Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

IAbsolveMyself posted:

The problem is that CIG doesn't doing.

FTFY dear Goon friend
:gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I wonder if this missile rework will actually fix missiles or if it will just be new functionality for one ship in the game. If it comes out and the Constellation, the most iconic Star Citizen ship and Chris Roberts' personal baby, still can't shoot its missiles after years of being broken, then I can't wait to fan the flames of that angry backlash.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

quote:

People who are not part of the community, they may look at the game and not understand what we’re doing.

At this point, the outsiders are your Google, your Facebook. We know more what you're doing than the community and you do yourself.

quote:

I worry about making a great game with the continued support of the community we have.

How could you not, they're paying for the 4th story addition to your house at this point.
Wait, is there a game you guys are working on?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

NOW" but holy poo poo if "adding functionality for AI to evaluate their proficiency with different weapons" isn't the most insane thing I've ever read.

It's a loving gun. Make your AI shoot the gun.

It seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to include in a game, and arguably something a competent dev would work on early.

Granted, I'm not talking about some stupid FIDELITOUS AI, but I imagine a decent FPS AI would have the ability to switch between different weapons based on what the player is doing (Player is close, switch to shotgun. Player is far away, use a rifle)

Lots of games already do this but of course CIG has to make it sound like they're making their AI do something profound and simulationist.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Task #7324:
Step 1: Evalutate wind speed and direction, age of weapon, bullet's manufacturing date and humidity levels
Step 2: Evaluate target distance.
Step 3: Am I ovulating?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So they're working on making sure the AI is using the right weapon for the situation

The AI which currently stands and spins in place alternating between static t-posing and aiming 180 degrees from the target they are shooting at

That AI?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
The goalposts are moving once again as backers realise nothing of value is coming out this year. Of course this means they are saving all the good stuff for CitizenCon!

:reddit:
I think it's safe to say that 2020 is a filler year for SC, and we can basically just write it off. Nothing on the roadmap looks currently to be making a game, just more fluff.
-------
Sadly, I think you are right. Citizencon will be interesting in that case- they will hold something back for it, but what?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Elderbean posted:

It seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to include in a game, and arguably something a competent dev would work on early.

Granted, I'm not talking about some stupid FIDELITOUS AI, but I imagine a decent FPS AI would have the ability to switch between different weapons based on what the player is doing (Player is close, switch to shotgun. Player is far away, use a rifle)

Lots of games already do this but of course CIG has to make it sound like they're making their AI do something profound and simulationist.

Oh yeah for sure but like... "proficiency" is the word I'm keying in on here. In a sane world this would mean different accuracy values for each AI for each weapon or whatever, but the use of "proficiency" makes me think they are doing something infinitely more stupid.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mr.PayDay posted:

About monetizing:

:psyduck:

I mean that’s all this mess is shaping up to be. Fly your $1000 functionless autism chariot around a model viewer with your friends and imagine that you’re a real spaceman.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 22, 2020

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Are we currently in the "stagnation" phase? It sure feels like it.

Definitely. I think even Chris realizes that now. The important part is pretending otherwise for the backers still powering this turkey, which makes Chris’s continued scarcity even more conspicuous.

Let the forced commercial release of half-baked crap quickly follow, so the innocent can be scapegoated and Chris be finally and fully absolved of all responsibility.

Inacio posted:

theyre still making shittons of money though arent they

If their numbers can be trusted, and they aren’t buying their own crap with lent or invested money, or running some other weird money con. (Chris did all kinds of funny money crap with prior games so that’s hardly a safe bet.)

Also remember, but for Calder’s investment, he’d have bled out already. The crash would’ve already happened. That it ever was a risk says everything about what kind of manager he is and what kind of enterprise he’s running.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I know we're all laughing about them going "Oh gently caress we have to do prison gameplay like RIGHT NOW" but holy poo poo if "adding functionality for AI to evaluate their proficiency with different weapons" isn't the most insane thing I've ever read.

Everytime I see footage of CIGs AI and gun fighting it's just atrocious. I did a random search on YouTube and watch this poo poo, it's just so bad and the fact that they're pretending to make these advanced AI changes is just a joke when even the very basics don't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6vrKe8FPzA&t=642s

-Player walks into ships bridge
-Player shoots one round near an AI, after a few seconds they all simultaneously respond in sync and turn around but stay stationary. They do not see the player who is clearly visible.
-Player expecting retaliation backs up out of the room but the AI continues to stand in place staring in the players direction.
-Player attempts to re-enter the bridge but the door does not open.
-Player walks back towards the elevator but the elevator is gone and it's just an empty shaft.
-Player attempts to re-enter the bridge this time the door opens, AI still motionless staring at him.
-Players walks up the stairs and shoots and AI point blank killing it. The AI plays an extended slow motion death animation and the other AI still do not respond.
-Player continues up the stairs, AI are clearly in sight but perhaps due to the glass railings he is not visible. Maybe AI can't see thru glass?
-Player continues to pick off AI one by one, they all stand perfectly still next to each other with no reaction to the player shooting them or their comrades.

This goes on, but you get the point. This is a 3.8 build mission as well, not some old poo poo. I picked this video randomly on YouTube. This game is garbage.

Popete fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 22, 2020

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

It's amazing how long these things can last. Theranos started in the early 2000s and didn't tank until recently.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

quote:

I think it's safe to say that 2020 is a filler year for SC, and we can basically just write it off. Nothing on the roadmap looks currently to be making a game, just more fluff.
-------
Sadly, I think you are right. Citizencon will be interesting in that case- they will hold something back for it, but what?

Some digital asset that's gonna cost you a shitload of money, and you're totally gonna buy it.

Because why not.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Elderbean posted:

I suspect the backers would feel better if the next AI item on the roadmap read, in its entirety:

Get the NPCs off of the goddam chairs.

It would seem as though they were actually aware of what their own "game" is doing right now.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Citizencon 2016 really feels like it was the upward curve of Crobbo and Strangli's delusory expectations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

I'm sorry we totally talked at cross purposes. I, too, design AWS services. I just meant that as far as a single server goes there's no reason they can't just spin up EC2s and like, run them like normal game servers (i.e. Evolve).

There's obviously not any magic in AWS that you can't replicate locally. Obviously AWS doesn't magically solve CIGs problem. I was just pointing out that there's no reason Evolve couldn't just be running on a VM Amazon is hosting.

Word. I had a very right brain afternoon looking at rebuilding 10 year old PHP, and might have come over a bit Moss.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Popete posted:

Everytime I see footage of CIGs AI and gun fighting it's just atrocious. I did a random search on YouTube and watch this poo poo, it's just so bad and the fact that they're pretending to make these advanced AI changes is just a joke when even the very basics don't work.

That's your take on things. Here's what the comment in that video have to say:

quote:

Anyone not familiar with game dev, this is an incredible achievement in gaming history albeit the very beginning of major improvements.

-You just witnessed a player accept a dynamically generated mission.
-He then flew from a planets atmosphere into space to meet a space yacht with two bandit fighters engaging, one in which he shot off an engine off of.
-He then disembarked out of his ship and witnessed infantry enemy NPC pirates engaging security NPCs while inside another vehicle in space that technically can be flying.
-He then shot these enemies from space while flying in an EVA suit.
-He then proceeds to board in 1 of many ways while also being able to see inside the ship from the outside.
-Hes now walking in the interior of an intractable (albeit limited) ship performing infantry combat with NPCs.

All without a freaking loading screen, in an online persistent universe where you can go anywhere, with AAA high-end graphics in an Alpha state game.

As a gamer who has been playing games for 34 years since I was 3-4 years old and who has dabbled for 10 years in game dev/modding, this is loving impressive tech. I've been a backer since 2013. Great video man.

Also that comment has about 530 likes.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
That AI is at the level of an asset flip on steam. It is actually embarrassing to watch.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hav posted:

Word. I had a very right brain afternoon looking at rebuilding 10 year old PHP, and might have come over a bit Moss.

I am sorry sir. Friends don't let friends PHP.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

I know we're all laughing about them going "Oh gently caress we have to do prison gameplay like RIGHT NOW" but holy poo poo if "adding functionality for AI to evaluate their proficiency with different weapons" isn't the most insane thing I've ever read.

Since this is SC we're talking about the most human-like algorithm would be to use the most expensive weapon. That one is better.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sillybones posted:

That AI is at the level of an asset flip on steam. It is actually embarrassing to watch.

Actually the AI is very good. The matter is the servers who can't handle them. Thats why socs is gamechanging. But just V1 so still not working perfectly.

- An actual comment on that video

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

If you like the strange nepotism and incompetence of Star Citizen I can't reccomend reading the John Carreyrou book on Theranos enough. Its wild.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
I have been a long term Official Star Citizen discord member that has lurked for years. I just sent my first message that I send greetings from the Refund Sub and that I hope that everyone that has kept this dream afloat has gotten their moneys worth and was banned within seconds.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Sillybones posted:

Even those move around the map, this would be considered terrible AI by 1992 standards
edit
he posted a PTU of that level, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grave80hyjY

shooting through glass without any affect like sound or bullet decals.

stingtwo fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 22, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAgent posted:

what the gently caress are they doing

throwing and loving pushing and pulling in a loving space game without a nailed down flight model

jesus christ lol

High speed combat? I thought they wanted to slow it down?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Happy Space Court Day!

Crytek and CIG appear to have settled!

NOTICE of Settlement filed by Plaintiff Crytek GmbH.(Brazen, Clifford)
https://docdro.id/yZRTiKt

a bit late but

Star Citizen: CryCheque

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Alright I have been to the PTU and ridden the mighty moon worm. I hitched a ride on the $500 space mistake of one of the evocati nerds and here is my book report on the new spaceship.

• It sucks. You already knew that, but let me tell you why. It doesn't just lack functionality, it is really poorly designed.

• First, the bugs: airlocks will kill you, the ship jitters constantly on the landing pads, it crashed me to desktop when the pilot went into quantum travel, etc etc. It is a Star Citizen ship. Expect death and misery and lost time around every corner. But that poo poo's all pedestrian and to be expected from anything released by CIG.

• Second, the UI: I guess they're getting away from the "hold F and highlight thing to interact" paradigm with this ship? But they don't say that. So, sometimes a door will require that you hold F and highlight. Sometimes it will have a little mouse-over keypad with an interactive menu a-la the old Doom 3 screens. I do like the concept but it's applied so unevenly. You hold F to get into the ship, then use a screen menu to summon an elevator, then hold F to get in a chair, then use screen menus to pilot but hold F to power the ship up/exit/whatever. It's very clear they've just jammed poo poo in without bothering to go back and rework all the assets using the old system. Intense technical debt. I'd say insurmountable.

• Third, the layout: A lot of Star Citizen ships are mazes but this is the first one that is a vertical maze. It has like, 3 decks. But you can't run from one end of any deck to the other. Want to get from the bridge to engineering? Big door, corridor, elevator down, take a side passage, elevator up, another passage, now you're in engineering. The ship is loving stuffed full of elevators and ladders- slow, stupid, awful ladders. I would say fully 60% of the ship interior is ladders, elevators, and access corridors. Good luck getting anywhere (like the turrets) in a hurry if you are the sole pilot. Also for some reason the ceilings are really, really low. Like, "do not use third person view because your camera will collide with the ceiling and jam into the back of your character's head" low. Developers here's a hot loving tip: if your rooms are too small for external camera use, they are too small period.

• Fourth, the rooms: They're non functional of course. But most of them will never have a function. There's like 4 bathrooms on this loving thing. Half the "Habitation" deck is offices and beds and showers and pool tables. It's just useless fixed art assets occupying space. There are a few rooms that could conceivably have a purpose one day, like engineering and the drone operator's rooms, but no real effort has been put into making them workable game spaces. They're cramped and dark and will basically have to be redesigned in the event that a mechanic is ever added for them, which it won't be. Stuff like the "Components" closets that CIG seems to be putting in all the new ships is here too. You can open the closet up and look at what I assume is some piece of hardware that you can swap out on your ship- but you still can't do anything with it. What's the point of these? At least the flashy ridiculous medbay lets you set a respawn point (and nothing else).

• Now the good points: I think they finally got the pilot view right with this ship- it's basically unobstructed. No, you cannot close that big shutter thing that they advertised the cockpit having. Also, I kind of like the hangar on the top deck. It is pretty goofy for all these ships to have single-seat fighter hangars, but in this case I like the compact design and the feeling of the space. Props to the sound designers as well, the engine thrum from people flying the ship as I walked around it was quite pleasant and cool to hear, until the whole thing exploded.

Final thoughts: From walking around it, it feels like the ship that definitely would fulfill the multi-role purpose in any game with actual mechanics. In Star Citizen it's a showpiece, more expensive than a Constellation, less expensive than an 890J, and it basically delivers exactly what that would lead you to expect- more corridors and rooms than the Constellation, less corridors and rooms than the 890J. Since not one of those three ships has any function other than "Cargo hauler and target," I feel like the Carrack is a valuable middle-range addition to the increasingly gigantic lineup of nonfunctional spaceships.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 22, 2020

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Citizencon 2016 really feels like it was the upward curve of Crobbo and Strangli's delusory expectations.

It was also the first year of plain lying and CIG stopping being careful how to word stuff.
We got the The 3.0 lies, the SQ42 CH1 was played through lies, the no more feature creep lies while adding new stuff that never were stretchgoals to begin with, the open and transparent communication lies and the obvious buying coverage of PC Games and Gamestar PR with fake bullshit nonstop.
Oh, and the Sandworm and other fake avis and demos.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Alright I have been to the PTU and ridden the mighty moon worm. I hitched a ride on the $500 space mistake of one of the evocati nerds and here is my book report on the new spaceship.

• It sucks. You already knew that, but let me tell you why. It doesn't just lack functionality, it is really poorly designed.

• First, the bugs: airlocks will kill you, the ship jitters constantly on the landing pads, it crashed me to desktop when the pilot went into quantum travel, etc etc. It is a Star Citizen ship. Expect death and misery and lost time around every corner. But that poo poo's all pedestrian and to be expected from anything released by CIG.

• Second, the UI: I guess they're getting away from the "hold F and highlight thing to interact" paradigm with this ship? But they don't say that. So, sometimes a door will require that you hold F and highlight. Sometimes it will have a little mouse-over keypad with an interactive menu a-la the old Doom 3 screens. I do like the concept but it's applied so unevenly. You hold F to get into the ship, then use a screen menu to summon an elevator, then hold F to get in a chair, then use screen menus to pilot but hold F to power the ship up/exit/whatever. It's very clear they've just jammed poo poo in without bothering to go back and rework all the assets using the old system. Intense technical debt. I'd say insurmountable.

• Third, the layout: A lot of Star Citizen ships are mazes but this is the first one that is a vertical maze. It has like, 3 decks. But you can't run from one end of any deck to the other. Want to get from the bridge to engineering? Big door, corridor, elevator down, take a side passage, elevator up, another passage, now you're in engineering. The ship is loving stuffed full of elevators and ladders- slow, stupid, awful ladders. I would say fully 60% of the ship interior is ladders, elevators, and access corridors. Good luck getting anywhere (like the turrets) in a hurry if you are the sole pilot. Also for some reason the ceilings are really, really low. Like, "do not use third person view because your camera will collide with the ceiling and jam into the back of your character's head" low. Developers here's a hot loving tip: if your rooms are too small for external camera use, they are too small period.

• Fourth, the rooms: They're non functional of course. But most of them will never have a function. There's like 4 bathrooms on this loving thing. Half the "Habitation" deck is offices and beds and showers and pool tables. It's just useless fixed art assets occupying space. There are a few rooms that could conceivably have a purpose one day, like engineering and the drone operator's rooms, but no real effort has been put into making them workable game spaces. They're cramped and dark and will basically have to be redesigned in the event that a mechanic is ever added for them, which it won't be. Stuff like the "Components" closets that CIG seems to be putting in all the new ships is here too. You can open the closet up and look at what I assume is some piece of hardware that you can swap out on your ship- but you still can't do anything with it. What's the point of these? At least the flashy ridiculous medbay lets you set a respawn point (and nothing else).

• Now the good points: I think they finally got the pilot view right with this ship- it's basically unobstructed. No, you cannot close that big shutter thing that they advertised the cockpit having. Also, I kind of like the hangar on the top deck. It is pretty goofy for all these ships to have single-seat fighter hangars, but in this case I like the compact design and the feeling of the space. Props to the sound designers as well, the engine thrum from people flying the ship as I walked around it was quite pleasant and cool to hear, until the whole thing exploded.

Final thoughts: From walking around it, it feels like the ship that definitely would fulfill the multi-role purpose in any game with actual mechanics. In Star Citizen it's a showpiece, more expensive than a Constellation, less expensive than an 890J, and it basically delivers exactly what that would lead you to expect- more corridors and rooms than the Constellation, less corridors and rooms than the 890J. Since not one of those three ships has any function other than "Cargo hauler and target," I feel like the Carrack is a valuable middle-range addition to the increasingly gigantic lineup of nonfunctional spaceships.

Just more and more technical debt that they will never catch up with.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Can someone explain to me why the patch notes read like an arcane tome? Columns and cards and spheres and orbs.... What the gently caress is going on with those

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Can someone explain to me why the patch notes read like an arcane tome? Columns and cards and spheres and orbs.... What the gently caress is going on with those

They understand game development, you don't

Also someone release Silksong please

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I know this might sound sad but star citizen’s roadmap updates are one of the week’s highlights for me. I just love reading people’s reactions to the on-going saga of disappointment.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Star posted:

I know this might sound sad but star citizen’s roadmap updates are one of the week’s highlights for me. I just love reading people’s reactions to the on-going saga of disappointment.

I do too, but it's kind of disheartening how quickly it fizzles out and the first page of Reddit is immediately refilled with endless screenshots and "GIB CARRACK" posts.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mr.PayDay posted:

It was also the first year of plain lying and CIG stopping being careful how to word stuff.
We got the The 3.0 lies, the SQ42 CH1 was played through lies, the no more feature creep lies while adding new stuff that never were stretchgoals to begin with, the open and transparent communication lies and the obvious buying coverage of PC Games and Gamestar PR with fake bullshit nonstop.
Oh, and the Sandworm and other fake avis and demos.

Well we got a good preview of plain lying in 2015 with Star Marine. That first Squadron demo (the Morrow Tour) was 2015, too. Even the Kickstarter video was (in hindsight) a load of crap.

But 2016 was unhinged — the 3.0 stuff especially. It also gave us “The Road to CitizenCon”, a doubly-dishonest dump of pseudo-reality bullcrap, all because Chris and Erin were so desperate keep Squadron 42 from getting steamrolled by Infinite Warfare. Few videos in CIG history have aged so well by aging so poorly.

What a glorious year it was.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

tuo posted:

Also someone release Silksong please

The Hornet Card has moved to 5.6 due to unexpected fidelity issues.

Nails can currently not damage enemies.

The Jumping Column has been moved to a later patch

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 22, 2020

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

G0RF posted:

all because Chris and Erin were so desperate keep Squadron 42 from getting steamrolled by Infinite Warfare.

Oh about that. And btw, these guys are obviously serious

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Stumbled across this - it looks like an actual decent flight model that isn't noclip poo poo: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/csziq3/hovermode_may_be_widely_criticized_but_even_in/

...but I heard CIG has now removed this 'hover mode'? Is that true because if so then just loving lol

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Grillo posted:

Stumbled across this - it looks like an actual decent flight model that isn't noclip poo poo: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/csziq3/hovermode_may_be_widely_criticized_but_even_in/

...but I heard CIG has now removed this 'hover mode'? Is that true because if so then just loving lol

It was decent, but unusable. Basically you had to have the ship completely leveled, except there was almost no indication of whether your ship was leveled (like Elite has), leading people to eyeballing it from outside and bumping everything.

And of course sometimes the servers just decided you weren't leveled and crashed you anyway.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DapperDon posted:

I have been a long term Official Star Citizen discord member that has lurked for years. I just sent my first message that I send greetings from the Refund Sub and that I hope that everyone that has kept this dream afloat has gotten their moneys worth and was banned within seconds.

more power to you hatoful goon friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I saw a Microsoft Flight Simulator update video today, in the comments someone compared the features favourably to Star Citizen (the phrase was "star citizen should just go hide"), and this upsets citizens naturally for they are everywhere ready to remind us all that this is a world where we can jizz fountains of joy over ourselves about more than one game and star citizen is definitely still good.