Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I liked Graham going off exploring for the toilet, and I actually commented to my wife that it was weird they had that line because you don't often get mundane things like going to the bathroom referenced in tv shows like Who because it raises all sorts of questions about the companions getting to one and realising they are in an age without modern plumbing, and then that little joke paid off.

I wonder what changed that they have started putting cold opens back into the show the last couple of episodes, I'm glad, much prefer a bit of build up to the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What's kind of hilarious is I was upset that the house they were in was a rinky dink little mansion in the middle of nowhere when someone like Byron would have lived in a massive Georgian Manor with well tended gardens and opulance popular in the Regancy.

Then I remembered that Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstien while with Byron in Switzerland not England. I googled it and that sure as hell looked like the house from outside.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I got mild Chimes of Midnight vibes from the "people dying in a spooky mansion" premise

The Doctor's responses to getting flirted at were great too

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
For some reason I had to think of the Slitheen and to this day I wonder if them blinking was added as a CGI effect or it was part of the puppet. Does anyone know? Silly question, but it's been almost ten years since I saw the first episodes with them and I always thought this little addition made them much more life-like. Oh well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are they the ones that farted all the time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Cojawfee posted:

Are they the ones that farted all the time.

I'm assuming this is a question, and yes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Edward Mass posted:

I'm assuming this is a question, and yes.

That almost got me to completely stop watching Doctor Who.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Episode was good, but as soon as the episode started I knew I was going to be a little disappointed. Frankenstein can be argued to have started the modern Science Fiction genre, and given the modern trend by some males to try and own that genre it's even better that Shelley was a teenage woman when she wrote it.

The fact that Shelley came up with something so new and different is an amazing piece of her legacy. Having it be inspired by actually meeting a Frankensteins monster weakens that legacy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/spaceponds/status/1229683706325020673?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my loving God....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUHiIRXeDKQ

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Two Doctors Part 2: 60th Anniversary Edition sure is weird!

Also does Bradley Walsh actually ever age?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh man, he’s doing his 8 voice. Capaldi must have been having a field day.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm here for the Nun doing Eleven's dance

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, I have a pretty huge backyard and a big garage to work in. I think I have my wife convinced that we need a unique shed for garden tools.

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=9.0

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

So, I have a pretty huge backyard and a big garage to work in. I think I have my wife convinced that we need a unique shed for garden tools.

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=9.0

That’s always been my dream, to have one at home. But I always feel like I’d be endlessly disappointed there’s no console room inside. Unless... :thunk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

That’s always been my dream, to have one at home. But I always feel like I’d be endlessly disappointed there’s no console room inside. Unless... :thunk:

I tried to figure out a way to make that happen but it just won't work. We're going to have a single bay garage with a small shop built in the back corner of the yard and I was thinking, maybe make the shop space a control room/rec room but it would a bad use of space. So if I can bring my wood working skills up to this level it will just be a shed in the corner of the yard.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My dream was to have a big enough house that I could have a room off to one side just filled with junk and old furniturecovered by sheets, and then in the corner of that have a police box standing. Then if you went through the door, it led to a much larger console room you could only access through the TARDIS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

My dream was to have a big enough house that I could have a room off to one side just filled with junk and old furniturecovered by sheets, and then in the corner of that have a police box standing. Then if you went through the door, it led to a much larger console room you could only access through the TARDIS.

Well if I was fuckin rich hell yeah that sounds awesome. I'll just be content to look out my window and see it in the corner of the yard.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh yeah, it’s always been ‘insanely rich’ idea spitballing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, he’s doing his 8 voice. Capaldi must have been having a field day.

Ah, INNNNNTERESTIIIIIIING...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

To the half-dozen people it matters to, all four seasons of Torchwood are back on BBC's iPlayer

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I've only seen bits of Torchwood, but that's absolutely by choice based on the shittiness of what I have seen. I might actually bite the bullet though and take the chance to watch it all. I mean, it can't all be tacky gore and swears and shagging... right?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Voting Floater posted:

I've only seen bits of Torchwood, but that's absolutely by choice based on the shittiness of what I have seen. I might actually bite the bullet though and take the chance to watch it all. I mean, it can't all be tacky gore and swears and shagging... right?

Torchwood includes the line "when was the last time you came so long and so hard you forgot where you were?"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Voting Floater posted:

Just watch Children of Earth, it's the only good Torchwood.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Then be like the rest of us and watch the rest because you're sad lonely and bored

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love Torchwood. It's bad, sometimes, but in ways I find very charming, and it's only very rarely boring.

The entire thing is camp as hell though, even the third season, so I reckon you've got to have the right mindset to enjoy the show.

I appreciate that the show is essentially about incompetent people as much as it is itself incompetent. Throw in the monumental amounts of death and a lot of horniness and you've got the kind of hot mess that Lexx was, only with a slightly more appealing cast.

In the end, I think it's a show that was capable of being very good television when it wanted to be, but I don't think it wanted to be that at all. It mostly wanted to be a self-parody.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

marktheando posted:

Eh, iirc it's rocky like most new shows but starts picking up. Like I was just thinking about S1 Ep12 , "Captain Jack Harkness" the other day; I want to watch that one again, I have nothing but good memories of it. My takeaway --- bearing in mind I haven't watched since it aired --- was very hit-or-miss, but picked up a bit in the back half of S1 and got better as time went on.

The_Doctor posted:

There's a bar in NYC that does this in a way. At the back of the place, there's an old school phone booth (like the kind Superman ducks into to change) that just looks like part of their decor. If you go in, however, there's a door behind the phone booth, leading to a "secret" 2nd bar that's themed like a Prohibition speak-easy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Torchwood was the kind of show you'd have expected in the late 90's/early 00's on HBO or Showtime, but tied into the world of Doctor Who.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love that Torchwood has an episode where the afterlife is utterly, totally and 100% definitely concluded to be a horrible neverending hellscape of nothing forever, only for the next episode to reveal that Heaven Is Real, Actually. And then it goes straight back to there being nothing after death.

You'd have an alien invasion followed by an episode about rehousing people followed by a cop show detective mystery followed by a wedding farce.

Edward Mass posted:

Torchwood was the kind of show you'd have expected in the late 90's/early 00's on HBO or Showtime, but tied into the world of Doctor Who.

Showtime. Absolutely Showtime.

Kinda unsurprising that it was picked up by Starz really, given that it's spent most of its existence trying to be Showtime from the late 90's.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

marktheando posted:

Or as I like to call it, the complete vindication of Prime Minster Harriet Jones.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Build-a-Who

Would love to see a Twelve or Eight though

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

marktheando posted:

CommonShore posted:

Then be like the rest of us and watch the rest because you're sad lonely and bored

Goddammit, this is actually what I'm going to do isn't it. Suppose I've gotta watch something once series 12 ends and we have to wait 4 years for the next one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Build-a-Who

Would love to see a Twelve or Eight though

Yeah, I’m mad it’s only 13 and 10. :(

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I’m mad it’s only 13 and 10. :(

Bears don't wear a fez.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Shameless plug, but thinking about that Torchwood episode reminded me of this remix track I made after watching it and taking a fancy to "White Cliffs of Dover".

https://khate.bandcamp.com/track/white-cliffs-of-dover

Surprised I haven't been hit with a C&D on it, especially since it has MURRRAYYY GOOOOLD in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All Torchwood is bad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhyno posted:

All Torchwood is bad.

So you're saying that you've watched all torchwood

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Of course I have. Hell I watched Class.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I found Class inoffensive, although I was disappointed it went to audio plays after the reveal at the end of the last episode

OgNar posted:

Bears don't wear a fez.

Why ya gotta do Bongo the Bear dirty like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

I found Class inoffensive, although I was disappointed it went to audio plays after the reveal at the end of the last episode

BF's contract doesn't allow them to set anything after season 1, so none of the plays have done anything with that. It's bizarre.