Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I've honestly never even seen the two primers you mention in a store. Where are you seeing it?

The brands are a lot more well known in the scale modelling side of things. Sorry I assumed you knew about them and had info they changed recipes or something.

sources that its relabelled Stynylrez

https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/tbpainting-ultimate-primer

http://airbrushandanalog.blogspot.com/2017/05/one-shot-primer-from-ammo-by-mig-jimenez.html

https://michtoy-from-the-front.blogspot.com/2018/07/mtsc-product-spotlight-badger-stynylrez.html

links to buy

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/60ml-grey-one-shot-primer-ammo-mig-jimenez-a-mig-2024
- they also carry straight Stynylrez too it seems!

https://www.umpretail.com/products/ultimate-primer-120ml-grey

https://www.emodels.co.uk/ultimate-120ml-white-primer-badger-stynylrez-029.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm working on my first Chaos Marine and I'm not content with what I have so far. I wanted to go for a really bright blue so I put a basecoat of VGC Magic Blue, shaded with Agrax Earthshade for some definition, then most of the surface is repainted with the Magic Blue and then highlighted with VGC Electric Blue. The result is a good looking model imo but I think I need to go brighter because it looks too much like the Thousand Sons motif with bronze trim and when I've tried steel trim it looks too much like the Alpha Legion. I've tinted the bronze a couple times with AP Red Tone to try to make the trim look more coppery than bronze and it helps a bit but it still looks too much like Thousand Sons. I want my bad boys to be unique, so I think maybe I should push the blue into more of an icy paler blue but I'm not sure what color would be best to buy.

color isnt everything. give the dude an icon on his pauldron. this is a fantasy setting and color isnt anything. i've been painting space wolves and ive seen color schemes go from gray to dark blue to brown. all that makes it a space wolf is A) the wolf on its pauldron, b) ornamentation and c) imagination. going by color alone makes it so people might thing 'its blue, maybe its an ultramarine'. even minor scrutiny will make them change their mind. the pauldron will confirm it. dont fall into the trap of needing more colors.

idk if you read night lords by ADB but its pretty clear that the night lords at least are unable to make their armor from scratch and cannibalize it from other space marines they kill, then spray paint it dark blue or whatever, so lore wise chaos marines dont even need to be consistent, especially if you just make up a warband

im pooping! fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 21, 2020

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

That is weird as hell. I've heard of MIG certainly but never any connection to Stynlrez. Barwells the Badger distributor in the UK is at all the major wargaming/scale shows with big displays of Stynlrez. TIL.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TTerrible posted:

That is weird as hell. I've heard of MIG certainly but never any connection to Stynlrez. Barwells the Badger distributor in the UK is at all the major wargaming/scale shows with big displays of Stynlrez. TIL.

I think there was a time when importing was more difficult which is where UMP started to carry it. the official badger product seems more accessible from the quick google. UMP feels like more of a garage brand but has a decent presence at shows, I got my last bottle of primer at Telford.

Its good stuff! I still use Mr Surfacer for scale modelling but minis I use the ultimate primer after struggling enormously with vallejo.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

I need their Pink primer (Dull Pink), sorry I thought I had mentioned this.

E: I'm trying to follow this guide so I guess I could prime white and then make a light coat of a light pink but I have no idea what paint would be equivalent to Dull Pink.

Furism fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 21, 2020

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

I think there was a time when importing was more difficult which is where UMP started to carry it. the official badger product seems more accessible from the quick google. UMP feels like more of a garage brand but has a decent presence at shows, I got my last bottle of primer at Telford.

Its good stuff! I still use Mr Surfacer for scale modelling but minis I use the ultimate primer after struggling enormously with vallejo.

The white Badger is (of course) more problematic for me but the black is so, so lovely.

EDIT: They did completely change the terracotta red brown primer at one point. I started using it then couldn't get a match to continue.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i would really like it if vallejo did collections of primers the way they do for inks or metallics

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

i would really like it if vallejo did collections of primers the way they do for inks or metallics

They do;

Tone Pack - Metal, Bronze, Copper, Gold (4oz or 2oz)

Triple Pack - Black, White, Grey (4oz)

Full Pack - White, Gray, Black, Red Brown, Olive Green, Neutral, Light Flesh, Ebony Flesh, Dull Pink, Oceanic Blue, Metal, Gloss Black, Bronze, Copper, Gold, Terracotta, Pale Sage, Pale Mustard (2oz or 4oz)

I've seen these shrinkwrapped together but it might be a UK distributor thing.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I'm still painting Malifaux stuff, and still doing an "only OSL" theme. It's pretty fun, and good practice.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TTerrible posted:

The white Badger is (of course) more problematic for me but the black is so, so lovely.

EDIT: They did completely change the terracotta red brown primer at one point. I started using it then couldn't get a match to continue.

I picked up some Mahogany Mr. Surfacer which apparently is all the rage in the Ma.K community which I'm excited about trying out but I mostly do minis when I'm sick of shooting lacquers and running an airbrush and want to mostly do something with brush work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Electric Hobo posted:

I'm still painting Malifaux stuff, and still doing an "only OSL" theme. It's pretty fun, and good practice.

This makes me almost want to play Malifaux on their own. Excellent job.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jesus WEP posted:

i think any blue that leans to the aqua/green side will always evoke Sons, especially with a metallic trim

I'm thinking about painting the trim a nonmetallic color, maybe a black-gray and then going pushing the blue ceramite highlights up to an icy blue hue, sort of like Emperor's Children but bright blue instead of bright pink

im pooping! posted:

color isnt everything. give the dude an icon on his pauldron. this is a fantasy setting and color isnt anything. i've been painting space wolves and ive seen color schemes go from gray to dark blue to brown. all that makes it a space wolf is A) the wolf on its pauldron, b) ornamentation and c) imagination. going by color alone makes it so people might thing 'its blue, maybe its an ultramarine'. even minor scrutiny will make them change their mind. the pauldron will confirm it. dont fall into the trap of needing more colors.

idk if you read night lords by ADB but its pretty clear that the night lords at least are unable to make their armor from scratch and cannibalize it from other space marines they kill, then spray paint it dark blue or whatever, so lore wise chaos marines dont even need to be consistent, especially if you just make up a warband

I did read those books, they're the only 40k fiction I really liked and iirc in one of the books it said their armor was actually chased in bone, not bronze. Regardless, I get what you're saying but I really do want to come up with my own individual color scheme this time around.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 21, 2020

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

im pooping! posted:

I totally agree. I did a Word Bearer kill team with my own shade of red, and with the transfers on the shoulder there is no question they're Word Bearers.

Right now I'm painting Thousand Sons with a much darker blue, but with the damned head dresses and tabard there is no question what they are. I could paint them bright yellow, and the goofy loving head dresses would still give them away. It is the model and trappings, not just the colors, that make the army.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up the crisis suits that have been lurking under my bed for a couple of years, not totally happy with them but good enough.

These also coincide with 3 years of being in the hobby! :toot:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They look great. I love the sea base.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Calling it a day on this. I have a second one to do so I'll return to some weathering around the endrin supports and think about the base more later but I'm really pleased with my first KO model

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JBP posted:

Calling it a day on this. I have a second one to do so I'll return to some weathering around the endrin supports and think about the base more later but I'm really pleased with my first KO model

Big Sunless Sea/Skies vibes, which is great. How'd you do the oxidized metal?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Winklebottom posted:

Big Sunless Sea/Skies vibes, which is great. How'd you do the oxidized metal?

All the corrosion is some leadbelcher then typhus corrosion and then nuln oil or agrax earthshade and fire dragon bright. It's surprisingly easy to do and really forgiving because you can just add more schmutz.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JBP posted:

All the corrosion is some leadbelcher then typhus corrosion and then nuln oil or agrax earthshade and fire dragon bright. It's surprisingly easy to do and really forgiving because you can just add more schmutz.

Neat, gotta pick up some typhus corrosion to play around with at some point. I presume the verdigris is Nihilakh Oxide?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Winklebottom posted:

Neat, gotta pick up some typhus corrosion to play around with at some point. I presume the verdigris is Nihilakh Oxide?

If you mean the white looking parts that's where I knocked the model over into a blob of paint then ran it under water to get it off while in tears.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JBP posted:

If you mean the white looking parts that's where I knocked the model over into a blob of paint then ran it under water to get it off while in tears.

Hah, nah. I mean't the teal-ish parts, like these:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Winklebottom posted:

Hah, nah. I mean't the teal-ish parts, like these:

Lol the second one is some of the white paint that needs fixing. The effect comes from the pre-shade though. I airbrushed in black shading over a grey primer then I airbrushed over the whole model with coelia greenshade. Worked it out by experimenting on an old tank for an hour just trying different paints and found that the shade have everything the exact kind of tone I wanted.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

JBP posted:

Lol the second one is some of the white paint that needs fixing. The effect comes from the pre-shade though. I airbrushed in black shading over a grey primer then I airbrushed over the whole model with coelia greenshade. Worked it out by experimenting on an old tank for an hour just trying different paints and found that the shade have everything the exact kind of tone I wanted.

It's a really natural looking verdigris effect, nicely done

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Painted up some nolzurs guards and some quick and dirty elementals for a campaign I’m running

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Finally working on painting again, wanted to throw up a quick picture along with a question. And as I was taking the picture for this I had the thought that maybe this is supposed to be smoke instead of fire but we doin' fire now so gently caress it.

What is a good plain/bright yellow paint to buy? Currently running GW paints and have some reds and an orange but no yellow except Nazdreg Yellow which is too brown. I'm not opposed to buying non-GW paint. I want the yellow to spice up this fire and in general be a useful yellow base to use straight or to mix with my other colors.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

What is a good plain/bright yellow paint to buy? Currently running GW paints and have some reds and an orange but no yellow except Nazdreg Yellow which is too brown. I'm not opposed to buying non-GW paint. I want the yellow to spice up this fire and in general be a useful yellow base to use straight or to mix with my other colors.
I like Vallejo Flat Yellow as my generic yellow. Their Air range has Moon Yellow, which is paler, and Sun Yellow, which is more orange.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

I like Vallejo Flat Yellow as my generic yellow. Their Air range has Moon Yellow, which is paler, and Sun Yellow, which is more orange.

Seconding this. Vallejo Flat Yellow is a good generic yellow that actually gets half decent coverage.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks I'll pick some up (more likely have to order it but anyway).

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Max Wilco posted:

Does anybody know the differences between the various Citadel Metallic Paints? I know this must sound like a dumb question, but I have some trouble in distinguishing them.

With Silver there's Leadbelcher (the standard 'gunmetal' base color), but now there's Grey Knights Steel, Iron Warriors, and Iron Hands Steel. Grey Knights Steel I know has the blue tint, but I don't know what shades Iron Warriors and Iron Hands Steel have for sure (Iron Hands looks kind of brown, Iron Warriors looks like black metal). With the Layer Paints, there's Stormhost Silver, Runefang Steel, and Ironbreaker (which in that order, seem to go from lightest to darkest)

With Gold there's Retributor Armor and Balthasar Gold, but I recall seeing Balthasar Gold as being intended to obtain more of a bronze color from the Citadel Paint App. Out of the layer paints, Gehenna Gold (from the swatches on GW's site) seems to have warm, reddish tone to it, while Auric Armor is a bright yellow, and Liberator Gold is more de-saturated.

Iron Hands is bright and shiney, like Ironbreaker as a basecoat. Iron warriors is darker, like Leadbelcher with a nuln oil wash. Runefang and Ironbreaker are brighter colours for highlighting and raising up Leadbelcher but honestly you can skip both of them now that Iron Hands is a thing. Leadbelcher, Iron Warriors and Iron Hands are all great paints. Get Stormhost Silver for edge highlight.

Retributor is bright yellow gold, Balthazar gold is a bronze. Balthazar gold is my favourite colour ever and if they made it in a spray I'd do everything in it. It's a warm bronze colour that walks easily into any of the Citadel copper/bronze/brass paints and has great coverage and control (Sycorax bronze is my favourite Balthazar Gold highlight/layer). Auric armour is a layer that goes onto Retributor to make it even brighter - and that is all it does. It's got a really weird watery consistency that makes it horrible in literally every other situation. Liberator is mostly for highlights but can be used to make the gold colder. These guys are done with Auric layers and Liberator highlights:

(E: The silver on these guys is leadbelcher+nuln oil gloss wash highlighted stormhost)

These guys are just Retributor:

NOTE: These are retributor > (Optional auric layer) > wash Riekland Fleshshade (optional gloss version) > Wash watered down Rhinox hide (this is the secret sauce) > Highlight Liberator > Highlight stormhost

Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/zVvpN76

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 22, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Thanqol posted:

Retributor is bright yellow gold, Balthazar gold is a bronze. Balthazar gold is my favourite colour ever and if they made it in a spray I'd do everything in it. It's a warm bronze colour that walks easily into any of the Citadel copper/bronze/brass paints and has great coverage and control (Sycorax bronze is my favourite Balthazar Gold highlight/layer).

Currently doing some Stormcasts in bronze and can confirm that Balthazar Gold (and Sycorax Bronze) owns.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 23, 2020

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Verisimilidude posted:

Painted up some nolzurs guards and some quick and dirty elementals for a campaign I’m running

These look really nice, I love those guards.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Max Wilco posted:

Does anybody know the differences between the various Citadel Metallic Paints? I know this must sound like a dumb question, but I have some trouble in distinguishing them.

With Silver there's Leadbelcher (the standard 'gunmetal' base color), but now there's Grey Knights Steel, Iron Warriors, and Iron Hands Steel. Grey Knights Steel I know has the blue tint, but I don't know what shades Iron Warriors and Iron Hands Steel have for sure (Iron Hands looks kind of brown, Iron Warriors looks like black metal). With the Layer Paints, there's Stormhost Silver, Runefang Steel, and Ironbreaker (which in that order, seem to go from lightest to darkest)

With Gold there's Retributor Armor and Balthasar Gold, but I recall seeing Balthasar Gold as being intended to obtain more of a bronze color from the Citadel Paint App. Out of the layer paints, Gehenna Gold (from the swatches on GW's site) seems to have warm, reddish tone to it, while Auric Armor is a bright yellow, and Liberator Gold is more de-saturated.

I slapped some of my metallic paints on a base for you. Going clockwise, starting at 9 o'clock, we have:
Balthazar Gold in the top left with a bit of Fulgrumite Copper splashed on top
a bit of red left over from the previous use with a zigzag of Stormhost Silver still visible.
Grey Knights Steel in the top right, showing off that blue tinge.
Iron Hands Steel in the bottom right, with a splash of Stormhost Silver shared between it and the Leadbelcher, bottom middle.
Retri Armor, bottom left, with a swath of Auric Armor Gold in the middle of it.

I'm getting very good results out of using Retri Armor for my metallic yellow (it's such a rich, warm gold) and Iron Hands Steel for my silver/metal base, though you can see it looks fairly similar to Leadbelcher under this bright light.

Here's the same thing under somewhat dimmer light. The Auric Armor stands out a lot more, and you can see the difference between the Leadbelcher and the Iron Hands steel much more clearly.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 23, 2020

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
My hand has never shaken more than trying to do the pupils on these eyes

Edit: Was white over the eye, black for the pupil, then the Spiritstone Red GW thing for the gloss red, then a dot of white to make it pop

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 23, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

My hand has never shaken more than trying to do the pupils on these eyes

You nailed it, looks awesome.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Thanqol posted:

Iron Hands is bright and shiney, like Ironbreaker as a basecoat. Iron warriors is darker, like Leadbelcher with a nuln oil wash. Runefang and Ironbreaker are brighter colours for highlighting and raising up Leadbelcher but honestly you can skip both of them now that Iron Hands is a thing. Leadbelcher, Iron Warriors and Iron Hands are all great paints. Get Stormhost Silver for edge highlight.

Retributor is bright yellow gold, Balthazar gold is a bronze. Balthazar gold is my favourite colour ever and if they made it in a spray I'd do everything in it. It's a warm bronze colour that walks easily into any of the Citadel copper/bronze/brass paints and has great coverage and control (Sycorax bronze is my favourite Balthazar Gold highlight/layer). Auric armour is a layer that goes onto Retributor to make it even brighter - and that is all it does. It's got a really weird watery consistency that makes it horrible in literally every other situation. Liberator is mostly for highlights but can be used to make the gold colder. These guys are done with Auric layers and Liberator highlights:

(E: The silver on these guys is leadbelcher+nuln oil gloss wash highlighted stormhost)

These guys are just Retributor:

NOTE: These are retributor > (Optional auric layer) > wash Riekland Fleshshade (optional gloss version) > Wash watered down Rhinox hide (this is the secret sauce) > Highlight Liberator > Highlight stormhost

Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/zVvpN76

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I slapped some of my metallic paints on a base for you. Going clockwise, starting at 9 o'clock, we have:
Balthazar Gold in the top left with a bit of Fulgrumite Copper splashed on top
a bit of red left over from the previous use with a zigzag of Stormhost Silver still visible.
Grey Knights Steel in the top right, showing off that blue tinge.
Iron Hands Steel in the bottom right, with a splash of Stormhost Silver shared between it and the Leadbelcher, bottom middle.
Retri Armor, bottom left, with a swath of Auric Armor Gold in the middle of it.

I'm getting very good results out of using Retri Armor for my metallic yellow (it's such a rich, warm gold) and Iron Hands Steel for my silver/metal base, though you can see it looks fairly similar to Leadbelcher under this bright light.

Here's the same thing under somewhat dimmer light. The Auric Armor stands out a lot more, and you can see the difference between the Leadbelcher and the Iron Hands steel much more clearly.

Cool, thanks for the info. Since GW has brought out their new colors (the non-Contrast), there's not been a lot of info on what they're typically used for, or how they look when applied. I wasn't sure on the differences with the metallic layer paints, so the new metallics added to the confusion.

-

Today, I managed to work up the ambition to continue working on the Skitarii (the only models I have right now that are primed). A couple of weeks ago I painted the exterior of the robes, and I was going to post pics of that, but I decided to apply some of the metallics to them to see if that make them look a little more presentable.

The robes were a basecoat of Waagh Flesh, with a wash of Army Painter Green Tolne, and then a layer/highlight of Warpstone Glow. I don't know why, but it looks better in the photos than when I look at it normally. I still don't have the hang of layering & edge highlighting. That paint combo may have also not been the best selection.

The silver is VGC Gunmetal, which I'm planning to wash with Army Painter Strong Tone (the brown wash, to be more exact).

I thought to put them on custom bases, so I didn't glue them down on the included bases. As a result, I've just held the gun barrel, antenna, or some other part of the mini while I paint the other parts, and you can see that I've smeared some of the metallic dust (mica, I guess?) onto a couple of places.

Absent are two Skitarii that haven't been painted with the metal, the Tech Priest, and the Dunecrawler.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
The fantastic four won't know what hit 'em

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Max Wilco posted:

I thought to put them on custom bases, so I didn't glue them down on the included bases. As a result, I've just held the gun barrel, antenna, or some other part of the mini while I paint the other parts, and you can see that I've smeared some of the metallic dust (mica, I guess?) onto a couple of places.

If I'm doing a squad sized group of miniatures that I am gong to put on fancy bases I want to paint separately, I normally glue them to a plain base for painting. I just use less glue than I'm going to use for their permanent base. Makes it easier to paint without holding the miniature itself and accidentally smearing paint/getting a thumbprint in the basecoat/dropping it/breaking a fragile bit. When you are done its easy enough to carefully slide a thin sharp knife blade between the feet and base to separate them from the temporary base for proper basing. Smart way to do it is to put the base at 90 degrees to your cutting mat so you are cutting down the way. Doesnt have to be a base of course, I glued the Desolation Engine I posted before to an ice lolly stick which was glued to a regular sized base so I could use my regular sized painting handle. This has the added bonus of making it look like hes surfing while you paint.

Theres other things you can do (drill and pin the feet, then stick the pins in a cork or something for example) but "just lightly glue them all to plain bases" is way quicker and easier. I'd do something like that for important figures (command models, characters, whatever), but apart from anything else I only have like 2 corks. A lot of wine seems to be screw top these days.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The fantastic four won't know what hit 'em

Ahahaha, it never occurred to me that they all looked like Dr. Doom. I guess I could say they're from Forge World Latveria.

The inspiration for the color scheme actually came from watching a lot of Lazy Game Reviews, where the logos & title sequence mimic the display of (what I think) is an IBM 5150 monochrome monitor. Thus, I wanted to do a scheme that was a dark green highlighted with a bright green. There's also a running joke about woodgrain (since he built a 486 with a woodgrain case), so I thought of putting them on a 'woodgrain' base by gluing down some popsicle sticks or something and then painting/washing it in a dark brown.

On top of that, when I bought the Start Collecting Skitarii box, someone remarked that they were red (the ones displayed on the box) and wondered why I kept doing minis in red (I had been working on Blood Angels at the time, and a majority of the other scheme I've wanted to do are red), so I thought to try something different.

SiKboy posted:

If I'm doing a squad sized group of miniatures that I am gong to put on fancy bases I want to paint separately, I normally glue them to a plain base for painting. I just use less glue than I'm going to use for their permanent base. Makes it easier to paint without holding the miniature itself and accidentally smearing paint/getting a thumbprint in the basecoat/dropping it/breaking a fragile bit. When you are done its easy enough to carefully slide a thin sharp knife blade between the feet and base to separate them from the temporary base for proper basing. Smart way to do it is to put the base at 90 degrees to your cutting mat so you are cutting down the way. Doesnt have to be a base of course, I glued the Desolation Engine I posted before to an ice lolly stick which was glued to a regular sized base so I could use my regular sized painting handle. This has the added bonus of making it look like hes surfing while you paint.

Theres other things you can do (drill and pin the feet, then stick the pins in a cork or something for example) but "just lightly glue them all to plain bases" is way quicker and easier. I'd do something like that for important figures (command models, characters, whatever), but apart from anything else I only have like 2 corks. A lot of wine seems to be screw top these days.

My thought was to put poster tack on a cork or some other type of handle-hold. Some of the Skitarii have a 'running' pose, so drilling into the feet seems kind of iffy.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 23, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Max Wilco posted:

My thought was to put poster tack on a cork or some other type of handle-hold. Some of the Skitarii have a 'running' pose, so drilling into the feet seems kind of iffy.

I've tried that, but when I tried it just didnt give a firm enough grip. Fine for spray painting (but then you have to be careful that no tack is covering any bits you want undercoated, like the sides of the feet), but as soon as you poke a brush at it the figure slowly tips over and you end up getting paint somewhere you didnt want that paint to go. If you dont want to drill the feet (and I cant blame you, I personally find drilling and pinning tedious at best) then I really do recommend just lightly gluing them to a temporary base of some kind (whether spare bases you have around or a craft stick or whatever). Then that base can get put on whatever handle you like. Tack works better on a base than on a miniatures feet because it has more surface area to grip, I've sometimes tacked a miniatures base to a paint pot to use as a handle, and I've seen people do similar with pill bottles or lengths of wooden dowel. Do make sure that its a paint you dont need for the miniature you've stuck to the top of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Very happy with how this turned out. My favorite Tau unit by far that i've painted, but there are a lot of Tau that are in a close 2nd. This faction is one of the reasons why I wanted to paint and play Warhammer 40K. Games Workshop is weird about this model though. The legs are 13 pieces total and are a very weird assembly. The rest of the model though was not that bad. I just need to figure out the paints used for the stone now. GWS doesn't tell you this.