Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Keltar posted:

Time to reveal Hal Jordan is behind all the time line zaniness in a big to make himself and the other "legends" the true heroes even at the cost of their successors. In other words, he got his Zero Hero and it's why we got people like Barry back even as Wally kicked around.

The old horses like Hal and Barry need to go where they belong.

Back in the ground.

Hal has been fine since he came back.

Barry should have stayed dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

They've each killed billions of people. And like, real people, not asparagus people like Jean Grey.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Hal created an entire universe as part of an elaborate ruse to capture a villain withe the death and rebirth it entails.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I meant the stories have better for Hal instead of Barry ya goobers.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Heck at this point I'm about ready to move on from Wally. Dude was the Flash of the 80s-2000s. We're in 2020. When you're all about passing the mantle on it's about time, even if Barry swiped 10 years back.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Get that 60 year old character out of there and give this 30 year old one a shot!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Kyle never got a chance. Stupid Hal Jordan.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

A perfect world would give all Green Lanterns a chance. All the Earth Lanterns are great. Haven’t seen much of Simon, but he’s from Dearborn, so he gets a pass.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
If the rumors about what is/was planned for 5G are/were accurate (for those not following, the core Justice League members were allegedly going to be aged up significantly, seemingly by having their adventures shifted further back along the sliding timescale, and succeeded by mostly-new legacy characters) it’s not really hard to see why WB higher-ups might have gotten cold feet, and I’m honestly surprised it got as far along as it did

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

harras is stil eic so i predict things are just going to get even more dire

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

A perfect world would give all Green Lanterns a chance. All the Earth Lanterns are great. Haven’t seen much of Simon, but he’s from Dearborn, so he gets a pass.

I really miss the Green Lanterns book with Simon and Jessica being buddy cops. Bring it back, drat you, DC! :argh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, this wasn't a happy exit.

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/1231111463781093378?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1230982294896140288

I thought DiDio was the reason Kate didn't get married?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My old boss is at the ComicsPro summit and everyone appears to have been fully blindsided by this. He also says most of the retailers in attendance are celebrating this.

Edit: ha, ethan is claiming DC will be shut down if 5G fails. A very desperate grasp for likes and continuing his grift.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 22, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I feel like Didio is going to be one of those people where critical and historical consensus on him in 10 or 15 years is going to be a lot different than what it is now or what it was a decade ago. For sure a complicated figure with a far reach.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He's a complicated man and no one understands him but his woman.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

He also says most of the retailers in attendance are celebrating this.

Comic store retailers happy guy who tried to expand beyond the comic stores is gone, more news at 11.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TwoPair posted:

I really miss the Green Lanterns book with Simon and Jessica being buddy cops. Bring it back, drat you, DC! :argh:

Hugely under rated run. I wish more book would actually bother with characters having lives and relationships with people outside of being super heroes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

Comic store retailers happy guy who tried to expand beyond the comic stores is gone, more news at 11.

I don't know if you remember what my posting was like when I was actually running the shop but comic retailers are a bunch of massive douchebags.

As opposed to the normal level of douchebag I am now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I don't know if you remember what my posting was like when I was actually running the shop but comic retailers are a bunch of massive douchebags.

Not so much your posting, but yeah comic shop owners (and most small retailers) are generally short sighted and self interested.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

Not so much your posting, but yeah comic shop owners (and most small retailers) are generally short sighted and self interested.

My old boss is being pretty smug about it. I wish I was still in the FB retail group, I'm sure they're being totally sane about this.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Didio was definitely kind of abrasive/blunt about things which colors everyone's opinion beyond the actual content of his business moves; you can say the same about Jim Shooter or the early Quesada/Jemas administration or Mike Carlin, Gary Groth, Todd McFarlane, Erik Larsen, Mark Waid, etc. etc. etc.

That doesn't mean that some of these people lapsed straight into being assholes, or that they made nothing but good decisions which were masked by them being jerks about it, but in general but especially in a fan/retailer culture built on Smilin' Stan and Uncle Julie people tend to react violently to someone in power telling them that certain things suck and need to change.

I also think it's incredibly unlikely that anyone who fills Didio's position is going to be friendlier to the direct market.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So Didio had obvious preferences and quirks, but does anyone know what Jim Lee is into?
Presumably he could be sole publisher now, but the only time I see him pop up is stuff like taking Tom King and a Batmobile over to the Middle East for a USO tour.

What are Jim Lee's Flintstones and Svengoolie?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 22, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

So Didio had obvious preferences and quirks, but does anyone know what Jim Lee is into?
Presumably he could be sole publisher now, but the only time I see him pop up is stuff like taking Tom King and a Batmobile over to the Middle East for a USO tour.

What are Jim Lee's Flintstones and Svengoolie?

He was a Wildstorm founder. Maybe he'll bring back Gen13

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Yeah, I was going to say, Jim Lee is super into pushing his old 90's Wildstorm properties. I'm pretty sure he's the only reason the New 52 inexplicably had so many Wildstorm titles.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Edge & Christian posted:

Didio was definitely kind of abrasive/blunt about things which colors everyone's opinion beyond the actual content of his business moves; you can say the same about Jim Shooter or the early Quesada/Jemas administration or Mike Carlin, Gary Groth, Todd McFarlane, Erik Larsen, Mark Waid, etc. etc. etc.

That doesn't mean that some of these people lapsed straight into being assholes, or that they made nothing but good decisions which were masked by them being jerks about it, but in general but especially in a fan/retailer culture built on Smilin' Stan and Uncle Julie people tend to react violently to someone in power telling them that certain things suck and need to change.

I also think it's incredibly unlikely that anyone who fills Didio's position is going to be friendlier to the direct market.

It's either going to be some like seventy year old who almost came to blows with Steve Englehart over Fantastic Four continuity in the middle eighties or somebody from the YA publishing side of the company, with like no middle ground.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Karma Tornado posted:

It's either going to be some like seventy year old who almost came to blows with Steve Englehart over Fantastic Four continuity in the middle eighties or somebody from the YA publishing side of the company, with like no middle ground.
The only people I can see from the "old guard" getting the gig would be Bob Harras (unlikely given that he's been EiC for the past ten years and more or less flown completely under the radar, I can't imagine they want to make him a figurehead, but he's also been around for the past ten years) or maybe Jeph Loeb in some sort of 'he's a hitmaking transmedia creator and we 'got' him from Marvel' move, but that also feels unlikely.

If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly Didio is out because he wasn't playing Why Not As Many Movie Franchises As Marvel? ball to the satisfaction of the rest of DC Entertainment, and it's time for the once-a-decade "why are we even publishing these comics?" questions from Warner/AOL/Time Warner executives. Bringing in Paul Levitz or Tom Defalco or someone like that to address it doesn't seem very likely at all. Geoff Johns, on the other hand, maybe?

But honestly probably someone from outside of comics.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Edge & Christian posted:

The only people I can see from the "old guard" getting the gig would be Bob Harras (unlikely given that he's been EiC for the past ten years and more or less flown completely under the radar, I can't imagine they want to make him a figurehead, but he's also been around for the past ten years) or maybe Jeph Loeb in some sort of 'he's a hitmaking transmedia creator and we 'got' him from Marvel' move, but that also feels unlikely.

If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly Didio is out because he wasn't playing Why Not As Many Movie Franchises As Marvel? ball to the satisfaction of the rest of DC Entertainment, and it's time for the once-a-decade "why are we even publishing these comics?" questions from Warner/AOL/Time Warner executives. Bringing in Paul Levitz or Tom Defalco or someone like that to address it doesn't seem very likely at all. Geoff Johns, on the other hand, maybe?

But honestly probably someone from outside of comics.

My guess is that they look towards young adult and pull somebody from an outside publishing house, yeah. I actually genuinely forgot Warner sold off their book arm to Hachette like a decade ago, though.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The thing that really pissed me off about Didio is how he tried to skew the narrative to serve his agenda. Like when he had Ted Kord killed Countdown to Infinite Crisis he went to all the interviews and Conventions afterwards and justified it by saying it was the first book to ever make blue beetle relevant constantly saying “who the hell cared about Blue Beetle last year?” Which was a really odd thing to say because the year before he stared in the fairly high selling “Formerly Known as the Justice League” mini that was so popular it garnered a longer sequel a year later. He also tried to make it sound like JLI was always just a big joke which wasn’t the case at all. Yes there was a lot of humor in the series but it also covered more series and traditional storylines as well and was one of the longest running justice league runs of all time and led to several spinoffs that continued well into the 90s.

I also didn’t care for his attitudes towards Nightwing, Cassandra Cain, and Wally West. His obsession with Omac that nobody gives a poo poo about, his constant desire to go back to the crisis well and mine old storylines, and the overall darker edgelord narrative he wanted in every book. Bringing back Barry Allen was loving stupid too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ted Kord's death was extremely well done.

The rest of the JLI not so much.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm the biggest Ted Kord fanboy there is, and even I think he went out like a drat boss in Countdown to Infinite Crisis. Unlike so many comic book deaths, his death mattered. It had weight, it affected other characters and the larger narrative, and it reminded (or taught) readers AND other characters why he was cool.

But I always hated that Justice League: Generation Lost was so good, and set up a new, ongoing JLI series that could have been great, only to be completely derailed and undone by the New 52. And I never saw a point to DC jettisoning so many decades of continuity for a '90s-style relaunch, except for the few books that didn't have to adhere to the relaunch rules. (I always wondered how much of the New 52 was DiDio, how much was Harras, and how much was Lee.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Guess he'll never get his chance to perfect his [Upcoming Event] is like 52 Done Right!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

FilthyImp posted:

Guess he'll never get his chance to perfect his [Upcoming Event] is like 52 Done Right!

I laughed out loud the first time a customer reminded me he said that about Countdown.

52 is one of the best books DC has ever produced, easy. The Dan Didio New and Improved version was so forgettable I had to really think what it was counting down too.

New 52 was incredibly undermined by Green Lantern #1 being a direct extension of the previous 70 issues and being incomprehensible to new readers. Credit where credit is due, New 52 did create a ton of new readers for a while, but then again they actually advertised it to people other than comic book readers. Who knew.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

New 52 could have been interesting if they had gone the secret war route, but actually pulled the trigger on a tot as l reboot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Jeph Loeb feels so unlikely that it loops back around to probable and I don't know how to feel about it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Loeb would be the worst choice possible. Give it to Morrison.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Morrison wouldn’t want to deal with all the corporate stuff.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Monkey's Paw option:Zack Snyder

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Thranguy posted:

Monkey's Paw option:Zack Snyder

Do it you loving cowards.

I demand the Snyder Cut of Prez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Noob Saibot posted:

The thing that really pissed me off about Didio is how he tried to skew the narrative to serve his agenda. Like when he had Ted Kord killed Countdown to Infinite Crisis he went to all the interviews and Conventions afterwards and justified it by saying it was the first book to ever make blue beetle relevant constantly saying “who the hell cared about Blue Beetle last year?” Which was a really odd thing to say because the year before he stared in the fairly high selling “Formerly Known as the Justice League” mini that was so popular it garnered a longer sequel a year later. He also tried to make it sound like JLI was always just a big joke which wasn’t the case at all. Yes there was a lot of humor in the series but it also covered more series and traditional storylines as well and was one of the longest running justice league runs of all time and led to several spinoffs that continued well into the 90s.

I also didn’t care for his attitudes towards Nightwing, Cassandra Cain, and Wally West. His obsession with Omac that nobody gives a poo poo about, his constant desire to go back to the crisis well and mine old storylines, and the overall darker edgelord narrative he wanted in every book. Bringing back Barry Allen was loving stupid too.

Wasn't he also involved in a lot of shitfuckery with how Stephanie Brown and Billy Batson were handled back in the early to mid 2000's? I recall those very unpopular changes being on humor at least that being the train of thought. Ditto for a bunch of popular and well liked stuff from the Nu52 being canned like the Starfire run.