Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

Burning_Monk posted:

Thinking the same. I might toss on Elusive to get an extra round of attacks in with the fang and replace one with a StarViper w/ FCS.

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum%2...ed%20Slave&obs=

What exactly do you mean by getting in an extra round of attacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Dr Intergalactic posted:

What exactly do you mean by getting in an extra round of attacks?

Using Elusive to keep the fang alive for at least another round if possible. Same thing with subbing in a Viper who has an extra shield, to give the team a little more staying power since the Fangs are pretty fragile. The FCS will keep the number of potential attack dice about the same.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

Burning_Monk posted:

Using Elusive to keep the fang alive for at least another round if possible. Same thing with subbing in a Viper who has an extra shield, to give the team a little more staying power since the Fangs are pretty fragile. The FCS will keep the number of potential attack dice about the same.

Oh ok I understand. I do like the idea of subbing in a starviper, I just need so much practice. The micro thrusters or whatever are a lot to get used to.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Dr Intergalactic posted:

Oh ok I understand. I do like the idea of subbing in a starviper, I just need so much practice. The micro thrusters or whatever are a lot to get used to.

Played this last night and we both finally gave up after 3 hours of flying. The Elusive upgrade definitely gives the Fang more staying power. Lost my Viper near the end but only because he was focused down but not before killing an enemy ship first.

My first time with the micro thrusters and I'm a big fan! They give you so much range on the board to flip in and out of enemy arcs. My opponent just couldn't get a bead on me and if I had better rolls (on man my rolling was bad, like all blanks 80% of the time) the game would have ended much sooner. It's really fun flying three ships with boosts, you cover so much ground. My Boba was on the opposite corner than his fleet and by round two I was flanking them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The trick to Fearless Fangs is range control, and understanding that the best defense is a good offense.

At range 1 or 3, if you have a focus, you're usually gonna be fine. But you just die if you're focused on at range 2 without some mitigating factor. Elusive is one such mitigating factor. Hiding behind rocks is another, to get the extra die.

If you get good at charging into range 1, Concordia Faceoff is going to save you far more damage than that extra shield from a Starviper. You can also deliberately bump ships to force the enemy to spread fire. You lose your action, but Fearless and Concordia still give you ample dice modification against the people behind the ship you bumped.

And if you get the fearless + focus shot, you average like 3.8 hits. It doesn't take many of those to just wipe something off the board. Who cares if you take a damage or two on the fang if you destroyed something in exchange? Fangs are the X-Wing equivalent of a double-barreled shotgun. Fly them like you're playing Doom, and just charge straight at everything.

Tactical bumping and range control are the key to flying these guys. They fly in. They shoot. Stuff explodes. Good times.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Yep, the thing that took me a bit to realize is that with Fangs, you just cannot try and hang back. You will be a dead man. You have got to fly aggressive and tight. If you think you can't stay in close, don't be afraid to use their speed and get the hell out of dodge all together so you can regroup and charge hard again. You just have to charge hard when you do re-engage. You are better off to be too aggressive and fly past a joust versus getting caught down range. At range 2 you will die fast.

My local store does a Friday lunch-wing weekly thing so I took my Boba-Fenn list up there today and finally notched my first "real win", which was against one of the local big tournament players. It feels really, really good to get over the hump.

Whether it's Fenn or other skull-squad pilots, I've found that you just have to be hyper aggressive with fangs. If I can't stay close to the melee and be in range one, I try and just throttle way out of combat. Either way, I've found most opponents will start to focus on the crazy up-close fangs all the while the real threat (Boba) gets to usually make his way into the fight relatively unscathed. Once Fett gets close, your opponent is usually in deep, deep poo poo.

In the match today in particular, my opponent was using a big swarm of fireballs as well as a single Poe equipped xwing. He kept trying to charge at Fenn (to no avail), and finally Boba got close, caused a traffic jam, and then dropped a bomb which set off a chain reaction of low health, dead-man switch equipped fireballs that quickly fell like dominoes.

After starting with this game in January and routinely getting my rear end kicked, it was a chef kiss moment.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I'm getting back into the game after a very short dalliance with the first edition launch. I bought the new starter set, and I'm wondering where to go from here. I want to be able to demo this game to friends and show them something that feels like a regular game and not just a rules tutorial. I've got 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 5 TIE Fighters, and 1 TIE Advanced from the first edition, and now 1 X-Wing and 2 TIE Fighters from the second edition. Should I buy a conversion kit? Two conversion kits? Or rebuy some models? Really not sure.

Also, I'm having some trouble finding decent descriptions of how the Sequel/Prequel factions play. What are those like? I'm trying to figure out what faction I want to focus on for when I'm building my own force (har har). I like to plot convoluted shenanigans, especially those involving movement and misdirection (Malifaux Showgirls, Spirit Island's Finder of Paths Unseen, etc), and I like very clear payoffs (if I do the right thing) and very clear punishments (if I don't). I got the impression that First Order might be what I'm looking for, since one place described them as a faster, less numerous Empire, but I can't find descriptions that are consistent across multiple sites.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I asked this a month ago in this thread and someone posted a great response in regards to faction differences (copy and pasted their response) -

Rebels: Slow, beefy ships that have lots of abilities that synergize. Good at "jousting," or flying straight at the enemy, trading shots, and coming out on top.

Imperial: Two play styles, swarms of cheap-rear end TIE fighters and "aces," or high-initiative ships that excel at dodging enemy fire; glass cannons, mostly.

Resistance: The best faction-specific upgrade in the game is Heroic, and that card really defines this faction. Pilots in the Resistance are Big drat Heroes with stats and abilities to match. They fly like a weird mix of Rebel (slow, beefy jousters) and Imperial (fast, independent aces).

First Order: Hurting them only makes them stronger. This is currently not very well done, mechanically, but new releases seem to be strengthening it.

Separatists: This faction is defined by cheap, disposable droids supported by more powerful named pilots. The droids are weak individually and extremely powerful in aggregate. There's a lesser theme of underhanded tricks--somewhat Scum-like--that enable the odd list that has few or no droids at all.

Republic: Another faction with multiple archetypes, the Republic is good at having force-powered Jedi aces and also has lots of beefy, efficient no-name clone pilots. Lists can focus on one, the other, or a mix of both.

Scum: Many of their ships are similar to those of other factions, but slightly worse in some way. They make up for it with powerful abilities and dirty tricks.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

demota posted:

Also, I'm having some trouble finding decent descriptions of how the Sequel/Prequel factions play. What are those like? I'm trying to figure out what faction I want to focus on for when I'm building my own force (har har). I like to plot convoluted shenanigans, especially those involving movement and misdirection (Malifaux Showgirls, Spirit Island's Finder of Paths Unseen, etc), and I like very clear payoffs (if I do the right thing) and very clear punishments (if I don't). I got the impression that First Order might be what I'm looking for, since one place described them as a faster, less numerous Empire, but I can't find descriptions that are consistent across multiple sites.

A description I like is that Republic is about trying to fly like the Empire with Rebel-like ships and abilities. So where imps would have, say, an officer giving blanket buffs to a miniswarm, the Republic would have an ace with a miniswarm and a bunch of synergistic abilities where your ace buffs your mooks and your mooks buff your ace or whoever sticks in formation.

Separatists are mostly about swarms with Scum-tier penchant for tricks and gimmicks in place of straightforward goodness.

Resistance have extremely Rebel-like ships, if investing extra points into maneuverability and generally ace-like behavior whenever possible. Also lot of fudging shittiest possible rolls or blanks to ensure a Minimum Guaranteed Outcome from each roll, where other factions might be about aggressively stacking the chance for the Best Possible Outcome.

First Order is often derided as Empire But With Shields and, honestly, it's the least distinctive of the new factions. It's pretty much a bit more expensive, bit more sturdy and elite take on the Empire. Your "swarms" probably won't make it past five ships, while your aces won't quite die to a breeze like the imperial ones. Due to the source material, they can be a little samey with not that many ships released and a lot of them being "an ace fighter, but a little different". Their abilities got a theme of either getting stronger or retaliating when hit, as opposed to imperials being more about concentrating firepower on a target.

For the clear payoffs and punishments with a focus on maneuverability, your best bet is probably Imperial aces, as they're pretty much kill or be killed every single turn.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 22, 2020

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Interceptors all the way. Every single turn is their last, until it isn’t. 3 hull, no shields, no problems :black101:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lichtenstein posted:

A description I like is that Republic is about trying to fly like the Empire with Rebel-like ships and abilities. So where imps would have, say, an officer giving blanket buffs to a miniswarm, the Republic would have an ace with a miniswarm and a bunch of synergistic abilities where your ace buffs your mooks and your mooks buff your ace or whoever sticks in formation.

That makes me want to try my notion of Ahsoka buffing Torrents with Battle Meditation while Obi-Wan just... well, does his thing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Icon Of Sin posted:

Interceptors all the way. Every single turn is their last, until it isn’t. 3 hull, no shields, no problems :black101:

Still miss Soontir/Carnor/Turr balls to the wall.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
It sounds like Imperial Aces is the way to go, then! What's the best way to go about getting started? Buying the 1e Imperial Aces box, a conversion box, and the 2e TIE expansion?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

You can actually run Soontir with up to 4 wingmen now.

quote:

Squints

(53) Soontir Fel [TIE Interceptor]
(1) Marksmanship

(36) Saber Squadron Ace [TIE Interceptor]

Total points: 198

The 1e aces box has the interceptor with a blood stripe (I need another one of these) and a straight red one, the other kits don’t have that.

Keep in mind that a list like this will be more unforgiving than you think it will be. You’ll find yourself giving up shots so you can boost/roll out of someone’s arc (or at least to range 3), an interceptor has a reasonable chance of getting 1-shotted right off the board (just like any TIE).

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I don't mess with Empire/FO at all, but at some point I'll probably buy some Interceptors just to try a list like that. Interceptors are really cool.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bring back Carnor Jax FFG you cowards

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I ran this the other day. It’s a beautiful mess.

Colonel Jendon (48)
Tractor Beam (3)
Admiral Sloane (9)

Ship total: 60 Half Points: 30 Threshold: 5

Alpha Squadron Pilot (31)
Targeting Computer (3)

Ship total: 34 Half Points: 17 Threshold: 2

Targeting Computer (3)

Targeting Computer (3)

Targeting Computer (3)

Total: 196

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z167XW13W14WWWY182X249WY182X249WY182X249WY182X249W&sn=Sloane%20swarm&obs=

Funzo fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 23, 2020

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

(Never mind)

Cessna fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 23, 2020

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Are Sith Infiltrators still good or did they get nerfed into the ground?

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Are Sith Infiltrators still good or did they get nerfed into the ground?

I hope you like playing Maul with Hate:

Pick something your opponent would rather keep on the board;

Point Maul at it;

Delete it;

Maul dies and droids finish the job.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Went 2-2 today at a local tournament with 5 X-Wings. One loss was by two points and could have gone either way. The other loss was a blow out against Boba/IG. My opening was all wrong and I got way too aggressive on that one. I like the list though. No triggers means it’s still good to play after multiple rounds and fatigue sets in.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

What was the Boba/IG list like?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So on a whim I got X-Wing 2.0 working on TTS and hopped in a room. Turned out said room was Hexiled Gaming, who had literally just started to stream that day. The viewers and the host and my opponent were so chill and cool that it I felt wholesomenated. I made a bunch of mistakes (never played TTS) and some other gameplay errors that my opponent would be like, “go back and do this instead”. All players were prepping their lists for upcoming tournaments and after after a few hours I decided to go with this:

Omega a Triple ‘n Reggie

(57) Major Vonreg [TIE/ba Interceptor]
(2) Daredevil

(34) Omega Squadron Expert [TIE/sf Fighter]
(10) Special Forces Gunner
(2) Fanatical

(2) Fanatical

(2) Fanatical

Total points: 197

I’ve been going back and forth with either Fanatical on the Omega SFs, or down to Zetas with Optics.

Vonreg flies around as a combat multiplier tossing out strains and using daredevil to whip around onto target.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ringo Star Get posted:

So on a whim I got X-Wing 2.0 working on TTS and hopped in a room. Turned out said room was Hexiled Gaming, who had literally just started to stream that day. The viewers and the host and my opponent were so chill and cool that it I felt wholesomenated. I made a bunch of mistakes (never played TTS) and some other gameplay errors that my opponent would be like, “go back and do this instead”. All players were prepping their lists for upcoming tournaments and after after a few hours I decided to go with this:

Omega a Triple ‘n Reggie

(57) Major Vonreg [TIE/ba Interceptor]
(2) Daredevil

(2) Fanatical

(2) Fanatical

(2) Fanatical

Total points: 197

I’ve been going back and forth with either Fanatical on the Omega SFs, or down to Zetas with Optics.

Vonreg flies around as a combat multiplier tossing out strains and using daredevil to whip around onto target.

This has a lot of gun and is probably really good!

The SF is a great platform with a soild 3-4 choices at the price point you're showing there. You touched on a couple. Other options include:

* Do the I2 guys with Passive Sensors/Concussion Missiles
* Make one Backdraft without Gunner
* Make one LeHeuse with Gunner

You really do need to treat Vonreg's ability as "nice when it happens" because the restriction (bullseye arc) and timing (system phase) means you won't get it every round, and when you do, they'll often be doing a blue and will clear his token anyway. You take Vonreg for the slippery I6; his ability is gravy.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

This has a lot of gun and is probably really good!

The SF is a great platform with a soild 3-4 choices at the price point you're showing there. You touched on a couple. Other options include:

* Do the I2 guys with Passive Sensors/Concussion Missiles
* Make one Backdraft without Gunner
* Make one LeHeuse with Gunner

You really do need to treat Vonreg's ability as "nice when it happens" because the restriction (bullseye arc) and timing (system phase) means you won't get it every round, and when you do, they'll often be doing a blue and will clear his token anyway. You take Vonreg for the slippery I6; his ability is gravy.

Thanks for the suggestions! I’d have to pick up a Hot Shot pack for the passives. I heard that combo was good too. I’ve got about 6 days to practice, unfortunately I’ll be on a business trip for 3 days but I’m just looking forward to having fun in a tourney. It’s up to 40 players (Gamestorm) and I’ve got some old X-Wing buddies in it, so can’t wait.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
My friend has a bunch of Scum ships and keeps whipping my rear end, last time he beat me up with 2 YV-666s and a Z-95. I still did better than I did against Boba and the 2 Fangs.

Really thinking of picking up Scum next but I already have like 3 factions I want to flesh out

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

uncle blog posted:

What was the Boba/IG list like?

I don't have the list in front of me, but it was the fairly standard Fearless/maul build for Boba, and IG-88D with Contraband Cybernetics and Advanced Sensors, so he was really hard to pin down. I didn't have a good approach and just got picked off one by one.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

demota posted:

It sounds like Imperial Aces is the way to go, then! What's the best way to go about getting started? Buying the 1e Imperial Aces box, a conversion box, and the 2e TIE expansion?

I’d say definitely nab the Empire Conversion kit, and then use this link to see what ships/upgrades you want and in what boxes they are: https://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.fandom.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures:_Second_Edition_Wiki

For example, I’ll hear about an upgrade like Passive Sensors, and I’ll see if it’s any kits I own. If not, I can see if it’s in a kit or a ship pack.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I was just in miniature market (I live close to their storefront in STL) and picked up a bunch of 1.0 scum stuff. I really need to just buy a scum conversion at this point!

Over the weekend I sold all my Aethersprites, V-19 torrents and an n-1 that I purchased for a crazy deal off a local a couple months back and just "reinvested" by picking up an additional Arc-170 (I now have 2) and 2 more Republic Y-Wings (I now have 3). Get rid of that nimble poo poo and give me Republic beef!

I'm very much looking forward to putting together some heavy builds with bombs, large fields of fire and ion cannons for days by way of no-name pilots. It should make for a nice change of pace when I don't feel like fielding my fang fighters.

I am also very much looking forward to the LAAT release. I can't wait to see how much those ships are worth points wise because I'll probably buy enough to field a full list of them. I absolutely love the aesthetic of those things, being based on HIND helis. This loving game. I WANT EM ALL!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Once things settle down IRL I am thinking about giving this a go.

Nom Lumb (38)
Ion Cannon (6)
Dengar (6)
Feedback Array (3)

Ship total: 53 Half Points: 27 Threshold: 5

Contracted Scout (41)
Ion Cannon (6)
Contraband Cybernetics (2)

Ship total: 49 Half Points: 25 Threshold: 5

Contracted Scout (41)
Ion Cannon (6)

Contracted Scout (41)
Ion Cannon (6)

Total: 200

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Odd question but does someone have a card creator template?

My fiancé and I went to galaxy edge today and got photos with the rz2 and t70 and I wanna make us pilot cards

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Please dont do 4 jump masters...

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

Please dont do 4 jump masters...

Too late! I ran 4 a few weeks ago for a lark with auto blaster and APTs. Was worth it just to see the relived trauma.

The matches I lost were by less than 20 points. Most less than 10. I was running it for fun, but with results like that, I want to try a better version. The biggest weakness was the AB & APT range. I figure the ion cannons will fix that right up. Also now that Australia is finally getting wave 6 Nom is gonna be a formation wrecker.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
My experience with Nom Nom , both flying and flying against - is that they die really quickly and their pilot ability is kind of a non-thing. Haven't tried it in 4 Jumpmaster lists, though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My brief test with Nom in a quad jumpmaster list was that I really, really wished he was PS2 like the other four jumps. The flexibility of moving ships in whatever order helps keep your actions once the scrum begins. Having one ship forced to move first really hurts that flexibility.

He's pretty solid with Dengar gunner, tho.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
He's great with Dengar gunner yeah. People just ignore him then so you wind up getting to kind of do your own think with him.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So no one in my gaming group runs anything with swarms and I've got some cash on hand soooooo....what swarm should I go for buying in to? FOCHO or Separatist? I think I'd probably enjoy enjoy the style of flying TIES more than the asteroid hoppin' vultures, but thematically i really don't like the first order while the separatists are pretty cool. My only real fear for going droid swarm is that the landing strut thing will be way harder to learn versus the TIEs which are kind of more straightforward. Anyone have any thoughts?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

So no one in my gaming group runs anything with swarms and I've got some cash on hand soooooo....what swarm should I go for buying in to? FOCHO or Separatist? I think I'd probably enjoy enjoy the style of flying TIES more than the asteroid hoppin' vultures, but thematically i really don't like the first order while the separatists are pretty cool. My only real fear for going droid swarm is that the landing strut thing will be way harder to learn versus the TIEs which are kind of more straightforward. Anyone have any thoughts?

Struts aren't that hard to learn, really. I'm a pretty big fan of Separatist design space, in general. I'd probably fly more droid swarms if I didn't have to buy ten billion droids to do it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Droids are cool but i hate their dials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Are there any decent lists that are 2 silencers and 1 interceptor 2.0?

They're my favorite of the first order ships and I'd love to have a list with just them. I have a bizarre hatred of the classic TIE design.