Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not a commentary on the rest of the film but I just got back from Bombshell and Allison Janney was great in it

Janney continues to the be the actor I come away with the most respect for in the re watch, so I'm glad she's still doing good work.

You know what? Schiff is actually really good too, they just butchered the character of Toby but that's not Schiff's fault, he does the best with what he's given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I just watched 'I, Tanya' and Janney is really great in that. On the other hand, what was Schiff good in? It's not 'The Good Doctor', 'House of Lies' or 'Ballers' which are the places I've seen him. He's the same grumpy, shouty Boomer in all of them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Acinonyx posted:

I just watched 'I, Tanya' and Janney is really great in that. On the other hand, what was Schiff good in? It's not 'The Good Doctor', 'House of Lies' or 'Ballers' which are the places I've seen him. He's the same grumpy, shouty Boomer in all of them.

He's really good in Pentagon Wars!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
We had a bit of a meandering time this week:

However, you should still check it out cuz we talk election nonsense and we want everyone to get hyped for Bernoe.

small personal news I'm gonna be an uncle in 72 hours or so, first child of this generation is... imminent. :kimchi:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1233415121696960512

Zero surprises, his entire campaign is West Wing cosplay

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm now reminded of Leonardo DiCaprio's character in Catch Me If You Can charming Martin Sheen with nothing more than a fake certificate and a firm handshake.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbre5Fs9m8I

Hello again, it's time for another super timely / relevant episode: The return of Lord John Marbury, Duke of Evenham, Marquess of Fartsenbrook, Douchebag of Kent etc. etc.

i'm pretty drunk, i used to live in South Carolina and it's a hellplace don't listen to a single instance of them trying to be relevant. Bernie's gonna win

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Frankly, the british army did a lot more damage in Norther Ireland than the IRA ever did.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That bit about the "just vote!" drive of the 90s spoke to me.

I distinctly remember the day before the 2019 UK General Election I saw that Katie Leung, who played Cho Chang in the Harry Potter movies, tweeted out an endorsement for the Labour party, and because I have brainworms decided to look up if the rest of the Harry Potter cast had said anything political and the only other person was Emma Watson who was promoting some kind of organization of hers that was about encouraging women to vote.

But of course it was all about just the act of voting, never mind who in particular. That kinda stuck in my craw because if you end up encouraging someone to vote for the Tories, well, are you really helping?

And then of course there's that class/privilege divide where you have someone like Watson, arguably the most successful of the Potter cast members, taking this apolitically-political position because it probably doesn't matter much to her who's sitting in 10 Downing Street, while Leung is a C- or D-list actor who's also a POC and they're able to recognize that Labour has good politics.

___

Also, the episode about Stu's Bernie Journey was really touching and cathartic. Keep fighting the good fight.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/said_mitch/status/1234482910931058689

gently caress YOU, SORKIN!

https://twitter.com/said_mitch/status/1234486182635016193

:lol:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

That bit about the "just vote!" drive of the 90s spoke to me.

I just can't believe we're still expected to cotton to the kabuki that everyone boosting Whatever Initiative just wants to increase democracy! They definitely don't have an agenda! or believe in things at all! it makes me insane, and there's a LOT of decorum poisoned wealthy people for whom politics has forever been a team sport that dig in HARD on it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, the episode about Stu's Bernie Journey was really touching and cathartic. Keep fighting the good fight.

thanks I had a hard time recording at first cuz I struggled to put my feelings into words without choking up with tears, phew. Preaching to the choir but Heather's story alone is reason enough to shatter the DNC into a gazillion pieces

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've had this idea turning around in my head since yesterday as I was listening to a podcast about LBJ's The Great Society.

Johnson announced that program at a speech in Ann Arbor, Michigan in May of 1964, and while I'm sure there's some level of misattribution going on in how liberals describe how meaningful the speech was, the idea was that Johnson wanted to appeal directly to the American people, to create a sense of public approval and public desire for the program, so that Congress could be pressured into doing it, rather than LBJ approaching Congress first-and-directly to try and get some legislation passed.

And he also did this for The War on Poverty, and I think most of us are familiar with JFK as an orator, even if he didn't have nearly as much luck getting domestic policy passed.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is, if you're Aaron Sorkin and you're coming at this as your known history, then it feeds into this conception of the Presidency and politics and governance as being motivated and driven by Great Speeches (and besides the fact that Sorkin is himself a writer and probably has an inflated sense of his own profession's worth). Like, you look at this:

quote:

Your imagination and your initiative and your indignation will determine whether we build a society where progress is the servant of our needs, or a society where old values and new visions are buried under unbridled growth. For in your time we have the opportunity to move not only toward the rich society and the powerful society, but upward to the Great Society.

The Great Society rests on abundance and liberty for all. It demands an end to poverty and racial injustice, to which we are totally committed in our time. But that is just the beginning.

The Great Society is a place where every child can find knowledge to enrich his mind and to enlarge his talents. It is a place where leisure is a welcome chance to build and reflect, not a feared cause of boredom and restlessness. It is a place where the city of man serves not only the needs of the body and the demands of commerce but the desire for beauty and the hunger for community. It is a place where man can renew contact with nature. It is a place which honors creation for its own sake and for what is adds to the understanding of the race. It is a place where men are more concerned with the quality of their goals than the quantity of their goods.

But most of all, the Great Society is not a safe harbor, a resting place, a final objective, a finished work. It is a challenge constantly renewed, beckoning us toward a destiny where the meaning of our lives matches the marvelous products of our labor.

And you get to thinking that LBJ managed to pull off what he did because he had some really drat good speechwriters and he managed to inspire enough of the country to change its course, simply by stirring that feeling in them to win over their support.

That might even be a little true!

... then we get back to The West Wing and we find that, okay, even if we grant that Great Speeches can do that, we still have a problem that Bartlet never makes a Great Speech about anything in particular! There's not a Great Speech of him proposing education reform, there's not a Great Speech of him proposing universal healthcare, there's not a Great Speech of him about revitalizing unions.

There might be some moments of him laying sick owns on Republicans, or changing a staffer's mind on a personal level, or even being inspiring during a military confrontation, but none of that is particularly useful in the context of what would be good for the country/what would be good politics.

I guess where I'm going with this is that we tend to rag on Sorkin for having this idea that great speeches can transform politics. Now, I'm not entirely on the side of saying that he's right, but what I am saying is that even if he was right, he never does anything with it!

And, much like Obama, who is a fantastic orator, that waste of a gift is a far deeper condemnation of his politics than the idea that oration and speechwriting doesn't matter.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

I read this when you posted it, btw, and liked it.

Speaking of posting, today's episode rules and is one that I would actually HEARTILY recommend watching, if for nothing else than the forums brewhaha.

Everyone stay safe, stay inside if you can, build your community and fight like hell when the worst comes.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hello again I am necroing my own thread because literally the night after I last posted in it I moved out of new york city and have been wrassling vulnerable family members into various forms of compliance and risk mitigation.

hurray anyway that's not what this thread is about :

Don't Be An rear end in a top hat About Drinking drink whatever the gently caress you want OH DURR I'M GOING TO TAKE A HIGH HORSE ABOUT THE FORM IN WHICH I CONSUME POISON

i hope everyone is coping adequately and as always solidarity

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

*Dramatically hands Gunshow Poophole a piece of paper* "Just four little words*

*one minute later, dramatically shows to note to someone else, it's "Aaron Sorkin loving sucks"*

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
What was the website you were referencing? Bread and something? I was listening while driving and couldn't write it down.

I'm glad you guys didn't die yet, I was running low on podcasts!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Acinonyx posted:

What was the website you were referencing? Bread and something? I was listening while driving and couldn't write it down.

I'm glad you guys didn't die yet, I was running low on podcasts!

check the show notes!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
This week's episode has gone from SUCK to BLOW

I'm surrounded by assholes!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The segment about the computer chip recall pinged some dark recess of my mind and I recalled an incident with Intel recalling a lot of its CPUs back in the 90s because of inaccurate floating-point operation results

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug

This was in 1994, so no longer recent even at the time this season was current, and (obviously) was not enough to sink Intel nor to trigger a bailout, but it's the closest thing that I could think of

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

The segment about the computer chip recall pinged some dark recess of my mind and I recalled an incident with Intel recalling a lot of its CPUs back in the 90s because of inaccurate floating-point operation results

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug

This was in 1994, so no longer recent even at the time this season was current, and (obviously) was not enough to sink Intel nor to trigger a bailout, but it's the closest thing that I could think of

tbf $475m against earnings is not chump change so, maybe this is what I'm thinking of.

the only other reference point specifically with chips I could directly dredge up was literally Meltdown / Spectre stuff which of course was just sorta swept under the rug. and that was less than five years ago.

maybe some computer company bankruptcy or whatever which led me down a wiki rabbit hole to discover that Gateway2000 was founded in (drum roll) Sioux City Fuckin Iowa, headquarters in North Sioux. lollll I wonder if I met any Waitt relatives on my BernieJourney

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Toby is the woooorst.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
we finally scraped up enough time and mental fortitude to record again

A jam packed episode just so much poo poo happening including what should have been a labor dispute but DEMOCRATS

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I missed a weekly update by one day, but here we go!

An episode half dedicated to ensmoothening the administration's collective brain to commit extrajudicial murder

Great!

Of a diplomat!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i thought i remembered this episode, turns out i only remembered like ten percent of it and the other 90 was terrible in a completely different way

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Doc Hawkins posted:

i thought i remembered this episode, turns out i only remembered like ten percent of it and the other 90 was terrible in a completely different way

there's just a shitload of uh, terrible character traits being shoehorned into people

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I think there's a point where you call Toby Josh, but I can't be arsed to actually verify.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

now i am angry at how many west wing characters i can name

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

now i am angry at how many west wing characters i can name

The fact that my brain remembers so much of this stupid show is half the reason we made this podcast. Every time someone would bring up a West Wing thing in a post I would be like "gently caress I remember that episode, it was so much bullshit!" and then Stu and I found a way to take that thought process and stretch it out into entertaining banter!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Black Vera Wang: what's interesting to me this episode is that the Republican operative does end up being exactly as competitive and cut-throat (and willing to actually do politics) as we'd expect them to be. There's some level of tonal dissonance against the idea of a Reasonable Republican that the show also tries to promote.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this

this is a podcast that I needed and I didn't know

I watched West Wing as a teen for several episodes mostly because I wondered where they would end up with all that because I was fascinated with the contrast between the show and real life with the Iraq War getting worse and worse, like expecting the characters to stop being dumbasses and acknowledge the world they are in

after I got older and began to understand ideology and class consciousness, I developed a visceral antipathy to the West Wing and all that stuff, which I found bizarre back then because I didn't get why was the case. It took me a good while yet to understand that it was because not only represented a specific odious manifestation of liberalism (which Sorkin seems to be a conduit of), but further contributed to its distortion of morality and perception of the world

so, kudos to you guys to provide me with some much needed disassembling of that awful thing

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

oh yeah, that reminds me: have you seen any ads for "Masterclasses?" how about the one where aaron sorkin tells you how to write television? some of the hosts of the podcast chapo trap house actually bought and watched it and talked about it in a few recent special episodes. turns out there was still more to say about that rear end in a top hat. if you're itt you probably would like them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you thought Sorkin predicting Democrats throwing feminism under the bus was prescient, the next episode is going to be a real banger

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
thinking about the last time we recorded an episode was before George Floyd was killed makes my brain do klein bottle contortions

anyway here's The Finale of Season 3 and it's a doozy from a television standpoint. Politics standpoint... it's the same old junk but Faster!

Solidarity with everyone engaged in tearing this stupid system down. A better world is possible! But it's not in Season 4. Which we'll start next week.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Listening to you two talk yourselves into rationalizing 9/11 being an inside job ("the American people would back a war on Qumar if we let the Golden Gate Bridge plot happen!") had me cackling in my seat.

2. There's something fundamentally disturbing about recalling that Obama staffers were inspired by The West Wing, and then putting this episode together with Jeremy Scahill's work on Obama's drone program and its alleged multiple layers of legal fictions.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Listening to you two talk yourselves into rationalizing 9/11 being an inside job ("the American people would back a war on Qumar if we let the Golden Gate Bridge plot happen!") had me cackling in my seat.

Bombs with Qumari signatures can't melt suspension cables! :tinfoil:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I stilll heartily chuckle over them identifying the signature of a qumari funded bomb or whatever as being ANFO

A because it's what every loving non military explosive giant bomb is made from and B because it's what Timothy mcveigh, decidedly NOT qumari terrorist, used and frankly probably made famous in the public / viewership's consciousness

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
this guy is a real piece o work

https://twitter.com/BradleyWhitford/status/1273155595751895040

lol. this fails on several levels, conceptually, intelllectually...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

they want you to vote for a little bit of white nationalism in order to stave off a full-blown infection

many such cases!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
It's ELECTION SEASON BABY!

I didn't mention this while we were recording but I think, if I'm not mistaken, this episode has the first laugh-out-loud for Being Actually Funny bit of the show for me so far. The first time Toby is obligated to fulfill his lost wager to Josh is legitimately hilariously timed and well written, and then the bridge meltdown is also pretty funny.

we're losing our edge. struggling to preserve our brainwrinkles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1276304058794545160

I saw this tweet and all I could think about was "Oh my god they're going to do an Isaac and Ishmael for Black Lives Matter"