Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bees on Wheat posted:

I am trying to resist spending a shameful amount on bulbs right now. I don't even have anywhere to plant them, but god drat I want some red spider lilies. I can't imagine they would do well inside, and I don't have anywhere to plant them outside. My stupid apartment doesn't even have a patio.. :sigh:
I don’t know that spider lillies would make a good potted plant. They really don’t like being moved in my experience and seem to take 2-3 years to get used to their new home before they bloom again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I'm on my third attempt of sprouting plum seeds but it looks like I'm loving up the opening of the pit every time.

I was sure that I was careful cracking the pit with a hammer this time (as I was last time) and on initial inspection everything seemed fine, but sure enough a week into my napkin germination attempt I unfold it and all three seeds are cracked and splintered.

Any amazing suggestions for getting a pit open correctly? :sigh:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

Man I'm on my third attempt of sprouting plum seeds but it looks like I'm loving up the opening of the pit every time.

I was sure that I was careful cracking the pit with a hammer this time (as I was last time) and on initial inspection everything seemed fine, but sure enough a week into my napkin germination attempt I unfold it and all three seeds are cracked and splintered.

Any amazing suggestions for getting a pit open correctly? :sigh:

Are you just like against rooting or buying a potted plant? This seed cracking poo poo seems like a huge pain in the rear end lol

But to be helpful, I found one article that suggested using a nutcracker instead of a hammer for finer control. Maybe that would help??

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I don't think plums come true from seed either if that's a consideration.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hm. I've tried to read up on planting plums and haven't heard that you can't plant from seed but I'm also very very green at this.

Nothing against rooting or buying a plant other than I thought it would be enjoyable to say I did it right from seed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Martytoof posted:

Hm. I've tried to read up on planting plums and haven't heard that you can't plant from seed but I'm also very very green at this.

Nothing against rooting or buying a plant other than I thought it would be enjoyable to say I did it right from seed.
I was thinking of apples that don't come true from seed at all, and thinking they were more closely related to plums than they are. Looks like most stone fruits do come relatively true from seed? Most plums are not self fertile and are cross pollinated so there is probably going to be some variation in fruit quality etc.

Most fruit trees are grafted so that they are genetically identical to each within each variety and produce a predictable fruit-your seed grown one should make a plum tree that makes plums, the plums just might be a little different from the one you just ate.

Have you tried eating the pit and pooping out the seeds AS GOD INTENDED?

I don't actually have any useful advice, sorry :( All I know about plums is that a 'Methley' is a good variety that's delicious and makes good jelly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The poop is last resort ;)

I’m pretty set on plums in the next few years so i think my plan will be to try seeds alongside a graft that I want to buy as well so I can get the satisfaction of at least one viable tree :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can grow the plum seedlings of your dreams, then graft some beloved cultivars onto them.

Put a tree from the nursery in the ground this year and kill two birds with one stone: it will give you scion material for grafting and it will be a productive tree in its own right.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Platystemon posted:

You can grow the plum seedlings of your dreams, then graft some beloved cultivars onto them.

Put a tree from the nursery in the ground this year and kill two birds with one stone: it will give you scion material for grafting and it will be a productive tree in its own right.

This is a great idea, and there are tons of bare root trees at Costco and various hardware and nurseries right now. I saw plum trees for $14.99 at Costco, for instance.

EDIT: I now have pepper sprouts, holy poo poo.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Absolutely this. For example, I put two pawpaw trees in the ground pronto as soon as I decided that I wanted them, but over the winter I’ve had like 8 seeds in the fridge to chill for germination, going to plant in the next couple weeks. Always nice to have some sure bets and then some :shrug: experiments just for fun/bonus

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the sanity check folks :)

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
One last suggestion from my wife after telling her about this thread: instead of hitting the seed with the hammer, treat it more like a nasturtium seed and score it thoroughly with a nail file. That’s more like actual digestive scarification and doesn’t run the risk of loving up the inside

Edit: I really do love the mental image of “you will germinate you BITCH” as he swings the hammer downward toward the plum pod lol

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 19, 2020

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

LOL you stopped by Costco, didn't you?

Haha, no, if I had there wouldn't be any question, I would have just bought bulbs already. Last time I went to Costco was maybe five years ago when I had a roommate with a membership I could mooch off of, and yes I bought too many bulbs and no most of them didn't grow because this is California and we don't have water here.

Trying to find some fake flowers to see if I can sort of satisfy this itch and goddamn it is hard to find a decent-looking lycoris anywhere.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don’t know that spider lillies would make a good potted plant. They really don’t like being moved in my experience and seem to take 2-3 years to get used to their new home before they bloom again.

Well drat. I was mostly concerned about lighting, but this is something to consider as well.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Anyone have any thoughts on properly composting sod? I've been digging out a whole bunch for new beds and I'd love to find a way to get that composted and reclaim the soil that is entangled with it. Can I just stick it in a pile and water the layers? Mix it with random dead leaves? Anything special I need to worry about to prevent regrowth?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Solkanar512 posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on properly composting sod? I've been digging out a whole bunch for new beds and I'd love to find a way to get that composted and reclaim the soil that is entangled with it. Can I just stick it in a pile and water the layers? Mix it with random dead leaves? Anything special I need to worry about to prevent regrowth?

Water the layers while piling it because the water won't penetrate otherwise, put it grass side down, if it was really dead add some nitrogen fertilizer, cover and secure with black plastic for half a year. Hard work for sure but worth it if you're into it

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So I didnt trust the seed coverage recommendation for a wildflower mix I put in my new 6'x4' raised bed and appear to have way over seeded. This is the mix. Says it covers 624 sq ft and I used half the package for 24 sq ft! 3 weeks later and I have so many seedlings coming up that it looks like lawn in some spots. Should I let it ride or aggressively thin it? If so, should I do it now or wait til the plants are bigger? Most are still in the cotyledon stage. Just grab clumps with my thumb and forefinger and make space? First time doing seeds so I'm a bit lost.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cheese posted:

So I didnt trust the seed coverage recommendation for a wildflower mix I put in my new 6'x4' raised bed and appear to have way over seeded. This is the mix. Says it covers 624 sq ft and I used half the package for 24 sq ft! 3 weeks later and I have so many seedlings coming up that it looks like lawn in some spots. Should I let it ride or aggressively thin it? If so, should I do it now or wait til the plants are bigger? Most are still in the cotyledon stage. Just grab clumps with my thumb and forefinger and make space? First time doing seeds so I'm a bit lost.

Everything I'm finding says that overcrowding will prevent the wildflowers from properly establishing. Can you perhaps take a flexible rake and lightly hit the seeded area to quickly but selectively thin it out?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
We hit costco up and picked up a triple combo cherry tree and 20 dahlia and 6 calla (including a kinda wild pink/purple), I'm so excited!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

We hit costco up and picked up a triple combo cherry tree and 20 dahlia and 6 calla (including a kinda wild pink/purple), I'm so excited!

Hell yeah!! Post pics when they bloom!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are there any particular shoes y’all like for gardening and yard/outdoors stuff?

Like something you can quickly slip on and off your feet that doesn’t have laces and poo poo, for when you want to walk around in your yard but don’t feel like putting on actual shoes?

I’ve been using a pair of slippers, but they’re getting kinda dirty and I don’t think I can wash them.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cheap rubber gumboots. Need to be big enough for wool socks in winter. May be too hot in summer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I. M. Gei posted:

Are there any particular shoes y’all like for gardening and yard/outdoors stuff?

Like something you can quickly slip on and off your feet that doesn’t have laces and poo poo, for when you want to walk around in your yard but don’t feel like putting on actual shoes?

I’ve been using a pair of slippers, but they’re getting kinda dirty and I don’t think I can wash them.

I hate to say it, but Crocs are great for this.

They slip on, they have a thick enough sole to keep your feet out of mud/puddles, dirt comes right off them.

I do put on shoes if I’m doing anything that involves lifting or bending over or walking on uneven terrain.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Platystemon posted:

I hate to say it, but Crocs are great for this.

They slip on, they have a thick enough sole to keep your feet out of mud/puddles, dirt comes right off them.

I do put on shoes if I’m doing anything that involves lifting or bending over or walking on uneven terrain.

I concur, I used to wear sandals outside to take the dog out several times a day but after getting some poison ivy on my foot I switched to crocs without holes in the front. They're ugly but they're comfortable and really good for walking around the yard. I just don't wear them anywhere else.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Thirding the Crocs for gardening sentiment. I loving hate Crocs as casual shoes but they're all I wear when I'm outside in my garden.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocs are amazing for the on/off aspect and I wear them all the time in the garden and yard and I think they're amazing.. but when I'm actually gardening getting a bunch of dirt and poo poo in them can be annoying. If you step in anything deeper than an inch you're getting it in your footwear. I like tight ankles, slip on Bogs are pretty great in my opinion for not letting little crap get in and you get a little added protection. The downside is they can get pretty warm but my feet do anyway in crocs and it least this way its not sweaty mud in my shoes

I beat the hell out of these and I love them:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

cheese posted:

So I didnt trust the seed coverage recommendation for a wildflower mix I put in my new 6'x4' raised bed and appear to have way over seeded. This is the mix. Says it covers 624 sq ft and I used half the package for 24 sq ft!

Haha I get this question at work a lot so you're not alone. Nobody believes us and are often used to seed packages that are 98% filler. You can thin them some now and as they grow keep an eye on areas that look overly thick. It's not the end of the world and dont worry too much about it. Next time add clean sand to the seed and it will make it easier to spread over a larger area.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Cheap rubber gumboots. Need to be big enough for wool socks in winter. May be too hot in summer.

This, but industrial gumboots with steel shanks and toes if power equipment or horses will be part of your day. I live in mine, but this is a wet area of the world and we have a swamp on our property.

Marchegiana posted:

Thirding the Crocs for gardening sentiment. I loving hate Crocs as casual shoes but they're all I wear when I'm outside in my garden.

The high tech incarnation of classic Dutch klompen (wooden shoes). The perfect shoe for slipping on to go grab a handful of cilantro or meet the courier at the gate. I hate them as well but I need to buy another pair as my wife is tired of me stretching out hers when I need to slip out the front door (gumboots live in the mudroom downstairs) to do a quick errand.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Crocs are amazing for the on/off aspect and I wear them all the time in the garden and yard and I think they're amazing.. but when I'm actually gardening getting a bunch of dirt and poo poo in them can be annoying. If you step in anything deeper than an inch you're getting it in your footwear. I like tight ankles, slip on Bogs are pretty great in my opinion for not letting little crap get in and you get a little added protection. The downside is they can get pretty warm but my feet do anyway in crocs and it least this way its not sweaty mud in my shoes

I beat the hell out of these and I love them:

Ooh, I like those! I'll have to look for them the next time I'm in town. They look a lot more resistant to our small wild blackberries than conventional Crocs.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

Ooh, I like those! I'll have to look for them the next time I'm in town. They look a lot more resistant to our small wild blackberries than conventional Crocs.

Oh yea, they're super tough. They're my general farm beaters and have a bunch of different styles for whatever use you have. They are significantly more heavy and heavy duty than crocs though so I wouldn't say they are a 1:1 comparison by any means. Like crocs:bogs::flip flops:tevas or something like that

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Haha I get this question at work a lot so you're not alone. Nobody believes us and are often used to seed packages that are 98% filler. You can thin them some now and as they grow keep an eye on areas that look overly thick. It's not the end of the world and dont worry too much about it. Next time add clean sand to the seed and it will make it easier to spread over a larger area.
Ya no kidding. I think I will just do some thumb and forefinger pinching of clumps to make a checkerboard of open soil and then just let things go. I want an overgrown look but not if it costs me flowers. Hopefully its a nice looking patch by mid May for my daughters first birthday (we got a super cute wood sign off Etsy that says "Ellie's Fairy Garden").

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
That does sound cute hah. One of my big motivators to clean up vast yard and plant pretty and interesting poo poo everywhere was for kids so I totally understand the reasoning. Now I’m just obsessed with weirder and weirder plants so w/e

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Oil of Paris posted:

That does sound cute hah. One of my big motivators to clean up vast yard and plant pretty and interesting poo poo everywhere was for kids so I totally understand the reasoning. Now I’m just obsessed with weirder and weirder plants so w/e
I feel you, I developed an Echinopsis/Trichocereus hybrid cactus addiction the year before having a kid. Not ideal :D

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My garden had become a little out of hand, so I spent an afternoon and reorganised everything

I also dug in some compost into an area that needs just a bit more body

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

cheese posted:

I feel you, I developed an Echinopsis/Trichocereus hybrid cactus addiction the year before having a kid. Not ideal :D

Lol, wife put the kibosch on cacti and agave pretty much immediately for same reason.

Made out pretty well at that Plant Delights open house. If y’all ever get the chance to go, it was actually very fun and I saw some seriously strange plants. I ended up playing it pretty safe and got:

trillium: https://www.plantdelights.com/products/trillium-ludoviciatum-the-smiths

butchers broom: https://www.plantdelights.com/products/ruscus-aculeatus-elizabeth-lawrence

wild ginger: https://www.plantdelights.com/products/asarum-nobilissimum-iron-butterfly

and edgeworthia paper bush: https://www.plantdelights.com/products/edgeworthia-chrysantha-snow-cream

I’m really just focusing on getting the shade garden right bc if I start thinking about everywhere else we need to plant I’ll get overwhelmed by all the choices. At least with the shade garden I have a strong Appalachian mountains theme that I can follow without much problem picking plants.

That said I definitely wanted like ten other plants but had to exercise restraint. Especially when it comes to poo poo like this, the mighty pig butt arum: https://www.plantdelights.com/products/helicodiceros-muscivorus lmao

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I love all of those, especially the edgeworthia. I've got a perfect spot for a nice shade garden but I'm always disappointed by the selection of my local nurseries. I need to find a way to get some more novel stuff to plant instead of just hydrangeas and rhododendron.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Lol

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Oil of Paris posted:

Lol, wife put the kibosch on cacti and agave pretty much immediately for same reason.
I ended up putting them in the corner of our fourplex's yard and then a wall of planters with more friendly plants to block little kids. Then I'll grab a pot if its in bloom and put it on our patio for a few days while it flowers.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Do lights like this actually work for seed starting? https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Ochter-Spectrum-Intelligent-Dimmable/dp/B0818GCNV3

I want to start seeds indoors but the space I have doesn't get enough light. I don't want to screw around with florescent lights.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do lights like this actually work for seed starting? https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Ochter-Spectrum-Intelligent-Dimmable/dp/B0818GCNV3

I want to start seeds indoors but the space I have doesn't get enough light. I don't want to screw around with florescent lights.

Most seeds don’t need the light to sprout (they need a moist environment and heat, so get a tray with a clear plastic dome and maybe a heating mat), but right after it’s going to be a huge help.

I have something similar because I wanted to gently caress around with some houseplants and it’s a huge effect. I can’t say if something like that is enough light for sprouts, but it can’t hurt.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

A heat mat for starting seeds made a big difference for some of mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm always skeptical of the build quality and specs of lights from random companies on Amazon, but they're probably ok. The important part is just a strip of LEDs (you can buy strips of these yourself if you want)