Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nah I mean the supersizeme guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

nah I mean the supersizeme guy

Oh right, then yeah

since it's the capitalism thread, apparently a Big Mac is the cheapest per calorie food you can buy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

bike tory posted:

Oh right, then yeah

since it's the capitalism thread, apparently a Big Mac is the cheapest per calorie food you can buy.

Maybe among prepared foods.

A bottle of rapeseed oil, a 50 pound bag of rice, or even bulk nuts probably beat it several times over

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Wasn't he drinking super heavily during his "all mcdonalds" diet?

I don't know if anyone knows if he was drinking during the experiment but he admitted to a serious drinking problem. Going cold turkey for a month could explain some of his issues and the alcohol is a far better answer as to why he had the liver of an alcoholic than McDonald's.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got drug into an applestore

They also have smart foam rollers, bike helmets and coffee cups.

They still use old MacBooks to connect to phones and iPads because using dongles is apparently too much hassle

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sorry that I keep posting these but it blows me away each time. House in background not included.

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1231035066538590208

$1M dollar appreciation in a year (asked for) for nothing

up Up UP

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I got an authentic milk crate for 0.00 back in the day by asking our milko if they had an old one I could have. That was before capitalism MILLENIALS :argh: ruined home delivery of milk, though.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Weatherman posted:

I got an authentic milk crate for 0.00 back in the day by asking our milko if they had an old one I could have. That was before capitalism MILLENIALS :argh: ruined home delivery of milk, though.

I got one to stick on the back of my bike a month ago by walking out onto the street and grabbing the first one I saw. They're really not hard to find and they come with authentic scuff marks.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah that's the pro move, just grab one. Gather a few dozen and you don't need a bed frame for your mattress, a few dozen more and you're free from chairs or tables forever.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i use milk crates to store extra clothes that don't fit in my tiny dresser, iirc my family just found them on the street

the real pro move is to go to liquor stores to get free moving boxes

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

T-man posted:

i use milk crates to store extra clothes that don't fit in my tiny dresser, iirc my family just found them on the street

the real pro move is to go to liquor stores to get free moving boxes

lol if you don't just use the boxes your bulk liquor comes in after you finish it all off when you try to self-medicate away the existential horror that is the 21st century, just lol, just lol

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Look at these bourgie assholes and their milk crates, I use cardboard banana boxes from the local supermarket

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Koishi Komeiji posted:

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1230616874838351878
tbf "We can prove our food is organic! look at it decompose!" probably sounded a lot cooler in the advertiser guy's head.
is this real? lol at all the people who green-lighted it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shame Boy posted:

Monoxygen monoxide

gesundheit

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

bike tory posted:

Look at these bourgie assholes and their milk crates, I use cardboard banana boxes from the local supermarket

Oh you can afford to shop at a supermarket, can you?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Cowpocalypse posted:

is this real? lol at all the people who green-lighted it

Yes can confirm. I've seen it in the metro ads here in Stockholm

Just these gigantic posters of rotten food

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Marketers ought to be guillotined because of their rotten moral core, but they need to be because they are loving dumb

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm a marketer and I agree

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the tainted krabby patty from that one spongebob episode, but it's an ad

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Zzulu posted:

Yes can confirm. I've seen it in the metro ads here in Stockholm

Just these gigantic posters of rotten food

wow, i at least expected that they would put some sort of slogan explaining why moldy burgers are a good thing

it looks like the fundamental mistake of adbusters is that they thought they had to create satire instead of just waiting for the real thing to move beyond parody

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The text at the top says "The whopper, day 28"

The bottom says "the nice thing about the lack of conservatives"

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i watched super size me 3 or 4 times in PE and all i remember is all the banksy style painting of mcdonalds but its auschwitz and ronald is the kommandant or whatever

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zzulu posted:

I'm all for eradicating conservatives.

I see they dodged the "en whopper or ett whopper" dilemma by using "the".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
makes u think

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Serious question: how do Swedes decide whether new nouns are en or ett?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Serious question: how do Swedes decide whether new nouns are en or ett?

My guess: No one knows, least of all the Swedes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Zzulu posted:

oh, okay

well at least they explain their lovely reasoning and i guess i can see how someone who has never had to acquire basic life skills like preparing food or cleaning might think that they could impress someone by "inventing" food going bad

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's basically just an ad designed to a) get attention and b) make people think about burger king

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Zzulu posted:

It's basically just an ad designed to a) get attention and b) make people think about burger king

getting attention is overrated

like if burger king wants me to buy more of their lovely food, they need to have more than their single location that's downtown, like maybe four more to compete

they could also move their current location back to the main downtown hub instead of tucked away by a tourist hub. although i'm sure that one does really well, but they've gone so far down the neoliberalism rabbit hole they've forgotten that material conditions exit at all

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Hodgepodge posted:

getting attention is overrated

like if burger king wants me to buy more of their lovely food, they need to have more than their single location that's downtown, like maybe four more to compete

they could also move their current location back to the main downtown hub instead of tucked away by a tourist hub. although i'm sure that one does really well, but they've gone so far down the neoliberalism rabbit hole they've forgotten that material conditions exit at all

oh okay

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Burger King is the worst fast food chain, it's better to avoid their "food" entirely. Moldy or not.

Unless you're really into burgers that are way too sweet.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://twitter.com/ichhdublin/status/1231386516888465410?s=21

95% of new built apartments last year in Ireland were bought by investment funds.

Our neoliberal government encouraged this market led housing solution by giving the same investment funds 100% tax breaks on rental income from newly constructed residential properties.

And yet hundreds of them are unoccupied, some high profile luxury developments not even 50% occupied. They aren’t affordable due to being rented at amounts that would cost the entire salary of a single person on the average wage of a full time worker.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Marenghi posted:

https://twitter.com/ichhdublin/status/1231386516888465410?s=21

95% of new built apartments last year in Ireland were bought by investment funds.

Our neoliberal government encouraged this market led housing solution by giving the same investment funds 100% tax breaks on rental income from newly constructed residential properties.

And yet hundreds of them are unoccupied, some high profile luxury developments not even 50% occupied. They aren’t affordable due to being rented at amounts that would cost the entire salary of a single person on the average wage of a full time worker.

if you think about it, in the longer term it's probably a good sign that the nobility are losing touch with the tenent-rentier relationship because it means there are probably a lot of them out there who have no idea what mechanisms put them into power and less how to maintain and expand them

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

if you think about it, in the longer term it's probably a good sign that the nobility are losing touch with the tenent-rentier relationship because it means there are probably a lot of them out there who have no idea what mechanisms put them into power and less how to maintain and expand them

the cool thing about being in the ownership class is you get to change the levers

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

JudgeX posted:

the cool thing about being in the ownership class is you get to change the levers

extracting rents is more like the fuel. the rents come from labour, the engine, but are also fed back into it just enough to make it work

currently so much wealth has been transferred to the capitalist class that it it's quite possible to succeed wildly within it without understanding that some of the parts keep the whole thing running while others increase the efficiency with which the engine of exploitation runs but are not required for its basic functioning

of course, the cynicism inherent to being in the position of benefit means that it doesn't matter in terms of the decision to profit from something, but it does matter when it comes to understanding how exactly you're getting away with it

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 16:38 on Feb 23, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Capitalists are crackheads, and they're at the point of tearing the copper out of the walls to sell for crack, but with national infrastructure.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Capitalists are crackheads, and they're at the point of tearing the copper out of the walls to sell for crack, but with national infrastructure.

addiction is a consequence of our brain's reward function, which is activated by important rewards such as success and power, and especially money. gambling is well recognized as addictive, and our economy is currently organized as a form of gambling for the elite

so you're basically barely even making an analogy here. we've successfully transitioned to an aristocracy of gambling addicts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

extracting rents is more like the fuel. the rents come from labour, the engine, but are also fed back into it just enough to make it work

currently so much wealth has been transferred to the capitalist class that it it's quite possible to succeed wildly within it without understanding that some of the parts keep the whole thing running while others increase the efficiency with which the engine of exploitation runs but are not required for its basic functioning

of course, the cynicism inherent to being in the position of benefit means that it doesn't matter in terms of the decision to profit from something, but it does matter when it comes to understanding how exactly you're getting away with it

i'm less disagreeing with you and more trying to on that the alienation of the classes from one another IS a good sign it's not enough, only organization will destroy class hegemony