Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hmmm... hand addressed letter sent to my apartment complex by the CDC. Pretty sure we're hosed.

well maybe if you wash your rear end like they suggest, things will be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Lacrosse posted:

The amount of people who will go bankrupt from medical bills resulting from this is going to be insane. I did some math to see how bad:

Some doctors have mentioned they expect 60% of the population to eventually get the virus. The USA has a population of 327 million, 60% would be 196.2 million infected. Of those infected, 13% are serious (or worse) cases that require hospitalization, so 25.5 million who might be looking at bills for advanced life support. That's a lot of potential medical bankruptcies.

If you're wondering where in getting the % from, I've been following Dr John Campbell on YouTube, he does daily updates and explains the CDC/WHO statistics.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching

So about people 78 of 1000 people will need a ICU bed. There are about 0.2 ICU beds per 1000 in the US and that on the higher end world wide.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well can US commandeer some cranes and build some 7-day hospitals?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

RichardA posted:

So about people 78 of 1000 people will need a ICU bed. There are about 0.2 ICU beds per 1000 in the US and that on the higher end world wide.

What's the timeline for that amount of people? Is that demand going to be spread out over half a year or will it be over a span of a couple months?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well can US commandeer some cranes and build some 7-day hospitals?

We would make the military do it. Army Corps would be in charge of it, most likely. Engineer units would be huddled together at the isolation sites, conveniently on military bases. That's pretty much what's going on now on a smaller scale, but if cases ramp up fast, it's going to wind up being tent hospitals for a little while.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

whoever's been praying to God to stop climate change, please stop

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We would make the military do it. Army Corps would be in charge of it, most likely. Engineer units would be huddled together at the isolation sites, conveniently on military bases. That's pretty much what's going on now on a smaller scale, but if cases ramp up fast, it's going to wind up being tent hospitals for a little while.

Even if they built enough hospitals to keep people, there aren't anywhere near enough staff to actually work them. You can't train nurses and doctors overnight.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tent city in sub zero weather? You better hope the pandemic happen in Apr.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have no idea how they're going to handle it, but getting the Army Corps of Engineers involved in slapping together temporary buildings is the way it's likely to go. Unless trump decides to contract it out to one of his cronies to keep the grift alive more than people.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

stephenthinkpad posted:

Tent city in sub zero weather? You better hope the pandemic happen in Apr.

HKCU estimated a maximum of a pandemic to be around april may.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Rad-daddio posted:

What's the timeline for that amount of people? Is that demand going to be spread out over half a year or will it be over a span of a couple months?

I'm not an epidemiologist but this is the kind of thing that depends on what quarantine procedure are in place. If countries shut down non nonessential travel, closed schools, and stopped public gathering at stadiums and churches it dramatically changes the expected time-spans even if it is too late to stop it from becoming widespread. My concern is that the time-frame for when these kind of measures would be most effective is rapidly closing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I have no idea how they're going to handle it, but getting the Army Corps of Engineers involved in slapping together temporary buildings is the way it's likely to go. Unless trump decides to contract it out to one of his cronies to keep the grift alive more than people.

he knows some wall guys if someone else can handle the roof and floor

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Man, that's what's going to happen. Trump is going to announce a plague hospital in every major city that will be built under some company that ultimately backdoors money into a shell company for probably Russian oligarchs.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hmmm... hand addressed letter sent to my apartment complex by the CDC. Pretty sure we're hosed.

What does it say?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

RichardA posted:

I'm not an epidemiologist but this is the kind of thing that depends on what quarantine procedure are in place. If countries shut down non nonessential travel, closed schools, and stopped public gathering at stadiums and churches it dramatically changes the expected time-spans even if it is too late to stop it from becoming widespread. My concern is that the time-frame for when these kind of measures would be most effective is rapidly closing.

lol the trump admin is absolutely not going to do anything that isn't a massive grift that lines their pockets. their response is going to make the katrina aftermath look like ballet. heckuva job, brownie

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Spinz posted:

What does it say?

"there is nothing to worry about, which is why we have taken this exceptional step of reassuring you as such"

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I'm honestly expecting Trump to disappear people to those FEMA camps the Republicans under Obama were so scared of, since we all know how good they are at projecting.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Spinz posted:

What does it say?
I dunno. It was delivered to the building but not to my mailbox. Just hoping it’s not a patient notification toolkit.

https://www.cdc.gov/injectionsafety/pntoolkit/section1.html

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

It's warning the building about you. You're infected and extraordinary measures are now in place to protect -from you-.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I have literal buckets of peanut butter so bring on this quarantine.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Diva Cupcake posted:

I dunno. It was delivered to the building but not to my mailbox. Just hoping it’s not a patient notification toolkit.

https://www.cdc.gov/injectionsafety/pntoolkit/section1.html

Oh poo poo

Keep us posted
Oh poo poo tho, THIS is def when I would shop and stock up on poo poo, like RIGHT NOW TODAY

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
MAGA virus is going to kill all the MAGA voters tho.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Cases have increased 10 fold in 4 days

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231021220835069952

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Spinz posted:

Oh poo poo

Keep us posted
Oh poo poo tho, THIS is def when I would shop and stock up on poo poo, like RIGHT NOW TODAY

Should have started last week, tbh. And this isn't just me going full :derp: , because even if everyone magically gets better tomorrow, the damage has already been done to supply chains. Medicine will probably the first to run into shortages, so I got a refill of my inhaler while I still could.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ok seriously how the gently caress does india still only have three infections?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

ok seriously how the gently caress does india still only have three infections?

It probably doesn't.

Same in Indonesia.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Too hot for virus there, the President said it already...

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Too hot for virus there, the President said it already...

Unlike Singapore and Iran?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Live through a couple Bhopal incidents and your body can fight off any virus.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Lacrosse posted:

Should have started last week, tbh. And this isn't just me going full :derp: , because even if everyone magically gets better tomorrow, the damage has already been done to supply chains. Medicine will probably the first to run into shortages, so I got a refill of my inhaler while I still could.

Ehh, medicine is the first to run out and y'all should stock up on that, but you don't have to start gathering food and the other things just yet. There's like this mathematical model that postulates that America will start to have tons of cases starting to pop up around the end of the first week in March

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Charlz Guybon posted:

Unlike Singapore and Iran?

Iran actually gets proper snowy winter. Its on a plateau. Thats why its so hard to invade Iran.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Luckyellow posted:

Ehh, medicine is the first to run out and y'all should stock up on that, but you don't have to start gathering food and the other things just yet. There's like this mathematical model that postulates that America will start to have tons of cases starting to pop up around the end of the first week in March

Spring break is like the second week of March lol

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

It probably doesn't.

Same in Indonesia.

there's a vid out there of a guy trying to sell face masks, all piled high over the floor of this dimly lit shack, ladies sorting through them for some reason and getting stepped all over

i guess someone's gotta think of the environment in times like these!!

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

It probably doesn't.

Same in Indonesia.

1.9 million Chinese tourists visited Indo in 2019. They are 13% of their tourists. Hygiene is not adequate: my friend was telling me how Allah made our hands antibacterial, that’s why it’s good to eat with your hands (luckily you only eat with the right one, because the left one just touched your butthole). The Indonesian government are inept, corrupt liars. Understanding of science by most of the 250 million people is abysmal, and tons of people only get information from facebook or the mosque.

Indonesia is so hosed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

stephenthinkpad posted:

Iran actually gets proper snowy winter. Its on a plateau. Thats why its so hard to invade Iran.

It snowed in Iraq recently. It gets cold in the ME.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Booty Pageant posted:

there's a vid out there of a guy trying to sell face masks, all piled high over the floor of this dimly lit shack, ladies sorting through them for some reason and getting stepped all over

Well of course you're going to sort through them, you've got to find one that hasn't been stepped on yet.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Having 1500 dollars at once is an insane amount of money op.

Hey pal, drop on by to BFC and we can help you get a handle on your finances.

$1500 shouldn’t be an insane amount of money for an adult to have.

Lol and this is why America is gonna be so hosed!

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Booty Pageant posted:

There was a guy at the near by metro station selling 5 packs of masks out of a cardboard box with no branding.

My favorite masks though were the ones in a local pharmacy in Mong Kok, produced by McProducts Brand, Ltd. There were boxes and boxes of them and no wait to check out. But for some reason, people wanted to stand in a 100 person line at Watson's instead.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

bones 4 beginners posted:

There was a guy at the near by metro station selling 5 packs of masks out of a cardboard box with no branding.

My favorite masks though were the ones in a local pharmacy in Mong Kok, produced by McProducts Brand, Ltd. There were boxes and boxes of them and no wait to check out. But for some reason, people wanted to stand in a 100 person line at Watson's instead.

at least the mask sellers are making out like bandits. a silver lining to every cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

whoever's been praying to God to stop climate change, please stop

Well if it gets too hot for respiratory bugs there can always be an explosion of hemorrhagic fevers.