Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

large_gourd posted:

oh, right. yeah i mean i agree the 'emulation is amoral' opinion is stupid, but you said there's no way to play it legally and i just thought surely you could just get the old console and a cartridge which i guess is true.

so really there is a legal way to do it, it just doesn't pay anything to the original creators. that's different than there legitimately being no legal way to play something, i doubt there's a game where that is the case.

if you're a collector of anything you're going to be a fetishist, which is fine as long as you remember that your rules only apply to you.

There are games that were only available on digital shops which have been taken down and are no longer available anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing I do think plays a factor here is how absurdly strict Japan's IP laws are. Like, you can get arrested for selling an action figure you customised. If that's the norm where you're from, I can see how the idea of emulation might be grouped in with piracy, even it's a very different situation.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MassRafTer posted:

There are games that were only available on digital shops which have been taken down and are no longer available anywhere.

Yep, also online only games that have had servers taken down. The extent to which certain publishers care about that stuff differs but some will go hard to shut down unofficial servers even for games they don't sell anymore (like NCSoft with City of Heroes).

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ah okay fair enough i hadn't thought about those kind of cases. but i don't think emulating games where nobody who matters (ie, suits don't count) are actually going to benefit from your money is a bad thing, anyway. i think that's 100% okay and it's even a good thing for maintaining the existence of these things whether for documentation purposes or for entertainment.

i just thought there must be a legal way to play pretty much everything if that's what you feel you need to do, no matter how obscure, but i suppose that isn't always the case with digital only or online games.

Gaz-L posted:

One thing I do think plays a factor here is how absurdly strict Japan's IP laws are. Like, you can get arrested for selling an action figure you customised. If that's the norm where you're from, I can see how the idea of emulation might be grouped in with piracy, even it's a very different situation.

eh, doesn't excuse individual stupidity. takes like 30 seconds to complete the thought process.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

large_gourd posted:

ah okay fair enough i hadn't thought about those kind of cases. but i don't think emulating games where nobody who matters (ie, suits don't count) are actually going to benefit from your money is a bad thing, anyway. i think that's 100% okay and it's even a good thing for maintaining the existence of these things whether for documentation purposes or for entertainment.

i just thought there must be a legal way to play pretty much everything if that's what you feel you need to do, no matter how obscure, but i suppose that isn't always the case with digital only or online games.

eh, doesn't excuse individual stupidity. takes like 30 seconds to complete the thought process.

To take it even further there are games from the Nintendo Satellaview that don't even exist anymore. At best a couple have been partially restored. It's similar to wrestling in a way because we only have access to a lot of old TV (Memphis especially) because fans taped so much of it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

To take it even further there are games from the Nintendo Satellaview that don't even exist anymore. At best a couple have been partially restored. It's similar to wrestling in a way because we only have access to a lot of old TV (Memphis especially) because fans taped so much of it.

Also there were games distributed via rewritable disks and carts for the Game Boy and Famicom Disk System that we only have dumps of because people found those carts and dumped whatever was on them, those were games designed to be ephemeral and disposable. Then there's all the stuff stored on magnetic media like floppy disks or cassettes that is increasingly failing and would be lost forever without dumps and emulation. Then there's also the unreleased prototype games that've been found in dumpsters and in defunct company archives people have found like the NES port of Sim City.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

He left when his contract was up with an offer to re-sign on the table.

for some reason i totally thought they released him immediately after survivor series 2011

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007
Asuka has far too much to lose and absolutely nothing to gain by supporting piracy. At least, that's my read on the subject.
It's better for her to take a hardline stance against it, rather than risk her good relationships with every major player in the video game industry.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PepsimanVsJoe posted:

Asuka has far too much to lose and absolutely nothing to gain by supporting piracy. At least, that's my read on the subject.
It's better for her to take a hardline stance against it, rather than risk her good relationships with every major player in the video game industry.

Say nothing?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In terms of major publishers giving a poo poo about emulation, it's pretty much only Nintendo that actively cares. Even professional games media people talk about emulation as an accepted part of gaming these days.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PepsimanVsJoe posted:

Asuka has far too much to lose and absolutely nothing to gain by wearing a Nazi costume

Didn't stop her though!

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Didn't stop her though!

What? *googles Asuka Nazi uniform*

Oh...
Freaking pro-wrestlers. Sometimes I don't know why I even bother.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

PepsimanVsJoe posted:

What? *googles Asuka Nazi uniform*

Oh...
Freaking pro-wrestlers. Sometimes I don't know why I even bother.

Japan Loves Nazi cosplay.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in more ways than one

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. drat. Never thought I would be the one to say the original person's joke over again

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Japan IP law as a whole is weird as for a time it was super lax and companies themselves sold their IP in weird deals sometimes where the original creator ended up losing control of the property outside of Japan (hi Macross) and they corrected by moving super hard in the other direction.

You do still have events like Comiket and unlicensed Garage Kits that were around from before the laws got more strict and companies let them exists though.

Anyway as for emulation, I think you should support the original creator if you can buy the game but if you can't emulate away. And if you download/emulate cause you can't afford it than that's okay too

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Another thing to consider is that prices and availability of old games are much more reasonable in Japan, which would make the opinion seem at least somewhat less insane for a Japanese person to have. Still a dumb stance as far as I'm concerned.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Video game emulation is cool, and good! Go mod your NES/SNES Classics or your old 3DS.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Being that she seems more interested in streaming than she does wrestling now that WWE has beaten the love of wrestling out of her I'm not surprised she's already taking a video game companies should support me as a streamer stance

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

stealing from nintendo is fine because they keep reselling the same software 1,000 times on various different formats and will keep doing it, but also never offering more than about 15% of the range either. But I would never do it. the stealing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Asuka’s opinions on emulation are irrelevant now that I found out you can hack mame into a TV.

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos
Those Nazi Asuka pics are hot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hot trash

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

coconono posted:

Asuka’s opinions on emulation are irrelevant now that I found out you can hack mame into a TV.

say what

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There’s smart TVs running full boat Android OS.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Goddammit, Darby

(in a good way)

https://twitter.com/DarbyAllin/status/1231333648831569921

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Dream's panties gloves are amazing. I hope he wins the NXT title from Cole ASAP. I even love his horrific new gear that looks like Andy's toy room wall paper

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Natch.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Yukaichiban posted:

Those Nazi Asuka pics are hot.

you really keep swinging for the fences lol

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1231340517721423872?s=20

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://twitter.com/BeckyLynchWWE/status/1231347543264636930?s=09

Becky is the only person seriously trying to make this feud with Shayna work.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol

Social media was one of the worst inventions of all time

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

A lot of Japanese people won’t even charge their phone at work because that’s stealing electricity.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Eat My Fuc posted:

Dream's panties gloves are amazing. I hope he wins the NXT title from Cole ASAP. I even love his horrific new gear that looks like Andy's toy room wall paper

They're awful, including because they don't look like converted panties they're clearly just normal lace gloves. I doubt that part of the story will make it to TV but it would make me laugh in how lazy it is addition to horrible.

https://twitter.com/FO_VVerhei/status/1231296603715031040

Vinny meanwhile here with the 90s art blood bowl reference

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
can't wait for the dream of velveteen to pull off the panty gloves and make the bad guy sniff his fingers

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/zacyuki/status/1231316368554807296

Yukaichiban
Feb 7, 2020

by Athanatos

yea ok posted:

you really keep swinging for the fences lol

I mean all I got do is ignore the nazi bit, rest is hot.

Don't feel like I've swung for the fences any other time on here, although my comment after someone said Sanada may have hiromued himself didn't land well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yukaichiban posted:

I mean all I got do is

forkboy84 posted:

Say nothing?

:hmmyes:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/realkevinkelly/status/1231372978060808192

Adbot