Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Fortunately there's no reward, not even an achievement for doing it, it's pure bragging rights. There's an almost meaninglessly vague 2 second cutscene that you can youtube once you get to that point if you really really REALLY want to Explore The Deepest Lore. The cutscene mostly is there to let you know you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

More like the Path of Complain

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Martman posted:

More like the Path of Complain

When I said it was for people who enjoy suffering, I wasn't complaining. I am very much the target audience.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
More like oldpathofpainless

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Are any items/skills/rewards missable? Like, you have to get it the first time you go to an area, or you can make the wrong choice when interacting with someone?

Starting a playthrough (only 5 hours total previously) and don't want to miss cool stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No, the entire game is built around backtracking, you can’t miss anything important, the only missable content is like a few voice lines here and there

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

pmchem posted:

Are any items/skills/rewards missable? Like, you have to get it the first time you go to an area, or you can make the wrong choice when interacting with someone?

Starting a playthrough (only 5 hours total previously) and don't want to miss cool stuff.

Nope, just the bad ending for the main game and an alternate ending for the grim troupe. Items are always accessible and never locked out. I’m not sure about the bestiary but I think it’s the same.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
AFAIK there are no missable Beastiary entries. Even if you don't have the Beastiary and kill a unique enemy, you'll still get credit for that kill when you do pick it up.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I think there's one item you can miss permanently, but it's only something you can exchange for cash, and its not anything unique.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

There are a couple of pairs of mutually exclusive NPC story endings, though, each of which have an achievement. One pair has no mechanical significance at all, while the other pair - the splitting point of which is encountered pretty early on - can lock you out of a couple fights: if you let Zote die near the beginning, you won't get to finish his or Bretta's questline, which means you never fight him in the colosseum, you never fight his dream version, and I think he doesn't show up in the Godseeker boss rush stuff.

No exclusive items or abilities, though.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
There are no missable (unique) items in the base game, but the devs have patched in some content you can potentially lock yourself out of seeing. For best results, make sure to help your pals Zote and Grimm.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You can accidentally lock yourself into the easy path for Zote's and Grimm's questlines. Which makes you technically better off, but makes you miss cool bossifights.
You can also miss some lore reveals if you complete the dreamers too quickly, especially the spider one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:siren:you can miss out on achievements:siren:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's impossible to get every achievement on your first run anyway.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Someone please teach me how to beat NKG without leaning on Shape of Unn for easy healing during his flame column attack.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm afraid the answer is to not get hit so you don't need to heal in the first place.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

C-Euro posted:

Someone please teach me how to beat NKG without leaning on Shape of Unn for easy healing during his flame column attack.

Do a few attempts where you're not even trying to hit him, just to practise identifying his tells and dodging them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
In pretty much any action game, the best way to learn -- the fastest and the least likely to result in counter-productive habits -- is to first learn accuracy first, speed second. Break stuff down into specific tasks (exactly like what SirSamVimes is suggesting), prioritize the tasks you have to do constantly and without thinking and practice those first, then move on to the ones you only have to do opportunistically or a limited number of times.

Also if you're really stuck and spending hours and hours trying to get it right, consider recording yourself and watching the replay. Try to identify and articulate what went wrong, it'll help you fix it faster than going on pure instinct.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Is there some penalty for beating him with Shape of Unn?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
No, but he's presumably doing the pantheon and doesn't want to be stuck with Unn for a whole segment.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also the flame column attack is the easiest place to get a bunch of hits in so it's good not to rely on it for healing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Pantheon 4 down :toot: Pure Vessel might be my favorite fight in the game right now.

Also that post-Pantheon scene :aaa: Guess I need to learn Pantheon 5...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Pantheon 4 down :toot: Pure Vessel might be my favorite fight in the game right now.

Also that post-Pantheon scene :aaa: Guess I need to learn Pantheon 5...

Pure vessel is such a good hard fight. Good luck with pantheon 5... felt like a god when I finished it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Arrhythmia posted:

Pure vessel is such a good hard fight. Good luck with pantheon 5... felt like a god when I finished it.

:allears:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I keep forgetting there's a Hollow Knight thread and a Silksong thread

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

YggiDee posted:

I keep forgetting there's a Hollow Knight thread and a Silksong thread

wait where

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Bleck posted:

wait where

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882236

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Arrhythmia posted:

Pure vessel is such a good hard fight.

It's great! Two things I really like are that it's a pretty quick fight and that most of its attacks have distinct audio cues. The light arrows attack was a huge pain when I first got to the fight, but once I learned to listen for the whispers that precede it I almost never got hit by it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Beat PV last night on without getting hit...on Ascended difficulty :sad: It's gonna take me 50 tries to beat it on Radiant now.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hey what the gently caress was wrong with the people who made this game when they made markoth

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

lets hang out posted:

hey what the gently caress was wrong with the people who made this game when they made markoth
maybe they hate some guy named mark and wanted to emphasize that moths are serious business in hollow knight

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

lets hang out posted:

You can easily get a good amount of heals in when they do the fast spinny shield thing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Markoth is fine when you have a floor to fight him on, but doing it in the hard version of his arena is a pain in the rear end. I got lucky with him on my first Pantheon of Hallownest run that made it that far and now I'm expecting him to end at least one future attempt.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally beat The Eternal Ordeal

What a hilarious and also horrifying battle

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Finally beat The Eternal Ordeal

What a hilarious and also horrifying battle
Ugh, of course there's one more thing I didn't realize you could do in this game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Every time I see the thread title it bugs me. I just realized why.

It should be Little Bug on a grand adventure or Little bug's on a grand adventure.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Revisionist of you to not appreciate Cloth's adventure

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There are several bugs on adventure in this story, including the protagonist, Cloth, Hornet, Quirrel, and Tiso, so the grammar checks out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waltzing Along posted:

Every time I see the thread title it bugs me. I just realized why.

It should be Little Bug on a grand adventure or Little bug's on a grand adventure.

Quirrell is on an adventure too thank you very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They all deserve a spin-off game.