Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Wood Elves are the survivors of The War of the Beard who didn't retreat from The Old World. Considering that war was so apocalyptic that it depopulated most of the planet followed by a rapid expansion of human resettlement, the Wood Elves stuck to Athel Loren and other impenetrable forests to recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The ultimate Vortex reveal is that ignore rituals and pursue military victory, your biggest enemies pursue the ritual while summoning Chaos stacks to stall their expansion so you honestly can't lose once you begin to snowball. I've seen dying enemies start a ritual. Very cozy turtle play.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How do you kill fleeing enemies? My dudes just seem to follow them but don't want to attack?

Use high speed units like cavalry and especially cheap, high risk units like fell bats, harpies, dog packs, etc. Having two packs of cheap runners early game is great for risk-free cleaning. Use ranged, although I'd rather make active units rout than finish off routers. Ignore them and keep in mind the high odds they'll rally and return, but since they ran off it takes them forever, they'll trickle back alone and they drain their own vigor. Not a big deal to give them some focus fire or have your line waiting to kick their rear end again.

Possible tactic is to never stop chasing them until they run off the side of the map. The thing about routing units is they're very hard pressed to rally if enemies are near, so having weakened same speed infantry chase same speed routers off the side of the map can be a decent gain since you prevent the enemy rally. This can even work against full health ranged on skirmish, you just need to really outnumber the enemy with cheap infantry and have one unit for each of theirs, run them right off the map.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is no being harder to kill in the game than a single, infantry-sized model routing off the field that you're chasing with a unit of melee cavalry.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Skaven didn’t show up until humans were already civilized and living in towns. Skavenblight is the ruins of a decadent Tilean city.
That was still well before everything got all hosed up for the dwarves, though, wasn't it? From a quick googling, they were around a thousand years before the earthquakes.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

The Crotch posted:

There is no being harder to kill in the game than a single, infantry-sized model routing off the field that you're chasing with a unit of melee cavalry.

That was still well before everything got all hosed up for the dwarves, though, wasn't it? From a quick googling, they were around a thousand years before the earthquakes.

love it when my badass dueling mounted duelist lord *pushes* a foot single model out of the map

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I find that I prefer ME to Vortex. ME allows you to play at the pace you want, conquer how you want, and that's interesting to me.

Vortex is on a timer with some clear stages and there's nothing one can do to prevent stacks spawning in weird spots and razing cities. So the whole "how do I build an empire that is defensible and keep the AI out" consideration doesn't apply as no matter what you do, you'll be dealing with ninja stacks spawning wherever your armies aren't. It's coded that way.

Both are fun campaigns, and for Vortex, Tomb Kings were the answer for me :hellyeah: They basically play like a Mortal Empires campaign on the Vortex map, no ritual stuff.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I’ve started just going for the military victory in vortex. It’s still faster than doing it on ME and the battle to knock the others out of the vortex race is really easy.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ammanas posted:

love it when my badass dueling mounted duelist lord *pushes* a foot single model out of the map

love it when that single model is enough to keep the enemy stack alive for another turn

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Yeah that’s my experience. Like my lord just sorta bumping the rear of some dudes to the end of the map. Or like a whole unit of cav just kinda bumping a load of dudes off the map but killing nothing.

If I kinda micro a bit and get them to charge it’ll do something. But sometimes they’ll charge and sorta let up at the last moment and dead stop.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

yikes! posted:

I’ve started just going for the military victory in vortex. It’s still faster than doing it on ME and the battle to knock the others out of the vortex race is really easy.

What happens with the story of you get a conquest victory on Vortex?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
There is no story, it just shows you the Domination victory screen.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Oh, a quick question about dwarf thunderers for those of you that are experienced.

How many rows can they fire through? In the previous total war games it's generally only been a couple. Now I've seen that it's definitely not the case with thunderers, they can easily fire through many ranks. Is it always all ranks they can fire through?

Is there are recommended number of rows to set them to?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In Warhammer 2 (and the first one too I think), every model in the unit can fire over the heads of the rest of the unit. You can make the formation as deep as you like, it'll still be effective. Note that that only applies within the unit; each model still needs a clear line of site to the target. For example, if the formation's LoS is half-blocked by terrain, or friendly soldiers in another unit, only half the unit will be able to fire.

In a historical TW, spaghetti gun-lines win the day.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

TescoBag posted:

Oh, a quick question about dwarf thunderers for those of you that are experienced.

How many rows can they fire through? In the previous total war games it's generally only been a couple. Now I've seen that it's definitely not the case with thunderers, they can easily fire through many ranks. Is it always all ranks they can fire through?

Is there are recommended number of rows to set them to?

In Warhammer, all ranged units can fire as long as the specific model can hit the enemy. In practice, this means that models in the same unit will have their shots phase through each other. Indirect fire units like archers can shoot for days; in the case of direct fire units like Thunderers, you can have dumbass-looking formations like a Tetris straight piece oriented vertically still shoot enemies as long as most of the unit's models have a clear shot at their target. If they don't, the unit will move up to try and get LoS; keep an eye on them or space them well to make sure this doesn't happen because they might blunder into melee.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i keep making my ranged units lines because thats what ive always done in tw games but when i remember to be not dumb, the best formation is probably a box since the unit can turn faster and its easier to keep them separated. if theyre being shot themselves tho it might be a problem, but its probably something you could test to see if it matters at all. some magic also prefers blowing up boxes as opposed to lines.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Checkerboard formations rule in tw2 specifically because you can keep all your units in nice little compact squares.

The best feeling in Warhammer when I was learning it was getting thunderers to route grimgor before he made it to my infantry line. It's a slight pity the inevitable greenskins update will probably make them less of a joke such that you can't do that.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What's the deal with SFO? Specifically, what does it do to Dark Eleves and Dwarves (the two things I'm planning to play next)?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

What's the deal with SFO? Specifically, what does it do to Dark Eleves and Dwarves (the two things I'm planning to play next)?

Can't speak for edgelord elves, but for Dwarfs basically it does the following:

1) Lower model counts, stronger models. Hammerers will clown most infantry in a head-to-head fight, and will cleave through hordes as well thanks to having splash damage and knockback, for example
2) Expanded building tree that gives alternatives for your income buildings and public order buildings, with some tradeoffs
3) Economy balanced so that you are dependent on bunkering down and building up in order to create momentum
4) Expanded building tree is tied to Runic upgrades: these are expensive, exclusive unit upgrade techs that require top-tier buildings (with each unit type tied to a building type) and give their associated unit powerful buffs with some tradeoff. Powerful Runic upgrades include stuff like magic attacks and boosted AP damage for Hammerers in exchange for higher upkeep, a 25% boost to Thunderer range in exchange for lesser AP missile damage, etc.
5) Two new units: the Dwarf Engineer squad, a top-tier unit that can effectively replace Irondrakes thanks to their mortar guns that completely annihilate light infantry with indirect, explosive fire, and the Everguard, a unique unit of Hammerers that Thorgrim exclusively starts with that can end up costing no upkeep once he unlocks a certain skill

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Those of you who've been following my forever war as Ikit claw, I'm finally done, the bretonnians are dead, and Reikland which has been a thorn in my side for over 2 hundred turns is finally dead.

How, with a single province they were able to continually field 5 armies is beyond me

in order to finish this long victory, I need wipe out Talsyn (who's been scooping up provinces behind my long salting of the earth) and the pirates of Targosa (sp? they're to the south of Skavenblight) - the former's gonna be a pain in the rear end and I'm half tempted just to seed undercities and then blow them all up simultaneously but I'm not convinced that'll work, especially noting it will take 15 loving turns to go through.

The latter I have no issues as they have maybe two armies tops, and maybe two provinces.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I honestly wish at this point I could just... blow up all their cities now without doing the work because I can win, it's just a slog at this point.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Speaking of slogs, what's up with Repanse's chivalry requirements? I remember in the first game it took about 800 to trigger the end-game; this time around it's 2000. I get that ME is meant to have kind of excessive victory reqs, but I'm playing the vortex map. I took over all of north Africa, and only had about 1200. My war with the Less-lame elves has helped, but I wish I'd picked somewhere nicer than the vampire coast to have it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I had it when I conquered "not africa". I think i needed to go dunk on sartosa but aside from that if you have lords picking fights everywhere and reinforcing you can get that requirement real quick.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I find that I prefer ME to Vortex. ME allows you to play at the pace you want, conquer how you want, and that's interesting to me.

Vortex is on a timer with some clear stages and there's nothing one can do to prevent stacks spawning in weird spots and razing cities. So the whole "how do I build an empire that is defensible and keep the AI out" consideration doesn't apply as no matter what you do, you'll be dealing with ninja stacks spawning wherever your armies aren't. It's coded that way.

Both are fun campaigns, and for Vortex, Tomb Kings were the answer for me :hellyeah: They basically play like a Mortal Empires campaign on the Vortex map, no ritual stuff.

You don't actually have to do the Vortex conditions at all to win, and the race is actually meaningless because if someone else hits the final stage you can do an easy quest battle to disable their vortex win condition forever.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Speaking of slogs, what's up with Repanse's chivalry requirements? I remember in the first game it took about 800 to trigger the end-game; this time around it's 2000. I get that ME is meant to have kind of excessive victory reqs, but I'm playing the vortex map. I took over all of north Africa, and only had about 1200. My war with the Less-lame elves has helped, but I wish I'd picked somewhere nicer than the vampire coast to have it.

Repanse has no supply line penalty, so you’re supposed to have 3 lords without armies (at first) backing her up. This gives extra chivalry for each lord involved in combat, and you can win handily in less than 70 turns.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Krazyface posted:

By using lots of lords as reinforcements, I had it by the time I'd conquered the desert on Vortex. There's no reason at all to not have a coterie of lords earning experience, filling vows, farming the 'savior trait, and earning chivalry. Just be careful against Snikch who will ambush them all down.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 21, 2020

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

dirk von Mchammer

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ravenfood posted:

By using lots of lords as reinforcements, I had it by the time I'd conquered the desert on Vortex. There's no reason at all to not have a coterie of lords earning experience, filling vows, farming the 'savior trait, and earning chivalry. Just be careful against Snikch who will ambush them all down.

See, it took me 160 turns because I got real tired of moving four lords for every one in another faction.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
For Ikit (and skaven in general) is it better to occupy cities or just expand the under empire and sack? My under empire is doing a decent job of spreading on its own so I've been sacking the coast/dwarves around me rather than occupying.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Depends if you want the land. You get food penalties for settlements, and underempire has buildings that can give you food.

My rule of thumb is to underempire hostile environments and only capture land if I actually need it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The under empire is generally a real big money sink if you want to build the cool stuff, and you usually need to pay for stuff in all 4 slots if you want to remain undetected. I tend to view undercities as a way to enhance an existing empire, not as an alternative to territory.

It's good to occupy any city with the food resource and cities that are strategically useful. Skaven can stay on a few cities for a while and not really suffer, at some point it's still helpful to expand to a few more cities and set up military / tech buildings.

With Ikit I find it very useful to take out Tilea/Estalia, then head west and take out all the French provinces. The provinces with two cities are actually quite nice for the Skaven since they can only construct the +food building in the provincial capital and they get a food penalty for all the cities they occupy. Doing it that way lets you minmax food. And you can do the same crap with the Wood Elves once you've burned down all their precious trees, fill them with rats and each tree can make a +food building and run the province +food edict.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I use the underempire for food mostly, the cool stuff goes on settlements it's worth investing in. I also avoid the settling vs underempire debate by having my underempire on the opposite continent. If I'm Ikit in ME that means starting it on Ulthuan or Not-South America, and if I'm Ikit in Vortex that'd mean doing my underempire on Not-Africa. I find the underempire to be a hassle on Vortex though since settlements tend to get razed a lot by the ritual armies.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just finished a Wulfhart campaign and ended up using cannons a bit since they're part of package deals with things that I actually want. 1,100 hours between TWW1 + 2 but I have yet to find any use for them, either in vanilla or SFO, as any faction that can use them. I see people sing the praises of cannons occasionally but I just don't get it. Am I missing something?

Anti-infantry artillery like hellstorms and mortars always rack up hundreds of kills and have no problem justifying their place. Cannons are obviously comparatively very poo poo at taking out infantry. So the assumption would be that they exist to wipe out large units, but they seem pretty garbage at that too? I'm always extremely disappointed in the results when I target cavalry or medium-sized monsters. It's even worse when cav is circling around and the cannons can't keep up.

They do ok against slow single model monsters, but that's a pretty tiny niche and I have no idea why I would use a cannon for that when I could just use handguns which are cheaper, easier to reposition, less vulnerable, seem to kill quicker, can easily hit evasive targets, and are great against almost all unit types instead of just the one. Having extra range to be useless with is not a worthwhile trade-off.

So what the gently caress is up with cannons?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Cannons were ok for single model stagger back when the other artillery was underwhelming. Mortars were ok against infantry but fell off badly late game, Cannons were useful for dealing with melee lords, giants, and units like that. It was the stagger mechanic that made them especially useful.

In the recent patches hellstorms and other AOE artillery got buffed, in particular the way explosive damage is calculated helps AOE artillery a lot. So at this point I also find that cannons are generally not very useful for the slot.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
They're useful for taking out towers and wall sections, and at long range they are decent vs heavy infantry as they can rip through quite a few guys with a well angled shot. They are also good vs dealing with flyers.

Granted, volley guns /luninark does this too, so they're mainly a cheaper version of the same type of weapon.

Lucky's Overhaul gives them an enormous bonus VS large, so they are extremely good vs monstrous units.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The nice part about the cannons is that they are one of the few homing artillery weapons that actually guide their shots to a target.

But otherwise they are kinda meh.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cannons are also your main artillery sniper as the Empire.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They're great doomstack filters and the way the anti-large works makes them accurate on those big Lords/Monsters. Cannons are like any artillery, they're either support fire or critical mass. I got experimental in my Legendary Balthasar game and had a stack with 5 cannons and one of the Dark Elf stacks had 3 Hydras and a Kharibdyss, along with the usual doomstack of full Executioners/Naggagrond/Elite Cavalry. Only a single Hydra saw the front. Cannons are a decent mixer, maybe 4/2 Hellstorm/Cannons or even 3/3, the cannons will still delete infantry.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Crotch posted:

2, fleeing seperately and if you click the one your cav are literally trampling, they'll immediately flee to pursue the other one across the map.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
"we almost got em, there's only twelve goblins left out of their original cohort of 200!"

"oh snap one of them apparently randomly ran off the opposite direction, he must be important so let's all peel off to trample the gently caress out of that little dude half a map away. We can deal with the other eleven guys after he's dead"

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Does anyone have some fun suggestions for interesting new starting positions? So far I've moved Eshin to that Wood Elf city in the northern Empire, started Taurox in Ultuthan and had him beating up the elves with sword of Khaine for some fun, and I just started a Teclis in the Border Princes campaign to reignite the War of the Beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

For a start marked as easy the dwarf king dude feels like I'm just surrounded by too many enemies to get a handle on due to being at war with like every drat orc.