Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Cheers for that, I'll pay them a visit in the morning.

Everything turned out pretty well. The rub for the pork was something I stumbled upon by chance a year or so ago. It's roughly equal parts pepper, cumin, mustard seeds and coriander seeds that I threw in the spice grinder without following any particular recipe. It turned out so well it's now my go-to for any pork I do. I have no idea if it belongs to a particular style of BBQ or whatever, presumably something like it has been tried before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Any salt in that rub, or just spice? It kind of reminds me of a Montreal steak spice.

those look amazing. I like the spice bark. Usually I don't put that much on.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
From the farm near me that sells the goat meat (and rose veal apparently)

quote:

February’s supper club is inspired by the traditional art of smoking. Menu coming soon
BYOB
29th February 2020 from 7.30pm

SOLD OUT

Godfuckingdamnit

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

Any salt in that rub, or just spice? It kind of reminds me of a Montreal steak spice.

those look amazing. I like the spice bark. Usually I don't put that much on.

There’s a little bit of salt in it, not much though.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I picked up some beef ribs from the supermarket on the way home today to see if using the maze will give a bit more smoke flavour with the pellet grill. I haven't used the maze for ages and I'd forgotten what a prick of a thing it is to get going.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I've never seen or thought of putting a lump on the pellets to light them. Does it work well?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

They were all burnt a couple of hours later when I checked the meat. I’m not sure if they went up in flames or smouldered though.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

They were all burnt a couple of hours later when I checked the meat. I’m not sure if they went up in flames or smouldered though.

Judging by your pic, the heat bead started the smouldering further along the maze as well. Was probably hot enough to cause it to ignite.

I've found supermarket beef ribs to be back ribs instead of short ribs, so they won't have as much meat and will likely not be as good.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Back ribs are great, they just usually don't have a lot of meat on them

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Back ribs are great, they just usually don't have a lot of meat on them

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Goddamn I did some 3/2/1 ribs today and I went to unwrap the foil after the 2 and they were already falling apart. It was basically a pile of meat and bones when all was said and done and it tasted phenomenal.

I've alway wondered why people do 3/2/1 or other variations with ribs. It's just as good to just leave them there uncovered for 5-6 hours without wrapping and then saucing at the end. They've always ended up perfectly tender, not disintegrating, and with a great bark. YMMV, I guess.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
On ribs I made the mistake of "letting the sauce set" while it was on the grill and a flare up blackened like 1/3 of my ribs! The rest was fine though. I was working off that fat guy on youtube that puts a stick of butter in everything's recipe for once.

I like his base for a basic rub though, that goes on everything but fish.

Edit:
I don't think any fireboard goons saw this so..

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I splurged on the fireboard meat thermometer a few months ago and like it pretty good, may even get the fan controllers some day, but I wonder if anyone knows a way to set louder alarms on it in the meantime?

If I took a nap there's no way that quiet beep beep sound would wake me to adjust a vent.

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009
I’m buying a Traeger pro 34 from a friend of mine after years of using a WSM. Maybe I’m misremembering, but I could have sworn there were posts a while ago about how their pellets weren’t that great. Anyone have any input or recommendations for what might be better or are the Traeger pellets pretty decent?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
IIRC, the complaint was that the pellets themselves are made from a cheaper wood and infused with the natural oils of more expensive woods. The hickory pellets do not actually contain any hickory wood. Just hickory oil.

There's an ongoing class action lawsuit against Traeger .

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

IT BURNS posted:

I've alway wondered why people do 3/2/1 or other variations with ribs. It's just as good to just leave them there uncovered for 5-6 hours without wrapping and then saucing at the end. They've always ended up perfectly tender, not disintegrating, and with a great bark. YMMV, I guess.

I do the same, and my ribs gently caress.

Maybe I'll have to try the other method once just to see, but just smoking the drat things till they pass the bend test has always worked great for me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

IIRC, the complaint was that the pellets themselves are made from a cheaper wood and infused with the natural oils of more expensive woods. The hickory pellets do not actually contain any hickory wood. Just hickory oil.

There's an ongoing class action lawsuit against Traeger .

This is probably all true, but I thought I read somewhere where the oil in teh Traeger pellets is supposed to also lube the auger as well? Maybe that's bullshit, but who knows.

I've used Traeger and non-Traeger pellets in my 575 and I don't notice any bit of difference.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

qutius posted:

I do the same, and my ribs gently caress.

Maybe I'll have to try the other method once just to see, but just smoking the drat things till they pass the bend test has always worked great for me.

You do that because then I don’t have to endure imperfect ribs in the name of science.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Question on pellet smokers: since it's burning pellet fuel the entire time, do things end up getting oversmoked ?

For things like beef short ribs I've only used smoke for a couple hours and then let them bake with my MES.

I know some things like pork shoulder can take all the smoke, but I'm hesitant to try a brisket or a turkey with smoke for a full cook.

Generally I stick to Applewood for everything. Thoughts ?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

jonathan posted:

Question on pellet smokers: since it's burning pellet fuel the entire time, do things end up getting oversmoked ?

For things like beef short ribs I've only used smoke for a couple hours and then let them bake with my MES.

I know some things like pork shoulder can take all the smoke, but I'm hesitant to try a brisket or a turkey with smoke for a full cook.

Generally I stick to Applewood for everything. Thoughts ?

I haven’t had mine for long and I’m still experimenting a bit but so far I’ve found the opposite to be the case, the smoke flavour picked up has been extremely delicate. I haven’t done any long cooks (8hr+) yet but given smoke is mostly picked up at the start of the cook I don’t think it would make much difference.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

jonathan posted:

oversmoked

Wut?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

It's a thing.

Pellet smokers give a subtle smoke flavour compared to other grills. I think people have a tendency to go heavy on smoke flavour normally, and, if the propaganda is to be believed, pellet smokers give the appropriate amount of smoke flavour.

I've not had an overpowering level of smoke flavour from my Traeger, despite a 14+ hour cook.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Fall Dog posted:

It's a thing.

Pellet smokers give a subtle smoke flavour compared to other grills. I think people have a tendency to go heavy on smoke flavour normally, and, if the propaganda is to be believed, pellet smokers give the appropriate amount of smoke flavour.

I've not had an overpowering level of smoke flavour from my Traeger, despite a 14+ hour cook.

I think it’s probably because the fire pot is fan forced so you get a very lean burn and a lot of the potential flavour compounds are completely burnt due to all the excess oxygen.

Compare that to an offset or an egg/kettle/drum where the air is only drawn in via the natural convection, I would expect less oxygen, therefore less complete combustion and more strongly flavoured smoke; sometimes too much when the fire is choked and you get a lot of white smoke with creosote.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah charcoal and pellets aren't putting out creosote the way wood does so it's harder to turn it bitter but it can still happen.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What are you folks paying for pork butt per lb?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i try to hold out for 1ish a pound and absolutely refuse to pay over 2/lb

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It fluctuates around $1.50.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

2ish for boneless, 1.50 for bone in, if I’m patient. 3/2 if I’m not.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

converted, $3.70 USD/lb for boneless, $3.20 for bone-in

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BraveUlysses posted:

Basically this. $1.50/lb is my top, but I've paid $1/lb or less a few times.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

BraveUlysses posted:

:same:
I always have a couple in the freezer from when they are on sale at .99/lb

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

:same:
I always have a couple in the freezer from when they are on sale at .99/lb

I'm legit tempted to buy a separate freezer to be able to do this. But the only room I have is my garage and I live in the desert.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ok thanks, they are going around 1.99 pound per now which I just find sort of nutz. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

And when at .99 I buy them all. Pro-tip...don't let one slip out of the bags on a hot summer day inside your car.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I'm legit tempted to buy a separate freezer to be able to do this. But the only room I have is my garage and I live in the desert.

I bought a standup freezer for my garage just to keep meat in after I bought my Traeger. To do so, I had to move my kegerator inside to my kitchen. Life is much better.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Dango Bango posted:

We have a chest freezer from Costco in our uninsulated garage and we also live in a desert. It's great.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How long do you keep stuff deep frozen? I have noticed some March 2019 markings on stuff in my upright freezer, and I’m not sure how seriously to take the “6 months if frozen” advice. They’re vac-sealed and the freezer doesn’t have a defrost cycle, and it gets opened twice a week, so I figure that has to extend it beyond what I would get in some crappy top-door freezer that swings 5F every day. Right?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've never worried about how old meat in my freezer is. I usually eat it within a year in any case.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Frozen food should last pretty much indefinitely from a food safety point of view. From a quality point of view vac sealed meat should be good for 2-3 years at least.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, pretty much indefinite.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I really should try and fix my smoker this weekend.
It's been so long since I've smoked any meats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I fixed it.

Soon....