Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fallom posted:

I really like this one:

BUBM Universal Bilayer Travel... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C8JW9RW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It has a little pouch in the back for bulky items.

I have that very one, except grey. I love it.

Fallom posted:

Edit: oh no they don’t make it anymore :(

Boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I love my Peak Designs Tech Pouch, although its a bit pricy:

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/tech-pouch

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys! I ordered some cheap BUBM bag off Amazon but if it doesn’t work I will check some of those additional listings out.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

A few random questions if anyone here has any ideas:

1. Anyone know of a decent piece of "burn in" software for Mac OS which can stress test RAM, CPU, and GPU?

2. We have an old 2013 Mac Pro which has had these freezing issues throughout its entire life. AppleCare was never helpful and it ended up just sitting in a closet the past three years since it was unacceptable to have productive employees on a computer which froze 2+ times/day. I was rummaging around and found it the other day and now am curious about if anyone's found any solutions for this over the past 3 years, since with a cheap CPU upgrade this would still be a very capable desktop?

3. Apple has said that they will replace the guts of the computer for $450 in order to fix the problem. But since they don't even know what the problem is I'm not exact confident this will fix it. It looks like upgraded 2013 Pros are still selling for decent amounts ($1,000+) on eBay, so I'm curious if the replacement would be worthwhile, if only so it'd then be sellable.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Does running a diagnostic show anything? (Hold D on boot)

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

American McGay posted:

Does running a diagnostic show anything? (Hold D on boot)
Nothing, sadly. And no luck with the basic version of ASD at the Apple Store. They did not run the 45m+ version.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sent from my iPad posted:

A few random questions if anyone here has any ideas:

1. Anyone know of a decent piece of "burn in" software for Mac OS which can stress test RAM, CPU, and GPU?

2. We have an old 2013 Mac Pro which has had these freezing issues throughout its entire life. AppleCare was never helpful and it ended up just sitting in a closet the past three years since it was unacceptable to have productive employees on a computer which froze 2+ times/day. I was rummaging around and found it the other day and now am curious about if anyone's found any solutions for this over the past 3 years, since with a cheap CPU upgrade this would still be a very capable desktop?

3. Apple has said that they will replace the guts of the computer for $450 in order to fix the problem. But since they don't even know what the problem is I'm not exact confident this will fix it. It looks like upgraded 2013 Pros are still selling for decent amounts ($1,000+) on eBay, so I'm curious if the replacement would be worthwhile, if only so it'd then be sellable.

Many of the 2013 Mac Pros had issues with the GPU sockets. I had one that would run fine headless, but as soon as you plug a monitor into it it'd freeze. I believe there was a recall for that. Maybe try running it without a display?

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

smackfu posted:

Now that I got a new monitor, I’m finally living the USB-C one cable life... except I have to switch the cable between a MBP and a mini sometimes. Does anyone make a switch that would avoid manually repluggjng? Just needs two USB-C going in and one going out. (Lots of KVM boxes that have a bunch of other junk going out.)

Second question, can anyone suggest a nice braided USB-C data cable?

I’ve been looking for this also; have read a few reviews but no clear standout yet

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Ended up sending my MacBook 16" for repair. The wake from sleep issue just kept getting worse.
While I was there and they were looking at it the idiot turned the MacBook upside down and slide it across the desk and ended up scratching the top of it.
gently caress my life.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thinking about picking up a CalDigit TS3 Plus dock, and Amazon has it for $279 while Apple has it for $249? WTF?

I've seen it as low as $229 on Amazon, maybe I'll just wait until then..

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Binary Badger posted:

Thinking about picking up a CalDigit TS3 Plus dock, and Amazon has it for $279 while Apple has it for $249? WTF?

I bought one directly from Apple and used the difference in price to justify getting the two hour delivery.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Caldigit is selling that directly on Amazon so they are setting the price and probably discouraging you from using Amazon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Caldigit is selling that directly on Amazon so they are setting the price and probably discouraging you from using Amazon.

Yeah, that's probably to account for the % that Amazon takes from the sale.

Monoprice does the same thing, everything on their Amazon store is the price of their own website + shipping + Amazon's cut.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Binary Badger posted:

What about the USB-C Pro dock? It has TB3, and when CalDigit has their usual sales, can be had for $160-180 usually. It doesn't have as many ports as the TS3, so that would be the only issue.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I actually couldn’t ever get the TS3’s Ethernet working in MacOS. Is Tim just that committed to dongle life?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

I actually couldn’t ever get the TS3’s Ethernet working in MacOS. Is Tim just that committed to dongle life?

Mine works fine. :iiam:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Bought a 2019 13" Air a week ago. My first Mac laptop, replacing a Pixelbook that just died (Don't buy those). I went with the 128GB model, which seems to maybe have been a mistake. Do you all think it's worth the hassle of returning to get the 256GB model? I bought it on sale for $899, so I think I got a decent deal and it's not that price anymore.

I'm also super jealous because my wife just picked up a 16" i9 a few weeks ago.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think so. 128gig SSDs aren't as durable as the larger sizes and are usually slower too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Bought a 2019 13" Air a week ago. My first Mac laptop, replacing a Pixelbook that just died (Don't buy those). I went with the 128GB model, which seems to maybe have been a mistake. Do you all think it's worth the hassle of returning to get the 256GB model? I bought it on sale for $899, so I think I got a decent deal and it's not that price anymore.

128gb ruined my experience with my old Air. Within about a year and a half I’d maxed it out and it became a huge pain in the rear end to deal with. Ended up giving it to my parents.

If it matters to you the Air is due for an update this year (at least I hope they swap in the new keyboard). Even if the new features aren’t worthwhile it means 2018 models get a more permanent and sizable price cut (there is no 2019).

Edit- fwiw, refurb 128gb models are currently $929 and 256gb are $1019 straight from Apple, and that price ain’t changing until new models come out.

And if you haven’t heard the pitch before, Apple refurbs are legendarily impossible to tell apart from new. Many are just new-in-box that got picked out for a company event or demo and never used. In fact some posters say they’re better than new since even the ones that came in with defects get run through their own QC individually and given new serial #s. Plus you get warranty and AppleCare access and so forth it’s a good deal. I’d do 256gb for $1019 vs 128 for $899 any day, even if Apple still overcharges for storage.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 22, 2020

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Daniel Bryan posted:

The correct option is steal your wife’s laptop, perhaps running off to Costa Rica to live in a van if necessary. If that’s too unappealing I’d return for at least 256, 128 with the OS is going to be really rough imo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A refurb 256GB Air is $1099 if the place you bought it from stopped doing the deal. I’d say it’s worth swapping, 128GB is very restrictive

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hatty posted:

A refurb 256GB Air is $1099 if the place you bought it from stopped doing the deal. I’d say it’s worth swapping, 128GB is very restrictive

$1019 from Apple

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I bought a Surface Laptop 3 while I wait for 13" MBP refresh and the drat thing has a known issue since launch where it disables one of its antennas and puts the other one in a low-power state and then fails to wake them from ACPI Sleep, resulting in seriously degraded WiFi performance on wake without a cycle of the network adapter. They haven't even acknowledged the issue and it's universal. And this is supposed to be one of the best Windows laptops out there, too!

I guess it was hoping for too much that PC manufacturers caught up in the last 4 years of darkness for Apple portables

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

hatty posted:

Are refurbs okay? I remember reading about 10 years ago how the refurbs were good and then I had 2 refurb iMacs have major issues out of the box.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Apple refurbs are perfect and better than new.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Keyword being “Apple”. Official refurb store or bust. I wouldn’t buy a refurbed Mac from literally anywhere else, unless it was some sort of vintage collectors thing or whatever.

Every once in a while we’ll get a newb complaining about the terrible state of the “professionally refurbished” MacBook they got from Amazon or Best Buy or eBay.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Well yeah, obviously. The iMacs I bought were from the Apple store.

What I may end up doing is waiting to see if the MBA goes on sale within the next few weeks again, and exchanging if it does. If not, I'll probably just stick with what I have and get an external SSD. This isn't my main computer anyway, mainly used for web browsing, word processing, and a few other things that shouldn't take up much additional space.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Famous last words but ydy

Sounds like a pretty generous return policy on that laptop

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

American McGay posted:

An accurate statement if you consider that through Apple's refurb process, all defective parts are replaced, so you get a machine that's already been tested at least twice and had any flaws in it corrected.

Refurbs come in plain white boxes to show that they're refurbs, though. Some law about not selling 'used' SKUs as new in original packaging applies.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Keyword being “Apple”. Official refurb store or bust. I wouldn’t buy a refurbed Mac from literally anywhere else, unless it was some sort of vintage collectors thing or whatever.

Every once in a while we’ll get a newb complaining about the terrible state of the “professionally refurbished” MacBook they got from Amazon or Best Buy or eBay.

Yes, because Apple has a real refurbishment process. Anything from Amazon or Best Buy probably went through this process:

1) open box
2) everything in there? (ignore if not)
3) close box and re-shrinkwrap
4) put up for sale

Anything from eBay:

1) hold box in your arms, think 'this unit is REFURBISHED!~!!@!!'
2) put up for sale

Lastly, IMHO Apple shouldn't be offering 128 GB in a laptop ITYOOL 2020, just because anyone who is serious into video and music media will fill that up immediately.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

American McGay posted:

I've had a bad experience with an officially-Apple-refurbed iPad. The lock switch would jump states without physically moving positions, and the back camera would sometimes refuse to initialize (so any software that tried to use it would freeze or crash).

But, since Apple refurbs have a full warranty, they took care of it.

Binary Badger posted:

Lastly, IMHO Apple shouldn't be offering 128 GB in a laptop ITYOOL 2020, just because anyone who is serious into video and music media will fill that up immediately.

Streaming is a thing, and it's become the norm for most people.

I don't think I'd recommend 128GB to anybody buying a Mac in the first place, but a college student looking to type papers could probably get by without horrible hassle.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 22, 2020

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
A friend of mine had a refurb 13” MBP show up DOA. Super weird but I guess poo poo happens. At least the return was straightforward.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MrBond posted:

A friend of mine had a refurb 13” MBP show up DOA. Super weird but I guess poo poo happens. At least the return was straightforward.

I had a brand new 15 inch MBP show up DOA.

Definitely wasn’t expecting that. Easy swap though.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Famous last words but ydy

Sounds like a pretty generous return policy on that laptop

I have 30 days from date of purchase, so a few more weeks to decide.

Binary Badger posted:

Yes, because Apple has a real refurbishment process. Anything from Amazon or Best Buy probably went through this process:

1) open box
2) everything in there? (ignore if not)
3) close box and re-shrinkwrap
4) put up for sale
I guess I can't really speak to the refurbishment units but Best Buy does more testing than this on their Open Box computers. (Open Box just means it was returned and can't be re-sold as new). The hard drive is usually wiped at least twice with zeroing to ensure no previous data is readable, and then tests are run to ensure no hardware is failing, along with strict guidelines on cosmetic condition.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Daniel Bryan posted:

The hard drive is usually wiped at least twice with zeroing

In 2020

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

benisntfunny posted:

Wrong but okay. Gonna run “VMs” on 16gb? The gently caress?

i run dozens of vms on 16gb. They just aren't using 4GB+ at the same time since they are stripped down to the essentials.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Malcolm XML posted:

i run dozens of vms on 16gb. They just aren't using 4GB+ at the same time since they are stripped down to the essentials.

Think that really depends on what your essentials are. Probably better off using docker.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

Think that really depends on what your essentials are. Probably better off using docker.
Hell I assumed dozens of stripped down VMs in 16GB was referring to Docker in the first place.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

japtor posted:

Hell I assumed dozens of stripped down VMs in 16GB was referring to Docker in the first place.

Same

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I just a couple of Windows VMs on my 16GB 2013 -- but mostly just for QAing the frontend of some non-resource intensive software, so 2GB per VM is fine, probably overkill. All depends on your use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I just a couple of Windows VMs on my 16GB 2013 -- but mostly just for QAing the frontend of some non-resource intensive software, so 2GB per VM is fine, probably overkill. All depends on your use case.

Sheesh, I did it in 8GB on my old 2012, windows and Linux both.