Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

less than three posted:

Canadian Cellular: the market is already extremely competitive, prices are actually quite affordable contrary to popular belief

is that too long, prices are actually quite affordable contrary to popular belief works too

Canadian Cellular: America Will Nationalize Telecoms Before Us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I haven't updated my plan for about a decade and I'm realizing now that an $80 a month for a 1gb plan is a bad deal. gently caress.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I haven't updated my plan for about a decade and I'm realizing now that an $80 a month for a 1gb plan is a bad deal. gently caress.

Lol goddamn dude.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Bi-la kaifa posted:

The gently caress?

Take my Public Mobile referral, please.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

less than three posted:

Spend less on candles I guess

“We’ve cut our lunch budget to only being able to go order in on fridays now. Sorry, blame the CRTC.”

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I just got a job that pays my personal cell phone bill; I wonder if in the future Canadian telecom will be like American health care where we're afraid to change jobs lest we lose our plans

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nitr0 posted:

Oh no, guess those billions would have to go to other companies and the 5000 people that get laid off can go to the new competitors.

Darn what a shame oh gee oh golly.

"We have these random, secret flash sales over long weekends, what more do you want from us?!"

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I think you'll find that contrary to the phone plans in literally every other country in the world, you actually have it pretty good, you filthy loving peasants. You fill me with disdain.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
...and the ads have started

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Highest prices for lowest service in the western world; what a deal, a great bargoon
and visual voicemail is still 7 bucks

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
who the gently caress has an unlimited wireless plan in Canada

who the hell is even selling that

also Telus is trying to push promotions at me to get me to switch to Koodo from Public Mobile

it's tempting but honestly 4GB of 3G data is perfect for me right now

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Arivia posted:

All of the big 3 are selling unlimited data plans now? Well, unlimited in the sense that you won't get charged for going over X GB, you'll just get slowed down instead.

Tempting but I'm currently on a 10GB/$65 loyalty plan that I'm not getting close to using up so why pay $10 more for no reason?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 21, 2020

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Unlimited texting!*

*after 100 texts there's a 90 minute delivery delay, doesn't include sms, 10 cents per emoji

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arivia posted:

also Telus is trying to push promotions at me to get me to switch to Koodo from Public Mobile

it's tempting but honestly 4GB of 3G data is perfect for me right now

All 3 have "unlimited" plans for a while now. It's x GB (I have 15) of full speed data then you're throttled to 512kbps. You definitely will pull your hair out trying to use Instagram at that speed but things like WhatsApp are perfectly usable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"ACTUALLY, I think you'll find that Canadian cell phone plans are TOO good"
- Someone at Telus, probably

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If it's already plenty competitive then there shouldn't be any problem allowing more competitors.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Chris Knight posted:

loving disgusting. This is exactly why I don’t spend a dime with telus. Despite them having fiber to my home and an obviously better product. Fight the power. Fight the borg.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Reminder that Price Waterhouse Coopers licenses their name out like a franchise.

The Canada and the US branches don't necessarily even follow the same standards, they're under different ownership.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 21, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PwC is pond scum just like our telecoms.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yes actually unlimited data without throttling for half the price is worse than Canada for: <whatever Telus paid them to say>

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Reminder from the last time telecom was threatened. Every time they mention "US Company" replace that with "MVNO Sharing" and it's the same propaganda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndQv6wwaNyM

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 21, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC0uMKXsVM4

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
:42 - 1:08 is spot on for what's happening now.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I have a friend of the family who is involved in some sort of marital split and its become pretty bitter. They shared a Rogers family account but everything is in one persons name and they have the PIN/etc for the account. The friend wants to split off and just have their own Rogers account and keep their ancient phone #. Will Rogers accommodate this or are they going to insist that the account holder approve it?

I'm with Koodo and have no idea about Rogers policies. I assume they would allow it as long as she pays her device balance. Normally I would just tell her to go ahead and call Rogers but I know in the past when I've ported #s before they wanted some weird PIN and other info.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Gunslinger posted:

I have a friend of the family who is involved in some sort of marital split and its become pretty bitter. They shared a Rogers family account but everything is in one persons name and they have the PIN/etc for the account. The friend wants to split off and just have their own Rogers account and keep their ancient phone #. Will Rogers accommodate this or are they going to insist that the account holder approve it

Is their name on the account as an authorised user? Then probably.

If not it's probably easier to just port the number out to another carrier using the account number and a minwage kiosk employee who doesn't care.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

less than three posted:

Is their name on the account as an authorised user? Then probably.

If not it's probably easier to just port the number out to another carrier using the account number and a minwage kiosk employee who doesn't care.

I have no idea but I doubt it. It's one of those situations where one person was handling all of the finances. There's also a device balance on her phone which complicates things. Ugh.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Gunslinger posted:

I have no idea but I doubt it. It's one of those situations where one person was handling all of the finances. There's also a device balance on her phone which complicates things. Ugh.

Yeah, I worked as a Bell call centre drone and if your name isn't on the account or in the authorised names field I'd just nope you off the call.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Not that I'd ever suggest doing this but if you have a person of the correct gender call in with all the correct identifying information, then what would stop them from porting out the number, security questions?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dillbag posted:

Unless you're porting to Public Mobile and have plug in the account info into PM's site yourself, but even then it's really hard to gently caress up.

Yeah I phrased it badly, I meant you don't have to go to your old carrier to do anything, you give the IMEI and account # to the new one and they do a pull.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mewse posted:

Not that I'd ever suggest doing this but if you have a person of the correct gender call in with all the correct identifying information, then what would stop them from porting out the number, security questions?

Porting is all done by the receiving carrier. If they wanted to say with Rogers that would work.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Way back when (10+ years) you had to have both parties show up in person with ID to split an existing line off onto a new account. Maybe not any more? But you'd still be getting stuck with some standard retail plan instead of something good. Porting just seems easier - the device balance can be settled come final asset split.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
If they're on that bad of terms now is a device tab balance that big of an issue? :justport:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bell-telus-threatening-crtc-on-investment-cuts-is-part-of-the-playbook-experts-say-200603490.html

“Geist explained a similar scenario was played out when U.S.-based telecom carrier Verizon tried to enter the Canadian market in 2013. He said the major incumbent carriers went on an “immediate war footing” to put out op-eds, lobby the government and “engage in widespread attempts to convince the public that [Verizon] was a threat to investment and to the economic well-being of Canadian companies.”

Mmmmhm

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
:sigh: it worked then and it's going to work again now

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bell-telus-threatening-crtc-on-investment-cuts-is-part-of-the-playbook-experts-say-200603490.html

“Geist explained a similar scenario was played out when U.S.-based telecom carrier Verizon tried to enter the Canadian market in 2013. He said the major incumbent carriers went on an “immediate war footing” to put out op-eds, lobby the government and “engage in widespread attempts to convince the public that [Verizon] was a threat to investment and to the economic well-being of Canadian companies.”

Mmmmhm

In fairness, this is Verizon here. A company caught lying and misleading customers multiple times by Android Police alone, never mind other publications.

On second thought, they'll fit right in.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I missed this lmao

quote:

The company’s executive also said that it would reduce philanthropic spending.

what assholes. maintain the status quo or the charities get it!!!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

less than three posted:

It's dangerously easy, just provide your account number.

Chris Knight posted:

It's all automated and taken care of on the new carrier's end.

Does mean that as soon as I start a new account with, say, Telus, there is some notification sent to Rogers to close my account and that my number is now a number with Telus' system?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

VERTiG0 posted:

Does mean that as soon as I start a new account with, say, Telus, there is some notification sent to Rogers to close my account and that my number is now a number with Telus' system?

Yes, which is why you always want to make sure doing it won't get you hit with some kind of unexpected fees, like if you owe a tab, if you have a contract (which is still possible, if non-standard), etc. You do have to explicitly make the request to Telus to port you over, though.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Right. I have not been on a normal contract with Rogers for over a year now, so there's nothing owing and nothing keeping me with them. This sounds too good to be true and too easy to be a thing in this market.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

VERTiG0 posted:

Bingo