or like a petting zoo type farm? Cause I'd believe either

Phy has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Feb 21, 2020

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Picnic Princess posted:

that happened to me lol, there was an emu boom in my town when i was like 5-6? and all my childhood memories involved roaming flocks of emus along the side of the highway. i thought everyone's childhood had been like that, but later when i met people from normal towns and was like "remember the emus?" and they didn't, i thought for years i'd hallucinated the whole thing

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Phy posted:

Like, a farm farm, or like a petting zoo type farm? Cause I'd believe either

Farm farm. They also had cattle and those massive chicken barns.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Pick posted:

There are some ostriches that live by the Canby ferry here in Oregon.

That is where my GF is from!

I remember going to hang out with Emu, and fish for Rainbow Trout when I was young.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Elviscat posted:

That is where my GF is from!

I remember going to hang out with Emu, and fish for Rainbow Trout when I was young.

Are you dating an ostrich? What is it with goons and animals.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Inceltown posted:

It's almost chickam time again :wink:

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inceltown posted:

personally, i love them

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's almost chickam time again :wink:
You make it sound like chickam is stickam for bestiality enthusiasts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And I thought it was cool and exotic when there used to be a deer farm along the highway in rural Australia.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What is it with wierdos and emus?

There's a caravan park/truck stop near me with emus for some stupid reason. They sell the egg shell art to tourists I guess? Just a small flock of desert adapted birds with bare legs hanging out in the Canadian snow. I'm guessing he puts them in a barn when it gets cold because it gets down to - 30 or more and there's no way they could handle that.

I also saw a single Emu sitting in some guys backyard in Chile once. I just don't get it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Outrail posted:

What is it with wierdos and emus?

An emu is just an ostrich that dresses in black and listens to My Chemical Romance. There's room to relate.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

When I was a small child, my mom used to take me to an exotic pet store on the semi-regular, possibly for aquarium supplies but maybe just to let me gawk at the animals. It was one of those tiny, one-crazy-person-type businesses, and I have a very distinct, bizarre memory of catching a glimpse of an emu or rhea running around in the back room. I kind of wonder if it was a dream, because surely even the craziest Exotic Pet Guy in Alaska wouldn't have kept a goddamn emu in the back room, but... who fuckin' knows.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I thought it was cool and exotic when there used to be a deer farm along the highway in rural Australia.

And now they're an invasive pest species running wild all over the country. :(

Some guy called Colonel Tooey ran a "jungle river cruises" business in Florida back in the 1930s and put a bunch of rhesus macaque monkeys on an island to show off to the tourists. It turns out that macaques are pretty good at swimming, and they adapt really well to the local climate, and they're also susceptible to diseases which they can pass on to humans ..... which is how Florida ended up with a giant troupe of 300 herpes-infected monkeys running wild over hundreds of miles of territory.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/11/florida-rhesus-monkeys-herpes-running-wild-invasive-species/

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

90s Cringe Rock posted:

https://magazine.atavist.com/american-hippopotamus

For some reason authors write endless stories about "what if the confederates won" but no-one ever writes about the world where this was done.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Hippo-River-Marrow-Stories/dp/1250176433

There you go.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Bless u

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And now they're an invasive pest species running wild all over the country. :(

Of course, what did they think deer were?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Of course the real lesson we can take away from this is that we need to start up an illegal underground cassowary fighting tournament

A Great Emu War was one thing, but for a Great Cassowary War you'd need a lot more firepower than a few soldiers with Lewis guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAZ1X9TWrZA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Antivehicular posted:

When I was a small child, my mom used to take me to an exotic pet store on the semi-regular, possibly for aquarium supplies but maybe just to let me gawk at the animals. It was one of those tiny, one-crazy-person-type businesses, and I have a very distinct, bizarre memory of catching a glimpse of an emu or rhea running around in the back room. I kind of wonder if it was a dream, because surely even the craziest Exotic Pet Guy in Alaska wouldn't have kept a goddamn emu in the back room, but... who fuckin' knows.

You'd think that, but in the mid-2000s someone was discovered to be keeping a tiger in a Manhattan apartment

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When I was a FedEx man in Texas there was a ranch with ~20 zebras that I used to say hello to every day. There were also camels, alpacas, and a couple of ostriches on my route. Unfortunately the guy with the exotic big cats was next route over.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah my dad also had a friend who lived in a double wide trailer and had a 10ft fence for his backyard he kept a lionness in. They had a sweet family picture with the whole family and the lion stretched out laying down in front of them.

I'm starting to realize my childhood was not normal...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

“To say a tiger is an "outside" animal is an understatement that is best appreciated when a tiger is inside.” - John Vaillant, The Tiger

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Olive! posted:

Of course, what did they think deer were?

Well...

Intruder posted:

Also apparently there's a district court judge in Texas who received half of her campaign donations in the form of deer semen. $51K worth. Of deer semen

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, how do you even get deer semen, do you have domesticated deer, or are they out there like tranquing wild bucks and then harvesting their semen

also how much is it worth, is this like a printer ink situation where $51k worth is like a half gallon, or...

Intruder posted:

It's transported/stored in straws, each straw holds about .5 ml of semen, which in this case was worth $1k per straw. 51 straws total. The best of the best of deer semen can be worth $20k per straw

Leperflesh posted:

I see I see so are there deer farms where they're trying to breed superior deer or what else does one do with especially excellent deer semen

like what is throwing me is the idea that you need to farm loving deer, they're all over the goddamn place and readily available to be hunted if you want some deer meat

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That's some pretty deer cum.

Antivehicular posted:

I kind of wonder if it was a dream, because surely even the craziest Exotic Pet Guy in Alaska wouldn't have kept a goddamn emu in the back room, but... who fuckin' knows.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least one exotic pet guy in Alaska with an indoor Emu friend.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Posting my sig because it contains a funny picture I found in a cattle industry magazine on this subject.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I have sigs not working in the phone app :)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have sigs not working in the phone app :)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

treat yourself to a trip through the UNIVERSAL SEMEN SALES 2020 SIRE DIRECTORY:

http://www.universalsemensales.com/sites/default/files/pages/attachments/2020%20FOR%20WEB.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

:hmmyes: