Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
so some fortnite folks want skill based matchmaking removed? what's the argument for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

If it's like any other game with ELO matchmaking, if you're in the top 0.00001% of players then it makes it pretty much impossible to get matched up

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it boggles my mind that matchmaking is only just now being implemented

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm playing Kingmaker rn and a quest entry has this weird, Russian idiom I don't quite get. "You know what they say, a quick mare is in time everywhere." Is it as simple as "a fast horse can get anywhere on time?"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

so some fortnite folks want skill based matchmaking removed? what's the argument for that?
being in a battle royale with 100 pro fortnite players seems like a special kind of hell, so I can sympathize. before they added matchmaking you'd get a mix of folks and it didn't really start popping off until the endgame because the handful of pros were unlikely to meet each other early. but if you have to be on your poo poo for the whole game I don't think battle royales are really cut out for that kind of intensity

some people just want to be able to stomp though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If I were to design a matchmaking system for a battle royale, I mean I wouldn't want 100 players at the same ELO, like it would make more sense to have a bell curve distribution of skills I'd think

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I'm playing Kingmaker rn and a quest entry has this weird, Russian idiom I don't quite get. "You know what they say, a quick mare is in time everywhere." Is it as simple as "a fast horse can get anywhere on time?"

Sounds like that but it also sounds like it is kinda like what "a stitch in time saves nine" where it is saying that having a fast horse is good in any situation and gets things done now, not later, and is always in need of use. That's just how I'm reading it though.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I get what y'all are saying: I had actually kind of assumed all BRs did draw a curve of skill levels, but bounded so you aren't having FPS Pro vs I just got on computer today. especially since they have to put together such large matches so often.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they really added it for the low end though, so they can stuff early matches with lots of bots and inflate people's egos to make them think they're really good (and spend money)

my nephew got his first win ever right after they added it and I did not have the heart to tell him, he was very happy

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

most BR matchmaking is just a random bag of whoever because trying to do MMR matching for 100 players in each match would be a nightmare and also not work very well

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Playing fortnite is best on switch because of you do solos it stays on entirely switch populated realms so it's nothing but children

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
A space alien designed Streets Of LA's PC controls. Christ.

I am playing Re: Liberty City Stories, a fanmade PC port of the PSP game remade in the Vice City engine. It's really well done.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Diablo 2 has the best druid in my opinion.

he was pretty cool. excited to see how Path of Exile 2 does the shapeshifting stuff.

sucks that all these new CRPGs like Divinity and Pillars don't seem to have druid options.

i just want to be a magic hippie damnit

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Sounds like that but it also sounds like it is kinda like what "a stitch in time saves nine" where it is saying that having a fast horse is good in any situation and gets things done now, not later, and is always in need of use. That's just how I'm reading it though.

Okay, that reading makes more sense in context. It was about one of my advisors suddenly disappearing without notice, but he was handling an issue that arose and reported in he also took it upon himself to take position as leader of a local militia that was forming to keep them from causing a worser mess than it was.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kerrzhe posted:

a new question: are there any good RPGs where you can play as a druid

only ones i can think of are WoW (which is bad now) and the various DnD games

EQ has the best druid but its EQ so ehhhh

we need more rpgs about just being a chill magic user. I would play the gently caress out of Gandalf Simulator 2020 where you just bumble around helping humans and hobbits with their life problems.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Kerrzhe posted:

he was pretty cool. excited to see how Path of Exile 2 does the shapeshifting stuff.

sucks that all these new CRPGs like Divinity and Pillars don't seem to have druid options.

Wasn't Silverfall all about nature vs technology

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If you want to really go obscure play Sacrifice and work under Persephone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW9yneKLe-I

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

why would Byleth catch an inkling, they can't swim

upset about this

May 8, 2006

be careful not to cut yourself Isabelle

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

why would Byleth catch an inkling, they can't swim

upset about this

Rescue operation

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

a new question: are there any good RPGs where you can play as a druid

https://store.steampowered.com/app/343000/The_Mystery_of_the_Druids/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I tried watching some Fortnite streamers and I saw all kinds of things but no actual shooting

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

no, I don't think I'm "cutting it too close", why do you ask

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's that

It looks cool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The image I have of this game based on the 1-bit art and the nouns on that page is just setting me up for the reality being less cool

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

What's that

It looks cool

It's WORLD OF HORROR

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its on Gamepass if youre like me and a full on degenerate for games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Convex posted:

If you don't already have the ring that lets you run in water then you should probably grab it or you're gonna have a bad time!

edit: also don't forget to kill the ninja guy down there to get the cool backflip ring, it's really good if you have an unencumbered build as you get loads of i-frames when rolling

I'm all done with Blighttown (well, for the near future anyway, I got the most important stuff but not everything), but I did grab the Rusted Ring first. While I'm not playing blind for the sake of not getting too frustrated, I didn't know the Rusted Ring in particular was what was waiting for me in the Asylum. I felt like a smarty for checking there before going down to the swamp.

Also the ninja guy wasn't there yet because I haven't been in Darkroot nor joined the covenant to make him appear. The flippy ring is mostly a moot point anyway because outside of going pure nekkid and being forced to look at my wrinkly zombie body the whole time I'll be hard pressed to consistently hit <25% weight and not already be using some other ring.

Relax Or DIE posted:

It is 99% assholes wanting to be able to sleepwalk through games and rack up big dick kill counts through farming noobs legitimate competition and skill, 1% genuine and tangible flaws with SBMM. Pros/streamers will always agitate against anything that potentially shakes up their ability to harvest money from the game. They are the biggest babies imaginable and regularly refuse to adapt to major changes and instead just throw tantrums until Epic changes them back to appease them.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 22, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

Pillars has a Druid class, sounds like you need to work on your research skills

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I only had to play for like 4 hours to have to go behind a waterfall, 7/10 jrpg
prince doesn't roll a katamari 4/10

wtf are these blocking and dodging mechanics they get in the way of buttons to bind healing items to

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Pillars has druids and they very much are magic hippies, especially Hiraivis

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What are some good "proper" Metroidvanias? Stuff like Hollow Knight or Axiom Verge where you actually have to explore and figure out how to find secrets. Most of the supposed metroidvanias on steam are too hand holdy and linear, they're just platformers that occasionally give you a movement ability of have a Chozo-statue easter egg.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Obvious first answer to come to mind is Bloodstained.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

check out metroid fusion op

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ori and the Will of the Wisps launches next month, so check out Ori and the Blind Forest.

Absolutely delightful game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFnardzPg-I

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ori is a good game and I certainly would not want to dissuade someone from checking it out if they were at all interested, but for whatever reason the game's structure and exploration loop did not scratch the Metroidvania itch I had at the time at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I couldn't get on with Ori at all. It looks lovely but everything about the movement and flow of the game put me off.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What are some good "proper" Metroidvanias? Stuff like Hollow Knight or Axiom Verge where you actually have to explore and figure out how to find secrets. Most of the supposed metroidvanias on steam are too hand holdy and linear, they're just platformers that occasionally give you a movement ability of have a Chozo-statue easter egg.

Shadow Complex is great fun, although it's also written by Orson Scott Card so features rabid left wing terrorists. The main story begins with your girlfriend getting captured and you can just sack it off and go home if you like, which is always a plus.

Environmental Station Alpha is also great fun and has a cool lo-fi aesthetic. IIRC it came out at around the as time as Axiom Verge and seemed to get a bit overshadowed by it but it's really fun and a solid recommend; also, it gets decent discounts quite regularly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
ESA is IMO actually kind of a bad game. It is way too stingy with health upgrades and what ones are there are hidden away like you'd do for only the most out-of-your-way convolutedly hidden upgrades in a Metroid, all which when combined with the bosses being gigantic pain in the rear end makes it just too much of a hassle to actually play all too often. And then if you want to get the real ending it requires some of the most convoluted, La-Mulana-rear end sleuthing to figure it all out.

Despite what I was alluding to above as a negative, I actually do really like the puzzles in La-Mulana so that might also serve as a good option. Just be prepared to either write a novel's worth of notes to get through it out (or more likely realize that there's no real shame in looking up most solutions).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
What's the thread opinion on Skies of Arcadia (GameCube version)? I'm looking for something bright and cheerful to fill the void after I finish Paper Mario and it sounds like a cool time