Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

It's weird. This is one of the only games where if people hack, players will perk up and actually go spectate when they die and attempt to confirm and kick them if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I don’t think you can do that anymore. If you can, I don’t know how.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I haven't played in almost a decade, since I finally finished the stupid robot mode. I've got a lot of reading to do. :allears:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hihohe posted:

It's weird. This is one of the only games where if people hack, players will perk up and actually go spectate when they die and attempt to confirm and kick them if need be.

that's how it used to be and then valve literally removed the ability to spectate or change teams, so anyone who isn't flying around like goku raining crits on the other team won't get kicked

meet your match is the worst update that has ever been performed on any game, ever

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Ariong posted:

I don’t think you can do that anymore. If you can, I don’t know how.

I'm talking your team death spectate. A guy says someone on you team is hacking. When you die you click over to him to see how hes doing. Couple of snap to heads too much and BAM! Get him outta here

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

that's how it used to be and then valve literally removed the ability to spectate or change teams, so anyone who isn't flying around like goku raining crits on the other team won't get kicked

meet your match is the worst update that has ever been performed on any game, ever

people can still scroll through teammates' spectate cams while waiting to respawn, and players are more likely to do so these days

agree 100% on meet your match though

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Yeah gently caress meet your match. Does anyone even play competitive?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Hihohe posted:

Yeah gently caress meet your match. Does anyone even play competitive?

Any time I pick competetive it's either 1 hour wait times or multiple matches with the same people, one of which is also hacking.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

QwertySanchez posted:

They can't really do anything with it other than the widowmaker so it'd be just some other ammo pool. Unless when pyros used it it ate their flamethrower ammo. That'd be a pretty neat mechanic.

but yeah it'd be annoying if you're engy and you can't repair stuff because the pyro sat with you keeps eating all the metal. If you're gonna be a pybro you probably would want the detonator or scorch shot anyway. or switch to the regular shotgun so you're not hindering your engineer. you'll be getting basically infinite ammo from the dispenser anyway.

Also give pyro family business.

Have the pyromaker use mmmph instead of metal.

Give heavy a secondary that's just a mini dispenser strapped to his back that has like twice the range and half the heal/ammo rate of a lvl 1. A melee called the Pootis Puncher that lets you charge up a mega heal burst equivalent to a lvl 3 dispenser if you have the backpack. Let heavy be fat engie AND fat medic.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

are there servers people like to get on or does it even work that way anymore?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Galaxander posted:

The family business is pretty much an upgrade to the stock shotgun. It's inconsequential on the heavy because, as you pointed out, the other secondary options are far more useful generally. On another class, it could be an issue.

Don't really see how it would be an issue, yeah it's technically better but not really in a way that would be all that noticeable on the large scale

QwertySanchez posted:

Yeah, I've been saying for years that a few classes should be able to switch out their primary weapon for another secondary. There could be some interesting synergies (jarate and smg, shotgun and buff banner, food and shotgun, crit cola and a pistol/cleaver if you're a melee superstar) while giving the big downside of not having a primary weapon, they'd totally balance out for scout, soldier, pyro, sniper, engy and heavy.

I've always wanted to see Fat Scout get the encouragement demoknight gets. Give the heavy a primary that's just huge revolver or maybe a backpack that lets him capture points twice as quickly and some other buff to make up for not having the skillhose.

I don't really think it would work for classes besides Heavy(as the loss in range would be made up by an increase in both burst damage and mobility), especially in regards to Sniper as you forget that his SMG's are mediocre(indeed the only guns in the game that are probably outright worse are the Righteous Bison, the Manmelter, the Babyface's Blaster, and the Backscatter)

IronicDongz posted:

what you mean: shotgun and then food in secondary slot
my eternal dream: shotguns in both primary and secondary slots on heavy letting you dual wield shotguns

Honestly that would probably be a really bad idea for a lot of reasons

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I don't really think it would work for classes besides Heavy(as the loss in range would be made up by an increase in both burst damage and mobility), especially in regards to Sniper as you forget that his SMG's are mediocre(indeed the only guns in the game that are probably outright worse are the Righteous Bison, the Manmelter, the Babyface's Blaster, and the Backscatter)

the medic technically has syringe guns ok

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dabir posted:

the medic technically has syringe guns ok

Well I wasn't counting Stock weapons and the other Syringe Guns all have traits that offset the fact that they're not good for damage dealing

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I guess the sniper would be a bad one, yeah. I just really wanna try going cleaner's carbine, jarate and bushwacka.

Sniper needs a new SMG. Maybe one that synergises with the bazaar bargain so the more heads you've got the faster it fires or more accurate it is. Or maybe just minicrits on headshots. Give it the ambassador's spread.

Or work the widowmaker mechanic into it, every bullet that hits an enemy has a chance to put one back into the magazine.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The syringe guns are all amazing at doing damage the trick is though you have to be running backwards.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

QwertySanchez posted:

I guess the sniper would be a bad one, yeah. I just really wanna try going cleaner's carbine, jarate and bushwacka.

Sniper needs a new SMG. Maybe one that synergises with the bazaar bargain so the more heads you've got the faster it fires or more accurate it is. Or maybe just minicrits on headshots. Give it the ambassador's spread.

Or work the widowmaker mechanic into it, every bullet that hits an enemy has a chance to put one back into the magazine.

Maybe make it have a burst fire mechanic, one of the main problems with the two existing SMG's is that they have incredibly piss poor accuracy, so they don't even make for very good backup weapons for Sniper most of the time(literally the only time I use one is the Cleaner's Carbine with the Huntsman cause of the latter's small ammo pool, not to mention they sync together surprisingly well in regards to the former's Crikey mechanic), so one that is a lot more accurate would be much more practical, not sure what additional gimmicks or downsides it would have though

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Rather than buff smgs, nerf all other sniper weapons, imo. wa ha ha

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Sniper needs a boomerang and blow dart primary. Both projectiles. Boomerang comes back the instant it hits something so it can be spammed in close range. Blow dart does same damage as a charged huntsman shot, no head shots, marks for death.

I have so many stupid weapon ideas for side grades.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Galaxander posted:

Rather than buff smgs, nerf all other sniper weapons, imo. wa ha ha

Ban the Razorback imo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
buff the amby to do 125 on point-blank headshots

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Sniper needs a boomerang and blow dart primary. Both projectiles. Boomerang comes back the instant it hits something so it can be spammed in close range. Blow dart does same damage as a charged huntsman shot, no head shots, marks for death.

I have so many stupid weapon ideas for side grades.

I used to think about the practicality of a mjolnir-esque primary for soldier that would be a big fuckoff hammer he could throw with a similar mechanic. Have it basically work otherwise like the direct hit, minus the airshot thing. Minicrits on anything it hits on it's way back.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

OxySnake posted:

Ban the Razorback imo.

Extremely difficult to salvage weapon. Fully passive, huge hindrance to the alleged counter to sniper. It's so wild how different the understanding of the sniper was in the early days of the game vs. how it actually is now.
Expectation:
Snipers main job will be killing overhealed heavies. Probably won't be able to reliably headshot many other classes. Definitely in constant danger from spies due to being scoped in most of the time.

Reality:
If a medic peeks around the corner it is deleted. Spies are a hail-mary at best.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Galaxander posted:

Extremely difficult to salvage weapon. Fully passive, huge hindrance to the alleged counter to sniper. It's so wild how different the understanding of the sniper was in the early days of the game vs. how it actually is now.
Expectation:
Snipers main job will be killing overhealed heavies. Probably won't be able to reliably headshot many other classes. Definitely in constant danger from spies due to being scoped in most of the time.

Reality:
If a medic peeks around the corner it is deleted. Spies are a hail-mary at best.

like the danger shield the only way to save the razorback is to make it do something completely different from what it did originally. Not that the danger shield is good now, it's actually mostly useless, but that's much better for the overall game than what it did before.

at this point they should just make it do something stupid, like unleashing a big electricity blast behind you every couple of seconds while you're scoped like a huo-long heater or something

or just make it a demoknight shield that lets you do charges with your melee weapon but requires you to get headshots to refill the meter

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
*about to charge in arguing about the honor of refusing to accept overcharge as a sniper*

cock hero flux posted:

or just make it a demoknight shield that lets you do charges with your melee weapon but requires you to get headshots to refill the meter

Okay actually this sounds fun enough I'd accept it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I used to think about the practicality of a mjolnir-esque primary for soldier that would be a big fuckoff hammer he could throw with a similar mechanic. Have it basically work otherwise like the direct hit, minus the airshot thing. Minicrits on anything it hits on it's way back.

Oh for me is a rocket punch for soldier. He can load rockets into a glove that propel him the way he’s looking. The more rockets he loads the farther he travels and the more damage he does.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are there servers people like to get on or does it even work that way anymore?
Repeating the question!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Oh for me is a rocket punch for soldier. He can load rockets into a glove that propel him the way he’s looking. The more rockets he loads the farther he travels and the more damage he does.

:bisonyes:

PMush Perfect posted:

Repeating the question!

Yes and no. 90% (or more) of the player population just hits quick play and gets stuffed into a random valve-run server

There are still community servers but most of them shut down when the players stopped showing up

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm a pretty okay Medic, but I think I threw my back out trying to carry this team.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Repeating the question!

There are mainly super modded servers, then there are the big server chains like Skial. If your looking for a vanilla gameplay experience you’ll need to join a pug group probably.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Where do y'all play?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Used to play on CSN before that died, now I play on a little network called "quickplay."

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Used to play on CSN before that died, now I play on a little network called "quickplay."

Crit Sandvich?

The best of TF2 servers. :smith:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ArfJason posted:

the widowmaker loving rules and back when i had my aim on point i never stopped shooting

Absolutely. I can forgive a lot of, well, a lack of Engineer unlocks, but if there's one to really shine, it's the Widowmaker.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pre-patch Rescue Ranger + Wrangler. :discourse:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Victory Position posted:

Absolutely. I can forgive a lot of, well, a lack of Engineer unlocks, but if there's one to really shine, it's the Widowmaker.

I only got kritz with the widowmaker three timed and every single time it was beautiful

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Pre-patch Rescue Ranger + Wrangler. :discourse:

Obligatory Sigafoo Save.

https://youtu.be/Qbl4XtPneG0?t=2m14s

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

OxySnake posted:

Crit Sandvich?

The best of TF2 servers. :smith:

Oh my, yes.

Speaking of which it was fun the other night being able to jump on a pseudo Lost Continents game! Coming back and actually doing half decent, not because I'm better now but because most of the people are just really out of practice!

Orzo and a few others still absolutely ran a train on my rear end

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I seem to have gotten really bad in my time away. Can folks give me some links to videos for mid-to-high-level tips for Heavy and/or Medic? And/or good maps/servers to practice specific skills on? And yes, I know ArraySeven exists.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

I seem to have gotten really bad in my time away. Can folks give me some links to videos for mid-to-high-level tips for Heavy and/or Medic? And/or good maps/servers to practice specific skills on? And yes, I know ArraySeven exists.

I’m not a heavy or medic main but I found this video that’s a little old, but is focused around Highlander Play.

https://youtu.be/_RLA4XJAusE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Am I losing my mind or didn't the Sniper Rifle have bodyshot damage variance before? What happened to that.