Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

You're damned right with phillosophy.

no no, there's two chains. One behind gear stupid and the other on the far side of the counterbalancer behind the flywheel:

(that guide is a lot shorter than it should be)
It's basically two thumpers. which means one tensioner will be upside down.
also on the topic of stupid and ktm. the 03/04 flywheels don't have a keyway. they're pressfit. This means that fucker can weld to the crank over time. Guess what's behind it. The starter sprag. Guess what got an update for 05 that stops breaking sprags. If you can manage to remove the flywheel, high odds of it welding to the crank when you reinstall.
this, is what's going to kill this 950. cause when the starter clutch goes i'm throwing this engine over a fuckin' fence.
seriously try for the huge thread of photos, it'll uhh clear this kinda thing right up

Looked at pictures, now I see that the other cam is driven by a jackshaft? That is amazing, that shaft will itself be axially flexing back and forth in the middle, adding to the situation. What is even the point then?!

KTM cranks in general often seem uuuuuhhh not serviceable, at least not if you expect a decent lifespan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Looked at pictures, now I see that the other cam is driven by a jackshaft? That is amazing, that shaft will itself be axially flexing back and forth in the middle, adding to the situation. What is even the point then?!

KTM cranks in general often seem uuuuuhhh not serviceable, at least not if you expect a decent lifespan.

which adds yet another degree of freedom in loving with timing between piston/valves. I bet the resonance from every individual system converge right about here:

Slavvy posted:

found the 950 I rode had horrendous valvetrain trash/rattle at low revs but it was definitely an earlier one.

I haven't ridden a 990, or even a 'fixed' 950. with this 05+ timing gear, logically with the crank and valves timed to a static point, to match the dots on the counter balnacer and crank would mean to retard the counterbalancer by no less than one tooth with up to five/six. Are they chasing that resonance or are they chasing NVH. If it's NVH counterbalancers generally don't get timing updates.

lmao. That's one crank you jerk and toss. These engines are 5-600 on the low side now. With that my tolerance for stupid poo poo isn't very high. this cam chain guide flies dangerously close to that.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Sometimes I like to turn the fun handle so motorcycle go vroom

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Couple weeks ago I escaped the perpetual rain up to my bud in the mountains. In spite of these pictures, there was a lot of blessed sunshine. We did ride up into the clouds and get some cool shots, though.

There is supposed to be an endless vista of mountain ranges behind this overlook

The top box on the hawk worked great all day. An excellent mod. (Yes, my buddy is the one that bought my old DR)

He also collects hawks, so he gave me a set of peg lowering plates. I think they are supposed to countersink into something, that they don't on my bike. Should I get some washers to space this part where it attaches to the bike and support it? Crush washers maybe?

It fits like a glove when lowered

Coydog fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 13, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my buddy had a supertrapp on his hawk and it was extremely rad. such great bikes

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
That one appears to have a tumor growing in its back

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just think of it as a mailbox you can use all of the time, rather than seeking one out every time you need to hold groceries or raingear or equipment.

right arm posted:

my buddy had a supertrapp on his hawk and it was extremely rad. such great bikes

Supertrapps on vtwins are god tier. Ive been enamored with them ever since I rode an sv650 with a trapp a few years back.

Its not loud, but an all encompassing symphony. Really, one of my treasured things to experience these days.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

Just think of it as a mailbox you can use all of the time, rather than seeking one out every time you need to hold groceries or raingear or equipment.

Supertrapps on vtwins are god tier. Ive been enamored with them ever since I rode an sv650 with a trapp a few years back.

Its not loud, but an all encompassing symphony. Really, one of my treasured things to experience these days.

agreed. my dad had an old XR500 when I originally started on dirtbikes and they're just so so cool

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Razzled posted:

That one appears to have a tumor growing in its back

That's an awful way to characterize coydog :(

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

It's rained every day this week so I haven't ridden but I did install a set of puig bar end mirrors. Now I don't have to lean past my elbows to see behind me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Still don't see a GoPro...?

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Still don't see a GoPro...?

I would wear one for you but I don't want to end up in one of those no prisoners compilation videos.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

Couple weeks ago I escaped the perpetual rain up to my bud in the mountains. In spite of these pictures, there was a lot of blessed sunshine. We did ride up into the clouds and get some cool shots, though.

There is supposed to be an endless vista of mountain ranges behind this overlook

That is a cool and good bike. Thank you for saving it and riding it so it didn't sit in my garage gathering dust forever.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I would wear one for you but I don't want to end up in one of those no prisoners compilation videos.

That is literally the entire reason people are telling you to get one.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

That is literally the entire reason people are telling you to get one.

yeah I figured

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
So I've been fruitlessly scraping at brake fluid crust with nylon picks for a while now. They just stop working once you get to the final layer, even if you sharpen them. So I looked around and noticed the jar of hard drive bits on my shelf, left over from when I was extracting the magnets. There are lots of machined aluminum washers in hard drives, and if you file and twist them, they make a perfect non-marring scraper that cuts right through the crust. So that problem is solved, score one for my hoarding tendencies I guess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Replaced the busted parts on my Hawk after I got sideswiped a couple of weeks ago. Thank you Gorson for the spares!

While taking apart the brake pedal, I discovered another fun DSPO mod:

what's a circlip anyway

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:stare: ok haven't seen that before, christ.

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Took the radiator and exhaust headers off to clean them. Also to get at the front of the engine to clean years' worth of gunk thrown up by the front wheel.

I'm also in the process of correcting electrical fuckery by the previous owner. I think that the bike got LED indicators at one time, before being changed back to stock. They work, but the electrical connections are a mess.

Titanium!!

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

I took it out for a ride today and as I was on the last road it felt a little different so I went over the bike when I stopped and my rear tire was super low, like not even pushing the little display out on my buddies tire gauge. I rolled it back and forth a few times and couldn't see a nail or anything in the tire so I filled it up and rode it home. I'm just going to check it before I ride it to work next and hit it with some soapy water when I get there. I wonder if it's the valve stem or something. only 405 miles as of the end of this ride.

shame the money I was going to spend on that gopro might have to go toward a tire now.

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Started working on the 1982 CB400N SUPER DREAM that I bought with 30224Km on the clock:
- Started changing the front tire, had to drill out the stuck speedometer cable screw. Discovered that the rim can be used for tubeless tires, but I haven't got the nipple for it, but the correct size tube. Well then.
- Removed ball bearings from the front wheel, they are a bit sticky.
- Replaced the H4 bulb with a Cyclops LED
- Fitted heated grips, and got all the cables fitted into the headlight casing with lots of magic (and cutting, crimping)
- Fitted a throttle helper (10 seconds job)
- Checked balance chain, it has approx 20K left
- Changed fork oil (ye gods, the smell...)

Plan for the next weeks:
- Fit new ball bearings to front wheel and mount the front wheel
- Change brake hoses to steel braided ones
- Change brake pads
- Change rear tire and check rear brakes
- Change fuel hose and clean fuel filter
- Check the valve clearance
- Change engine oil and filter
- Synchronize the carburettors
- Evaluate to replace the old battery, but it seems kind of new
- Copy a couple of spare keys
- Change spark plugs with IRIDIUM plugs for MAX POWERRR
- Hope that the PO really gave me all the heat shields and stuff and mount those
...and fix the leaky exhaust

Only registered members can see post attachments!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I took it out for a ride today and as I was on the last road it felt a little different so I went over the bike when I stopped and my rear tire was super low, like not even pushing the little display out on my buddies tire gauge. I rolled it back and forth a few times and couldn't see a nail or anything in the tire so I filled it up and rode it home. I'm just going to check it before I ride it to work next and hit it with some soapy water when I get there. I wonder if it's the valve stem or something. only 405 miles as of the end of this ride.

shame the money I was going to spend on that gopro might have to go toward a tire now.

I’ve plugged rears and never had any issues :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

helstein posted:

Started working on the 1982 CB400N SUPER DREAM that I bought with 30224Km on the clock:
- Started changing the front tire, had to drill out the stuck speedometer cable screw. Discovered that the rim can be used for tubeless tires, but I haven't got the nipple for it, but the correct size tube. Well then.
- Removed ball bearings from the front wheel, they are a bit sticky.
- Replaced the H4 bulb with a Cyclops LED
- Fitted heated grips, and got all the cables fitted into the headlight casing with lots of magic (and cutting, crimping)
- Fitted a throttle helper (10 seconds job)
- Checked balance chain, it has approx 20K left
- Changed fork oil (ye gods, the smell...)

Plan for the next weeks:
- Fit new ball bearings to front wheel and mount the front wheel
- Change brake hoses to steel braided ones
- Change brake pads
- Change rear tire and check rear brakes
- Change fuel hose and clean fuel filter
- Check the valve clearance
- Change engine oil and filter
- Synchronize the carburettors
- Evaluate to replace the old battery, but it seems kind of new
- Copy a couple of spare keys
- Hope that the PO really gave me all the heat shields and stuff and mount those
...and fix the leaky exhaust

Anecdote =/= data but in my experience, iridums suck in everything including the bikes they're meant to come with, on old bikes they often result in slightly worse performance because tired rings/stem seals will foul the gently caress out of the tiny little electrode. They are fitted to new bikes in order to extend service intervals.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

helstein posted:

Even swankier than my 400T. :)
Don't bother with Iridium plugs, yer bog standard NGKs will be fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

:sexjoke:

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

right arm posted:

didn't see an obvious puncture, I wouldn't have a problem plugging it.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

helstein posted:

NGK DR8ES. Why would you not get OEM? I've literally never seen non-OEM plugs recommended for a motorcycle except for specific quantifiable reasons.

Lesson of the day: Permatex thread repair is great, it works as advertised. However if you grab the tube of thread repair from the tool box where it's been sitting since you last used it 10 years ago, be sure to also grab the acetone, because you're going to be cleaning the useless never-hardening paste out of your still-stripped threads tomorrow.

And regarding my ongoing series of brake rebuild posts, here's my sweet aluminum brake crust scraper:

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Even swankier than my 400T. :)
Don't bother with Iridium plugs, yer bog standard NGKs will be fine.

Yes. The "powerrr" on Iridium is a joke from my side, I'm more looking for longevity and easier cold starts. An anecdote, plugs are crazy expensive here in Norway. Bying 4 Iridiums from England is still cheaper than buying 2 DR8ES locally, even with courier delivery and 25% import tax.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That's insane.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Anecdote =/= data but in my experience, iridums suck in everything including the bikes they're meant to come with, on old bikes they often result in slightly worse performance because tired rings/stem seals will foul the gently caress out of the tiny little electrode. They are fitted to new bikes in order to extend service intervals.

Purely anecdotal as well, but putting an iridium plug on a G650X makes it run a little smoother because it’s ever so slightly longer than the stock plug which apparently makes it ignite differently and better. Pretty sure that’s not how this should work but I’m sure BMW has its reasons?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The ones that has had fouling on iridiums, do you live in a country with much bioethanol in your fuel? I've not noted any issues with with iridiums on my 3 bikes so far up here with pure North sea stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Purely anecdotal as well, but putting an iridium plug on a G650X makes it run a little smoother because it’s ever so slightly longer than the stock plug which apparently makes it ignite differently and better. Pretty sure that’s not how this should work but I’m sure BMW has its reasons?

You could probably get the same result with a protruding-tip variant of the normal plug, I think the ngk suffix is L? But it's BMW so gently caress knows.

Supradog posted:

The ones that has had fouling on iridiums, do you live in a country with much bioethanol in your fuel? I've not noted any issues with with iridiums on my 3 bikes so far up here with pure North sea stuff.

Only one petrol station chain has ethanol laced stuff and I tell people to avoid it but nah, it seems to be more of an older bike thing. People who race also seem to avoid them like the plague but they may have other, possibly less than objective reasons.

Regardless I've found that they don't have any more longevity (as in km's of optimal running) than normal plugs so I can't justify $25ea vs $7ea. On cars they're often expected to last 100,000km but the last 50k of that aren't much fun.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The only reason I see to go for extended service life plugs is that changing them is a total nightmare job like on some jaguar V12.

I usually take them out every oil change just to see what's left of them and to endoscope the cylinders.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I finally got around to ordering a new seat lock for my '78 Suzuki GS 750. The previous owner had gotten a key stuck in the lock and it broke off, I wasn't able to get it out so opted to just replace it.

What I ordered on eBay:

What I got:

Not that I'll be riding any time soon, what with the single digit temps and multiple feet of snow on the ground, but still a pain.
The lock does "fit", but the lock bolt is too long to fully extend with the seat down. If it really comes down to it, I can probably cut a little bit off the end (it's only about 3-4 mm too long).
There aren't a ton of old GS seat locks up for sale at the moment. I've got a message in to the seller, so hopefully they either send the right part or give me a heck of a discount.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

nadmonk posted:

What I got:

Mystery solved, the seller got back to me and indicated they accidentally shipped the steering lock. The correct part will (hopefully) be on the way.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Ever growing album of progress:
https://imgur.com/a/EJ6aKNG

Shitbike is back together and running.
valves adjusted, couple technical updates done, etc
Replaced a bunch of rubber grommets and such while it was apart as who knows how much longer this ancient gently caress will be supported.
The guys at the ktm dealer seem to be getting tired of my poo poo lmao.

Went in yesterday to grab the last parts order (that stupid pump seal) and the counter guy asked me man how old is that bike?
Counterguy#2 chimes in with "Our system doesn't even have his bike"
hey your online system works 90% of the time. *shrug*

Self induced coolant leaks:

More loving coolant leaks:

wheel swap cause knobbies die too quick:

TPS adjust, carb sync, idlespeed and a/f screws adjusted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wD4jXEEWGo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZj1mllS9hA
It's a gently caress of a lot quieter than it was.
Off to spend the rest of the weekend breaking it again.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

also considering getting a second set of wheels for a dedicated dirt set for the weekends

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't even care how many problems or maintenance you have to deal with. That is just raddest bodystyle, color/graphics, and general bike ever. Can't get enough of it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

I don't even care how many problems or maintenance you have to deal with. That is just raddest bodystyle, color/graphics, and general bike ever. Can't get enough of it.

Yeah I don’t even really like KTMs that much but that generation looks proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I personally prefer the baja colorway, but that one is a very very close second

coolest bike goes to the super enduro tho