Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Was that your first Sanderson book period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

Was that your first Sanderson book period?

yep

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

You know how I said that Book 3 explains why people react to Dalinar the way they do? Sadeas is one of those people.

He’s still a bastard, but he has his reasons.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Sadeas is Loghain from Dragon Age.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Proteus Jones posted:

I need a book or novella about the shenanigans Lopen gets up to. Wait scratch that, I need a novel detailing the Adventures of Lopen and Wayne. (I know, timelines and all that, but the Lopen says feh to timelines)

It's not too much of a stretch since Wax and Wayne's books take place around the same time as the Stormlight Archives. A big reason Harmony isn't coming to put Odium in his place is because of Trell's presence on/around Scadrial.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

another livesigning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbwmDMwCKrs

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

large_gourd posted:

Finished WOK a little while ago.

Overall I think my thoughts on the book are pretty much in line with what I've seen from other people who more or less enjoyed the book but at pretty critical of aspects of it. The last 200 pages or so were really captivating due to the sudden onslaught of plot developments.

Kaladin and Dalinar's storylines converging was excellent, and I feel like it happened at just the right time for me. Kaladin's story had been by far my favourite for most of the book but towards the end I was starting to find the progress in his chapters far too incremental and getting a bit tired of his ambivalence about the way forward. Dalinar's chapters, at the same time, were getting more and more interesting to me. So the two storylines sort of converged at a point where I was really invested in both sides, but with a feeling like things had to progress immediately and they really did. The setup for book 2 here is great, I really want to continue on and see what happens there.

Even Shallan's story finally picked up some speed and my problems with her characterisation were not in focus. The revelations about Jasnah and Shallan not needing Soulcasters and what had actually happened when Kabsal tried to poison her were interesting turns, although I would have taken anything at this point, and that was supplemented with things like her being the one who killed her dad. I'd say I'm reasonably curious about what's going to happen next with her now, which is a big step up. Coming right after the Dalinar and Kaladin stuff, there was just a lot of momentum in the story at this point and every new plot point felt like it joined a stampede hurtling towards something.

I don't think the book needed to be as long as it was. I tore through it, so I was never truly bored, but having the full picture of it now I can say that Kaladin's chapters spun their wheels a lot, which I really only started to realise towards the end. His interactions and growing relationships with his crew were just real enough to keep these chapters alive, though, so it never really sunk into 'why does this chapter exist' the same way Shallan's did, where the interactions were corny and stilted. I don't think Dalinar's story really had much bloat at all, developments happened there pretty regularly, and it was populated with a lot of shifting character dynamics which made every chapter feel like something was happening.

Everything eventually played into the last act, so I don't think the 400 pages or so of Kaladin and Shallan in holding patterns was truly wasted. Obviously you get something out of the chapters - a bit of insight on the world, some character development - but it's interesting for me to think about the actual sum of the chapters in terms of what is lost by including material which, while it adds something, isn't really necessary. Since this is a 10 book series, maybe in the overall outline all of it is really 100% necessary in a way that can't be seen from this chunk of it.

It's a really mixed bag. On the one hand, I like how expansive the book is and all the extraneous details and interludes. On the other, I wish they were better so that I wasn't rushing through them to get back to the plot. The characterisation was pretty unoriginal overall. I was kind of disappointed the direction Sadeas went, actually. I think it would have been more interesting to keep him and Dalinar as allies against another force rather than doing the reverse twist of having him be as lovely as he first appeared and that's all there is to it. Kaladin and Dalinar have their minor faults, but are solidly heroic. There aren't really any characters who I changed my perception of throughout the book, they all feel a bit static. Sadeas changed into a more nuanced kind of bastard and then just changed back to full bastard as first presented. I suppose Kabsal turned out to be an assassin, but he was pretty minor and then he uh, immediately died.

I hear Words of Radiance is a bit better than this. It almost doesn't need to be in order for me to continue because I think I can just happily read this kind of thing. It's written in a functional kind of way that I think I could pick it up on the train or in spare moments here and there and get through it pretty fast and enjoy building the scenes out in my head, daydreaming about the world it is set in.

I'll take a break though and read something else. Probably another fantasy book. This was my first epic fantasy book like this, so I want to try a different author where the writing quality is a bit higher and see how I feel about that. Then in a month or two, probably grab Words of Radiance.

I just hate his uncreative ways of naming things. He did it in the WoT books too, and even admitted he was bad at it but hasn't shown any growth. There's a ton of side characters in the whole series i couldn't name cause they're like Tsrvbu, Jabriv, Bnar, Laner, Dnadn, Benmedin, trmpt, etc. Sure they're meaningless, but I'd like the author not to outright tell me they are as soon as they are introduced.

At least give them some vowels!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The no vowel guys are all Thaylen. It’s a cultural thing, like Juan being a Hispanic name.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Barreft posted:

I just hate his uncreative ways of naming things. He did it in the WoT books too, and even admitted he was bad at it but hasn't shown any growth. There's a ton of side characters in the whole series i couldn't name cause they're like Tsrvbu, Jabriv, Bnar, Laner, Dnadn, Benmedin, trmpt, etc. Sure they're meaningless, but I'd like the author not to outright tell me they are as soon as they are introduced.

At least give them some vowels!

The naming in Stormlight is actually quite well thought out as the linguistics have been developed, particularly the women's script in Alethi. It's nice to be able to tell by the name whether a character is Thaylen or Irali or Azish.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Just finished Hero of Ages. I am definitely not tearing up at the laundromat

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Omnikin posted:

Read the Wax and Wayne books now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Omnikin posted:

:unsmith:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Evil Fluffy posted:

Read the Wax and Wayne books now.

Best thing is I just completed my healthcare rewards program for the year so I have Amazon giftcards to more than cover the books. Huzzah for useless online classes

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

I started listening to this while playing a game and enjoyed it a lot; I'll watch Twitch livestreams for games I'm interested in buying, but otherwise I usually put on music or a movie for background sound. It was interesting to hear him talk about his work, other authors, and the writing industry in general. I've ended up listening to all three over the past week. The stream also showed off some heretofore unseen art of a Herald character from the Stormlight novels that was cool to see (3rd livestream, around 2:28), I hope he will do more in the future.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Roughly 20% of the way into my first Oathbringer re-read and drat I'm enjoying it so much. November can't get here fast enough.

Kaladin's return to Hearthstone and punching Roshone felt less satisfying to me this time than it did on my first read. I forgot he has a new baby brother though :')

The Dalinar flashback where he goes out into the highstorm looking for his steak knife, only to save Gavilar from an assassin and then use that knife to eat with is so good. And meeting Evi was much more interesting this time around knowing everything that happens. Also in a previous flashback, Sadeas mentions needing to get Dalinar some plate. "What, to protect me?" "Protect you? Storms, no, at this point I'm not even sure a rockslide could kill you" :haw:

I thought it really funny that Shallan, talking to Adolin, mentions she could "survive a sword through the chest" now that she's a Knight Radiant - basically what happened to Jasnah (might've been axe?) yet she has no idea Jasnah's still alive :v: I liked Shallan on my first read through of the series, but on subsequent re-reads she started to annoy me with the multiple personality thing, although so far in OB she hasn't annoyed me. But I think when she gets back to, "Hmmm who do I actually want to be with" then she'll probably start to lose my interest again.

Still not a huge fan of Kaladin just wandering around with the Parshman and bossing them around, feels like this part just goes on a little too long.

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum
This just popped up in my Youtoube-feed for some reason, I found it amusing and I thought I’d share to fellow fans.
It’s old Vines, but from a Stormlight perspective, I guess.
https://youtu.be/MZX3dWa6qU0

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Annnnd the second revision of Stormlight 4 is done:

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1225935684382248960

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martin posted:

This just popped up in my Youtoube-feed for some reason, I found it amusing and I thought I’d share to fellow fans.
It’s old Vines, but from a Stormlight perspective, I guess.
https://youtu.be/MZX3dWa6qU0

Lopen was perfect.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

(no real spoilers, just an odd detail)

Oathbringer, Ch 42 posted:

There were other things, of course. The giant broken stone figures. Parshmen wearing warform, with chitin armor and orange blood. One spot they passed had a whole heap of strange cremlings, burned and smoking. Who would have taken the time to pile up a thousand little crustaceans?

Is this the corpse of one of the things Lift encounters in Edgedancer? :thunk:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sab669 posted:

(no real spoilers, just an odd detail)

Is this the corpse of one of the things Lift encounters in Edgedancer? :thunk:

Yeah, a Dysian Aimian. They get a lot of vague references throughout the series, but that's one of the more unambiguous times. It seems that like Wit, they try to be around during important events to observe (or maybe change) them.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
You may not be there yet. They play a role in the 4th interlude and we get some idea of what they've been up to recently

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is my re-read of OB, but I definitely don't remember it from my first read :)

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Basically, any time you see a strange cremling, it's likely to be a Dysian Aimian. Check out the chapter with Shallan, Adolin and Kaladin in the storm shelter when they're preparing for their expedition.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The people on Tor.com doing an Oathbringer reread have announced that they will stop speculating about future impacts because the beta read of Rhythm of War has started :)

We'll get SA 4 in less than 9 months!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 7, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I need to do a reread of all of TSA and also the second and third part of the Mistborn Trilogy. My memory is Hero of Ages and Oahtbringer were my favorite novels.

And I haven't read anything besides all the Mistborn and TSA novels. I should probably do that. I have Arcanum Unbounded but I think there's more? Like the Edgedancer story somebody just quoted.

Anyway, question:

Can any of the poor sods who got the bad Shards be said to be evil?

Like, apparently, Ruin used to be a swell guy but...well, he's Ruin. Odium was always a jerk but but what does it really matter?

I was just thinking about Ruin and Odium and who is worse/more evil and then realized it's kind of a wrongheaded question. They don't have much choice in the matter.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

And I haven't read anything besides all the Mistborn and TSA novels. I should probably do that. I have Arcanum Unbounded but I think there's more? Like the Edgedancer story somebody just quoted.

As far as other Cosmere works go, here's a list -

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Cosmere#Chronological_Order

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Can any of the poor sods who got the bad Shards be said to be evil?

Like, apparently, Ruin used to be a swell guy but...well, he's Ruin. Odium was always a jerk but but what does it really matter?

I was just thinking about Ruin and Odium and who is worse/more evil and then realized it's kind of a wrongheaded question. They don't have much choice in the matter.

it seems like Ati/Ruin is like a best-case scenario, where a genuinely decent person does his best and fails at restraining the shard's Intent, and Rayse/Odium is the worst case, where an awful person gets an awful Shard and their personalities align perfectly (to everyone else's detriment)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I need to do a reread of all of TSA and also the second and third part of the Mistborn Trilogy. My memory is Hero of Ages and Oahtbringer were my favorite novels.

Funny you should say this because I was just coming in to talk about this! I'm doing a re-read of Mistborn, and I'm really really shocked at how much poorer it fares on the second time through. I still enjoyed the first book a lot but the pacing and the characters felt a lot less engaging to me, but really what shocked me was book 2. I felt it dragged a bit my first time through but I overall enjoyed it, but now on my second time through....

I actually think it's bad. The first tenth of the book covers the aftermath of the end of book 1 and how things recovered, which is fine and good, and the last tenth of the book is.... well, the ending, and it's a Sanderson book, so of course it's amazing. But the other 8/10th's in the middle is almost completely redundant and gets really frustrating at regular points.

The entire plot with Zane and Vin's self doubt is excruciating. Zane is an important character in that he actual provides the first concrete clues on Hemalurgy and Ruin's power, but there's so much superfluous crap it's remarkable.

1) He's Elend's brother. How much relevance does this have to the story? None whatsoever. It not only has no effect on the larger story but even in the minutiae of character interactions it has no effect at all on anything.

2) Zane as a "love" interest for Vin. This is so, so, so bad. The fact that this even showed up is a repudiation of her entire character arc from book 1, it's a rejection of all the reasons she forms relationships with people (based on literally every character in the books she has a relationship with). Her friendships in book 1 all formed because people showed her unconditional trust or affection, or because they displayed curiosity and empathy. None of them - especially not Kelsier himself - happened because she was attracted to their power or their similarity to her (e.g. being mistborn).

The whole arc of learning to love and trust someone already happened, and the realization that people who abuse power don't deserve it already happened, and having "feelings" for Zane despite this just tore down her growth from book 1. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but it was endlessly frustrating to me. The only basis for this connection was his encouragement for her to do what she already wanted to do, which is kill Elend's enemies. But at best that's a basis for a teamup, not a love interest. I get that she's still supposed to be fairly immature at this point in the books, but that doesn't mean it's okay for a character to backslide on fundamental developments that they already made.

3) The mist spirit. An important plot point, but addressed too vaguely, with not enough urgency, over a very long period of time. By the time it starts to matter the reaction of the reader (me) is just "ehh".

4) The deepness. Same as before really, this is obviously a very important part of the setting, but the way it's slow revealed via Sazed's study is very long, there are ton of chapters which seem to exist to only drop hints about Ruin's machinations, but even during a re-read knowing what Ruin is doing, it's not at all obvious what purpose these chapters serve. They just drag way too much.

5) The Siege. Clearly this is an important story point, and sieges by their nature last a long time. But story-wise this really drags, and there are a ton of very superfluous chapters where the situation is discussed by characters, but there is no character growth or story progress. It's just people sitting in a room talking about a thing. I wish whoever had edited this had been more liberal about cutting this stuff down.

These points domination the bulk of the book, which sucks because it overshadows the actual really good parts that are mixed in:

Vin and TenSoon. This storyline is really good and is probably my favorite in the whole series. Every interaction with them is great, and the mixture of mystery with the slow growth of character trust is expertly done, and it has a wonderful conclusion.

Elend learning to be a king. I've said since the first time I read these books that Elend is the actual protagonist, and this is one of the main reasons why. Watching a character grow and change through struggle, and become a better and more capable person without compromising their morals or ideology is great.

I hope book 3 doesn't fall as short of my memory as book 2 does.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 22, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Taffer posted:

Funny you should say this because I was just coming in to talk about this! I'm doing a re-read of Mistborn, and I'm really really shocked at how much poorer it fares on the second time through. I still enjoyed the first book a lot but the pacing and the characters felt a lot less engaging to me, but really what shocked me was book 2. I felt it dragged a bit my first time through but I overall enjoyed it, but now on my second time through....

I actually think it's bad. The first tenth of the book covers the aftermath of the end of book 1 and how things recovered, which is fine and good, and the last tenth of the book is.... well, the ending, and it's a Sanderson book, so of course it's amazing. But the other 8/10th's in the middle is almost completely redundant and gets really frustrating at regular points.

The entire plot with Zane and Vin's self doubt is excruciating. Zane is an important character in that he actual provides the first concrete clues on Hemalurgy and Ruin's power, but there's so much superfluous crap it's remarkable.

1) He's Elend's brother. How much relevance does this have to the story? None whatsoever. It not only has no effect on the larger story but even in the minutiae of character interactions it has no effect at all on anything.

2) Zane as a "love" interest for Vin. This is so, so, so bad. The fact that this even showed up is a repudiation of her entire character arc from book 1, it's a rejection of all the reasons she forms relationships with people (based on literally every character in the books she has a relationship with). Her friendships in book 1 all formed because people showed her unconditional trust or affection, or because they displayed curiosity and empathy. None of them - especially not Kelsier himself - happened because she was attracted to their power or their similarity to her (e.g. being mistborn).

The whole arc of learning to love and trust someone already happened, and the realization that people who abuse power don't deserve it already happened, and having "feelings" for Zane despite this just tore down her growth from book 1. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but it was endlessly frustrating to me. The only basis for this connection was his encouragement for her to do what she already wanted to do, which is kill Elend's enemies. But at best that's a basis for a teamup, not a love interest. I get that she's still supposed to be fairly immature at this point in the books, but that doesn't mean it's okay for a character to backslide on fundamental developments that they already made.

3) The mist spirit. An important plot point, but addressed too vaguely, with not enough urgency, over a very long period of time. By the time it starts to matter the reaction of the reader (me) is just "ehh".

4) The deepness. Same as before really, this is obviously a very important part of the setting, but the way it's slow revealed via Sazed's study is very long, there are ton of chapters which seem to exist to only drop hints about Ruin's machinations, but even during a re-read knowing what Ruin is doing, it's not at all obvious what purpose these chapters serve. They just drag way too much.

5) The Siege. Clearly this is an important story point, and sieges by their nature last a long time. But story-wise this really drags, and there are a ton of very superfluous chapters where the situation is discussed by characters, but there is no character growth or story progress. It's just people sitting in a room talking about a thing. I wish whoever had edited this had been more liberal about cutting this stuff down.

These points domination the bulk of the book, which sucks because it overshadows the actual really good parts that are mixed in:

Vin and TenSoon. This storyline is really good and is probably my favorite in the whole series. Every interaction with them is great, and the mixture of mystery with the slow growth of character trust is expertly done, and it has a wonderful conclusion.

Elend learning to be a king. I've said since the first time I read these books that Elend is the actual protagonist, and this is one of the main reasons why. Watching a character grow and change through struggle, and become a better and more capable person without compromising their morals or ideology is great.

I hope book 3 doesn't fall as short of my memory as book 2 does.

Well I can't promise you how well you'll like Hero of Ages but I never liked the second book much, either. I was very impressed with The Final Empire (my first ever Sanderson novel), Well of Ascension was all meh and then I loved Hero of Ages.

My criticisms are different from yours though, at least maybe in emphasis. This could be due to I'm a Vin stan and love romance stories. I got nothing against Elend but Vin is my favorite Sanderson protagonist to date. I looked at Book 2 and everything with Zane as a very typical romance trope. You got two characters (Vin and Elend) who are profoundly in love so you gotta introduce another character who puts tension in the relationship. It's always obvious the two mains who are in love won't be breaking up but it's an easy source of drama. Sanderson impressed me a lot with Book 1 by avoiding a cliche I expected. Vin's identify being revealed and then a lot of "did you really love me? How can I trust you?" He totally skipped that and I was happy. But Book 2 fully embraced a cliche I'm not a fan of and it didn't do it well, either.

Also In "paranormal romances" you have extra element of being supernatural. Can somebody with superpowers love somebody who doesn't have superpowers? By their unique natures, aren't Vin and Zane more compatible? Elend can never understand Vin's position. (well....)

There's also the very classic temptation towards evil or at least selfishness, which Zane represents. Vin proves herself good and altruistic which ultimately nearly kills everyone but I guess the whiplash works better where she is tempted by evil and selfishness and journeys dangerously close to it but then recoils and tries to do the right thing only to do the very wrong thing.

But yeah I'm not looking forward to revisiting Well of Ascension. But I don't want to just skip it. I got a lot of free time anyway.

I hope you like Hero of Ages. Be sure to report back on how you think it holds up. I only became a Sanderson fan in 2018 so I doubt my views will have changed too much on the books since I first read them.

Sab669 posted:

As far as other Cosmere works go, here's a list -

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Cosmere#Chronological_Order

Hey thanks! Glad Sanderson is so popular. These are all on Audible it looks like. And a lot of the short stories I need are already in AU which I have so cool.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 22, 2020

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I hope you like Hero of Ages. Be sure to report back on how you think it holds up. I only became a Sanderson fan in 2018 so I doubt my views will have changed too much on the books since I first read them.

Glad I'm not the only one. I'm in a similar boat as you, I only got into Sanderson in 2018 (or maybe late 2017), I burned through the Stormlight books then moved onto Warbreaker and Mistborn. I loved the hell out of Stormlight, and still do after a re-read and a half, they're some of my favorite books ever. I thought Warbreaker was okay, and mostly enjoyed Mistborn, but I'm surprised at how different my opinion of it has turned out to be in a re-read after such a relatively short amount of time.

I think it's really obvious that Sanderson's greatest strength is worldbuilding and setting, but one thing I think he's become significantly better at in the Stormlight books is characterization and pacing. I think in previous books he was good at designing characters, but fell back more on cliches in difficult points. Your comments about romance tropes make a lot of sense, it feels like that explains my major problems with Mistborn 2.

I think one of the biggest weakest points of both Mistborn and Stormlight is when protagonists have an identity crisis, where they (suddenly and inexplicably, after a ton of character development) don't know who they are or should be. I mostly liked Shallon in Stormlight, but her struggle with identity in Oathbringer was very tedious and out of place, and it felt like a mirror of what Vin goes through in Well of Ascension.

It's obviously good to have characters wonder what's right, and question the path forward etc, but suddenly having a character go "I love this natural leader who is kind and caring and empathetic and intelligent, but now suddenly I might leave him for this actually insane murderous psychopath because we... have the same powers???". It's just too much, and doesn't mesh with the struggles the character previously overcame.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

I think one of the biggest weakest points of both Mistborn and Stormlight is when protagonists have an identity crisis, where they (suddenly and inexplicably, after a ton of character development) don't know who they are or should be. I mostly liked Shallon in Stormlight, but her struggle with identity in Oathbringer was very tedious and out of place, and it felt like a mirror of what Vin goes through in Well of Ascension.

It's obviously good to have characters wonder what's right, and question the path forward etc, but suddenly having a character go "I love this natural leader who is kind and caring and empathetic and intelligent, but now suddenly I might leave him for this actually insane murderous psychopath because we... have the same powers???". It's just too much, and doesn't mesh with the struggles the character previously overcame.

Vin:Zane::Veil:Kaladin

That's the short version anyway, and I agree that both relationships are poorly written even though they're actually pretty believable considering the age and inexperience of the female characters. It's just not fun to read Sanderson's take on a girl going through her bad boy infatuation in either setting, especially since he does a fairly good job at largely portraying both characters as strong and independent. It makes sense that they make bad decisions about relationships a few times, but it's so predictable and obviously temporary it's just boring.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Taffer posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. I'm in a similar boat as you, I only got into Sanderson in 2018 (or maybe late 2017), I burned through the Stormlight books then moved onto Warbreaker and Mistborn. I loved the hell out of Stormlight, and still do after a re-read and a half, they're some of my favorite books ever. I thought Warbreaker was okay, and mostly enjoyed Mistborn, but I'm surprised at how different my opinion of it has turned out to be in a re-read after such a relatively short amount of time.

I think it's really obvious that Sanderson's greatest strength is worldbuilding and setting, but one thing I think he's become significantly better at in the Stormlight books is characterization and pacing. I think in previous books he was good at designing characters, but fell back more on cliches in difficult points. Your comments about romance tropes make a lot of sense, it feels like that explains my major problems with Mistborn 2.

Wow, we're very much of one mind it seems. I also thought Shallan's identify crisis was the weakest and most tedious part of Oathbringer. I was never able to explain why but your explanation fits.

I think Sanderson is quite good at presenting dynamic, three-dimensional characters. I like Vin because she isn't just a tomboy who kicks rear end. She also enjoys a lot of "girly" things. My favorite character in Mistborn Era 2 is Steris who has grown tremendously from how she started out. She's the picture of some prim and proper lady but there's so much more to her than that. She never stops being a prim and proper lady but that has itsown strength and badassery to it.

He likes to switch things up and I greatly appreciate it.

But yes, the worlbuilding is why I'm here. I love how detailed his magic systems are.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Wow, we're very much of one mind it seems. I also thought Shallan's identify crisis was the weakest and most tedious part of Oathbringer. I was never able to explain why but your explanation fits.

I think Sanderson is quite good at presenting dynamic, three-dimensional characters. I like Vin because she isn't just a tomboy who kicks rear end. She also enjoys a lot of "girly" things. My favorite character in Mistborn Era 2 is Steris who has grown tremendously from how she started out. She's the picture of some prim and proper lady but there's so much more to her than that. She never stops being a prim and proper lady but that has itsown strength and badassery to it.

He likes to switch things up and I greatly appreciate it.

But yes, the worlbuilding is why I'm here. I love how detailed his magic systems are.

Vin's crisis was fine she spent her entire life with 0 self esteem and really was a mass murderer at that point which can weigh heavily on a person.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The thing I liked about Sazed’s studies in book 2 was He reads something about Trell in there, and I was really surprised when that one or two sentence bit came back in a big way much, much later.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's still hilarious that Brandon was all like "oh no, book 3 can't be Szeth's book, Stones Unhallowed, because that could lead to title confusion with the surely imminent release of Doors of Stone by my good friend Patrick Rothfuss", then he was like "oh no, book 4 can't be Szeth's book because of Doors of Stone". I wonder if Sanderson will realize that there will never be a third Kingkiller book, or if he renames book 5 just in case.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Well the abbreviations of each book is going to form a ketek:

WoK WoR O RoW KoW

The best guess I've heard for the title of book 5 has to be Knife of Woe.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It’s been a while but I don’t remember Vin being attracted or having feelings for Zane even for a moment. Even when she almost leaves with him it’s framed as doing what’s best for Elend.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Avalerion posted:

It’s been a while but I don’t remember Vin being attracted or having feelings for Zane even for a moment. Even when she almost leaves with him it’s framed as doing what’s best for Elend.

I haven't read it in a while and the Zane/Elend romance subplot tends to grate, but I believe she goes on about how she would belong better or similar with someone like Zane because of their powers.

Maybe I'm mixing up Zane's arguments.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

WoK WoR O RoW KoW

Wow, good catch. But I do like Stones Unhallowed as a title for Szeth's book :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leng posted:

WoK WoR O RoW KoW

Kname of the Wind