Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I just read this a few weeks back. It was a terrific reminder of what a good writer Al Ewing is.

Hercules and Marvel Boy flirting in the new GotG is very good.

Skwirl posted:

Was Old Man Logan in the 616 at the same time as original flavor Logan? I thought Laura was Wolverine for almost all of his run and then they killed him right around the same time they brought back normal Logan.

Yeah, they got to meet right as Old Man Logan got shipped back to the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

How Wonderful! posted:

I adored the sequence in this week's Mary-Jane where she takes out her big hoop earrings before the fight. That's the kind of little well-observed detail that I love about Leah Williams and just the kind of thing you get when you let titles about women be written by women. I'm so stoked to see this series continue.

reminded me of the coincidental release timed bop with the hair tie

had to catch up on issue 4 first and while he was directing jane for the fight scene using illusions i couldnt help but think quentin could make a killing just hiring out his services for directors to block out shots now that hes back in hollywood. seems like itd be pretty useful

e: choosing to believe angela and sera being together is canon again

site fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 20, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Get Daken out of there!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Where's Hercules???? :mad:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Hercules and Marvel Boy flirting in the new GotG is very good.

The only problem with GotG thus far is I think it wants me to be very impressed with Phyla and I like her and all but I feel like I've missed something, maybe from not reading Cate's book.

site posted:

e: choosing to believe angela and sera being together is canon again

Is that Prodigy next to Karma? I didn't know he was... well he dated Surge I think, so I'm going to say bi?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

The only problem with GotG thus far is I think it wants me to be very impressed with Phyla and I like her and all but I feel like I've missed something, maybe from not reading Cate's book.

Is that Prodigy next to Karma? I didn't know he was... well he dated Surge I think, so I'm going to say bi?

She was kinda cool when she was Quasar.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Was Old Man Logan in the 616 at the same time as original flavor Logan? I thought Laura was Wolverine for almost all of his run and then they killed him right around the same time they brought back normal Logan.

They met exactly one time before OML went back to his own time/reality.

(page from Dead Man Logan #6)

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

Get Daken out of there!

If Loki deserves to be there, so does Daken. (It super suck that one of the most visible bi characters in Marvel is a walking rohipnol. I’m so glad that poo poo seemed to be forgotten).
Anyone has a list of names of the characters in that page? I don’t recognize the one between Shade and America, the short haired blonde next to Nico, the one with the silver helmet in the last panel (between Daken and Shatterstar), the one flying with their hands on fire on the last panel, the ones to the right of Daken and the red haired one in front of D-Man.

Edit: Bruce Banner go on chapo.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 20, 2020

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Vincent posted:

If Loki deserves to be there, so does Daken. (It super suck that one of the most visible bi characters in Marvel is a walking rohipnol. I’m so glad that poo poo seemed to be forgotten).
Anyone has a list of names of the characters in that page? I don’t recognize the one between Shade and America, the short haired blonde next to Nico, the one with the silver helmet in the last panel (between Daken and Shatterstar), the one flying with their hands on fire on the last panel, the ones to the right of Daken and the red haired one in front of D-Man.

Edit: Bruce Banner go on chapo.

Cullen Bloodstone is next to Nico. Aikku Jokinen / Pod-2 is behind Daken's left shoulder. Red haired lady in front of D-Man is Jovana / Captain Swain from Royals.

Wiccan, Hulkling, Striker, Karma, Karolina Dean, Nico Minoru, Phyla-Vell, Moondragon, Flatman, [Don't know the purple robed lady], Shade/Darkveil, [Unknown bald dude], America Chavez, Sera, Angela, Iceman, Julie Power, Koi Boi, Northstar, Anole, Bling!
Hindsight, Benjamin Deeds, Prodigy, Graymalkin, Captain Swain, D-man, Living Lightning, Raz Malhotra, Ramone Watts/Alloy, Viv Vision, [fancy jacket], Loki, Shatterstar, Rictor, Daken, Pod-2, Glory, a cadet from Alpha Flight, & Tong.

I also enjoyed Noh-Varr and Hercules flirting, and Daredevil, Captain Marvel and Atlantis Attacks were all standouts this week. Deadpool #3 made me chuckle a few times as well.

EDIT: oh, that's clever - the one I didn't recognise between Darkveil and America is Stonewall. Telekinian is the jacketed person, and Nocturne (Angela Cairn) is the purple robed lady.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 20, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
may solicits

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Kinda annoyed to not see squirrel girl in all that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Finally Paul Grist writing Union Jack. What a time to be alive.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I couldn't believe it when I saw.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I rarely read solicits but I can't believe they're just doing Venom again with Ms. Marvel

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
mmm cap and the mighty avengers managed to work in a last days to secret wars ending that was actually decent (both of the final 2 issues are good but this is a good send off)

site fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 21, 2020

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

site posted:

mmm cap and the mighty avengers managed to work in a last days to secret wars ending that was actually decent (both of the final 2 issues are good but this is a good send off)

I love the last two issues of Cap and Mighty Avengers, that last issue always makes me cry with everyone helping out in the face of annihilation.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Did a double take when I saw that Daredevil annual, not gonna lie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

site posted:

Silver Surfer and Ms Marvel both had good Last Days issues. Secret Wars didn’t have many bad tie ins.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Lord_Hambrose posted:

He was really good. :unsmith: it was also helpful because it made it really easy to identify customers who are deeply racist but on the quiet. Letting your sidekick of 40 years take over is probably much more sensible than letting some guy who was until very recently a brainwashed assassin.

When I worked at a store, we had the old dude who came in once every couple of months to see if there was anything new with original Nick Fury in it. He was pretty clear he only wanted original Nick Fury, and while I had suspicions, he was never openly racist about it. While I was showing him some stuff, a regular handed him a copy of the Ultimates and said "Nick Fury is Samuel Jackson now and it's awesome!"

Old dude yells at him "I'm not reading about a drat half breed!" and left the store and I never saw him again.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

omnibobb posted:

Old dude yells at him "I'm not reading about a drat half breed!" and left the store and I never saw him again.

:eyepop: Jesus Christ.

I wonder how many Cap fans that like the Falcon would describe him as "One of the Good Ones"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

omnibobb posted:

When I worked at a store, we had the old dude who came in once every couple of months to see if there was anything new with original Nick Fury in it. He was pretty clear he only wanted original Nick Fury, and while I had suspicions, he was never openly racist about it. While I was showing him some stuff, a regular handed him a copy of the Ultimates and said "Nick Fury is Samuel Jackson now and it's awesome!"

We had a dude who straight up dropped the n word over this and when Falcon became Cap. My boss refused to allow me to kick the dude out.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
We should all post stories about the times we said slurs in relation to comic books. I'll start.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

We should all post stories about the times we said slurs in relation to comic books. I'll start.

Paging KittyKate Pryde.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

I DIDN'T SAY IT

Legit when they announced Sam Cap the dud came in and bought up a ton of Cap comics and felt the need to tell me he was buying them "before they turned him into a n-word" and I had to go for a walk after that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the first thing to ever make me second guess crusher being in black bolt, from secret warriors 12

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

the first thing to ever make me second guess crusher being in black bolt, from secret warriors 12

What the gently caress? Like even when he's been a complete dick in the past he's been devoted to Titania and not talking about raping corpses.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

site posted:

don't the Wrecking Crew have a similar issue where they'll try and redeem like Thunderball or someone when canonically the four of them once killed a schoolbus full of children for clout?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

don't the Wrecking Crew have a similar issue where they'll try and redeem like Thunderball or someone when canonically the four of them once killed a schoolbus full of children for clout?

You're thinking of Speedball.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

This is how you write a good villain. I had totally forgotten this part of the book.

Honestly, I mostly remember them hacking a computer so Hickman could show some cool graphic design.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Bendis have Wrecker imply he wanted to rape Spider-Woman or somebody?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This happens consistently at both of the big two, the most you can ever hope is that one creative team gets to write a shades-of-gray supercriminal for their full story before someone has them declaring their allegiance to the the extermination of the human race for a demon while casually engaging in hate crimes.

Case in point, the last page of Daredevil this week has the Billionaire Siblings Bullying Mayor Fisk bring in their team of mercenaries to "purge" Hell's Kitchen of all of its civilians, and in that group is:

1) Bullseye, an absolute kill-crazy psychotic who will happily kill children
2) Crossbones, a mercenary character who used to be kind of a "I'm in this for the money but you're a psychopath, I'm out" character but who in the past decade or so has been repeatedly shown as a Nazi/Hydra/Kill 98% of the Global Population true believer
3) Rhino, a character who has repeatedly been shown trying to reform and who was last seen a few months ago teaming up with Miles Morales to rescue a bunch of kidnapped kids because he thought Miles seemed like a good dude and they both care about innocent kids
4) Bullet, a paranoid prepper mercenary whose entire world revolves around keeping his son safe, last seen trying to track down and arrest Bullseye
5) Stilt Man, a scientist mad at corporations stealing his patents so he turned to crime to try to get money to do more research on stilt legs, last seen being dead, I think

Anyway forget all of that, they're all a gang of dudes working with the dude who kidnapped a gang leader's kid and threatened to kill her and now they're going to kill all of the people in Hell's Kitchen, because they're bad guys, after all.

Also out of the Wrecking Crew, the Wrecker has pretty much always been a violent lovely rear end in a top hat, but from the start Thunderball was a physicist who was kind of reluctantly stuck with the Wrecking Crew because he's bonded to the other three mooks via Norse magic. This comes up about half of the time they appear, in the other half he's just a big dude who is all DUHHH OKAY BOSS when the Wrecker wants to crush some puppies or something.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 23, 2020

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Skwirl posted:

You're thinking of Speedball.

too many 'balls in comics imo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Look it's easy Speedball is the one who sounds like slang for cocaine and Thunderball is

uh

wait

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
There's only two types of 'balls in comics, the Not Goldballs and the Goldballs.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There's only one -balls, but there are plenty of Ball(s)

8-Ball
Ballz
Butterball
Butterball II
Cannonball
Dr. Meatball
Dodgeball
Eightball
Fateball
Fireball
Furball
Hairball
Hardball
Human Cannonball
Oddball
Pinball
Pinball Lizard
Screwball
Shalla-Bal
Slimeball
Speedball
Thunderball

It's possible that the Marvel Universe is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvIz6dEoQ_Q

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I remember Fateball, that mini was extremely crummy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There are many 'balls, but only one who is nigh invulnerable when blastin'!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Also out of the Wrecking Crew, the Wrecker has pretty much always been a violent lovely rear end in a top hat, but from the start Thunderball was a physicist who was kind of reluctantly stuck with the Wrecking Crew because he's bonded to the other three mooks via Norse magic. This comes up about half of the time they appear, in the other half he's just a big dude who is all DUHHH OKAY BOSS when the Wrecker wants to crush some puppies or something.

You even sort of got that in Wrecker and Thunderball's appearance in Waid's Doctor Strange and if like anybody should know better, you'd think it would be Waid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so finished secret warriors last night. good to see even back in 08 hickman was using his patented interstitial matter in the first trade to lay out organizational charts and the like, shine on you crazy diamond :patriot: i think the "best" moment was the dual flashback the the howling commandos bar meetup cut with the attack on the hydra base that got most of em killed. was pretty well composed (although thats not to say the rest wasnt, hickman can apparently write some good fury based spy story, just that was a peak point for the book). i dont want to use the word "bad" because it wasnt, but i feel like if the ~ full reveal ~ at the end needed TWO issues in order for fury to monologue out his whole plan out maybe it was a tad bit overly convoluted lol.

left me craving another good fury and/or shield book tho, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I seem to recall that SW got cut short and he had to really load up those final issues to wrap it up.