Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I mean, you have a full suit of metal armor on, and those guys are near naked.
You can afford a little more bravado, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Hahaha." :geno:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So here's a little bit of Superman Smashes the Klan #3. Exactly as advertised.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What's Jameson doing there?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Lol like that little "flick" to the nose/face wouldn't have caved his skull in

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Wait, they redid Superman vs. the Klan? Like from the old radio shows in the 40's? Holy poo poo, that's pretty badass.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

seaborgium posted:

Wait, they redid Superman vs. the Klan? Like from the old radio shows in the 40's? Holy poo poo, that's pretty badass.

With art by Gurihiru. :3:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's an enormously charming series and as well written as you'd expect from Gene Luen Yang. His essays in the back matter are also pretty good-- if you have a kid or know a kid whenever the collected edition comes out it'll be like, the ideal comic book present for them.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I love that version of Superman. Just, such an awesome dude.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Are they referred to as the actual Ku Klux Klan, or the Clan of the Fiery Cross as in the old radio serial?

loving hilarious that Klan secrets got spilled by a Superman serial fed by a human rights activist.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How Wonderful! posted:

It's an enormously charming series and as well written as you'd expect from Gene Luen Yang. His essays in the back matter are also pretty good-- if you have a kid or know a kid whenever the collected edition comes out it'll be like, the ideal comic book present for them.

I have a kid, but this book is for me.

(I’ll probably read it to him too, but so far he cares a lot more about Asterix than Superman)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Are they referred to as the actual Ku Klux Klan, or the Clan of the Fiery Cross as in the old radio serial?

loving hilarious that Klan secrets got spilled by a Superman serial fed by a human rights activist.

well now its the "klan of the fiery kross" but yes

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Marauders #8: Kate Pryde has been found dead.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TwoPair posted:

Nice nod to paradoxical undressing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Every now and then somebody remembers that Iceman is, on paper, one of the scariest motherfuckers on the planet and I love it every time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I remember reading this back in the day, and Emma basically unleashes all of Bobby's potential to give him a glimpse of what he could become.

No idea of issue.

Isn't he functionally Wolverine levels of immortal as well if a piece of him survives?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

(Pics of an Omega Level mutant using their powers to crush humans.)

Okay so I haven't been following this series. And I'm sure the guys with guns are bad people. And judging by the context they killed Kitty.
But won't she come back?
Where as the guys maimed by Iceman will be permanently maimed.
Like true Kitty may permanently carry around the trauma from being killed, but I thought Krakoa wants to develop psychics to help mutants overcome such trauma.
And does the eye for an eye analogy really work if one person loses the eye forever while the other get's their eye back?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Kate has some weird stuff going on with Krakoa where the island doesn't fully accept her and she can't go through the gates. So there's some ambiguity about how resurrection will effect her. This is still ongoing in the comic so who's to say how it shakes out but, for example, there's a lot more gravitas and suspense about this death than any of the cartoonishly gory deaths in X-Force because we don't know for sure what the outcome will be.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Question IRL posted:

Okay so I haven't been following this series. And I'm sure the guys with guns are bad people. And judging by the context they killed Kitty.
But won't she come back?
Where as the guys maimed by Iceman will be permanently maimed.
Like true Kitty may permanently carry around the trauma from being killed, but I thought Krakoa wants to develop psychics to help mutants overcome such trauma.
And does the eye for an eye analogy really work if one person loses the eye forever while the other get's their eye back?

All interesting and logical points that make no difference at all to a man in a cold blooded fury. :shrug:

For what it's worth, Bishop seems to agree with you. For that matter, in a recent issue of X-Men, while thwarting an assassination attempt on Professor X, Cyclops disabled the guys with guns he was fighting in a way that just left them unconscious, while noted murderer Gorgon acted as Bobby does here, sticking to the letter of the law (Murder no Man) but maiming every opponent he faced.

In short, Iceman is crossing a line here, and it's possible that some of his closest friends will call him on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On the other hand, it's the Marvel universe, so that guy will probably get a robot gun arm and become a thorn in the X-Men's side for years to come.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have a vague memory from when I was a kid of a comic where Iceman was chasing after Darkstar, a woman he had a crush on and it led him into some sort of hostile space-like environment. In order to survive he had a to make an ice sphere around himself but there's no water just floating around in space so he had to draw the moisture out of his own body.

When they got to safety he was half-dead and Darkstar didn't care because who needs some stalker-y frozen boob chasing you through space?

EDIT: Might have been Champions... Defenders? It was so long ago... :corsair:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The only thing I can't understand is why that one guy suddenly started saying he was hot.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

mind the walrus posted:

The only thing I can't understand is why that one guy suddenly started saying he was hot.

It happens when you’re freezing

https://www.livescience.com/41730-hypothermia-terminal-burrowing-paradoxical-undressing.html

“Over time, however, the muscles necessary for inducing vasoconstriction become exhausted and fail, causing warm blood to rush from the core to the extremities. This results in a kind of "hot flash" that makes victims of severe hypothermia — who are already confused and disoriented — feel as though they're burning up, so they remove their clothes, researchers have concluded.”

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

mind the walrus posted:

As Beachcomber mentioned it earlier, it's a reference to paradoxical undressing. People who are dying of hypothermia will sometimes feel paradoxically hot and and try to take off their clothes even though they're actually freezing to death.

So basically, that's how cold Iceman made it in there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah the art absolutely did not sell that. He should have put some signs on the "I'm burning up" panels to show ice forming on the dude. I was convinced there was some weird Pyro shenanigans going on in the subsequent pages.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Cabbit posted:

Every now and then somebody remembers that Iceman is, on paper, one of the scariest motherfuckers on the planet and I love it every time.
like EVERY mutant could kill millions before being stopped. if they could be stopped. the only reason comics work is because they have a benevolent creator. in reality we'd all be murdered by the first bulletproof mutant who wanted to before the x-men got out of bed that morning.
there would be less cities that's for sure. the population would scatter. sports would end. in fact most large events would be targets and that's not even including the risk the band themselves don't kill you because it's a trap. an afterlife is cool i guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

InsertPotPun posted:

like EVERY mutant could kill millions before being stopped. if they could be stopped. the only reason comics work is because they have a benevolent creator. in reality we'd all be murdered by the first bulletproof mutant who wanted to before the x-men got out of bed that morning.
there would be less cities that's for sure. the population would scatter. sports would end. in fact most large events would be targets and that's not even including the risk the band themselves don't kill you because it's a trap. an afterlife is cool i guess.

There was an issue of Exiles (I think it was early on, before they realized what was going on) where they rescued Professor X from prison and he immediately killed everybody in Albuquerque with his brain.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

InsertPotPun posted:

Not goldballs, he's cool.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

InsertPotPun posted:

Actually you'll find that in BSS we are friends of the mutants.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh no, the poor mutants who may as well be gods.
Won't someone think of them

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Scott Summers once formed a team he called "The Extinction Squad." And a mutant who's most commonly known as Apocalypse is part of at least two X teams right now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Scott Summers has also never been wrong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

Actually you'll find that in BSS we are friends of the mutants.

I still support the Inhumans :colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Angel is an Omega level threat.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Push El Burrito posted:

Angel is an Omega level threat.

Isn’t his power “has wings and fly”? Like... without plot armor some goons with machine guns would just drop him from air (that is true for a whole lot of heroes though)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
He also has blood that can heal and metal wings sometimes. No to mention the greatest super power of all, Money.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TwoPair posted:

I still support the Inhumans :colbert:

The television show?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gnome de plume posted:

He also has blood that can heal and metal wings sometimes. No to mention the greatest super power of all, Money.

Bobby is better since he has more money!!!!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cabbit posted:

He's theoretically like a thermodynamic version of Magneto but that only gets explored rarely. Has he had any good what-ifs where they just go nuts with his powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He's theoretically like a thermodynamic version of Magneto but that only gets explored rarely. Has he had any good what-ifs where they just go nuts with his powers?

Not a what if, but I loved the future version(s) of Iceman in Battle of the Atom. One is basically Ice Gandalf capable of making semi sentient Ice Golems and on the opposing team there's an Ice Golem that went rogue.