Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Every now and then someone asks about books that are good for information on early Japan, so I thought this is worth bringing up:

Sources of Japanese Tradition: From Earliest Times to 1600

is just like...there...on Academia.edu. The entire thing. I haven't read this one, but the volumes for Korean history are some of the most helpful English language books out there and I imagine this is similar--it's a collection of relevant primary source snippets covering basically every possible subject. If you're someone with institutional access to research databases then this won't be that special, but this is a pretty amazing book to just be completely available to the public like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Koramei posted:

Every now and then someone asks about books that are good for information on early Japan, so I thought this is worth bringing up:

Sources of Japanese Tradition: From Earliest Times to 1600

is just like...there...on Academia.edu. The entire thing. I haven't read this one, but the volumes for Korean history are some of the most helpful English language books out there and I imagine this is similar--it's a collection of relevant primary source snippets covering basically every possible subject. If you're someone with institutional access to research databases then this won't be that special, but this is a pretty amazing book to just be completely available to the public like this.

this book looks cool, thanks for sharing. i probably won't read the whole thing but i'll definitely flip through a few chapters absentmindedly one afternoon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

What's Morgan got to say about it?
I dunno, my issue's late and I can't log into the e-magazine site thing. Something about my email?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

How do Greek and Roman ideas on male homosexual activity compare/contrast? And I know there were many Greek city-states that were very different and I'm guessing Rome had a lot of different ideas depending on time and location too but is there any general rule?

I was told many years ago Greeks had a more pleasant view of male sexuality, especially Athenians given their misogyny. It was the Romans who had the disdainful view for you being the penetrated partner. But I have no idea how true any of this is. (Well, apart from Athenians being massively sexist. I know that was totally true)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

How do Greek and Roman ideas on male homosexual activity compare/contrast? And I know there were many Greek city-states that were very different and I'm guessing Rome had a lot of different ideas depending on time and location too but is there any general rule?

I was told many years ago Greeks had a more pleasant view of male sexuality, especially Athenians given their misogyny. It was the Romans who had the disdainful view for you being the penetrated partner. But I have no idea how true any of this is. (Well, apart from Athenians being massively sexist. I know that was totally true)

Greeks weren't big on being penetrated either; proper Greek pederasty involved the erastκs placing his dick between the thighs of the erτmenos and thrusting.

According to Homosexuality in the Ancient World, by Wayne R. Dynes and Stephen Donaldson, "The Greeks knew other types of homosexuality" than the normative form of pederasty, "but considered them rare or silly; the adult pathic (passive partner) was an object of ridicule." On the other hand, "Pedophilia in the sense of attraction to boys younger than twelve has left no trace in the literature" regarding ancient Greece, which provides a contrast with some really horrific anecedotes from Rome (e.g., Suetonius on Tiberius).

The Romans had a law called the Lex Scantinia that prohibited certain forms of homosexual behavior, although exactly what those were unclear; possibly it only banned nonconsensual assaults on freeborn males.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 23, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Greeks weren't big on being penetrated either; proper Greek pederasty involved the erastκs placing his dick between the thighs of the erτmenos and thrusting.

According to Homosexuality in the Ancient World, by Wayne R. Dynes and Stephen Donaldson, "The Greeks knew other types of homosexuality" than the normative form of pederasty, "but considered them rare or silly; the adult pathic (passive partner) was an object of ridicule." On the other hand, "Pedophilia in the sense of attraction to boys younger than twelve has left no trace in the literature" regarding ancient Greece, which provides a contrast with some really horrific anecedotes from Rome (e.g., Suetonius on Tiberius).

The Romans had a law called the Lex Scantinia that prohibited certain forms of homosexual behavior, although exactly what those were unclear; possibly it only banned nonconsensual assaults on freeborn males.

What happened to Tiberius?

And thanks for the info and the source.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Traditional Roman culture perceived itself as being more opposed to male homosexuality than the Greeks — which is not to say that this was necessarily accurate about every Roman or every Greek. It was very much a Roman topos to contrast traditional Roman morality with oriental sexual deviance; hence e.g. the long-running rumor that Caesar had taken it up the rear end from the king of Bithynia during his military tribunate is supposed to convince you (the hyper-wealthy politically engaged Roman citizen) that Caesar is not a “real man”.

This kind of slur worked to some extent because Roman mores did broadly consider being passive during homosexual sex as unsuitable for free men. However, this does not mean that Roman men did not have sex with teenage boys — they did, quite a lot, sometimes to the dismay of contemporary moralists, other times not so much. Roman art and literature treats of sexual desire for boys regularly under the republic and high empire. After the 3rd century crisis and particularly in the 4th century (by which point all major political leaders are Christians and are obliged to look like they oppose sexual immorality), governments got harsher and harsher on homosexual conduct by men.

Roman men also had sex with adult men sometimes: this was considered weirder but was still done. Some of the same Roman figures who praise pederasty are those who express contempt for men who were penetrated by other men. It was not unheard of for men to marry men or boys (Emperor Nero allegedly did this) and probably a lot more common to keep them as concubines (a number of emperors did this: Hadrian’s concubine Antinous was a particularly notable figure, deified upon death and made into a sculptural sex symbol — but note that Antinous was Greek and Hadrian made a point of appearing to be thoroughly Hellenic).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

suetonius's story about tiberius is possibly his least believable story of all. and when you're talking about suetonius that really says something

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

What happened to Tiberius?

And thanks for the info and the source.

According to Suetonius, he kept a bunch of extremely young fuckboys in his palace at Capri

quote:

Then in Capri's woods and groves he arranged a number of nooks of venery where boys and girls got up as Pans and nymphs solicited outside bowers and grottoes: people openly called this "the old goat's garden," punning on the island's name.

He acquired a reputation for still grosser depravities that one can hardly bear to tell or be told, let alone believe. For example, he trained little boys (whom he termed tiddlers) to crawl between his thighs when he went swimming and tease him with their licks and nibbles; and unweaned babies he would put to his organ as though to the breast, being by both nature and age rather fond of this form of satisfaction. Left a painting of Parrhasius's depicting Atalanta pleasuring Meleager with her lips on condition that if the theme displeased him he was to have a million sesterces instead, he chose to keep it and actually hung it in his bedroom. The story is also told that once at a sacrifice, attracted by the acolyte's beauty, he lost control of himself and, hardly waiting for the ceremony to end, rushed him off and debauched him and his brother, the flute-player, too; and subsequently, when they complained of the assault, he had their legs broken.

Allegedly (also by Suetonius), the future short-lived emperor Vitellius was one of the kids, his father having whored him out to curry favor. This should illustrate the kind of political invective that you’re reading here: better not take it too very seriously.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

suetonius's story about tiberius is possibly his least believable story of all. and when you're talking about suetonius that really says something

It did give us Cyrano's best avatar though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How often are extremely taboo sexual practices attested on better-recorded rulers? I sort of got the impression that kings tend to be at least as good at hiding their freaky poo poo as the average person, because there really aren't very many reliable accounts of it. I was thinking the other day about how the fact that there was sexual gossip about all the Roman emperors means that we basically have to dismiss all of them: if any of them are actually true, then we'll just never know because it's indistinguishable from gossipmongering. I wonder how many extremely unlikely events got written down, but are dismissed by modern historians because it's more likely that the writer was making it up (or reporting something someone else made up) than that the unlikely thing actually happened.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dio talks about Trajan’s fondness for boys like it was general knowledge and broadly accepted because he didn’t do it to excess or hurt anybody by it. (Wonder what the boys thought about that.) He brings it up as a trifling vice at the end of a glowing assessment of Trajan’s character. The tone of Roman writers on homosexual behavior isn’t always polemical or smearing. We’ll obviously never know for sure if any antique historian is being truthful about any aspect of anyone’s character, but I don’t think we need to assume they’re making everything up either. Notice how careful Suetonius is to equivocate about the really dirty rumors, “he acquired a reputation for such and so”, “the story is told that”, he does this kind of thing constantly through the Vita Caesarum whenever he’s just talking poo poo. By contrast he reports the infamous story about Tiberius loving up the fisherman with his own fish completely without qualifying it. Who knows what he really knew about any of it? But we can at least try to think about where he was coming from.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
Would anyone have recommendations on books of Roman history/culture for the non-academic? To be more specific, I'm a writer looking at doing a fantasy series in not-Rome and while 100% accuracy isn't the goal, I'd like to nail the flavor down enough that someone reading it would say "oh, hey, this guy actually read a book."

Which, I know, low bar and all, but I'd like to do what I can. Thanks.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pieuvre posted:

Would anyone have recommendations on books of Roman history/culture for the non-academic? To be more specific, I'm a writer looking at doing a fantasy series in not-Rome and while 100% accuracy isn't the goal, I'd like to nail the flavor down enough that someone reading it would say "oh, hey, this guy actually read a book."

Which, I know, low bar and all, but I'd like to do what I can. Thanks.

There's Mary Beard's SPQR, although that tends to focus on the limits of our knowledge to an extent that arguably limits its value as an inspiration for fantasy novels.

Actually, you might as well go straight to the ancient texts, e.g., here: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/home.html. Some of them are full of bullshit, but that just makes them better as inspiration.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

. It was not unheard of for men to marry men or boys (Emperor Nero allegedly did this)

Well...so there are two stories about Nero. The first is by Tacitus and says that in the midst of a series of banquets, Nero dressed up as a bride and exchanged marriage vows with one of his freedmen named Pythagoras. They then had sex on the couch in front of everyone.

The second is by Suetonius and says that after his wife died, Nero found a teenage slave who resembled her named Sporus. He then castrated him, dressed him in his wife's clothing, married him, demanded everyone call Sporus empress , and treated him like his dead wife.

Please note, Suetonius includes this in a list of weird Nero sex stuff, between "incest with mom" and "rapes a vestal virgin to death"

If those stories are true, and with the second, it's a big if, that's less "Roman men married other men sometimes", and more drunken party shenanigans in the first case and weird psychosexual horror in the second.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If “dressing up as a woman, marrying a man, and having sex on the couch in front of everyone” is just everyday drunken party shenanigans to you then you go to much more interesting parties than me :stare:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

If “dressing up as a woman, marrying a man, and having sex on the couch in front of everyone” is just everyday drunken party shenanigans to you then you go to much more interesting parties than me :stare:

Well, you know, when in Rome

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've heard that a lot of the stuff that was written about Nero might've been exaggerated to make him sound extra-bad, like that other guy who plucked out baby teeth to be better at dick sucking.

The reported sexual antics of the most hated emperors seems like a bad point of reference when drawing a picture of what was accepted.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The revisionist Nero view is fairly popular these days. He was definitely not a good emperor. The ones who gained power as teenagers almost always were not good, shockingly enough. But he wasn't terrible either. His reputation was tarnished by actions that pissed off the elite class and persecuting Christians. Even a few historians of the era mentioned that elites loved to slander Nero for no real reason, and he was popular enough among the people that multiple pretenders to the throne claiming to be Nero showed up, which was not a common thing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean a lot of the wackiest things various emperors allegedly did was written by their political enemies.

It's like if 2000 years from now the only surviving sources about Obama were Infowars and Fox News so cyberspace would be full of zany holo-listicles about how crazy 21st century president Obummer was a Islamic Communist who ate dogs for dinner every night and his vizier Hillary Clinton had a pizza themed sex dungeon and a penchant for assassinating her enemies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Thinking about what historians would think about Trump was put me on the thought of how extremely unlikely events might have trouble being accepted even when they happen. From the perspective of a historian a thousand years from now, which is more likely: that he really is like this, or that it was all exaggeration by his political opponents? And I wonder how many historical events get dismissed along the same line of reasoning, even though they got recorded.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cheetah7071 posted:

Thinking about what historians would think about Trump was put me on the thought of how extremely unlikely events might have trouble being accepted even when they happen. From the perspective of a historian a thousand years from now, which is more likely: that he really is like this, or that it was all exaggeration by his political opponents? And I wonder how many historical events get dismissed along the same line of reasoning, even though they got recorded.
I thought, well, there's going to be a huge abundance of stored data, indeed a violent surfeit of it, but there is the question of how much of this is going to be archived in a reliable and accessible way. The gripping hand to this is that I think people may underestimate how easy it will be to store things like codecs and old operating systems.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Well...so there are two stories about Nero. The first is by Tacitus and says that in the midst of a series of banquets, Nero dressed up as a bride and exchanged marriage vows with one of his freedmen named Pythagoras. They then had sex on the couch in front of everyone.

The second is by Suetonius and says that after his wife died, Nero found a teenage slave who resembled her named Sporus. He then castrated him, dressed him in his wife's clothing, married him, demanded everyone call Sporus empress , and treated him like his dead wife.

Please note, Suetonius includes this in a list of weird Nero sex stuff, between "incest with mom" and "rapes a vestal virgin to death"

If those stories are true, and with the second, it's a big if, that's less "Roman men married other men sometimes", and more drunken party shenanigans in the first case and weird psychosexual horror in the second.

The Theodosian code also suggests that Christian emperors could refer to men marrying other men and expect people to understand what they meant (and that it was capitally bad). I don’t suggest that Romans were actually getting gay-married all over the place, but that it was not unheard of. I’ve read a couple of papers which suggest that what is meant by this code is not actual marriage (which seems fairly obvious since roman law does not ever seem to have recognized homosexual unions) but it does seem to me that these guys had heard that men were “marrying” other men in some way and that that was a behavior they wished to squelch, together with the whole business of effeminate men letting men have sex with them. The Latin phrase under dispute is from the start of Codex Theodosianus 9.7.3 “quum vir nubit in feminam viris porrecturam...” Lot of argumentation about this one in recent years.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
porrecturam? I hardly knew him!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nessus posted:

I thought, well, there's going to be a huge abundance of stored data, indeed a violent surfeit of it, but there is the question of how much of this is going to be archived in a reliable and accessible way. The gripping hand to this is that I think people may underestimate how easy it will be to store things like codecs and old operating systems.

Yep. There's a very good chance most of the information available now will be inaccessible since it's digital. That's why archives like the Library of Congress spend time printing out millions of pages from the internet to store.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
If Rome ran on olive oil, what did their chinese contemporaries run on?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Power Khan posted:

If Rome ran on olive oil, what did their chinese contemporaries run on?

As a lubricant? Carrageenan I think.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

cheetah7071 posted:

Trump being attacked by a bald eagle named Uncle Sam was clearly a metaphor, and you'd have to be a complete idiot to take it literally!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Another nublet question (thanks for the previous responces, that interactive map is a work of art:)

what the hell did the Roman senate actually do

I ask because the Emperor seems to have all the political power, and when he don't it the other factions are the army and/or the Praetorian guard. That, and the fact that the tetrarchy actually seems to work really well* makes me wonder what the senate actually did. If a major slice of Rome's problems were caused by the fact that the emperor was just one man, then I don't get why all the bitchy aristocrats are so butthurt every time somebody points out "but you are not doing anything about it."

Of course, as far as the ladder of political appointments goes, I basically have no idea. It starts with "supervise building and maintaining roads" and ends with "Consul" and aside from the "Consul" position being highly describable, I still don't know what its function was exactly

Two further questions:

1. I get why the start and the end of the Roman empire are well documented, is there any reason why the sources get so bad in the middle?

2. One thing that sticks out to me is that while in some ways the Romans were quite modern, when it came to economics, even the smartest period thinkers seem to struggle to articulate the issues, let alone find permanent solutions to them. Did the Romans ever have a chance to move their economy onto more stable foundations, or was this like their medicine at the time: missing so many basic concepts it was hopeless?

*on that note, it does seem odd that the Romans never figured out making laws for orderly successions

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The Senate did a lot more before there were Emperors.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Another nublet question (thanks for the previous responces, that interactive map is a work of art:)

I ask because the Emperor seems to have all the political power, and when he don't it the other factions are the army and/or the Praetorian guard. That, and the fact that the tetrarchy actually seems to work really well* makes me wonder what the senate actually did. If a major slice of Rome's problems were caused by the fact that the emperor was just one man, then I don't get why all the bitchy aristocrats are so butthurt every time somebody points out "but you are not doing anything about it."

they were the primary ruling body during the republic, and retained some power into the empire which slowly dwindled over time. technically, the emperor is simply a dude who has had basically every significant office that the senate can legally bestow, bestowed upon him.

i don't really understand your statement about the aristocrats. first of all, the tetrarchy was a dumb rear end idea that broke down as soon as there was no clear most-senior emperor. second, by the time you're talking about institutions like the tetrarchy, the senate has long since become a decorative vestige that mostly serves as a country club instead of anything meaningful. third, i don't know who the aristocrats are that you're talking about.

quote:

Of course, as far as the ladder of political appointments goes, I basically have no idea. It starts with "supervise building and maintaining roads" and ends with "Consul" and aside from the "Consul" position being highly describable, I still don't know what its function was exactly

i mean, that's because you're treating hundreds of years of history describing two very different governments as a singular thing. the consul is the leader of the republic, but there are two of them so nobody has a unitary executive authority. the roman upper classes would progress through a series of titles with increasing responsibility and then, ideally, become one of the two consuls for the year. perhaps more than once. that was the peak of a political career. during the early empire, the emperor permanently occupied one of the two consul slots, with the other being a prestigious award he could dole out (unofficially; they are still being elected, just through a system so corrupt that the emperor has effective control over every vote) to people as a reward, or to butter them up.

quote:

Two further questions:

1. I get why the start and the end of the Roman empire are well documented, is there any reason why the sources get so bad in the middle?

2. One thing that sticks out to me is that while in some ways the Romans were quite modern, when it came to economics, even the smartest period thinkers seem to struggle to articulate the issues, let alone find permanent solutions to them. Did the Romans ever have a chance to move their economy onto more stable foundations, or was this like their medicine at the time: missing so many basic concepts it was hopeless?

*on that note, it does seem odd that the Romans never figured out making laws for orderly successions

the end is pretty poorly documented compared to our understanding of the republic and early empire. in short, it's a combination of chance and the relative popularity of various texts - many of the sources we have were probably very, very common at the time. there was simply more time and more incentive for copies of cicero to be made than for some random guy writing in 380 AD. additionally, the empire was much more prosperous in the early years with more trade and luxury items, including books, spreading around. ultimately, almost everything written from the ancient world is lost.

no, the romans did not understand macroeconomics at all. nobody did for over a thousand years after them, either. it's not really something you can reason about without either a very large number of historical examples of "king so-and-so did this, and then this happened", or statistics. both played a part in the establishment of economics as a discipline, and to this day it's one of the shakiest fields of academic study. roman medicine, on the other hand, actually kicked a lot of rear end. trust me, you'd rather be treated by a roman doctor than anyone else if you have to pick a pre-1900 doctor.

as far as succession goes, they did eventually get it more or less sorted out, but only after history starts calling them the byzantines. the problem with roman succession is that no law really would have sorted it out - i mean, if you're standing on the verge of leading an army to seize the office of emperor, making that more illegal isn't really a deterrent. structuring the whole system so that handing an army to a general during a crisis isn't basically an invitation to give rebellion a go is more complicated than just making laws.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The powers and purpose of the senate varied wildly across the centuries. Under the early republic, records are sketchy, but it was probably an ad hoc nebulous body that the consuls assembled to advise them. Later on in the republic, it became a set body that was the same from consul to consul. Theoretically, the senate had no innate powers, but over time laws would get passed assigning certain duties that might have gone to magistrates, to the senate instead--for instance, it was the senate that appointed all provincial governors. It also became very customary to only present legislation to the assemblies for ratification if it passed the senate first (though technically, consulting the senate was a formality that could be and occasionally was ignored in favor of putting the legislation directly in front of the people).

Augustus' big innovation for avoiding civil wars was to leave the senate theoretically as powerful as ever. They knew the score, and wouldn't exercise their power against the emperor, but within the bounds of the emperor's approval they were free to perform their old duties. In fact, the legal basis for the emperor's power was that the senate delegated a bunch of their power to him (hence the title for early emperors being princeps senatus, roughly speaking the first man of the senate). The tradition of having the senate vote on whether or not to give each new successor the powers of the emperor never stopped, though it was pretty clearly a fiction from the beginning, and I'm not aware of any instances of the senate exercising its theoretical power to decide between multiple candidates, or to refuse to ratify someone with de facto power.

Under the empire, the real purpose of the senate, as far as I can tell, was as a way for the emperor to address all the richest, most powerful men of the empire all at once.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Nebakenezzer posted:

Two further questions:

One of the main things the Senate still did under the early Empire was provide a pool of educated and ostensibly *competent* leaders who still would be used as generals, governors, office holders etc. to actually run the Empire. Through to the crisis of the third century almost all the Emperors came from this pool of senatorial families, although their makeup was different then it was during the Late Republic. In regards to succession, when Tiberius is offering to give control of the Empire back to the Senate, how are they supposed to know this offer is legitimate and not a trap. You can kind of see how they would be wary of sticking their neck out to attain more power at the expense of the autocrat who controls the army.

Also as time went on wealth became less concentrated in Rome, and the Senatorial class was more distributed, so they just weren't in Rome. They were out in the provinces, they couldn't compete with the wealth and prestige of the Emperor in Rome, but they could build amphitheaters in London etc. and dominate local politics. Like in the Crisis of the third century, the wealthy class in Gaul essentially propped up the Gallic Empire under Postumus to deal with the Rhine Border and set up their own senate and consulate to help administer this breakaway realm.

In regards to succession being an issue, it generally wasn't for long periods of time, like ostensibly between Augustus & Septimius Severus you had 2, 1 year long civil wars the Year of Four & Five Emperors. That gets you like 2 years of actual armies clashing for the throne in ~220~ years of history. Compare this to the last century of the Republic where you had like a dozen lasting decades between Sulla, Caesar, Pompey, Gaius Marius, Augustus, Lepidus, Spain, Marc Antony, Liberators etc. Sure there was chaos at times, but it usually resulted in the Emperor and his family and some of his closest supporters getting killed. If you stayed out of the way it was probably easier to avoid losing your life and your families wealth.

Then again once you get to the Eastern Roman Empire, everything is stable for almost ~200~ years between the Theodosians and Maurice. Then there are periods of complete anarchy related to the plague sporadically killing hundreds of thousands every 20-30 years and the fact the Empire just got ripped apart by the Arabs and the ensuing religious controversies. Then everything becomes fairly stable again by the Amorians/Macedonians for another couple centuries till Romanos Diogenes gets captured by the Turks at Manzikert and you get more anarchy, then a big stable period under the Komnenoi then a clusterfuck of civil war till the end of the Empire in 1453.

Its those sources happened to survive, it probably just comes down to luck.

I mean they had some good idea's, but there was fundamental flaws.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 23, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The issue was not senators and aristocrats sitting on their butts doing nothing, it's that if they went and did big important things without the Emperor's okay, then that would be treason and they'd get executed for it. It's the emperor's choice whether or not to share or delegate power, and between wanting to exert their own personal will and preventing the risk involved in letting their armies be commanded by somebody else, they usually preferred keeping everything centered upon the one emperor.

Diocletian's idea to spread imperial authority throughout a small group was a cross between brilliance and lunacy. Maybe if he somehow created a stronger internal hierarchy between emperors with more than 4 people it might've kept the empire more intact without becoming a thunderdome of regional emperors. If you look at the more orderly successions in the medieval era, I think a lot of that came from all the independent power held by all the landed lords and the church that all agreed on a process of succession, or even engaged in complex negotiations over who would be the proper heir before resorting to war (which they sometimes resorted to anyways). Most Medieval European kings were much less "strongmen' than most Roman Emperors or even the absolutist monarchs that came later.

As for "permanently solving problems" it's worth keeping in perspective that you're looking at a bunch of centuries lumped together, and there's not really many foundations that can stay stable for over a hundred years. They had the disadvantage of not having modern science and statistics to help them plan things out, but even those don't always save the day in the present.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's probably an alternate reality out there where Diocletian's gambit was a Roman Federation, where each province has its own emperors who elect he overall emperor, and the holy roman empire truly can say it's roman

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

though it was pretty clearly a fiction from the beginning, and I'm not aware of any instances of the senate exercising its theoretical power to decide between multiple candidates, or to refuse to ratify someone with de facto power.

maximinus thrax

Historia Augusta posted:

However that may be, after Alexander was killed, Maximinus was the first man from the body of the soldiers and not yet a senator to be acclaimed Augustus by the army without a decree of the senate, and his son was made his colleague. And about the latter we shall tell later on the few things that we know. Now Maximinus was always clever enough not to rule the soldiers by force alone; on the contrary, he made them devoted to him by rewards and riches. He never took away any man's rations; he never let any man in his army work as a smith or artisan, which most of them are, but kept the legions busy only with frequent hunting. Along with these virtues, however, went such cruelty that some called him Cyclops, some Busiris, and others Sciron, not a few Phalaris, and many Typhon or Gyges. The senate was so afraid of him that prayers were made in the temples both publicly and privately, and even by women together with their children, that he should never see the city of Rome. For they kept hearing that he hung men on the cross, shut them in the bodies of animals newly slain, cast them to wild beasts, dashed out their brains with clubs, and all this for no desire for personal authority but because he seemed to wish military discipline to be supreme, and wished to amend civil affairs on that pattern. All of which does not become a prince who wishes to be loved. As a matter of fact, he was convinced that the throne could not be held except by cruelty. He likewise feared that the nobility, because of his low barbarian birth, would scorn him.

[...] (just a bunch of stuff about maximinus conquering dudes)

But by this time the Romans could bear his barbarities no longer — the way in which he called up informers and incited accusers, invented false offences, killed innocent men, condemned all whoever came to trial, reduced the richest men to utter poverty and never sought money anywhere save in some other's ruin, put many generals and many men of consular rank to death for no offence, carried others about in waggons without food and drink, and kept others in confinement, in short neglected nothing which he thought might prove effectual for cruelty — and, unable to suffer these things longer, they rose against him in revolt. And not only the Romans, but, because he had been savage to the soldiers also, the armies which were in Africa rose in sudden and powerful rebellion and hailed the aged and venerable Gordian who was proconsul there, as emperor. This rebellion came into being in the following manner.

There was a certain imperial steward in Libya, who in his zeal for Maximinus had despoiled every one ruthlessly, until finally the peasantry, abetted by a number of soldiers, slew him, after overcoming those who out of respect for Maximinus defended the agent of the privy-purse. But soon the promoters of this murder saw that they must seek relief through sharper remedies, and so, coming to the proconsul Gordian, a man, as we have said, worthy of respect, well-born, eminent in every virtue, whom Alexander had sent to Africa by senatorial decree, and threatening him with swords and every other kind of weapon, they forced him, though he cried out against it and cast himself on the ground, to assume the purple and rule. In the beginning, it is true, Gordian took the purple much against his will; but later, when he saw that this course was unsafe for his son and family, he willingly undertook to rule, and at the town of Thysdrus he, together with his son, was proclaimed Augustus by all the Africans. From here he went speedily to Carthage with royal pomp and guards and laurelled fasces, and sent letters to the senate at Rome. And the senate, after the murder of Vitalianus, the prefect of the guard, received these with rejoicing because of their hatred for Maximinus, and proclaimed both the elder and the younger Gordian Augusti. Then all the informers and accusers and Maximinus' friends were put to death, and Sabinus, the prefect of the city, was beaten by the populace and slain.

And when this had been done, the senate, now fearing Maximinus all the more, openly and freely proclaimed him and his son enemies of the state. It next dispatched letters to all the provinces, asking their aid for their common safety and liberty; and all of them gave heed. Lastly Maximinus' friends and administrators, generals, tribunes, and soldiers were everywhere put to death. A few communities, however, remained loyal to the public enemy; these betrayed the messengers who had been sent to them and promptly handed them over to Maximinus by means of informers.

The following is a specimen of the letters that the senate sent out: "The senate and Roman people, now beginning to be delivered from a most savage monster by the two princes Gordian, to the proconsuls, governors, legates, generals, tribunes, magistrates, and several states, municipalities, towns, villages, and fortified places, with prosperity, which they are just now beginning to regain for themselves. With the help of the gods we have obtained the proconsul Gordian, a most righteous man and eminent senator, as emperor. We have given to him the title of Augustus, and not only to him, but also, for the further safeguarding of the state, to that excellent man Gordian his son. It is now your part to unite, that the state may be made secure, that evil doings may be repelled, and that the monster and his friends, wherever they be, may be hunted down. We have pronounced Maximinus and his son enemies of the state."'

This was the senate's decree: After they had assembled in the Temple of Castor and Pollux on the sixth day before the Kalends of July, Julius Silanus, the consul, read the letter which had been received from Africa from Gordian the proconsul, emperor and father of his country: "Conscript Fathers, the young men, to whom was entrusted Africa to guard, against my will have called on me to rule. But having regard to you, I am glad to endure this necessity. It is yours to decide what you wish. For myself, I shall waver to and fro in uncertainty until the senate has decided." As soon as the letter was read the senate forthwith cried out: "Gordian Augustus, may the gods keep you! May you rule happily; you have delivered us. May you rule safely; you have delivered us. Through you the state is made safe. All of us, we thank you." So then the consul put the question: "Concerning the Maximini, Conscript Fathers, what is your pleasure?" They replied, "Enemies, enemies! He who slays them shall have a reward." Again the consul spoke: "Concerning the friends of Maximinus, what seems good?" And they cried out, "Enemies, enemies! He who slays them shall have a reward." And then they cried out: "Let the foe of the senate be hanged on a cross. Let the senate's enemy everywhere be smitten. Let the senate's foes be burned alive. Gordiani Augusti, may the gods keep you! Luckily may you live! Luckily may you rule! We decree the grandson of Gordian the praetorship, we promise the grandson of Gordian the consulship. Let the grandson of Gordian be called Caesar. Let the third Gordian take the praetorship."

When this decree of the senate reached Maximinus, being by nature passionate, he so flamed with fury that you would have thought him not a man but a wild beast. He dashed himself against the walls, sometimes he threw himself upon the ground, he screamed incoherently aloud, he snatched at his sword as though he could slaughter the senate then and there, he rent his royal robes, he beat the palace-attendants, and, had not the youth retreated, certain authorities affirm, he would have torn out his young son's eyes. He was enraged with his son, as it happened, because he had ordered him to go to Rome when he was first declared emperor, and this the youth, because of his excessive fondness for his father, had not done. And now Maximinus imagined that if he had been at Rome the senate would have dared none of this. Blazing with rage, then, his friends got him to his room. But still he could not control his fury, and finally, to get oblivion from his thoughts, he so soaked himself with wine on that first day, they say, that he did not know what had been done. On the next day, admitting his friends — and they indeed could not bear to see him, but stood silent and silently commended what the senate had done, — he held a council as to what he should do. From the council he proceeded to an assembly, and there said much against the Africans, much against Gordian, and more against the senate, urging his soldiers to avenge their common wrongs.

His speech was altogether that of a soldier, this being the general purport of it: "Fellow soldiers, we are revealing something you already know. The Africans have broken faith. When did they ever keep it? Gordian, a feeble old man on the brink of death, has assumed the imperial office. Those most sacred Conscript Fathers, who murdered Romulus and Caesar, have pronounced me a public enemy, me, who fought for them and conquered for them too; and not only me but you also, and all who stand with me. The Gordians, both father and son, they have called Augusti. If you are men, then, if there is any might in you, let us march now against the senate and the Africans, and you shall have the goods of them all." He then gave them a bounty — and a huge one, too — and turning towards Rome began to march thither with his army.

But now Gordian began to be harassed in Africa by a certain Capelianus, whom he had deposed from the governorship of the Moors. And when finally he sent his son against him, and his son after a desperate battle was killed, the old man hanged himself, well knowing that there was much strength in Maximinus and in the Africans none, nay rather only a great faculty for betraying. And forthwith Capelianus, the victor, in the name of Maximinus slew and outlawed all of the dead Gordian's party in Africa, sparing none. Indeed, he seemed to perform these duties quite in Maximinus' own temper. He overthrew cities, ravaged shrines, divided gifts among his soldiers, and slaughtered common folk and nobles in the cities. At the same time he strove to win over the affections of his soldiers, playing for the imperial power himself in the event that Maximinus perished.

When news of these events was brought to Rome, the senate, fearing Maximinus's barbarity — natural at all times and inevitable now that the two Gordians were dead, — elected two other emperors, Maximus, who had been prefect of the city and had held many other offices with distinction before that, humble by birth but eminent by his virtues, and Balbinus, who was somewhat fonder of pleasure. These were acclaimed Augusti by the people; and by the soldiers and the same people the little grandson of Gordian was hailed as Caesar. With three emperors, therefore, was the state propped against Maximinus. Maximus, however, was the most rigorous of life, the most sagacious, and the most uniformly courageous of the three, so finally both the senate and Balbinus entrusted the war against Maximinus to him. But after Maximus had set out to war against Maximinus, Balbinus was beset with civil war and domestic disturbances at Rome, especially after two soldiers of the praetorian guard were slain by the populace at the instigation of Gallicanus and Maecenas. The populace, indeed, were cruelly butchered by the guard when Balbinus proved unable to quell the uprising. And in the end a great part of the city was burned.

Meanwhile the Emperor Maximinus had been greatly cheered by hearing of the death of Gordian and Capelianus' victory over his son. But when he received the second decree of the senate, in which Maximus, Balbinus, and Gordian were declared emperors, he then realized that the senate's hatred for him was never to end and that everyone really considered him an enemy. Hotter than ever, then, he pushed on into Italy. He then learned that Maximus had been sent against him, and in a violent rage came up to Emona in line of battle. But the plan agreed on for all the provincials was this: that they should gather up everything that could be useful for the commissariat and retire within the cities in order that Maximinus and his army might be pinched by famine. And, indeed, when he pitched camp on the plain for the first time and found no provisions, his army was incensed at him because they suffered from hunger even in Italy, where they expected to be refreshed after the Alps, and they began at first to murmur and then indeed to speak out openly. And when Maximinus attempted to punish this, the army was much inflamed, but silently stored up its hate for the moment and produced it again at the proper time. Many authorities say that Maximinus found Emona empty and abandoned, and foolishly rejoiced because the entire city, as it seemed, had retreated before him.

After this he came to Aquileia, which shut its gates against him and posted armed men about the walls. Nor did the defence lack vigour, being conducted by Menophilus and Crispinus, both men of consular rank. So when Maximinus found he was besieging Aquileia in vain, he sent envoys to the city. And the people had almost yielded to them, had not Menophilus and his colleague opposed it, saying that the god Belenus had declared through the soothsayers that Maximinus would be conquered. Whence afterwards the soldiers of Maximinus boasted, it is said, that Apollo must have fought against them, and that really victory belonged not to the senate and Maximus but to the gods. But, on the other hand, it is said that they advanced this theory because they blushed, armed men as they were, to have been defeated by men practically unarmed. At any rate, after making a bridge of wine-casks, Maximinus crossed the river and began to invest Aquileia closely. And terrible then was both the assault and the danger, for the townsmen defended themselves from the soldiers with sulphur, fire, and other defensive devices of this same kind; and of the soldiers some were stripped of their arms, others had their clothing burned, and some were blinded, while the investing engines were completely destroyed. Amid all this Maximinus, with his young son whom he had entitled Caesar, strode about the walls, just far enough off to be safe from the throw of javelins, and besought now his own men, now the men of the town. But it profited him nothing. For against him, because of his cruelty, and against his son, who was a most beautiful creature, the townsmen merely hurled abuses.

And so now Maximinus, flattering himself that the war was being prolonged by the cowardice of his men, put his generals to death, just at the time when he could least afford to do so; by which act he made his soldiers still further enraged against him. In addition to that, he now ran short of provisions, because the senate had sent letters to all the provinces and to the overseers of ports to prevent any provisions coming into Maximinus' power. It had sent praetors and quaestors throughout all the cities, moreover, to keep guard everywhere and defend everything against Maximinus. Finally, it came to pass that he himself, while besieging, suffered the distress of one besieged. At this juncture it was announced that the whole world was agreed in hatred of Maximinus. And so some of the soldiers, whose wives and children were on the Alban Mountain, becoming fearful, in the middle of the day, when they rested from the fighting, slew Maximinus and his son as they lay in their tent, and putting their heads on poles, showed them to the citizens of Aquileia. And thereupon in the neighbouring town the statues and portraits of Maximinus were immediately thrown down and his prefect of the guard, together with his more notable friends, were slain. Their heads were sent to Rome.

This was the end of the Maximini, worthy the cruelty of the father, unworthy the goodness of the son. Among the provincials there was tremendous rejoicing at their death, but among the barbarians the most grievous sorrow.

apologies for the excessively long quote but it's one of my favorite passages from a primary roman source. every paragraph has something either dramatic or culturally interesting.

this is a good example of how the senate still had power during the pre-crisis empire. even discounting a lot of this as propaganda, they were fully capable of seizing parts of the imperial apparatus and purging supporters of the emperor, if they were so inclined as an entire body. the trick was that maximinus was basically the only guy to ever get every single member of the senatorial class pissed off at him all at once; they were incapable of flexing their power unless they were united against the emperor, but it did still exist, because these are the people who are overseeing the state. it is only after maximinus thrax and the whole mess of the crisis that the senate's powers are permanently trimmed to prevent another situation like this one.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 23, 2020

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jazerus posted:

maximinus thrax

apologies for the excessively long quote but it's one of my favorite passages from a primary roman source. every paragraph has something either dramatic or culturally interesting.

this is a good example of how the senate still had power during the pre-crisis empire. even discounting a lot of this as propaganda, they were fully capable of seizing parts of the imperial apparatus and purging supporters of the emperor, if they were so inclined as an entire body. the trick was that maximinus was basically the only guy to ever get every single member of the senatorial class pissed off at him all at once; they were incapable of flexing their power unless they were united against the emperor, but it did still exist, because these are the people who are overseeing the state. it is only after maximinus thrax and the whole mess of the crisis that the senate's powers are permanently trimmed to prevent another situation like this one.

Do remember that the Historia Augusta is very unreliable, though. It also says of Max Thrax that he was over 8 feet tall.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Do remember that the Historia Augusta is very unreliable, though. It also says of Max Thrax that he was over 8 feet tall.

yes, of course. i posted it in full for its outlandishness as much as anything. but, the core of the story is what was under discussion: did the senate ever play favorites among folks jockeying to be emperor? and the answer is, yes, so much so that they basically tried to seize the office for more pro-senate candidates several times.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 23, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I read a book once that in its sources section described Historia Augustae as the most boring ancient source they had ever read when you guys are making it sound like it kinda owns even if it's an unreliable history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Historia Augusta isn’t always boring, but some of it is. The stuff right before that (life of Severus Alexander) is this incredibly tedious and probably half bullshit exploration of the concept of the philosopher-king. Then you have a bit later on about a made-up emperor who ate ostriches.