Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hate to tell you this but Star Trek is a tv show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

the gently caress you say

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm convinced that Worf never actually committed a crime on Risa. Sort of a fantasy island scenario. None of it was real. That was just Worf's vacation.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

It’s real to me damnit!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I'm convinced that Worf never actually committed a crime on Risa. Sort of a fantasy island scenario. None of it was real. That was just Worf's vacation.

"Boss, de Runabout!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, all he really did was make it windy and rainy for an afternoon, undoubtedly causing many vacationers to hurriedly take shelter, cuddle up in blankets and gently caress.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, all he really did was make it windy and rainy for an afternoon, undoubtedly causing many vacationers to hurriedly take shelter, cuddle up in blankets and gently caress.

I wonder how many people even noticed or cared.

"See? I told you that was a fucknado outside and not just the neighbors. I guess we'll go to the orgy before windsurfing today."

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't he give the other weirdos the remote before noping out and then acted surprised when they started making earthquakes and poo poo? Not particularly good judgement imo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Didn't he give the other weirdos the remote before noping out and then acted surprised when they started making earthquakes and poo poo? Not particularly good judgement imo.

Worf’s always been an idiot though. This is the same guy who comes from the planet of drunken fratbros but is constantly shocked when they don’t act like strict bushido code samurai.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

sounds kinda nice :3:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Worf’s always been an idiot though. This is the same guy who comes from the planet of drunken fratbros but is constantly shocked when they don’t act like strict bushido code samurai.

The man runs into his wife's hot ex on Risa and his response is to join the Proud Boys, he's a certified idiot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

General Battuta posted:

The man runs into his wife's hot ex on Risa and his response is to join the Proud Boys, he's a certified idiot.

:vince:

“A warrior who wipes is without honor.”

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Horrible Taste posted:

Unless it was Data, then Picard would let it fly without even a slap on the wrist like when Data hijacked the entire ship and endangered the life of a poisoned child.

Look, if you start kicking out everyone who's had their brains hosed with by an outside source, you're gonna be unable to crew the fleet within a year.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Look, if you start kicking out everyone who's had their brains hosed with by an outside source, you're gonna be unable to crew the fleet within a year.

Picard himself gets possessed/ influenced like twice before the 10th episode of season one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

This is now my official interpretation and I will not watch it again to notice any proof to the contrary

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Do you mean Qo'noS or Minsk? :v:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is the same guy who comes from the planet of drunken fratbros.

Belarus is a country, not a planet.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Was the farm planet he murdered that one kid on also full of fratbros?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Was the farm planet he murdered that one kid on also full of fratbros?

Well he killed him in a soccer match, so I assume there was some level of hooliganism on Gault.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I watched "For the Uniform" tonight and I'm pretty sure I saw the face a Klingon makes when he has to accept that he has lost honor.

This episode used to be absolutely adored and referenced ad nauseum by people defending the Bush Doctrine fifteen years ago, as the Federation civilians in the DMZ choking on gas for being aligned with raiding parties on Starfleet vessels was more or less what Bush-era neocons wanted to do to the Palestinians for Hamas. I don't know if any of those people ever watched Wrath of Khan, since the episode feels like a reversal of TWoK right down to a heavy-handed literary reference.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 23, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

IT'S REAL

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Pick posted:

shut up wesley!

gently caress that was funny, the captain is so random. also Lore was cool and I hope he comes back

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Is Worf even still with Starfleet if he's now the Federation ambassador to the Klingons?

As of Nemesis Word was back on the Enterprise with some offhand line about how a diplomats life hadn't agreed with him.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

As of Nemesis Word was back on the Enterprise with some offhand line about how a diplomats life hadn't agreed with him.

Oh right, I don't think I watched Nemesis more than once and I've forgotten big chunks of that movie.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I wish there was a tally of every episode that features a character talking to their mirror universe/holographic/whatever double. Any instance of an actor being shoddily split-screened into a scene with themselves. We all intuitively know it happens a lot, but it really happens a lot once you start noticing it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There aren’t actually many occasions where people literally meet their own mirror universe equivalent. Kira did, but I can’t immediately think of another occasion. Transporter clones are more common.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the Thomas Riker episode is the best for that sort of thing. Lots of awkward shots with the two of them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

I wish there was a tally of every episode that features a character talking to their mirror universe/holographic/whatever double. Any instance of an actor being shoddily split-screened into a scene with themselves. We all intuitively know it happens a lot, but it really happens a lot once you start noticing it.

There's also that episode where Brent Spinner plays three characters alone together on a planet, that was pretty great.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Janeway met her counterpart face to face in "Deadlock". The Doctor interacted with his creator in "Lifeline". B'elanna was split into human and Klingon halves that worked together in "Faces".

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

You also have Kirk split into his good and evil halves and I suppose Data got to meet a bunch of selves when he was in that time lab trying to figure out which one was in the correct timeframe?

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 23, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Riker and Pulaski meet (and smoke) their own clones in the Irish episode, can’t remember how that was filmed off the top of my head tho

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The clones were only partially formed and translucent, so they were just dummies.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that may have been the only Star Trek episode to have a thing about abortion.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Let's see, DS9 ones...
The already-mentioned Kira and Mirror Kira
Jadzia and Bashir's Fantasy Horny Jadzia
Odo and Other Changeling Posing as Odo
O'Brien and Slightly Different Timeline O'Brien

I feel like I'm still missing something obvious.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that may have been the only Star Trek episode to have a thing about abortion.

There's also the bit in The Child where all the male bridge crew members sit round the table and discuss what Troi should do with her pregnancy. Worf advocated termination.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This train of thought was started by watching VOY: Relativity and TNG: Descent and Second Chances back to back to back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wonder if the Federation has guidelines around how far along a clone can be formed before it can be considered a viable sentient being.

That's a whole other thing the episode really didn't touch on. If these people were were grown as full adults, how in the hell did they go through all the normal brain development and learn stuff?

I honestly suspect the reason why they went with a fully grown counterpart is so they could sidestep the whole abortion question. If these people were creating cloned embryos that went through normal human development from birth, termination of that is likely something that wouldn't have flown on TV.

It's also one of those things that seems a little anachronistic by today's standards. If someone has the technology to grow a fully formed clone human, then surely they have the tools for gene editing to create enough genetic diversity.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Also re doubles there's the one where Picard meets and kills himself through some time travel fuckery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

marktheando posted:

Also re doubles there's the one where Picard meets and kills himself through some time travel fuckery.

Well, that one gets sidestepped because once he closes the loop, the copy he killed ceases to exist in the first place. So did he actually kill anyone then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

marktheando posted:

He only kills him indirectly by making a different choice.